• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
I mean the moment that suddenly gave ya a sense of perspective for that moment

I was walking home, had the blues (stuff by my own choice that I can avoid but I'm fine)

Really feeling sorry for myself

I heard somebody call my name

It was a homeless man, that turned out to be a secondary school (high school) friend of mine at time... we where never close or friends friends but... I gotta say, it hit me

I gave him all the change in my pocket regardless

But I thought I had boohoo moments till I seen somebody I know

We all see homeless people and if we knows them we usually know them for being homeless, but if somebody you know that had parents you seen, in the same class as you, got high grades is I now homeless it puts things into perspective real quick

It really rattled me I wish I had more money to give him, I didn't ask but can't help what wonder

Like if I didn't have great parents I could be in the same place

In anyway

What about you guys?
even if it's small

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
When my trunks ripped in Blockbuster and I had to rent Dragonball GT Final Bout with a straight ass face, despite my ass hanging out

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
When my trunks ripped in Blockbuster and I had to rent Dragonball GT Final Bout with a straight ass face, despite my ass hanging out

Atleast you didn't knock over the gumball machine trying to get out the free rental gumball and shatter the thing....

The amount of shit I got that day...whew

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
When I was in Cambodia, I stayed at a waterfront housing/shack thing along a river. At about 6-7 in the morning there were small boats going by with 2-stroke engines. One of them had an older lady who yelled out "Do you want breakfast?" and I beckoned her over. She pulled up next to the small dock about 40m down the river and I wandered over. She said she does seafood, pork or chicken soup with noodles. On the back of her boat was a small hotpot of soup, noodles and ingredients. I asked for the seafood and noodles and she gave me this big bowl of prawns, scallops, mussels and whitefish mixed with vegetables on top of a bulk of white soft noodles. I asked her how much it was and it ended up being about 6500 riel, which was basically nothing.The food was so fresh, beautiful and there was so much of it that I did not have to eat for the rest of the day, so I handed her 120000 riel (About $35 AUD or 27 odd USD) and told her to keep it. Her eyes lit up and she said "I don't have to work for the rest of the day thank you" and she turned her boat back the other way.

This was not much money and I made this person happy, I'm annoyed when my account is less than $2000 bucks. Haven't complained about not having much since.

Edit - I have two other stories, but decided not to tell them because they're too damn depressing.

Nov 29, 2018
Flim flammed out of 10 bucks by a dude selling cds in NYC with my girlfriend. It was such a classic scenario too. Made worse because neither of us noticed it until she said "it was nice of him to give you that change" and it all clicked, ugh.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Traveling to other countries and seeing the locals appreciate the littlest things even though they don't have much. It makes you realize how easy we got it here in America.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At one point in my life my dad smacked my sister instead of me. I had heard the familiar heated argument outside my room, and I began to pack myself for a few days away. Then I heard the slap of the cheeks and raced outside to contain my father. The cops were called and I wanted his ass away long enough to change the course of the rest of my family's life. During a psych visit, I was told that my mother and sister would deny the allegations and I felt deflated. I had already felt the streets before this, and this felt like the only recourse out of a recursive situation. I was a teen.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
Admitting I needed counseling for anxiety and depression, seeing a counselor and actually learning coping strategies for some of the intense feelings I have from my traumas.

Nothing felt better or worse than that realization that I am not okay and won't be okay without serious work and continued effort.

simmins

Nov 7, 2017
In my younger days I traveled with my church to Tijuana, we went there to paint houses and give sermons. I must have been 14 or 15 and it was my first time out of the country. We went to the poorest part of TJ and I could hardly believe the poverty I witnessed. I was still too ignorant to understand what I was doing there, but I painted the small shacks, while the preacher prayed with the residents. Looking back I wish I would have been able to do more for those people. I grew up extremely poor as well, and didn't have more than one pair of clothes, etc. But I had some advantages granted by the government (Medicare, Navy Parents, Student Loans, etc.) that gave me the ability to move forward to a place of relative success. These people did not have that. Looking back I just see the injustice, and the unfairness of being poor.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I'd love to read those

Fuck well, just for you then.

When I was about 19 my friend and I were in his car going to his friends house and arguing about the stupidest shit. We stopped at a T junction for a set of lights waiting for a left turn when couple on a motorbike sped past our car and started turning left ahead of us. A very large truck came through the lights and hit the couple at a fairly high speed ( The truck was in the right as the lights were green ). The bike was launched and flipped into a paddock as the truck slowed down. The couple who was hit were basically pulverized into parts and dragged for a distance. A few other people and my friend pulled over to the side of the road and waited while emergency services showed up, we were there for about an hour and a half answering questions while paramedics, a small fire crew and police had shown up to assess the situation. The police had asked me to come fairly close to the chunks of body and stretched/spattered blood stains on the road to make an assessment. There were people taking photos next to markers and picking up pieces in bags. The fire department was literally asked to wash the blood into the ditch. It was just horrible. My friend and I were very quiet for the rest of the trip and decided to go home instead.

The other story is shorter and more recent. I went to a hospital to see one of my father's friends who was diagnosed with cancer, he was in a room with about 2 other people, curtains closed. I wanted to leave my dad to talk with him because I really did not know the guy and did not want to intrude on their connection. So I went down the hall to a waiting/activity room for patients and sat down there and browsed my phone. There was a very very young girl there with her father sitting and talking to him quietly. She was very very skinny, gaunt in the face and looked lost. One of the nurses came in with some weird contraption that she needed to inflate, I'm honestly not sure what it was for, but she was unfolding it and it was a square mat block thing. The little girl turned to her father and said "Is that what they're going to bury me in dad?". My heart just fucking tore in two hearing that.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck well, just for you then.

When I was about 19 my friend and I were in his car going to his friends house and arguing about the stupidest shit. We stopped at a T junction for a set of lights waiting for a left turn when couple on a motorbike sped past our car and started turning left ahead of us. A very large truck came through the lights and hit the couple at a fairly high speed ( The truck was in the right as the lights were green ). The bike was launched and flipped into a paddock as the truck slowed down. The couple who was hit were basically pulverized into parts and dragged for a distance. A few other people and my friend pulled over to the side of the road and waited while emergency services showed up, we were there for about an hour and a half answering questions while paramedics, a small fire crew and police had shown up to assess the situation. The police had asked me to come fairly close to the chunks of body and stretched/spattered blood stains on the road to make an assessment. There were people taking photos next to markers and picking up pieces in bags. The fire department was literally asked to wash the blood into the ditch. It was just horrible. My friend and I were very quiet for the rest of the trip and decided to go home instead.

The other story is shorter and more recent. I went to a hospital to see one of my father's friends who was diagnosed with cancer, he was in a room with about 2 other people, curtains closed. I wanted to leave my dad to talk with him because I really did not know the guy and did not want to intrude on their connection. So I went down the hall to a waiting/activity room for patients and sat down there and browsed my phone. There was a very very young girl there with her father sitting and talking to him quietly. She was very very skinny, gaunt in the face and looked lost. One of the nurses came in with some weird contraption that she needed to inflate, I'm honestly not sure what it was for, but she was unfolding it and it was a square mat block thing. The little girl turned to her father and said "Is that what they're going to bury me in dad?". My heart just fucking tore in two hearing that.
Those are some depressing stories, but thanks for sharing. Hope you're well now, I don't know how I'd become if I went through these.

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
Giving myself permission to be the person I'm meant to be, which meant coming out as transgender. Reducing myself to nothing and building myself back up again in full view of everyone I've ever cared about. Giving up male privilege (ha!) and knowing that a good portion of the population doesn't think I deserve rights! It was either that or suicide, though. It wasn't too hard a choice, I guess

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
The moment in 2016 when I walked back inside after almost jumping off my 3rd-floor balcony. It legitimately changed my life once I realized how broken I really was and how much help I really needed.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Losing my mind 10 years ago. I had just enough sanity to admit myself to the psych ward but I was gone. Couldn't sleep for days, had bizarre ideations about reality, thought my existence was wrong, etc

Was an odd kind of event to teach me not to take myself too seriously and pay more attention to others experiences

Loomies

Oct 27, 2017
Walking through the gate at work and always friendly to the guards. One of the guards lady said" I wish there was a hundreds of me at this place. Would make life alot better "

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Went on a trip to Guatemala. I was first initially stunned at just how sort of poor and run down it was, even though I read a lot about how outside intervention really doomed the country. Even with how poor the country seems and how countries really screwed them over, the people we're just so kind, attentive and warm.

Really opened my eyes to the idea that not one person defines what the right standard of living should be, nor does it determine their happiness. Also shows that the warmth of the human spirit can truly warm the darkest parts of the past.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, almost any time I hear a story from someone worse off than I am. I try to remember that I have been incredibly fortunate in life, no matter what.

There are so many small things that can go wrong in life and send you on a different path. And I don't just mean in terms of money - in terms of radicalization, belief system, how you interact with people more privileged or less privileged than you are. I don't believe people have that many choices in terms of how they turn out. The wrong parents, the wrong neighborhood, and you could be the type of person we call garbage on these forums.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
I thought my ex of 8 years would love me forever no matter what and I kept being a pos. One day she called me and said she didn't feel the same towards me and broke with me right away.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I've had more than a few moments of beong intellectually humbled after a childhood of being told how exceptional I am / all the things I could be, which had lead to a lifetime of impostorism.

The truest moment of humility was when I was about 18 and I developed pneumonia and ended up hospitalised for about 6 days. I ended up the thoracic ward and was around about 6 or 7 far older guys in various states of poor health. Most had been there quite a while.

Everyday I had multiple members of my family fighting to get in during visiting hours and having to be forced to leave. The love and support was overwhelming. Some of these guys who were in bad shape didn't get so much as a single visit my whole time there. I ended up friendly with one or two with them and they seemed so grateful for the company.

It was a moment of such clarity and gratitude for my family and the love and support I'd taken for granted.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Being diagnosed with cancer soon after my son was born.

Things are looking great 3 years later (after major surgery and radiation) but it sure as shit changed my mindset in a bunch of positive ways.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Honestly, almost any time I hear a story from someone worse off than I am. I try to remember that I have been incredibly fortunate in life, no matter what.

There are so many small things that can go wrong in life and send you on a different path. And I don't just mean in terms of money - in terms of radicalization, belief system, how you interact with people more privileged or less privileged than you are. I don't believe people have that many choices in terms of how they turn out. The wrong parents, the wrong neighborhood, and you could be the type of person we call garbage on these forums.
Same

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Realizing my marriage was inevitably over and there was absolutely nothing I could do to save it.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
In a similar situation to OP, when I was in university I met an elementary school classmate on the bus, it seems she got into drugs and was doing an art therapy course to recover.

IamError

Aug 22, 2020
When I first got to college. I was a country bumpkin who thought he was the smartest guy in the world. Got put in my place really fast when I saw truly gifted people. Different kind of humbled than your story I guess.

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
divorce and the subsequent loss of everything after. it brought me back to the start.

-no friends due to neglecting them for my wife.
-no money. i was working from home part time and lost that job.
-no knowledge on bill paying or record keeping as she did all of that from our joint account.
-living at my moms and sleeping on the carpet.
-no time with my kids cause i had no way to get with them.
-my health deteriorated.
-sold all my gaming consoles and collection cause i was broke. this hurt a lot.
-ex started dating a coworker that i stopped hanging with because of her.

that was 8 years ago. life is so good now. but looking back i was humbled to the core. im still humbled to this day and take nothing for granted.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Being told by the doctor when I was 11 that if I couldn't get over my anorexia that I was going to have serious health problems and could potentially die.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing one of my friends from church basically homeless and everyone turned their back on him. I was in shock when I saw him and I barely recognized him. This all happened when his mother died and something within him just broke. This felt like something that could happen to anyone.