Melbourne, Australia
and Anderson´s only good film
excuse you?

tumblr_nc0hmrFAU11tuzl74o1_500.gif

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was probably the first movie in history to top the box office where the 2 major leads were Asian:

4b8dbhy5oug51.jpg
Definitely one of them, but Enter the Dragon (350mil) cleared over double Mortal Kombat's (120mil) box office. Like you pointed out though, MK features two Asian leads so it's probably the first there. Looking back it's amazing this film didn't get whitewashed.

Why has nobody posted the themetune yet?

I had the soundtrack on cassette just for this track haha. I think it was one of the first music files I ever downloaded too, it was just a short sample on repeat.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Event Horizon, he neither wrote nor produced that one either, may be his 2nd best film Bishop89 but it´s hardly a "good". Not a bad either but being ok isn´t worthy of much praise, 6/10. It or the similarly only ok Pitch Black may have been among the better of the sci-fi films of the 90s and early 00s but the genre was in a deep slump then. Neither of them would have a legacy if they came out more than 10 years earlier or only 5 years later.

Event Horizon has a Cimeascore of a D+. Holly shit. Critics hated it and the film bombed hard in 1997 but that is wow. A miracle that Anderson survived it and 1998´s Soldier. Thx Capcom. Enough bullshit, PREPARE YOURSELF Mortal Kombat is here to stay:
www.youtube.com

Archive: The Immortals - Johnny Cage (Prepare Yourself)

Released in 1994 on the Vernon Yard Recordings label (a division of Virgin Records America) -- Mortal Kombat: The Album is a concept record written and perfo...
10/10 album! Sonya´s theme God Tier.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ooooh, I wanna watch it again. But I only have it on VHS....

It's gotta be streaming somewhere in Canada.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Amazing movie!

THR recently did a QA with Robin Shou and Linden Ashby:

THR also did a great oral history of the production for the movies 20th anniversary:

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Mortal Kombat’: Untold Story of the Movie That “Kicked the Hell” Out of Everyone

The film — which broke the video game curse 20 years ago this week — survived broken ribs, bruised kidneys and ridicule from Hollywood: "Everyone was telling me this wouldn't work and my career would be over," recalls producer Larry Kasanoff.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
New movie coming January 2021.. but who knows now with COVID.
no chance in hell. we have seen nothing from the new movie, not even official pics of the actors in costume. at this time, they should have at least a teaser trailer ready.
movie will probably be pushed to late 2021 or early 2022.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
This was my jam at 10 years old. The 'More Kombat' album was the first cd I ever bought. Still love the movie

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy to think that the Reptile fight was added last minute because there wasn't enough fight scenes.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I remember being pissed it wasn't R with some badass fatalities, haha.

Saw it two times with high school friends, though. Bought the soundtrack.
As far as video game adaptations... yeah... it's pretty damn good. I think overall Silent Hill is better (stronger performances and Christophe Gans is, IMO, a superior director to Anderson)- but in '95 this was probably as good as MK could ever hope to get.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll never forget the theater exploding in cheers when reptile turns in to his ninja form.
It really is crazy to think the entire Reptile fight was add last-minute. But I remember the same reaction in my theater. The moment he turns into his ninja form and you hear the video game announcer voice say "Reptile" and the music kicks in... oh, it's great.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
I have a bad feeling that the new movie is going to lean too hard on mythology, but hope I'm wrong

Jul 25, 2020
Best video game to film adaptation ever. Silent Hill a close second.

"Those were five hundred dollar sun glasses asshole."

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Came here to post this exact gif. So many excellent shots in this movie.

I'd love to see a game where the original cast are their movie counterparts. Don't waste Cary's likeness on 1 game! I also want to see Christopher Lambert's Raiden in a game. My favorite version of the character next to MK1.

It is really well shot and directed, and even acted, it is still cheesy and silly but you can tell when you have a good creators that know what they are doing and care about what they are making and just compare it to the sequel. This just stands the test of time.