Sento

Nov 1, 2017
It only showed Goro and Sub-Zero being teleported, not Kano or Kabal.
I think they'll do without those two just cause there are so many other characters that they'll want to get to without it getting bloated. Cage will fill the Kano humor void
Kano is definitely coming back. He lost his eye and the dragon mark, perfect way for him to get the cybernetic eye.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Now that the original is on HBO Max I watched (most of) it last night before falling asleep. While I still had fun with the reboot, I do definitely think the original was much better. It feels more cohesive and like more of a journey (despite in narrative being more focused). Good shit. Can't wait to watch Annihilation later lol.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
fanfest.com

Mortal Kombat 2 Is Reportedly Moving Forward, WB Happy With FIlm

Mortal Kombat has gotten some pretty mixed reception thus far. I think a lot of people watched it though because some of the people behind the scenes think a se
FLAWLESS VICTORY!

kunglao.gif

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
God what a terrible movie. And the acting from everyone is sooooo bad. Laughed so hard that they tease Johnny Cage at the end as if he is this big important character or something.

Last edited:

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
I thought that was super clear what his armor was doing. It was literally glowing wherever he was hit. I even commented with friends he's got jobber armor. It's just that it's boring as shit.
yeah, it could have been interesting, but I found the way the movie used it was very boring.

Kano is definitely coming back. He lost his eye and the dragon mark, perfect way for him to get the cybernetic eye.
Yep, seems obvious.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went into it with mediocre expectations and thoroughly enjoyed it. So did my girlfriend and my friend's girl. Considering how loose mk is with lore these days, I liked the new take. Some dumb stuff sure.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

After watching the trailer for the movie I had zero interest in watching the full release, and had no idea why people were so hyped for it. This video succinctly explains exactly why I was justified lol.

If I want to watch cool fatalities I'll just play the damn game. I can't believe the filmmakers invented a whole new character for the movie, what in the fuck. So many existing points of view they could have chosen for a story. A new character just betrays their complete lack of confidence in the IP.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
God what a terrible movie. And the acting from everyone is sooooo bad. Laughed so hard that they tease Johnny Cage at the end as if he is this big important character or something.

While I agree with your first statement, the last one is incorrect. Cage is actually VERY important. To the point where his bloodline is the one that ultimately finishes off a crisis.

Cage should have been in this movie. But that's another conversation.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
It was okay, I kinda half watched it in the background though. It got me to buy MKX and 11 (on sale at humble bundle for steam right now) so I can continue that story which I think is much better executed. So I hope this helps make some cash for NetherRealm.

I'd watch a sequel but please ham it up way more. Only Kano felt right to me.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got to watch this during a flight and I was honestly really let down. First act or so of the movie is great but the second half of the movie feels like they ran out of budget and had to cram everything in. Also this movie needed some subplots and characters cut out.

Also Scorpion being a glorified cameo stunk

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Halfway through the movie. So far it's a great Cutie Mark Crusaders episode. :)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i knew it was going to be dumb but i thought it was going to be "nudge nudge, wink wink" kind of dumb. i kind of regret not turning it off after half an hour or so but it was still kind of fun i guess

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
For a movie entirely about magic ninjas fighting, the actual fight choreography was astonishingly bad. The Jax vs Reiko fight in particular was so lackluster, it looked like a highschool play.

And holy shit the main cast was unlikable. Just a charisma vacuum all around. And why make up a new character to be the protagonist? And then cast a guy with all the charm and appeal of plain oatmeal?

MK '95 remains unquestionably the best video game movie. I should watch it again...

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it! I don't find the "no tournament lol" criticism to be illegitimate, because the tournament didn't happen on the count of Shang Tsung trying to cheat. It's well within the realm of movie logic, unlike something from Game of Thrones and "Danaerys kind of forgot about Iron Fleet" nonsense.

I liked MK95's actors more. Linden Ashby, Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa and of course Christopher Lambert brought INSANE amounts of charisma and personality to the whole affair which overall had a far more nonsensical plot. It also did Sub Zero dirty! Ahem...anyway, the 95 version also had a personal journey aspect of Liu Kang trying to avenge his brother, so it feels epic and has lot of stake riding on Liu's shoulders. The new movie did not have that aspect. It's just about fighters finding their arcana and beating bad guys. And the actors lacked that magnetic screen presence of MK95 heroes. I found that Raiden was woefully miscast. But really there is nothing that can come close to Christopher Lambert's towering achievement. MK95 Raiden had to simply show the electric spark in his eyes and everyone's balls would disappear in sheer terror. In this one, Raiden is a grumpy, frustrated dude that doesn't believe in his Fighters and someone who Shang doesn't even take seriously. Keep in mind that Raiden is Thunder god, and Shang is just a sorcerer. Kinda rubbed me the wrong way. The movie lacked good characterization.

Scorpion and Sub Zero however were the highlight of the film. Kung Lao's fight scenes were awesome too! And that fatality is easily the gore highlight. Kano was fun to watch. Sonya had much better material to work with this time. Good stuff.

Cole was...whatever. He can't carry the film unfortunately but he was there for the non gamer audience. However, I have high hope that for the sequel Johnny Cage can take center stage and make it work. Just don't cast a random D list actor....please. overall I would give it 7.5/10 and yes I very barely liked it more than MK95.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished this and quite liked it. Though I don't really have a reverence for the lore of Mortal Kombat so I don't know or care how this butchered it.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Watched it yesterday and thought it was fun. Wasn't as good as the original but the awesome fight scenes made up for any shortcomings. I will say one thing, the acting was rough. The guy who played kano stood out and of course Sanada was fantastic even though he wasn't in it for long.

All in all it was a decent action flick. Could have been far worse.

Also on an unrelated note: why is the search engine here so fucking bad? Look for "mortal kombat movie" thread here and not fuck all shows up. I go to google and type "mortal kombat movie resetera" and the thread I was looking for popped right up. Whats the deal with that?

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched this. Obviously MK95 is better, but I enjoyed this one. It was fun in a campy direct-to-video sort of way.

Joe Taslim is awesome, and he's good in everything. The choreography didn't do him justice compared to his scenes in The Raid and The Night Comes for Us. That is a high bar, to be fair.

Max Huang was great as Kung Lao, and I wish he had made it to the sequel. Cole could have been removed from the movie entirely, though Lewis Tan was not the issue.

It's kind of crazy how many things fell into place for the 1995 film.

Last edited:

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
I just watched it, and I must say, wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it a lot.

Kano was the best character. I was skeptical about the actor at first but he did a great job. Kung Lao was also good. I even liked Sonya, who's a much better character in the movies than she had ever been in the games. The fatalities and several easter eggs and nods to the games were great (Liu Kang's Bicycle kick, Kung Lao teleport and flurry of punches, Eddie Tobias, etc).

Too bad they did Liu Kang dirty and while I'm glad Cole Young has a relation to another character, I think he should have been Sub Zero's descendant trying to clear his family name fighting for Earthrealm (thus being Kuai Liang). A little more backstory to Scorpion and Sub Zero would also be appreciated. His wife and child added nothing to the story though.

The goons (Mileena, Kabal, Reiko, etc) were only there to be killed by the earthrealm heroes and honestly, I don't mind. As Shang Tsung said, there's a ton of other characters they can put in the sequel, no need to waste much screentime with them. I just wish Goro were saved for the tournament.

Raiden and Reptile sucked so bad.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this and what a shitty movie. It was so contrived and predictable. The acting was bad, the effects were bad, and the story was bad. Just overall a terrible, terrible waste of time.

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Lol, just remembered the most ridiculous thing.

Those 2 monks tending to Jax were clearly Sektor and Cyrax because no way in hell 2 people in a cave could implant those prostetic arms that were fully connected to his neurons and functional in like, a day with no rehabilitation at all. Maybe that was the arcana all along.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It was okay, I enjoyed it but I realize that's because I'm a big MK fan. Some character reviews:

Kano: so I keep reading he was the best part of the movie, and I just don't see it, and I'm pretty sure that's because I watched it in Spanish. His cursing was soooo cringe in Spanish at least. But even the whole "a spring roll gives Kano laser vision" scene was just not very good. I appreciate the MK1 fatality scene, but it looked kind of goofy.
★★★

Sonya: I keep reading she was bad, but I actually really liked her! Not sure if that's related to the dub, either. I like that her purple rings are not laser guns, like in recent games. I was rooting for her because she didn't have her own dragon mark yet she was clearly more badass than... pretty much everyone who did.
★★★★

Cole: what is this, make it stop. It's not that I oppose having a newcomer, but he just looked so bland next to so many iconic characters. I don't want to see more of him, but I know we'll have to, so at least give him more character.

Sub-Zero: best character was flawlessly portrayed. I expected nothing less from Joe Taslim
😍 Due to the story he doesn't get a lot of development, but I don't think he needed to, since this is MK and it's all about the action. I'd love a Taslim skin for MK11.
★★★★★

Scorpion: same as above, the Sub-Zero fights with him were some of my favorite parts. So glad we have Scorpion himself pronouncing Shirai Ryu correctly :P
★★★★

Reptile: No. I actually think Reptile shouldn't be human again, but he's just really forgettable in this movie. Isn't he a fan favorite? :(
★★

Liu Kang: By virtue of not being the protagonist he doesn't get any development at all, but he really nailed his part and I want to see more Liu Kang in the next movie. Liu Kang is one of my favorite characters and I'm happy with Ludi Lin's version.
★★★★

Kung Lao: Perfect Kung Lao, so sad to see him gone so quickly :( He made that Kano scene bearable and also nailed the look.
★★★

Jax: Not sure I love that his "power-up" was just upgrading his metal arms, but otherwise he was good. He got to do his classic MK2 fatality too!
★★★

Raiden: I can't remember his costume at all. He was just kind of there. That being said, I kind of liked that he was a total jerk, lol, it's not what I expected at all. I think he could be more interesting in the next movie.
★★★

Goro: Goro was Goro. I wish he had a bigger role.
★★

Reiko: Not really feeling it. A shame because I do like Reiko.

Mileena: Kind of underwhelming, I guess I liked her mouth transformation. She looked great, but I guess I just wish she was given a bigger role since it's one of my favorite characters. It's sad that we won't see her interacting with Kitana.
★★

Shang Tsung: Man, I don't know. He looks the part but there was nothing remarkable about him. Good thing we might see more of him in the next movie. I didn't hate him, though. I'm going to give him a bonus star just because he looked really cool.
★★★

Kabal: I've never liked Kabal :x That being said, he was fine in the movie, can't complain too much.
★★

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Mileena: Kind of underwhelming, I guess I liked her mouth transformation. She looked great, but I guess I just wish she was given a bigger role since it's one of my favorite characters. It's sad that we won't see her interacting with Kitana.
She and Goro were absorbed by the black smoke. They'll come back.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Semi related. I watched Scorpion's Revenge because it was leaving HBO Max and it's pretty rad. On the whole it's a thin telling of the original tournament focused most on Scorpion. But no less thin than this movie was. And being it was focused on Scorpion, there were similarities to what this movie did. The whole opening is the lin kuei and Sub-Zero going after Scorpion and his family. What plays well are the fights and such. I had low-ish expectations based on the modern DC animated movies. They're well directed, animated, and try to be inventive and stylish at points.

It's something how each telling of Mortal Kombat finds a new way for Jax to lose his arms. I'm pretty sure he just wears power armor over his arms in the old games. Or maybe that was just in Annihilation.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched it. I enjoyed it for what it was and would agree with my friend and give it a 6.5/10.

I also enjoyed it more than either of the two original movies, which I hold no nostalgia for and which do not hold up at all for me even though I watched them when they came out and even saw the second in theaters.

I wouldn't watch this one again on my own, but I'd watch a sequel for sure, or re-watch it if a friend requested.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I finished the movie, and I understand what they were trying to do.

The writers thought that Liu Kang was too bland to be a protagonist. They figured since Scorpion's the most popular person in the game, why not make him a good guy? Johnny Cage's too annoying? Leave him out of the first movie and make the new Scorpion the surrogate character. But that that comes with risks. They had to absolutely nail the acting and keep the script airtight in order to make it work.

Unfortunately, both aspects failed the movie.

No one outside of possibly Kano looked good acting wise. And virtually none of them could match their original actors. Cole, the centerpiece of it all and the most crucial character comes off as wooden and unlikable, a lethal combination for a new character in an existing franchise.

The changes they made to the plot makes things even more flimsy for the film. It felt like the bad guys could simply invade without the need of a tournament with all the cheating they've been doing. It would have been nice to at least seen what the Elder Gods were thinking. Then we got usual complaints like Cole leading his family to danger or not saving Kung Lao when he had a better shot at doing so than Liu Kang.

And as amazing as the animation looked at times, it felt uneven in areas such as Jax's arms. And the fight scenes didn't wow me either.

And the weird thing is, it felt like they genuinely cared for the product. We got plenty of callbacks to lines and moves from the games and movies. But there were more misses than hits, and that included the mishandling of Nitara and Reiko. Sonya was an afterthought outside her rivalry with Kano.

The explanation of powers felt like a solution looking for a problem. It would have been less weird if they could have simply been capable of doing their moves on their own the whole time.

This isn't a complete failure, but I wasn't impressed with what I god. 4.75/10