Hetz

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, for those of you on PC (specifically Nvidia):

1. Set a 60 FPS cap either on NVCP or RTSS.
  2. Set GPU power in NVCP to Maximum Performance.
This should fix most of the stuttering in the cutscenes. Just tested it. Seems the issue is otherwise the GPU will downclock, which is causing the issue with randomn frametime spikes.

That must be why I am not noticing any stuttering like everyone else is! I already had those things done.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I've got enough games to play that I was planning to hold off on this for a while. But, I played the hell out of MK11, more than I've ever put into a fighting game, and this is looking really good, so I might go ahead and jump on it.

I was leaning toward getting the PC version so I could also play on Steam Deck, but sounds like Steam Deck can't hit 60fps, even with aggressive FSR2. I was hoping with the low PC requirement (and the existence of a Switch version) that the deck would handle it without issue. So, that makes the decision harder. Might end up getting it on PS5 so I can play on the OLED in the living room. MK11 looked great in HDR.

PicoLordens

Banned
Sep 5, 2023
Bremen, Germany
Holy moly do I suck at this game. Mk11 felt so much faster to play. I just played with my son and he absolutely annihilated me.

Game is absolutely stunning to look at. PS5 here.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
I love the combo in this game but holy shit is it annoying to watch blurry footage on youtube anytime there is gore on the screen. It sucks that content creator have to do that to not get demonetize. I hope nrs had an option to tone down the violence. I just wanna watch cool mortal kombat combos.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished chapter 2, they really outdid themselves with the story's presentation.

Did Liu Kang rewrite the universe just to kill the Ninja Mime Cinematic Universe ? Asshole gods.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
That was a damn good campaign. I wish we could get a MK show or movie that was half as good.

They finally fixed the ridiculous difficulty scaling that all of their campaigns have had in the past. The difficulty will still ramp up a bit if you're winning fights but it won't swing nearly as wildly as it did before.
I think the first half of the campaign was stronger than the second half but it was all good fun. I didn't mind the over the top fan service that it turned into but I LOVED the first half that felt like it went back to the basics. Recruiting fighters, a tournament, going on an adventure in Outworld. I wouldn't mind a full on reboot that was just that kind of stuff played straight through.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. Yeah I'm not getting that. See here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG8WzgAbtiM

I do have a 60 FPS cap set for the game in RTSS. Did you try that?

Do you have vsync off or on? I wish my frametime graph was as flat as yours :(

That must be why I am not noticing any stuttering like everyone else is! I already had those things done.

I still have stutters with both those options enabled

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Im playing on pc, im on a 6900xt.

Did benchmark and training on 4k very high, run perfectly fine. Intro video had some minor stutters.

Will go for story mode now, and try to post my impressions.

Btw, the game does some shader preparation every time it starts. I let it roll till 100%

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I'm addicted to Invasions lol - haven't even started the story yet.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Here you go DaveB and mavericktopgun

Switch footage

www.youtube.com

MK1 switch

Sweet! Thanks for sharing.

My first thoughts based on that footage is it looks slower than MK11 was (video compression, maybe?), blood not staining the ground is a glaring omission (MK11 had it), and the particle effects are scaled way, way back to a point that they look accidental.

I do however like that they didn't scale back the character select screen even if the load time is long and that matches have the same intros as the big consoles do. Other than the hitches and stutters, the combat including things like kameo moves look passable.

I have hope that they can optimize it further and restore some of the cuts; certainly on a Switch 2 if/when that happens. I remember weird stuff being trimmed in the launch version of MK11 that were later added back in (blood staining Cassie's hands during her heart fatality comes to mind). Saber are wizards with the hardware, so maybe with some time - no launch pressure anymore - they can polish it further.

Last edited:

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So two questions, one that will require a spoiler to answer.

1. Was the music from all the trailers from the game itself? Specifically the bop they had in the Reptile reveal.

2. Speaking of Reptile, I need to know if he survives or gets jobbered or in some other way is ruined by the end of the story.

Kingdom Key

Aug 4, 2021
I think I prefer MK11's story so far by a substantial margin. Just comparing the first 2-3 hours of course.

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
So two questions, one that will require a spoiler to answer.

1. Was the music from all the trailers from the game itself? Specifically the bop they had in the Reptile reveal.

2. Speaking of Reptile, I need to know if he survives or gets jobbered or in some other way is ruined by the end of the story.
1. Not sure about the music from the trailers but the music in general is 5000x better than anything they've put out in the past decade.

2. Reptile is done justice in the story. He doesn't play a huge role in the second half but he's awesome in his part of it. Fairy certain he survives.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
It is so funny they decided to keep the arm locking animations when the Switch takes a minute to load the match. It makes sense on current generation platforms and PC where they go from an intense conversation directly into a fight but on Switch, they say some threatening shit to each other and then passionately gaze into each other's eyes in total silence for a good forty seconds.

MK11 had the foresight to use JPEGs instead of the animated character selection screen from the other versions, this absolutely should have gone the same route.
The use of actual rendered graphics means they're probably not using the CPU boost to speed up the load time as well.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I can't play online at all, I can only pray the issues I had during the beta won't persist here because it was infuriating having to change my IPV4 everytime until the game decided I was able to play.

chubbpenguin

Banned
Jan 16, 2023
Can someone tell me what finishers are in this? Please dont spoil anything else. I have gone full media blackout on this game, barring the first cgi trailer, and the very first gameplay trailer.

I know there are:
Fatalities
Cameo Fatalities

Other than that? Are there friendships? Babality? Animality? Stage fatality?

Sep 28, 2022
Only interested in this game for the story. now I got wait another 4+ years for more timeline shenanigans :( I loved it though. hopefully there's a time skip allowing Hanzo to grow up, or save that for the game after. Also Onaga when?

Dec 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
on a 13700k + 4090, I am mostly happy with the PC release. The menus don't feel snappy and Fatal Blows dipping to 30frames is some whiplash stuff. It doesn't transition back to a smooth 60 right away, either.

I've seen some small visual jank on the character select screen a few times, too. The netcode leaves a lot to be desired

But mannnnn, the core gameplay is hella fun

Jun 12, 2018
on a 13700k + 4090, I am mostly happy with the PC release. The menus don't feel snappy and Fatal Blows dipping to 30frames is some whiplash stuff. It doesn't transition back to a smooth 60 right away; either.

I've seen slmr small visual jank on the character select screen a few times, too. The netcode leaves a lot to be desired

But mannnnn, the core gameplay is hella fun

What's the netcode like?

nath999

May 7, 2018
Man I wanted that freaking statue, I preordered took today off and looks like my order wont even come today. I am sad, this was my most anticipated game of the year. My only game I have not bought digital in the last year.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
jesus, the stutter in the story cutscenes is really annoying me (ps5). will probably skip story and pray that they can fix it. i don't know what it is but as soon as the camera starts moving it stutters. it almost looks like it's performance issues. this was never an issue in any nrs game so i wonder what went wrong here.

Edit: i checked max dood's stream from yesterday. no stutter and he also played on ps5. the hell?

Last edited:

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Found a high quality video of Switch gameplay on YouTube (with some guy's mug taking up a quarter of the screen) but here it is!

Good lord, that fire effect, woof.

View: https://streamable.com/bja28a

Switch 2 can't come soon enough.
francis.png

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
if I could stop holding back to block, that would be nice! haha. Only played a single match, but stoked to get it going after work.

PalaceMidas

May 19, 2018
Only interested in this game for the story. now I got wait another 4+ years for more timeline shenanigans :( I loved it though. hopefully there's a time skip allowing Hanzo to grow up, or save that for the game after. Also Onaga when?

Pretty sure that's the end of timeline shenanigans. We'll get an expansion with Havik and his gang but the next game will be set purely in the new era. It's very telling that Liu seemingly gives up his role as the keeper of time to Geras thereby making him less godlike, and they kept all the key roles alive for the future. With Sindel the only fatality.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Finally got my key from CDKeys. Installed and ready to go! .

IT HAS BEGUN!

I'm so fucking pumped.

*fake edit*

Compiling shader now, lol

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
jesus, the stutter in the story cutscenes is really annoying me (ps5). will probably skip story and pray that they can fix it. i don't know what it is but as soon as the camera starts moving it stutters. it almost looks like it's performance issues. this was never an issue in any nrs game so i wonder what went wrong here.
The 30fps in this definitely feels off in Invasions so sad to hear it is in the Story too.

It is one of those especially juddery 30 fps but the fights have been smooth as silk apart from a hitch when doing a multiple opponent fight.

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: i checked max dood's stream from yesterday. no stutter and he also played on ps5. the hell?
Flashing back to when I first played Alien Isolation way back in 2014... couldn't stand that opening cutscene stutter (the most egregious example I've experienced and stuck with me)

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
They either forgot to write cancel as kancel while the shaders are installing for example or it is a word they cant change due to cert.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
Dunno if it's just beta muscle memory but Frost is still everywhere.

A low cancellable freeze Is just too good. The combo extension cameos don't compare to being given a free combo.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Pretty sure that's the end of timeline shenanigans. We'll get an expansion with Havik and his gang but the next game will be set purely in the new era. It's very telling that Liu seemingly gives up his role as the keeper of time to Geras thereby making him less godlike, and they kept all the key roles alive for the future. With Sindel the only fatality.

And even then, Jerrod!Ermac absorbs her soul into himself so I'm sure they'll bring her back.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Flashing back to when I first played Alien Isolation way back in 2014... couldn't stand that opening cutscene stutter (the most egregious example I've experienced and stuck with me)
here is the crazy thing: i started the johnny cage chapter again, since i had massive stutter in the opening. and when you replay a chapter: most (if not all) of the stutter is gone. wtf?