Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Mortal Kombat series has a rich lore behind it, with its many characters coming from each of the realms that make up the MK universe. Now, you'll no doubt be very familiar with three of these realms (Earthrealm, Outworld and Netherrealm) with the fourth (Edenia) being one you'll have heard about in many of the character's bios, but the other two (Orderrealm and Chaosrealm) are two realms that have been extremely underutilised in the Mortal Kombat series. For those unaware about MK's realms, these are the main six;

cDRN85Z5oY8qugJInzz1ZSt5p6q3cTG8yBLYkfkNGOk.jpg

Edenia, Orderrealm and Chaosrealm have only been featured heavily in one MK game, that game being Deception for the PS2, but otherwise the majority of the other MK games have only heavily featured Earthrealm, Outworld and Netherrealm which I think is a HUGE mistake as quite frankly I think those three realms are on the verge of becoming stale with how overexposed they are in the series. It's even more of a mistake when you look at what we've seen of Edenia, Orderrealm and Chaosrealm and realise how amazing these locations could be if used in a modern MK game. Let me break down these three realms and show you what they look like from the little we've seen of them.

Edenia

latest

As its name suggests, the world of Edenia closely resembles the Garden of Eden. A very lush and fertile world with slowly aging inhabitants, Edenia is also a feudal monarchy ruled by Queen Sindel and her daughter Princess Kitana. We've unfortunately seen very little of this realm due to it being destroyed by Shao Kahn prior to the events of the games, but it was briefly restored in the old timeline so we very well could see it again and we should.

latest

sindel-mk9end2.png

Orderrealm

latest

As the polar opposite of Chaosrealm, Seido is a place where law, order and structure prevail above anything else. It appears to be a clear, advanced, highly urbanized and civilized world. With strict curfews and penal system, it is a safe haven for some and war on freedom for others. We have yet to see this realm outside of Deception (other than two still images from the MK9) so there isn't much else to know about it unfortunately which is a shame as it holds one of the most unique society's in the MK universe.

latest

johnnycage4.png

Chaosrealm

latest

The Chaosrealm is a world where chaos is practiced by its inhabitants as a religion, so, unlike other realms, it has no form of government whatsoever. Therefore, the Chaosrealmers reflect their world's chaotic nature, and hold absolute freedom and change in the highest esteem, relishing in chaos and living in an absolute anarchy. It is the polar opposite of Orderrealm. Out of the three realms I'm talking about, we have probably seen the least of Chaosrealm as it has never been seen since it's debut in Deception outside of a background image in MK9's challenge tower. As a realm that thrives on chaos, it is mind-boggling how the Chaosrealm and it's inhabitants have not been featured in more games yet, and with Havik, its sole representative in the games, in high demand these days, there's really no reason to not bring back Chaosrealm.

So there you go, those are the three realms that have been fairly neglected since Mortal Kombat Deception. I think it's a crying shame that the MK series doesn't use Edenia, Orderrealm and Chaosrealm more as there is a treasure trove of unique and interesting stages and characters to pull from here. Sorry for the heavy image dump but I couldn't really talk about these realms without showing you them. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks about these realms? Should NRS use them more or would you rather stick with Earthrealm, Outworld and Netherrealm as the main focus?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
They tried. They made MK Deception, and just about everything and everyone that came from those worlds was a fucking bore.

Hey y'all, remember Dairou? How about everyone's favorite, Darrius?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They tried. They made MK Deception, and just about everything and everyone that came from those worlds was a fucking bore.

Hey y'all, remember Dairou? How about everyone's favorite, Darrius?

Yeah, outside of Hotaru the Orderrealm's characters were incredibly weak, but so was a lot of MK's designs back then. Modern-day NRS would no doubt kill it if they used the Orderrealm to make a new character which is the point I'm trying to make. There's a lot more creativity now then there was back then so there's really no excuse to keep with the same three realms because 'they made some shit characters ten+ years ago'.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Yeah, outside of Hotaru the Orderrealm's characters were incredibly weak, but so was a lot of MK's designs back then. Modern-day NRS would no doubt kill it if they used the Orderrealm to make a new character which is the point I'm trying to make. There's a lot more creativity now then there was back then so there's really no excuse to keep with the same three realms because 'they made some shit characters ten+ years ago'.
Agreed. Modern NRS is a lot more on point with making characters and even in MK11, I fully expect Jacqui and Frost to be revamped in terms of design (I think their personality is fine as is, just needs to be expanded upon).

OrderRealm in particular is something I'd love to see more of, as not only is the world design so visually distinct but it could give birth to some truly incredible characters. Hell, who knows, maybe there's a new character to be announced for MK11 who's from these realms!

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Modern NRS is a lot more on point with making characters and even in MK11, I fully expect Jacqui and Frost to be revamped in terms of design (I think their personality is fine as is, just needs to be expanded upon).

OrderRealm in particular is something I'd love to see more of, as not only is the world design so visually distinct but it could give birth to some truly incredible characters. Hell, who knows, maybe there's a new character to be announced for MK11 who's from these realms!

Yep, Orderrealm in particular is my favourite realm and it hurts that two of the three characters we got from it were absolutely awful. The idea of NRS tackling that realm and making some new characters is incredibly exciting to me, I just wish they'd do it.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's been a long day without you, my friend
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
We've come a long way from where we began
Oh I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
When I see you again

mortal-kombat-art-havik-5.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed.

There are so many cool things they need to expand on now that they nailed the feel of the series. Though I gotta say, I didn't expect the lore to be this cool when I first played the first MK. They have done a really wonderful job of making this lore.

Quan

Oct 28, 2017
I would definitely like to see Edenia, Orderrealm and Chaosrealm expanded upon. Only problem is that it doesn't look like MK11's story will have anything to do with those realms, unfortunately. It would have been interesting if Kronika was a powerful figure from Orderrealm who is pissed about all the chaos that Raiden has been causing. Her aesthetic just looks like something you would see come out of Orderrealm. But it sounds like she has nothing to do with Orderrealm, right?

I wouldn't mind seeing another game like Shaolin Monks expand on the lore of the MK franchise. Obviously, the story telling in that game was pretty damn terrible, but it was nice to see Outworld's locales expanded upon, at least. But I think NRS has their hands full putting out a new fighting game every 2 years so it would probably have to be done by another company.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno..

I think Boon just needs to make much better choices about which staple characters and storylines he includes. They've strayed far off the bread and butter MK themes and canon recently and the results aren't nearly as interesting. The story, art direction and atmosphere of MKII is still the pinnacle in my opinion..we'll see how much MK11 goes back to that.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
I thought Orderrealm and Chaosrealm were overkill even back in Deception. The original 4 were fine enough, Edenia should be explored, but the concept of it never being the same again is a big part of the series lore.