OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also wanna give a shout-out to Brutalities in MKX. The staggering quantity and quality of them in MKX boggles my mind, and I honestly prefer them to the cinematic Fatalities at this point.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really the only thing this game got wrong was Smoke's terrible hair.

We didn't deserve Smoke's hair.
01e.jpg

smoke____by_shelly_hazashi-d6md65t.png

I assume he and Sindel use the same conditioner.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
They successfully rebooted Mortal Kombat last gen, only to completely screw up the story again and the characters only one game later.

Now Mortal Kombat's story and lore is literally just as screwed as it was pre-MK9.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They successfully rebooted Mortal Kombat last gen, only to completely screw up the story again and the characters only one game later.

Now Mortal Kombat's story and lore is literally just as screwed as it was pre-MK9.
It's different, but how is it nearly as bad as it was when Armageddon hit?

Liu and Kitana rule hell, the Special Forces are taking care of earth, Outworld is going through its Civil War, and most of the other realms haven't even factored in yet.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It's different, but how is it nearly as bad as it was when Armageddon hit?

Liu and Kitana rule hell, the Special Forces are taking care of earth, Outworld is going through its Civil War, and most of the other realms haven't even factored in yet.

Literally the entire old cast is dead or MIA. The only original characters still alive are Johnny Cage, Sonya, Jax, Sub-zero, Raiden, and Scorpion.

Not only are all the other heroes still dead or MIA, but now most of the old villains are dead too. Baraka, Mileena and Quan Chi are killed off in this game. Shang Tsung, Shao Khan, Noob Saibot, Sektor, etc. are also all dead. I think only Kano, Ermac and Reptile are still alive of the older villains.

Then the other problem is the 20 year timeskip. Are you seriously telling me Liu Kang and the others all stayed dead for 20 years? Raiden and co found no way to restore their souls after two decades? These were the heroes of the franchise and they stay dead evil minons for 20 YEARS? And because of that time skip, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Jax, etc. are now all in their 50's so they probably won't stay in focus much longer. The 20 year timeskip ruined everything, because now the entire older cast is either dead or too old.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Literally the entire old cast is dead or MIA. The only original characters still alive are Johnny Cage, Sonya, Jax, Sub-zero, Raiden, and Scorpion.

Not only are all the other heroes still dead or MIA, but now most of the old villains are dead too. Baraka, Mileena and Quan Chi are killed off in this game. Shang Tsung, Shao Khan, Noob Saibot, Sektor, etc. are also all dead. I think only Kano, Ermac and Reptile are still alive of the older villains.

Then the other problem is the 20 year timeskip. Are you seriously telling me Liu Kang and the others all stayed dead for 20 years? Raiden and co found no way to restore their souls after two decades? These were the heroes of the franchise and they stay dead evil minons for 20 YEARS? And because of that time skip, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Jax, etc. are now all in their 50's so they probably won't stay in focus much longer. The 20 year timeskip ruined everything, because now the entire older cast is either dead or too old.
Being in their 40s and 50s didn't stop them from being in MKX.

Also, I'm amused by the timeskip complaint since, well, Armageddon involved the characters nearly 15 years old than their MK1 counterparts at that point. We jumped back to the present day is all.

Also, death in MK is flimsy and weak at best. Sub-Zero was killed in the last game, and he came back. Scorpion was killed, he came back. Liu Kang and Johnny Cage have both died and come back. It's basically Dragon Ball Z at this point; death really has little meaning.

MKX also has Raiden conversing with Bo Rai'Cho about how they've still sought ways to bring the heroes back to life and to the side of good, but that Quan Chi held the keys. With Quan Chi now dead, they don't know what to do so they'd need to find another way.

There's a lot of potential to take the story in a fresh, new direction. It's not perfect, but I like it. We're at the "Sub-Zero and Scorpion bury the hatchet of 20 years of hatred over a cup of tea" moments here.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a super fun game. While MKX was a polished experience, as said here already, I still prefer the overall package of MK9.

If Netherrealm takes what they learned from MKX and Injustice 2 (one of my top 5 games of last year) and wraps it up in an MK9 type package, they'll potentially create my favorite fighting game ever.

Story needs a bit of fixing up because I wasn't really fond of the direction in MKX. The Cage Clan as the heroes of the tale did not sit with me. The next generation in general were kind of lame, though I did main Jacqui. They need to be much more unique than they were. Kung Jin was truly unique, but they could've went further with the other 3. And we need way unlockable than what was offered in MKX.

Salty_Piers

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic game. However, the incredibly unbalanced cast made competitive play unbearable. If NR had given MK9 a major update instead of abandoning the game to focus on Injustice, could have been a GOAT MK contender.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
I also wanna give a shout-out to Brutalities in MKX. The staggering quantity and quality of them in MKX boggles my mind, and I honestly prefer them to the cinematic Fatalities at this point.
In MK11, every special, throw, and many strings should kill on last hit like the MKX brutals. And no activation requirements, leave that effort for the cinematic ones.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a free one for Ed Boon. If you want to make MK11 better, speed up the xray attacks. I feel that they last a little too long and they get repetitive. In something like dragon ball fighterz, the supers are fairly quick so you don't get sick of them. I think maybe cutting their length by 50% would work, just don't linger too much on the slow down bone breaks.

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
Thanks for creating this thread OP.

MK9 is my second favorite fighting game of all time and one BIG example of how a fighting game should be made on all fronts.

Waaaaaay better than X on all fronts too.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for creating this thread OP.

MK9 is my second favorite fighting game of all time and one BIG example of how a fighting game should be made on all fronts.

Waaaaaay better than X on all fronts too.

I love how easy Mk9 is to play. MKX variations were interesting but it was really hard to remember which variation had which moves. It made it hard to play multiple characters and jump all over the place. In MK9 I pretty much had down the moves for each character.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
If Shao Kahn wasn't so cheap MK9 would be my favorite fighting game ever. Everything about it was a slam dunk and it remains one of the most remarkable franchise comebacks ever.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
In MK11, every special, throw, and many strings should kill on last hit like the MKX brutals. And no activation requirements, leave that effort for the cinematic ones.

Every character should have one or two that have difficult requirements to make them a challenge to get.
But like actual skillful activations that make it worth while, not some of the stupid bullshit in x like crouch 20 times or use this move 10 times.

But yes, brutalities were the best thing X introduced, they are far better then fatalities and need to come back.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another reason why I was really disappointed with MKX was that they chickened out on some awesome things that MK9 set up. Cyber Sub Zero, Human Smoke, arcade endings like Johnny Cage training in the Orderrealm and Noob ruling the Netherrealm were all dropped in favour of retcons and no mentions.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'd completely forgotten I had this on PC (and PS3, but sold it). I need to fire it up and komplete the story mode.

No franchise was saved as hard as Mortal Kombat was with MK9. It's truly a great game with so much content it's just bonkers.

And it's one of the few games - a FIGHTER, no less - that I got 100% achievements on.

They managed to make characters like Stryker and Rain (whom fans had hated) into legit great characters.
tumblr_nrhy5dAtiy1u4suz0o1_500.gif
I don't remember much of Stryker from it, but I'm sure it's been brought up a billion times that it's clearly Cena.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I really like them as well. I personally think it's how Fatalities should be going forward. It doesn't disrupt the flow of the game and they happen naturally.

Granted, I know it would never happen because the cinematic experience is so beloved, even if people stop doing them after a few weeks, and "Finish Him" is a series staple.

The Brutalities are a great evolution to the series, for sure.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Now this is a thread I can get behind

I skipped most of the PS2 gen and when my kid brother brought home all the 3D Mortal Kombats during that eraI dunno I really didnt like them much, I mean I thought they were okay, but I think it was because I wanted MK to be 2D like it used to be. Tekken and Soul Calibur etc were doing the 3D fighters better.

I got back into the consoles back during the PS3/360 era and without knowing anything I bought MK vs D.C, and well it was ok, but was lacking due to the lack of brutality.

Finally the Demo for MK 9 came out, tried it and loved it right away, It's better than X and I dunno there is something about X that is not quite as good as 9, Nine is almost like a Modern MK Trilogy imo, with the character selection, I wish they put it out on the PS4 or Switch.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 9 Switch edition, oh man I can dream (Vita version will have to do)

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
In-game, there was only a two year difference between the events of MK9 and MKX. Also in-game, it made sense that Raiden wasn't able to find a way to bring them back to life because Quan-Chi literally owned their souls at that point.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I actually won a midnight tournament that was held inside a movie theatre; won both the TE and CE bundles. Didn't care much for the stick, left that shit in the box and sold it a few months later. Same with the book ends lol.

Was nice to play MK again after a few years of not bothering. Or rather, I guess I never cared for the series after MK3 (aside from Shaolin Monks).

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Its a good fighter for sure, though I prefer MKX by a slight margin. But yes, MK9 is a very "complete" fighter right out of the box.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Yeah, MK 9 was almost perfect. Those fucking Shao Khan fights in the story mode though... That aside, probably my favorite MK game. Best roster, best story mode, challenge tower was cool, and killing off like 90% of the main cast was ballsy.
I agree. I really need to set aside a full day to replay the story mode. I LOVED how they rolled 1-3 into the game, remixed the story and went with it.

AbbaZabba

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, thank you for this thread, sorry for the bump, but:

***spoiler warning***

Could someone explain what Raiden was stopping? I feel like there's some post MK3 stuff I'm not aware of.

If the trick was getting Shao Kahn to invade Earthrealm without winning, then shouldn't he (Shao Kahn) lose (in Mortal Kombat)? And if Shao Kahn's "winning" was simply invading Earthrealm without winning the tournament, then wasn't that already happening in the prologue, when Raiden dies?

Both ways it seems like Shao Kahn has to lose in the tournament, so Raiden's statement doesn't make sense. I know there's some story-specific logic that I'm missing, could someone please help explain?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, thank you for this thread, sorry for the bump, but:

***spoiler warning***

Could someone explain what Raiden was stopping? I feel like there's some post MK3 stuff I'm not aware of.

If the trick was getting Shao Kahn to invade Earthrealm without winning, then shouldn't he (Shao Kahn) lose (in Mortal Kombat)? And if Shao Kahn's "winning" was simply invading Earthrealm without winning the tournament, then wasn't that already happening in the prologue, when Raiden dies?

Both ways it seems like Shao Kahn has to lose in the tournament, so Raiden's statement doesn't make sense. I know there's some story-specific logic that I'm missing, could someone please help explain?

The beginning to mk9 isnt a tournament for the fate of earth, its Armageddon. Basically things got so crazy and messed up that they were fighting for the end of all life, and kahn won.

AbbaZabba

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The beginning to mk9 isnt a tournament for the fate of earth, its Armageddon. Basically things got so crazy and messed up that they were fighting for the end of all life, and kahn won.

So I did some more research (wow, and I thought the MKX story was rough) and it looks like Raider must have meant conquering Earthrealm at the end of MK3. By doing that, which is different from the MK3 ending, the Elder Gods come in and eat Shao Kahn yadda yadda yadda.

Still, not super clear (although it still sounds cool).

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
MK9 was responsible in garnering my interest in fighting games again. I played it for hours back in the day, good times :)

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't defeat Shao Kahn with Liu Kang in the story mode on Vita. No matter what I do. :(
Is it me or is this... difficult?

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
You need to repeatedly jump OVER Shao Kahn and uppercut him from behind. It's the only way to win.

It's been a joy replaying this game (and many others) now that I have a mid-range gaming PC. Compared to the last gen console versions, it's like playing a remaster.

AbbaZabba

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't defeat Shao Kahn with Liu Kang in the story mode on Vita. No matter what I do. :(
Is it me or is this... difficult?

Yoooooo so I just found a great cheese strat if you're still struggling (I've been replaying this game after this thread got me to play it for the first time - thanks again for the thread everybody, it really is a great game).

Low fireball. I just spammed low fireball and basically nothing else, just a combo or dragon kick if he started coming close. Usually the far attack's will make him more likely to pose, which gives you a free hit, and the low fireball works best of everything I've tried so far.

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
MK 9 was terrific. WB Games should've also ported the Komplete Edition of the game over to Xbox One & PS4.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
MK9 was a fun game back when it came out but I don't know how well it'd hold up in my opinion nowadays since I've gotten better at fighting games.

I gave Injustice 2 a try last year and it was really dull.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man what a comeback this game was. MKXI needs the original type of challenge towers to return.i wasn't a fan of the living towers.

AbbaZabba

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MK9 was a fun game back when it came out but I don't know how well it'd hold up in my opinion nowadays since I've gotten better at fighting games.

I gave Injustice 2 a try last year and it was really dull.

I played MKX and Injustice 1 after loving MK9 (haven't made it to Injustice 2 yet), and neither one holds up (story wise at least) to MK9. And dare I say I'd rather watch MK9 on PS3 than the janky crap that is Injustice 1 on PS4 (at least the cutscenes, absolutely killed the presentation aspect).

And I'd include in the "story" aspect of these games the way they manage the difficulty curve - I plowed through Injustice and MKX, and replaying MK9 it's still providing the right amount of challenge at certain points in the game to force me to learn new skills, even though I'm way better at "fighting games" than I was when I first played it, which is a feeling I just didn't get from Injustice or MKX.

A part of me feels like NRS became too worried that people wouldn't be able to experience the whole story if it were too difficult (even with the "skip fight" option).

MK9 was still fantastic for me (for a fighting game noob, and from what I understand NRS games to be), and way better than Injustice 1 and MKX.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder how this game would look in 4K?

Maybe it'll get the Xbox One X treatment someday.