• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing more ridiculous than The Oracle Season/Age on the GBC.

You need to buy both games in order to carry over your progress, unlock new content and get the true ending.

That's pretty tame compared to most in this topic. Both games are pretty good and are completely unique from one another so it's worth playing both anyway. Now if something like Pokemon or Mega Man Battle Network tried to make you buy both games for the true ending, that'd be a different matter.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I played few old games that I don't remember well but I'm sure I finished some that mentioned to get the true ending you need to beat the game again on hard mode.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metro 2033 is even worse.

You have to make specific actions, use the games wonky stealth system, only kill when ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY (good luck figuring that out), hear specific dialogue only avaiable while using the games trash stealth system, interact with SPECIFIC items...

No wonder only 2% of players got it.
Which version of Metro 2033 are you talking about? Redux has Metro: Last Light's stealth mechanics which are great. I've never managed to get the bad ending in that game because skulking around in the dark knocking people out is basically the best way to play the game.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which version of Metro 2033 are you talking about? Redux has Metro: Last Light's stealth mechanics which are great. I've never managed to get the bad ending in that game because skulking around in the dark knocking people out is basically the best way to play the game.

I'm talking about the original 2033, not redux. Redux did fix alot of the originals problems though.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Asura's Wrath had some stellar fight scenes but it's ending was locked behind some of the biggest bullshit in gaming. How is this plot heavy title working for you? Give us $5 and we'll tell you how it ends!

220px-Asura%27s_Wrath_Cover_Art.png

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
In the earlier Clock Tower games (1, 2, Ghost Head) there were very stringent requirements about what characters you have to let be killed, which ones you have to save (and sometimes even HOW) and in what order you had to visit some areas in order to trigger particular cutscenes that would allow you access the best endings. They're short so they're very replayable but it's really difficult to get the S, A or B endings without a guide or pure luck since there are unwinnable scenarios if you forget to pick certain particular items before doing some stuff.

Edit: also forgot to mention that the first one (not sure about the rest) is RNG-based, so in each playthrough the location of half a dozen important rooms and I think also some key items are shuffled around, including some doors that cannot be opened among them so playing safe can lock you out of the particular ending you want to trigger.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just had another thought. I know people love 999, but I mean... 999
Meh the game is kind of set up in a way to encourage you trying all possible doors. Every combination leads to different results. I guess it could have signalled just how different everything is right off the bat since I actually had one of the bad endings (which was amazing) and then promptly went to YouTube to watch a let's play for the other endings. I quickly realized that was a veeeeeeery bad idea.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i think some japanese developers just dont care about what you feel in the sense that they dont care if you beat the game or not and they dont care if you dont want to replay the game 3 times to get the real ending

nigoro plainly states that they dont even expect you to finish la-mulana and boy do i sure feel it

it's good and bad at the same time. i will literally never replay something i have already done just for a different ending unless it's loading the same save file and doing more stuff like chrono trigger or the godawful dialogue tree of p4

Nov 21, 2017
Meh the game is kind of set up in a way to encourage you trying all possible doors. Every combination leads to different results. I guess it could have signalled just how different everything is right off the bat since I actually had one of the bad endings (which was amazing) and then promptly went to YouTube to watch a let's play for the other endings. I quickly realized that was a veeeeeeery bad idea.

It's not a question of getting a different ending by trying different doors. It's a question of getting the "true ending". In fact if you do everything right to get the true ending but haven't gotten the safe ending yet, you will get the coffin ending.

So first you have to get the "safe ending". Then you have to do everything right to get the "true ending," which btw isn't just about choosing the right doors. You have to make the right dialog choices like responding to June by saying "It's rather odd" in the kitchen. You also have to get the bookmark from Santa and give it to Clover. Etc.

Maybe I'm just biased, cause I hate games that ask me to replay the same sections (I know the game has QOL ways of skipping redundant stuff, but it's still not my cup of tea).

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
The main story did end with the vanilla game though.
That DLC felt more like a rushed sequel or a series epilogue.

The conflict wasn't resolved though. Even though he his mission was to save his daughter, no one would have been safe until the last boss was defeated. It's exactly like hiding the 'final final' boss until the last hour of gameplay but in this case, poor storytelling was wrapped behind DLC.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a question of getting a different ending by trying different doors. It's a question of getting the "true ending". In fact if you do everything right to get the true ending but haven't gotten the safe ending yet, you will get the coffin ending.

So first you have to get the "safe ending". Then you have to do everything right to get the "true ending," which btw isn't just about choosing the right doors. You have to make the right dialog choices like responding to June by saying "It's rather odd" in the kitchen. You also have to get the bookmark from Santa and give it to Clover. Etc.

Maybe I'm just biased, cause I hate games that ask me to replay the same sections (I know the game has QOL ways of skipping redundant stuff, but it's still not my cup of tea).

They spell out pretty clearly what you need to do.

Oct 25, 2017

Yes but once you've gotten the Safe ending you have so many clues to direct you in those choices. Like, if someone starts talking about Ice-9 at that point, you already know it's highly relevant and you should probably not ignore the subject. I'm not saying the game worked perfectly but it's hardly the most obscure thing of all time. It's very obvious when you've gone down the wrong path because literally nothing lines up. Conversely, once you're on the right track - you kind of already know where you're headed because you are constantly experiencing new content and further progression where you would otherwise expect to get stuck. It just takes a while.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It was probably already mentioned but; Resident Evil: Revelations 2.

The requirement isn't hard, it's just asinine.

Midway through the game there's a QTE. If you complete this QTE as the main character instead of doing it as the sidekick which you can switch to then once you get to the end of the game you get a terrible ending. Nothing about the event communicates to the player that they should do the QTE as a specific character. At the end of the day it was a budget title that they did this to pad in "replay value."