Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
The series has pretty much been firing on all cylinders since then, so not that surprising

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
that's how you successfully revitalize a franchise without making compromises.

if someone told me prior to RE7's reval Resident Evil would scare me again (especially after 6), i would have laughed at you.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I know I became a fan with RE7. The recent games are genuinely some of my favorite ever.

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
RE7 was amazing and I didn't even consider myself an RE fan when I first played it. That's how pivotal it was.

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want Leon for 9. He's been pulling major weight with 2 and 4 remakes.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
Glad to see one of the franchises I grew up with thriving.

Edit: I've actually only played a couple of the newer releases, but it's still one of the few series that gets me excited when something new is announced.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I mean its probably accurate but still
i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. I straight up didn't like any RE until 4 and then it was a drought until 7 piqued my interest. Now I prefer the first person games.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Glad to.see Resident Evil thriving in 2024. Love this franchise since the first one.

But yeah RE7 was and still is the shit next to RE4. My two favorite RE instalments.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Love to see it. RE7 is an all-time great. The great comeback for Resident Evil.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's plenty clear Ethan Winters is what the franchise needed.
I know people like to shit on him but a huge reason I enjoyed RE7 and Village is because Ethan is just some guy in a stupid and crazy situation. He's not some super soldier Chris Redfield or Leon S Kennedy or Jill Valentine secret agent stuff. That's why I'm a little worried about RE9 maybe going back to those old characters and just pumping up the action again like RE5 or RE6, instead of keeping things more low key like RE7 and 8.

But RE7 was pretty amazing- its actually a great entry point into RE since you're starting off with a new protagonist who knows none of the convoluted RE lore and the game itself doesn't really get bogged down in that stuff until the very end, which I appreciated, since I always find the RE lore interesting when it stays at the periphery of things. Once you start thinking about any of it too much it gets way too stupid for its own good.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It doesn't count only the games released after 2017 right? If i got RE5/RE6 in 2020, it's part of this 53%, i guess?

Capcom needs to release a spin off that plays similar to RE2R along with RE9, since it sold so well :p

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I know people like to shit on him but a huge reason I enjoyed RE7 and Village is because Ethan is just some guy in a stupid and crazy situation. He's not some super soldier Chris Redfield or Leon S Kennedy or Jill Valentine secret agent stuff. That's why I'm a little worried about RE9 maybe going back to those old characters and just pumping up the action again like RE5 or RE6, instead of keeping things more low key like RE7 and 8.

that's exactly it.

Capcom has yet to prove they can handle a modern, non-remake entry with the OG cast without going completely off the rails.

they're untouchable superheroes.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad they are throwing horror RE in the bin. I guess we'll see a Resident Evil Capcom Cycle begin.

Oct 30, 2017
It brought back the franchise to it's solid ground again.. a true survivor horror series.

Still can't believe we got RE2R and RE3R and RE4R and if course RE8 and they were all fantastic and amazing.

Makes me beyond excited for the next Remake and RE9.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that isn't true anymore. Even if you add up the original release of RE5 and it's re-release (12 million), RE7 (13 million) and RE2 Remake (13.6 million) have both outsold it.
It's still true.

RE5 is at 14.4 Million without even counting the sales on Switch.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
It brought back the franchise to it's solid ground again.. a true survivor horror series.

Still can't believe we got RE2R and RE3R and RE4R and if course RE8 and they were all fantastic and amazing.

Makes me beyond excited for the next Remake and RE9.

Based on amount of output/releases in a comparable time frame its hard to think of another AAA dev that's been as consistent as Capcom's RE teams since RE7. They're really in a league of their own.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
RE7 saved resident evil

But RE7 was pretty amazing- its actually a great entry point into RE since you're starting off with a new protagonist who knows none of the convoluted RE lore and the game itself doesn't really get bogged down in that stuff until the very end, which I appreciated, since I always find the RE lore interesting when it stays at the periphery of things. Once you start thinking about any of it too much it gets way too stupid for its own good.
This is very true. Speaking for me personally, I'm kind of tired of RE revolving around the same rotating cast of characters who keep falling off cliffs and then reappearing a couple entries later. I know it's dumb action movie stuff to keep bringing them back, it's not really the logic that bothers me more just that I don't think we can wring anything more outta the redfields or kennedy/wesker.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to believe but accurate. Their 2017 annual report pegs the RE franchise at 77m units sold. The current product data page on their website has RE at 154m, across 170 titles. You can track the total sales in each of their annual reports. Looks like 2023 was a bumper year for the franchise, adding 17m in sales in that year alone.

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like playing resident evil until the release of 7 so that makes sense to me. 7 and 8 were great, and with how many times I've replayed it, 2 Remake is probably one of my favorite games period. Still need to get around to 3 Remake and finish 4 Remake but I'm sure I'll love them the same.

Jurec84

Oct 27, 2017
like many others here I came into Resident Evil with VII and played almost all other main titles (except 5 and 6).

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a detailed breakdown of the units sold per game since 2017? That number is insane

Here's the whole series:
vgsales.fandom.com

Resident Evil

Resident Evil, known as Biohazard in Japan, is a series of survival horror video games developed by Capcom. Since the introduction of the series in 1996, the series has sold 150 million units as of 2023, making it Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales. The series has spawned...

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
RE7 is one of the best, if not just the best, Resident Evil game. It alone deserves like half of those 83 mil. copies sold.
And then they followed it up with REmake 2, which is another contender for the title of the best Resident Evil game.

Capcom's pretty much on a winning streak.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
that's exactly it.

Capcom has yet to prove they can handle a modern, non-remake entry with the OG cast without going completely off the rails.

they're untouchable superheroes.

I know "modern" and all, but Revelations 2 is less than ten years old and does this excellently. It's super underrated and is better than most of the RE Engine games easily.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that gaming blew up (again) around 2006 and that games like RE7 and Outlast were popular on "Lets Plays" either. 🤔

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Bought most of the new ones on sale, but double dipped since I wanted to play them on Steam Deck. I have a lot of em still unplayed though. Gotta get to it.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Here's the whole series:
vgsales.fandom.com

Resident Evil

Resident Evil, known as Biohazard in Japan, is a series of survival horror video games developed by Capcom. Since the introduction of the series in 1996, the series has sold 150 million units as of 2023, making it Capcom's best-selling franchise in terms of software sales. The series has spawned...

Thanks. Guess I wasn't keeping up with those sales numbers, stuff like RE2R is double what I thought

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Things have been going really well for Capcom since RE 7.

They had RE 7 (2017), Monster Hunter World (2018), RE 2 Remake and DMC 5 (2019).

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
RE4 Remake(+Mercenaries+Seperate Ways) is the best RE game and it will be the best selling RE game in a year or two.

Insanely hyped for RE9.