ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I was a diehard fan of the Mortal Kombat series growing up, playing the original trilogy as well as the fourth game competitively in arcades most weekends for years as a kid. I loved the characters, the violence, the lore, the secrets, the sound design, etc. It was a defining series that shaped my taste in videogames moving forward. Once the series moved on to home consoles starting with Dark Alliance, however, the MK games fell out of favor with me. Three games came and went over a console generation without garnering my interest, and I figured that MK's best years would forever remain enshrined in its 90's arcade heydays.

But then Mortal Kombat 9 dropped in 2011 and exceeded all of my expectations while reviving a long dormant fanbase.

I'll never forget the building excitement leading up to the release of MK9. It felt like the old days. Little details were leaking out pre-release, and the ol' rumor mill started churning at full speed. People who had early copies of the game were sneaking out little GIFs or videos of Babalities, old rumored stage fatalities made reality (e.g. the Living Forest), secret characters (e.g. Cyborg Sub-Zero). Everything was being discovered and shared at a much faster pace than how things were in the arcade days, but that old MK mystique had seemingly returned in a big way. It was great.

156728_screenshot_04_l.jpg

I went to a midnight release for MK9 and ended up communing with a bunch of old MK fans who were returning to the series for the first time in a decade. It was great reliving memories of the arcade era with them while waiting for midnight to strike, and I ended up placing second in a tournament that they held for the game in the store. When I got the game home and started digging into it, I was blown away by the sheer wealth of content on offer.

Seriously, MK9 crammed more meaningful content into a fighting game release than any game before or since, IMO. It's just staggering. Here are some stand-outs:
  • An absolutely stacked cast of characters covering the entirety of the original trilogy and then some.
  • Gameplay that returned to its 2D roots after years of middling 3D design. It was still stiff compared to its Japanese counterparts, but it was easily the most competitive that an MK game had been in ages.
  • 2v2 tag-team game mode that would sadly not return in later installments. This was a severely underrated feature, IMO. The small handful of 2v2 tournaments that I watched were a real treat, and it was great to be able to involve four people at once during local multiplayer. I'd like to see this return in MK11, honestly.
  • Robust online options with a well-designed spectator/lobby mode. The netcode wasn't great, however, and NetherRealm wouldn't really nail that aspect until much later with the addition of rollback netcode in MKXL.
  • Easily, hands-down the best Story Mode ever in a fighting game. Even its successor couldn't top this memorable reboot of the original trilogy's plot. It was such a smart decision to have Raiden go back and try to change the events that led up to the point in Armageddon where the story (and frankly the game design) had gotten muddled to the point of needing a reboot. Seeing the events of MK1-3 told with so much more detail and character development was a real treat, and no other fighting game has come close since MK9's release IMO.
  • An absurd number of meaningful unlockables via the Krypt. That's right. Actual unlockables. No microtransactions, no grinding. Just unlocking cool shit with a fun interface as a reward for playing the game any way you see fit.
  • An extremely generous number of stages covering nearly all of the standouts from the original trilogy. It was so great seeing these classic stages recreated in higher fidelity. They nailed this aspect of MK9, IMO.
156728_screenshot_10_l.jpg

There is more I could praise, but I'll leave it at that for now. The gameplay in NetherRealm games is always a bit stiff for my tastes, but that never stopped me from enjoying MK9 for what it is as a total package. It's such an amazing work of quality fanservice, and one that more than earns its sale price in a genre where most games offer comparatively meager content at full-price + microtransactions.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went out and bought this leading up to the launch of MK9:

BVtOXKH.jpg

Made playing the game so much more fun. Played till my hands ached.

MK9 is my favorite MK fighting game, it has it all. The best story, awesome content, so much fun to play. One of those games where you get super hyped for the release, and it completely lives up to your expectations. Awesome, awesome game.

EDIT: I like how they had completely different animations for human cyrax and sektor that were still exactly the same number of frames as their cyborg animations, so they played exactly the same, but looked radically different.

EDIT: That said, most of what MK9 did right, was iterated upon from MK vs DC. MK vs DC is janky, but it deserves mention for setting the foundation for all of NRS fighting games. The main difference between MK vs DC and MK9, MKX, Injustice, etc is budget. MK vs DC feels like a direct to VHS movie compared to cinematic blockbusters that were MK9, Injustice, etc.

I'd love for them to try MK vs DC 2 but with MKX/Injustice 2 levels of production.

Scubamonk

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, MK 9 was almost perfect. Those fucking Shao Khan fights in the story mode though... That aside, probably my favorite MK game. Best roster, best story mode, challenge tower was cool, and killing off like 90% of the main cast was ballsy.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I like X, I think 9 nailed the aesthetic more. Great to watch competitive too.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
100 per cent agree. MKX was kind of a let down after MK9. If MK9 was a retelling of 1,2, and 3 I was hoping MKX was going to keep it going and revisit 4 and the others.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, MK 9 was almost perfect. Those fucking Shao Khan fights in the story mode though... That aside, probably my favorite MK game. Best roster, best story mode, challenge tower was cool, and killing off like 90% of the main cast was ballsy.
Oh, jeez. I forgot to mention the excellent Challenge Towers in the OP.

Cyborg Reptile was so cool! I wish he was a playable character.

ReginOfFire

Oct 29, 2017
gameplay wise its pretty boring and slow, i like X gameplay much better but everything else in MK9 is perfect

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Agreed. The amount of content that game had, plus the incredible story mode has yet to be surpassed. X came close, content wise, but the story mode wasn't nearly as good.

The shit they ended up doing with the cast, replaced Liu Kang with Johnny Cage floored me lol

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know how I beat them the first time. I am replaying the game on Vita but I am stuck on his fights.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I can't believe they messed up Mortal Kombat X so bad. The story mode was so short and disappointing, all the dead characters from MK9 stayed dead and Shinnok was a huge disappointment. Skipping ahead 20 years with the kids of the main characters was absurd.

Lastly as a fighter there's SO MANY characters missing. Instead they filled up the roster with movie monster guest characters and barely brought anyone from MK9 back. Just the MK1 characters minus Shang Tsung and a few from MK2 and that's it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. The amount of content that game had, plus the incredible story mode has yet to be surpassed. X came close, content wise, but the story mode wasn't nearly as good.

The shit they ended up doing with the cast, replaced Liu Kang with Johnny Cage floored me lol

I like what they've done to Sub Zero's character. He's honorable again. I'm ready for him to take his rightful place as hero of the series yet again.

Watching him squash his beef with Scorpion in MKX was probably the highlight of that game.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the standard for fighting games that everyone has been trying to reach since, even those that made it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe they messed up Mortal Kombat X so bad. The story mode was so short and disappointing, all the dead characters from MK9 stayed dead and Shinnok was a huge disappointment. Skipping ahead 20 years with the kids of the main characters was absurd.

Lastly as a fighter there's SO MANY characters missing. Instead they filled up the roster with movie monster guest characters and barely brought anyone from MK9 back. Just the MK1 characters minus Shang Tsung and a few from MK2 and that's it.

I agree. MKX should have concentrated on Shinnok, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, and Quan Chi, since the entire plot originally revolved around those 4. Moving the story to Johnny Cage and his kids was really, really stupid.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's the standard for fighting games that everyone has been trying to reach since, even those that made it.

I feel like Injustice 1 had an even better story mode, thanks in large part to the awesome comic book series that came before it. Hit all the right beats.

Injustice 2's story had a lot of the same faults as MKX's story as far as I'm concerned. The beats just didn't hit, it felt disjointed and the stakes kind of die off midway through the game. They are both poor story sequels to the originals.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the greatest franchise revivals ever. They got basically every single important thing right.

Playing through the story mode was like playing through the stories I half remembered from schoolyard stories about the originals, but now fully realised. And the super-serious-but-not-really tone was perfect. It had me laughing the whole way through at how corny it was. The game had never played better, the character designs were perfect, the kyrpt was so much fun, there was endless content to playthrough... god damn what a masterpiece of a fighting game.

As others have said, MKX moved the story in the wrong direction, though I did love the gameplay changes and how they redid the roster instead of just building on MK9's roster.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
I agree. MKX should have concentrated on Shinnok, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, and Quan Chi, since the entire plot originally revolved around those 4. Moving the story to Johnny Cage and his kids was really, really stupid.

Agreed. I liked the new Outworld characters but the kids were anything but exciting. I also didn't much care for Cage and Sonya's chemistry.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018

What's even more baffling is the story mode has fully CPU controlled characters like Baraka, Rain and Sindel and these characters were never added as playable through DLC.

Like wtf? What kind of fighter has characters in the story mode with full movesets and then gives fans no way to play as them?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I freaking love Sub-Zero 2's voice in this game. I wish he'd continued voicing Sub-Zero in MKX (although I love his voice in MKX as well). Sub-Zero 2 in MK9 reminds me of Uncle Phil:

The scene where he fights Ermac after Ermac blows Jax's arms off feels so intense. MK9 did a good job of making even fodder fights like Ermac feel weighty.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I liked the new Outworld characters but the kids were anything but exciting. I also didn't much care for Cage and Sonya's chemistry.

I liked Kotal Kahn and the outworld characters until the very end when they turned heel for no fucking reason. They should have teamed up with Raiden and Earthrealm, it would have been a neat reversal of expectations.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like wtf? What kind of fighter has characters in the story mode with full movesets and then gives fans no way to play as them?

To be fair, the original MK games did this, lol. If you use codes to play as Boss or hidden characters, they had hidden movesets that the devs would use for testing purposes. They were super limited, though.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Injustice 1 had an even better story mode, thanks in large part to the awesome comic book series that came before it. Hit all the right beats.

Injustice 2's story had a lot of the same faults as MKX's story as far as I'm concerned. The beats just didn't hit, it felt disjointed and the stakes kind of die off midway through the game. They are both poor story sequels to the originals.

I read way too many comic books to get into the Injustice story; it happened during a time DC was embracing dark and gritty just cause and Injustice's Elseworld is one that betrayed Superman's character. He just flips to heel immediately. I dunno, Mortal Kombat logic + DC chartacters = me shrugging. The Injustice comics has it's moments.

But the wide amount of content in MK9 no game has reached yet, except maybe Smash Brothers?

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Johnny Cage is best character, of course. X showed this more in some ways, through his interaction with old and (the brilliant new) characters, but still. MK9 confirms Johnny is the man.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
To be fair, the original MK games did this, lol. If you use codes to play as Boss or hidden characters, they had hidden movesets that the devs would use for testing purposes. They were super limited, though.

Yeah, but its jarring because these were regular characters with the same movesets as MK9. Baraka, Sindel and Rain couldn't have been made playable at least?

Others like Nightwolf and Styker only appeared in the cutscenes but not fightable, so I could understand why they weren't added.

Gemeanie

Oct 27, 2017
SEA
The story mode was amazing. I was delighted to finally see Cyrax, Sektor and Smoke in human form and the twist in Liu Kang's and Raiden's relationship was so good. My only complain was the good guys got killed off too fast towards the end.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read way too many comic books to get into the Injustice story; it happened during a time DC was embracing dark and gritty just cause and Injustice's Elseworld is one that betrayed Superman's character. He just flips to heel immediately. I dunno, Mortal Kombat logic + DC chartacters = me shrugging. The Injustice comics has it's moments.

But the wide amount of content in MK9 no game has reached yet, except maybe Smash Brothers?

See, it's not the villainous portions of Injustice that made me like it, but rather the opposite. When the good superman finally shows up, it truly feels like the world has it's back against the wall, especially because there had been 3 seasons of comics and an entire game's worth of cutscenes showing how opposing Superman was pretty futile. All the planning, all the work batman had done behind the scenes for years still couldn't stop Superman. Our Superman showing up felt suitably heroic, and the stakes were high enough.

I dunno, I really liked it. Also the way Green Arrow died in the comics. That was badass.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Johnny Cage is best character, of course. X showed this more in some ways, through his interaction with old and (the brilliant new) characters, but still. MK9 confirms Johnny is the man.

I like Johnny Cage's MKX pre-fight scene with goro where he references the MK movie. Overall, I love the goofiness that Cage brings to the series.

But he should not be the heroic lead. Nor should Casey Cage, IMO. I was waiting for Sub Zero and Frost to show up and play an important role, but they were side characters at best. Most of Sub-Zero's story in MKX is told through the comics entirely offscreen.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, it's not the villainous portions of Injustice that made me like it, but rather the opposite. When the good superman finally shows up, it truly feels like the world has it's back against the wall, especially because there had been 3 seasons of comics and an entire game's worth of cutscenes showing how opposing Superman was pretty futile. All the planning, all the work batman had done behind the scenes for years still couldn't stop Superman. Our Superman showing up felt suitably heroic, and the stakes were high enough.

I dunno, I really liked it. Also the way Green Arrow died in the comics. That was badass.

I do appreciate them staying true to comics but so easily resurrecting characters like the books.

Replacing characters with alternate versions is basically the same.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
The one thing I really liked about the story, and would like to commend the developers for it....

It would've been so easy to just throw out all the canon and start from scratch, but instead of taking the easy way out, they worked how, they had pushed themselves into a corner, as a plot catalyst to rewrite all of Mortal Kombat history. It was brilliant.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Johnny Cage's MKX pre-fight scene with goro where he references the MK movie. Overall, I love the goofiness that Cage brings to the series.

But he should not be the heroic lead. Nor should Casey Cage, IMO. I was waiting for Sub Zero and Frost to show up and play an important role, but they were side characters at best. Most of Sub-Zero's story in MKX is told through the comics entirely offscreen.

Johnny should be main imo. Make boring ass Liu-Kang a hero turned villain for future games. I'm happy forever.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do appreciate them staying true to comics but so easily resurrecting characters like the books.

Replacing characters with alternate versions is basically the same.

It was pretty annoying how they were in Injustice 2 for no reason.

and Batman was all "we have no choice but to release superman!"

Uh.... you have a dimensional portal, and there is a GOOD superman on the other side. you know, the same place those other two really weak heroes came from that you're using against braniac?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Johnny should be main imo. Make boring ass Liu-Kang a hero turned villain for future games. I'm happy forever.

Sure, Lui Kang can be a villain. And Raiden too. In many ways, this mirrors some twists of the original series.

But don't make cage the hero. Make Sub Zero the hero, because his entire character arc leads to that direction.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty annoying how they were in Injustice 2 for no reason.

and Batman was all "we have no choice but to release superman!"

Uh.... you have a dimensional portal, and there is a GOOD superman on the other side. you know, the same place those other two really weak heroes came from that you're using against braniac?

Shush. Don't think about the Injustice worlds. It has a weird mix of comic book and fighting game plot holes, since it's both.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember how much I loved it on PS3. I need to pick it up on Steam to be able to play it whenever I want. The story mode was so good.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shush. Don't think about the Injustice worlds. It has a weird mix of comic book and fighting game plot holes, since it's both.

Injustice 2 also sucked thematically because I felt like the entire thing was building for a big Superman vs Supergirl fight, like she was going to be the heroic equivalent of Superman from Injustice 1... only for that fight to come midway through the story with no real weight.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017

Making Cage the main character was the best move

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I love pretty much everything about it apart from some of the downright embarrassing designs/depictions of the female roster. Like, it's not even titillating. It's just cringe-inducing, like Sonya's dumb looking bra-less military vest.

Also, at least in the PC version the cutscene videos has some of the worst audio compression I've ever heard in a game. You can constantly hear the chirping artifacts very clearly. I have no idea how that stuff managed to pass QA.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like MK9's gameplay, but I respect the shit out of the game. The amount of content on offer was truly impressive. They also did the smart thing and positioned themselves to erase the worst characters from the story (only for X to waste this golden opportunity and reintroduce Bo' Rai Cho). It was just a really, really well thought out product. They deserve all the praise in the world for it.

Moreover, it was the beginning of them getting their shit together. They are really shoring up their weaknesses these days. I think they are a few games away from tacking that gameplay down and making something that rivals the Japanese masters.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
I love pretty much everything about it apart from some of the downright embarrassing designs/depictions of the female roster. Like, it's not even titillating. It's just cringe-inducing, like Sonya's dumb looking bra-less military vest.

Also, at least in the PC version the cutscene videos has some of the worst audio compression I've ever heard in a game. You can constantly hear the chirping artifacts very clearly. I have no idea how that stuff managed to pass QA.

What? You can't appreciate Mileena's gaffer tape costume?! lol

Yeah that shit was embarrassing lol

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, Lui Kang can be a villain. And Raiden too. In many ways, this mirrors some twists of the original series.

But don't make cage the hero. Make Sub Zero the hero, because his entire character arc leads to that direction.

Nah, Sub and Scorpion should stay side characters, and Frost should never return.
Cassie and her friend suck ass though, and both need heavy redesigns going forward.
Jin and Takeda were alright though.

Shouldn't really focus on anyone being the Hero.
Just Liu and Raiden being evil and getting there shit kicked in is all I want.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, yep. The female character models are atrocious, but NetherRealm seems to be gradually addressing that weakness of theirs with each new release. Animation is still a problem in most of their games, however. It's so stiff and awkward looking. Don't even get me started on how absurd most crouching attacks look.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

IIRC there used to be a mod out there that would let you use the uncompressed cutscenes from the PS3 version in the PC version of the game.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Definitely agree with you OP. It's just a fun fighter with a great roster, good stages and honestly a cool story that I got into (fuck Shao Khan though and his cheap ass). So many things to do in this game that I wish it came back as 360 BC and/or as an HD remaster. It many ways, MK9 reminded me of Smash Bros and that is a good thing.

On the other hand, MKX was very disappointing. I just couldn't connect with the roster and the story wasn't great. Honestly I feel the same way about IJ2 but that's another topic.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it. Definitely my favorite MK game. My only issue is that I wish it used an aesthetic that's similar to MK1-3. More realistic looking characters.