DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
Warner Bros. is aiming for a flawless victory, dating "Mortal Kombat 2″ for an IMAX release on Oct. 24, 2025.

The first "Mortal Kombat," a martial arts-inspired adaptation of the popular video game created by Ed Boon and John Tobias, opened in theaters and on HBO Max in April 2021, earning $42 million domestically and $83 million worldwide.
The sequel, first announced in Jan. 2022, will be written by Jeremy Slater, best known for the Disney Plus Marvel series "Moon Knight." Simon McQuoid, who directed "Mortal Kombat," returns to direct the follow-up. Karl Urban, Adeline Rudolph, Lewis Tan, Jessica McNamee, Josh Lawson, Tadanobu Asano, Mehcad Brooks, Ludi Lin, Damon Herriman, Tati Gabrielle and Martyn Ford star, with Chin Han, Joe Taslim and Hiroyuki Sanada. Raphael Margules, J.D. Lifshitz, Zach Cregger and Roy Lee are producing.
variety.com

‘Mortal Kombat 2’ Lands October 2025 Release Date

Warner Bros. has dated "Mortal Kombat 2" for an IMAX release on Oct. 24, 2025.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The first movie starts and ends with some decent action. It also has literal plot armor and a terrible self-insert protagonist. Im very into some of the casting for the sequel and will give it a shot

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I like Lewis Tan, but PLEASE shift his character over to support.

Even if that means reverting Scorpion back to Sanada, focusing on Johnny Cage, whatever.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't hate the 2021 MK movie but man it needed improvements. Hopefully the sequel is better.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It says Zach Cregger is producing, which is either wild, or a typo. I think they conflated that producer list with some other movies at the studio.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Is the first one worth watching?
It's got a legit decent first act, and a campy and fun third act, but the second act can be tough to get through. Reeks of executive meddling.

Speculation and spoilers and conspiracy theorizing for those who have seen it:
The whole "unlock your Arcana" subplot feels like a Producer's note taken to the extreme, and I suspect it was not part of the original script. In the movie, we see Kano get his eye gouged during the fight with Reptile. Perfect place to introduce the metal laser eye, right? But, no, doesn't happen. Instead his eye is now just magic arcana like everyone else's abilities.

I highly suspect that "unlock your Arcana" subplot was a studio mandate when some suit decided there needed to be a unifying explanation for everyone's abilities or else the audience would be confused.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I feel like they could pull a Highlander 3 and just ignore the first movie mostly and make it more of a traditional MK movie. Like with a tournament. And no Cole.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
soul-sucked-kabal.gif

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope they retcon the stupid idea of how fighters get theor power. Dumbest idea ever created. Who really did come up with this? How Ed Boon accepted insanity?

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
It's got a legit decent first act, and a campy and fun third act, but the second act can be tough to get through. Reeks of executive meddling.

Speculation and spoilers and conspiracy theorizing for those who have seen it:
The whole "unlock your Arcana" subplot feels like a Producer's note taken to the extreme, and I suspect it was not part of the original script. In the movie, we see Kano get his eye gouged during the fight with Reptile. Perfect place to introduce the metal laser eye, right? But, no, doesn't happen. Instead his eye is now just magic arcana like everyone else's abilities.

I highly suspect that "unlock your Arcana" subplot was a studio mandate when some suit decided there needed to be a unifying explanation for everyone's abilities or else the audience would be confused.
And didn't Sonya splash something in Kano's eye and it caused it to malfunction, sparks an all? It has been a while so I might be misremembering, either way the Arcana shit really brings the movie down.

The only true bright spots are the opening and the bizarre choice they made with Kabal.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
The MK franchise peaked with Mortal Kombat: Annihilation and no one will convince me otherwise.

tumblr_pu9gcbCSAI1x0bvwko1_540.gif