• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Here's a fun bit of information I found out at work today. There's a guy in my office that got his bike license through the same school I am going now. His advice for the balance beam was to give it more gas but control the speed through the clutch and especially rear brake which will hunker the rear wheel down to make it easier to control.

Also he said everyone crashes or falls off the bike at least once don't worry if it happens and showed me scar on his leg from when he fell off. 😱

BombStrike

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Looking at the pictures I think you might be going to the same driving school I went to 😊

My recommendation for the balance beam is to give it a bit of gas to get on it, then keep your eyes far forward (my school had a power pole aligned with the beam that was good for that) and grab the tank with your knees/thighs, then yeah control the speed with clutch/rear brake.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Had a successful job interview yesterday so I might finally be back on a motorbike at some point this year after a 3 year long break. I can't fucking wait. Already had a gander on eBay at how much late 2000s RSV Milles are going for. I'd love another V4 but would happily settle for the twin.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Day 4 and 5, hours 5 6 and 7 finished!

Friday night was just one hour lesson (hour 5). Speaking of crashes! 😂 Not me thankfully lol. But Blue #7 that I had been using since battery on #6 is dead is now out of commission it looks like. I guess someone else who had a lesson on Friday during the morning must have had an accident on it and it is in need of repair now. Guess that goes to show why they do reserve the blues for the newbies. As such I was graduated to one of the newer red/white CB400's! Merely by the fact that both of the blues are out of commission lol.

Riding the newer red/whites though yeah I think they are feeling nicer in smoothness and other areas. Though to be fair as I ride more personally I am getting smoother with everything too so can't really say it's just the bike.

New instructor for Fridays lesson. Probably early 60's guy. He's probably the most strict one I've had yet. Actually this day there were two students assigned to the one instructor, same younger guy as I was with in the simulator the day before. But he is further along though so instructor just gives him a bike and asks if he remembers the test course then just tells him to go through and practice on his own.

For me it was all balance beam practice this lesson. As before I struggle especially in the beginning. I try modulating the clutch and rear brake better but especially in the beginning I keep falling off at some point. But I keep going and finally I am able to get it! I go down it successfully about 5 times towards the end. No where near perfect and definitely need some more practice on that. That was end for Friday.

Nothing on Saturday had my first off day since starting last Tuesday. Today Sunday morning though I was back for lessons 6 and 7! Unlike the previous two hour day I had last week both hours were spend out on the track riding though with a bit of a twist! Todays instructor was the younger guy I had back in lesson #3 I think it was.

First hour back on a red/white (#10 I noted). As on Friday that young guy was also back and assigned to the same instructor. This time though we both ride along to follow him. Today introduced three new things I haven't done yet, slalom, s-curve and crank. Slalom for medium bikes you have to complete it in under 8 seconds. S-curve and crank no time limits just don't hit cones or put feel down at any point.

S-Curve and crank, no real problems at all with these for me. Didn't hit any cones at any point.

Slalom course is rather tight! But here as well no real problems I never tapped any cones. At first though being first time I was a bit above 8 seconds but the more I did it the more I was able to get that down to around 7 seconds. I will need to get this down better as the large bike license looks like you need to get that under 7 seconds. Last 20 minutes I am left to be on my own and just keep practicing the slalom. I did go back and do the S-curve and crank once more but I don't see any problems here so I didn't spend much time on them.

Also I should note this was my first time riding during daylight hours all my previous lessons have been at night. I realized my helmet does get a bit hot even keeping the visor up the whole time (all vents are in open position too I believe). Also during daylight the lights on the front that indicate which gear you are in just can not be seen at all really. But I think I got better at telling which gear I am in without needing to see that in any case.

Hour 2! Well this was a bit of a twist. I guess even if you are going for the manual bike license (speaking of which did I ever mention that manual and automatic bikes have separate licenses? Manual one will let you ride either but AT you can only drive AT) there is at least one hour that is required during training to drive around on an AT scooter. We pull out these Honda scooters of some sort from the bike shed and fire them up. Clutch is now a rear brake lever like on a bicycle. Man this thing is comfortable lol. We cruise around the course on these scooters and go through all the different tests. I am just not able to to the balance beam on this thing though (I lost whatever I had that got me through it on Friday i guess lol) but other parts are no problem even getting the slalom under 8 seconds. We won't be tested on these so it didn't matter in any case

Looking at the pictures I think you might be going to the same driving school I went to 😊

My recommendation for the balance beam is to give it a bit of gas to get on it, then keep your eyes far forward (my school had a power pole aligned with the beam that was good for that) and grab the tank with your knees/thighs, then yeah control the speed with clutch/rear brake.

There is a fellow Japan rider on here! If you happened to go to a school way up in Tochigi its possible! Most of these places all look same really though. I'll get another crack at that balance beam on Tuesday night when I go back I hope. Do you have a bike now? Which insurance you go with if you do? I have Sony Sonpo on my car but doesn't look like they do bikes so will need to use a different company.

BombStrike

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
There is a fellow Japan rider on here! If you happened to go to a school way up in Tochigi its possible! Most of these places all look same really though. I'll get another crack at that balance beam on Tuesday night when I go back I hope. Do you have a bike now? Which insurance you go with if you do? I have Sony Sonpo on my car but doesn't look like they do bikes so will need to use a different company.

I have a W800 that I bought a few years back. For insurance I use Zurich, they are not the cheapest but they are fully online and relatively easy to use, and I used to also have my car insurance on it (until I sold it).

BombStrike

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I really like it, it's pretty, fun to drive even at low speeds, makes a nice noise and the maintenance is quite simple since it has barely any electronics in it.

It does run into issues when driving in the hot Japanese summer though and I had to take a couple breaks before to cool the engine.
It's also a bit too expensive imo, it costs as much as a Z900 but has half the features. I think 1M JPY instead of 1.2M would make more sense for it.

AHs8Uli.jpeg
5HT7EDD.jpeg

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I really like it, it's pretty, fun to drive even at low speeds, makes a nice noise and the maintenance is quite simple since it has barely any electronics in it.

It does run into issues when driving in the hot Japanese summer though and I had to take a couple breaks before to cool the engine.
It's also a bit too expensive imo, it costs as much as a Z900 but has half the features. I think 1M JPY instead of 1.2M would make more sense for it.

AHs8Uli.jpeg
5HT7EDD.jpeg

I love it! Yeah price of the new ones are a bit on the high side considering the features. I have the baby brother W400 I posted earlier waiting for me once I finish the current license. Being air cooled in the hot humid Japan summers is an issue I wondered about. Just short 10 minute rides to work and back maybe ok I hope.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
So, I've got my Speed Triple back. It now has the Bridgestone S23 tires on it. The tires have already been run in. My friend with the Honda VTR 1000SP1 has bought a second bike (Aprilia Shiver 900) and we used the handover to break in my tires a little.
Until the bike is registered, it can stay in my garage. I'm not a fan of the headlight, but the rest looks really high quality.

As part of my maintenance, I tested the Triumph Speed 400 for 5 hours (200km). Fun machine. The workmanship is great. Everything looks very tidy. The clutch is very smooth and the gearshift is as smooth as butter. The brakes grip well. The Speed 400 feels very light and takes every bend with ease. But now comes the big but for me:
The engine is unexpectedly very rev-happy. However, this means that the first 3 gears are very short and have little torque. However, this may simply have been due to the fact that I simply found the clutch point to be crap and didn't adjust it to suit me. The machine could be brought up to 160 km/h on the highway. From 120 km/h, however, the vibrations in the handlebars became very strong, but this is probably more of a German problem.

Also saw the Daytona 660. Really really liked the ergonomics while sitting on it.

Last edited:

BombStrike

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I love it! Yeah price of the new ones are a bit on the high side considering the features. I have the baby brother W400 I posted earlier waiting for me once I finish the current license. Being air cooled in the hot humid Japan summers is an issue I wondered about. Just short 10 minute rides to work and back maybe ok I hope.

Yeah no issue with short runs or even longer run, I use it to go to the office regularly. It's more for like day long touring with traffic jams/slow moving traffic that it can get problematic and might require taking a couple breaks.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
They are pretty good so far. At least on par with the S22. Wet surface performance seems to be better when the reviews I've read were correct. Will test this in the next weeks.

I was shocked at the performance of the S22 in the wet. I pushed it a bit and never found its limits (...by design). Silica in the compound makes a real difference.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Yeah no issue with short runs or even longer run, I use it to go to the office regularly. It's more for like day long touring with traffic jams/slow moving traffic that it can get problematic and might require taking a couple breaks.

With how humid and hot it gets here in the summer I imagine I may not want to ride very long in traffic as it is.... Also one good thing about not being in the city is traffic isn't so much of an issue here. Looking forward to exploring all the mountain roads here in Tochigi and surrounding areas.

For lesson report, Day 6, hours 8 and 9 finished!

Last night was two hours back to back riding with no breaks like the previous simulator or AT scooter joy rides. I guess I am finished with the individual lessons for the separate parts of the test I will need to pass. Last night was one hour just doing test course #1 then one hour doing test course #2. On the actual test day you will not know which one you will be doing (#1 or #2) so you will have to remember both of them and be able to do them perfectly without error.

First hour was #1 and blue #6 with the dead battery was back in action so I was on a blue again for the first time. Before lesson I overheard other students talking about the blue bikes being heavier than the others which yeah now I can see. Definitely getting better day by day but still especially when I'm in first gear can be rough/janky.

This was my first time going through the full course putting everything learned/done before into one combined course. Also both hours I was with the young guy as all recent previous days. I guess solo lessons with an instructor are past?

Second hour was course #2 which I had never run before (most of previous practice has always been parts of #1) so doing the crank and S-curve in the opposite direction for the first time was new but not terrible. Also for hour #2 we switched bikes and I was on a silver one which I had never rode before (seems like a unicorn in the fleet of bikes). Also exhaust is different than the other bikes has a more mean growl to it. Feels better than the blue as well I noticed.

My biggest one I need to work on still is that balance beam. To be fair in the 8 or so times I got to do it yesterday I got it 5 out of the 8 times and three times didn't make it so that does at least seem an improvement on past few days. Trying to concentrate on looking forward has helped I think.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I was shocked at the performance of the S22 in the wet. I pushed it a bit and never found its limits (...by design). Silica in the compound makes a real difference.
HAd problems with the S21 in the wet in the past. But the S22 never slipped. While training in the rain some weeks ago, I pushed the tire to my limits and it was perfectly fine. It will be interesting to see how the S23 improve. Maybe some break-tests will give me an answer.

Wubby Interesting journey. Will you hit the road while doing the license or is everything on separate courses?

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Wubby Interesting journey. Will you hit the road while doing the license or is everything on separate courses?

Nothing on the road interestingly enough. That gets replaced with the simulator I take it as wonky as that was. I believe I am at the halfway point now and it looks like there are three hours of simulator stuff in the second half.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Interesting. I would like to try one of those simulators.

I found these two vids on Youtube for it:

View: https://youtu.be/P0YkitcQik4?si=XOKrNdJLIyhFL1wi
youtu.be

【二輪シミュレータ】 RS-6000

2011年10月 新型二輪シミュレータRS-6000導入◎チャンネル登録はこちら↓https://www.youtube.com/user/mitoyodrivingschool--------------------------------------------------------------------...

View: https://youtu.be/8qiLjpVDPu4?si=P84tuaXcDumj2te8
youtu.be

【動産王】二輪車シミュレータ RS-6000 三菱プレシジョン【テスト動画】

二輪車シミュレータ RS-6000 ミツビシ 2007年 三菱 プレシジョン 中古【商品の見学をご希望の方は是非ご連絡ください】#三菱 #二輪車シミュレータ #RS-6000動産王各サイトはこちら!自社サイト:https://dousan-ou.jp/ヤフオク:https://auctions.yahoo.co....

Speaking of which if I am reading my schedule right tonights lesson will also be this simulator.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
5°C yesterday and rain rain rain. 27°C 10 Days ago -.-

Insane right?

The tires have already been run in. My friend with the Honda VTR 1000SP1 has bought a second bike (Aprilia Shiver 900) and we used the handover to break in my tires a little.

That Shiver looks mint by the way, new or just very well kept?

Wait, that rear tire has seen some use, but other than that it looks pretty much new.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Yeah that is a sweet sounding bike. Though his SP1 probably does pretty good in that department as well.
Yes. But only with the aftermarket pipes. My friend has a leoVince system and it's really good sounding. My Euro 5 Speed Triple is tame in comparison.

Didn't had the Shiver on radar. But my friend NEEDED a second V-Twin in his life. Not that anything different would be acceptable. Beside the Headlight it really looks awesome. But as a Speed Triple owner I should be quiet about headlights (I love mine).

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I can relate. Three bikes in the garage at the moment. All of them twins.

But as a Speed Triple owner I should be quiet about headlights (I love mine).

I think those always looked pretty awesome, despite not being a fan of the Transformer / insectoid trend that plagued modern bike for the last 10 / 15 years or so.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
It's funny. It would make so much more sense to have different engine configurations if you have multiple bikes. You know, to have a bit of variety. But no lol.

Having said that, the next bike I'm eyeing is definitely, definitely the new 698 Hypermotard (a single). That thing looks like a complete riot.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
It's funny. It would make so much more sense to have different engine configurations if you have multiple bikes. You know, to have a bit of variety. But no lol.

Having said that, the next bike I'm eyeing is definitely, definitely the new 698 Hypermotard (a single). That thing looks like a complete riot.
I would definitely try want to test ride the new 698 single. But im sceptical about the low end torque.

Last edited:

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Day 7 hour 10!

I was right, tonight's lesson was just simulator. Again with the same young guy that I have been paired with for all these recent lessons. Tonight I did find out he's actually 28 (dude looks so young I thought he was straight out of highschool hah) and works at a factory somewhere in town. He's aiming to get a used Honda CB400 super four (but some older version without vtec?). Nearly same bike we have been training on. He'll also be stopping at just the regular license and not going on to the large one. So far the few people I have seen going for the large license have been relatively few compared to those of us doing regular.

Tonight's simulator was just around town driving. Turn here, avoid these cars, watch out for ambulance coming, etc. Still feels awkward to ride this thing as there is no lean as you are making these turns and doesn't really seem to matter what gear you are in for the most part either. But I guess as long as you are properly stopping where you should and turning where you should that's all that truly matters.

There will be 5 hours of actual riding left and two more hours of simulator before I take actual test on 27th (surprisingly soon). I really need to remember the two courses and master that balance beam completely before test time.

Friday will be another two hours of riding back to back then one hour on Saturday and one sim hour.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Nice, keep at it Wubby

👀 lol. My bike is basically the embodiment of that.

Hmm, yes, but it's not just that. KTM is also about hard angles and I do like those (as evidenced by the fact I had a 1090).

I would definitely try want to test ride the new 698 single. But im sceptical about the low end torque.

Yeah, we'll see. Should be interesting though, a single that revs to (nearly?) 10k.

Last edited:

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Well my bike didn't pass inspection, turns out the tires are 10+ years old. They looked fine to me. Will probably get the dunlop gpr300s. I had those on my last bike and they were fine.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Old rubber is dangerous. had 12 year old tires back then on my Honda Rebel 125. Pure rubbish. But of course tire technology moved forward.

It certainly often is. There is an exception.

youtu.be

Debunking The Tire Age Myth | The Shop Manual

Thanks to Kershaw Knives for sponsoring this episode of The Shop Manual. Kershaw is giving away free pocket knives and offering viewers a discount on all pur...

Basically, if you can get unused tires that have been stored properly, they'll still perform more or less to spec, even if they're old. BUT for every other scenario (which is far more common), they're a death trap. Already mounted on bike, partially used, sat in garage for a long time? Dangerous AF.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Basically, if you can get unused tires that have been stored properly, they'll still perform more or less to spec, even if they're old. BUT for every other scenario (which is far more common), they're a death trap. Already mounted on bike, partially used, sat in garage for a long time? Dangerous AF.

Yeah that was an interesting video. I've experienced it both ways myself. 10 year old Pirellis on that Buell SCG I had a while back, they looked like new but had no grip at all. Conversely, the 10 year old Michelins that came on the GS, perfectly fine. Perhaps some rubber compounds age more gracefully than others.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Just ordered some roadsmart III's off Amazon. tire fit on rear is 190/50 but went with a 190/55 since it was a little cheaper.

Also have some sad news. Last sat went out riding with a friend to get my inspection. He wanted to ride my bike so I was on his 14 R nineT. Earlier he mentioned he put that tire shine spray on his tires. Well I turned at an intersection and I guess I leaned too much and tire slipped and low sided and sprained my ankle. I have a nondisclosed fracture and will be in a boot for 6 weeks. Only damage was a scratch on his cylinder head cover which you can't even see unless you look under.

Worst part will be explaining what happened to my friends/coworkers. They hear injury and motorcycle and immediately go into their "motorcycles are dangerous, you should sell your bike" lectures ignoring the details why it happened.

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Tire shine spray, huh? 🤔

Glad it's 'just' your ankle, but you should still treat that injury with care and attention. An acquaintance had a similar motorcycle mishap that resulted in a broken ankle, it gave him no end of grief however. Make sure you give it time to heal.