• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
Every time we were at Aldi in America we just bagged up everything at the counter after the cashier. It was the only store we expected to do that at.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
How do these work when checking out?

They will most likely ask you if you collect points BEFORE you pay.
It's really not a ton of work tbh Just pull out your bonus card.
The cashier will then scan a barcode off the card or your phone (whatever you like).

REWE_NEUTRAL_Card_kl_01.jpg

Haven't gotten all the stores and bonus affiliations memorized, but REWE & Penny work with Payback.
Edeka & Netto work with Deutschlandcard.
There are also a shitton of gas stations, online shops (eBay for example) that can be linked with your card.

IMO Payback is best, but it depends on where you shop at.
I was never a big fan of these things, was signed up but never actively pursued these points.
Sometime last year, I started to use my Payback card more often and my wife and me have already gotten some nice stuff for free.
As a matter of fact, I just ordered 2 really nice Salt and Pepper grinders made by WMF for free.
You can also get 10€ Appstore cards, movie tickets etc.

Shit adds up quickly and they put coupons in the app like (10x points for your REWE) that accelerate the process.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They are so fast because they have a quota of articles scanned/minute to reach, or they'll get fired.
It sucks but at least they are not slow like those french cashiers.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
For Payback, you used to have to give your card to the cashier before you pay. Thankfully there's now a scanner in front of the cashier so you can scan it yourself. Timing-wise, you can scan your card at any point between the first scanned item and payment.
They will most likely ask you if you collect points BEFORE you pay.
It's really not a ton of work tbh Just pull out your bonus card.
The cashier will then scan a barcode off the card or your phone (whatever you like).

REWE_NEUTRAL_Card_kl_01.jpg

Haven't gotten all the stores and bonus affiliations memorized, but REWE & Penny work with Payback.
Edeka & Netto work with Deutschlandcard.
There are also a shitton of gas stations, online shops (eBay for example) that can be linked with your card.

IMO Payback is best, but it depends on where you shop at.
I was never a big fan of these things, was signed up but never actively pursued these points.
Sometime last year, I started to use my Payback card more often and my wife and me have already gotten some nice stuff for free.
As a matter of fact, I just ordered 2 really nice Salt and Pepper grinders made by WMF for free.
You can also get 10€ Appstore cards, movie tickets etc.

Shit adds up quickly and they put coupons in the app like (10x points for your REWE) that accelerate the process.
🤔 will try

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What? French cashiers are fast
Dude no. I live in France, about 10km from Germany. Whenever I get groceries in France, I dread going to the cashier because a line of 3 people before you = having to wait for 15 minutes before it's finally your turn. And once it's your turn, you get like an item every 10 fucking seconds. Those people a slow af. Thank god they introduced automatic cashiers last year finally.

Oct 29, 2017
I hate shopping at places where they don't pack your bag. I am a spoiled Australian but spending a year in England was awful for that! They just zoom and couldn't care less lol.
Well la-dee-da your highness.

When I was at Uni I usually packed bags for my customers. Had one guy almost cry when I started to do it because he wanted to pack his own bags. Man was crazy. Think maybe his wife left him for a bag-packer or something. Dark times.

It's easier in the UK to just let the lazy cunts pack their own bags.

Pretty sure the contracted form is still 'English', mate. 'American' definitely isn't a language if we're being pedantic.

RivalCore

Oct 28, 2017
Protip if the cashier is scanning too quickly; Intersperse fresh and loose produce between packaged goods since they have to be weighed and typed in. That'll slow the cunts down!

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, gendered articles, the bane of English speaking people. And Slavs.

Lidl is awesome and Aldi has some cool stuff too, enjoy it. But it's weird you mention the cashier thing, here in Spain they're all fast. At least in the city. I'm used to pack the stuff as they scan.

Oct 28, 2017
Also planning on visiting the major cities (Munich, Berlin, Cologne etc) but if there are some not-so-known locations please share.

So far I've also had a tour of Bavaria (Passau, Regensburg) over a few days which was sweet and been to smaller towns such as Tubingen (just gorgeous).

Will do; really looking forward to it all. I've explored a little bit but still really getting my bearings.

Check out Würzburg and Nürnberg! Freiburg is also nice, and on the way you could go over to the French side for Strasbourg and Colmar

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Ah, gendered articles, the bane of English speaking people. And Slavs.

Lidl is awesome and Aldi has some cool stuff too, enjoy it. But it's weird you mention the cashier thing, here in Spain they're all fast. At least in the city. I'm used to pack the stuff as they scan.

Russian got the genders and the cases like German. Do other Slavic languages not have genders?

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Russian got the genders and the cases like German. Do other Slavic languages not have genders?

But do they have articles? Polish for example has all the cases and genders, numbers but in the nouns. Articles don't exist. My gf, who is Polish, got a language shock when she came here lol

In English articles are definite and indefinite (the and a) and that's it. Roman languages have a nice variety of genders and number, and also definite and indefinite. German uses a similar system but with cases. It's more or less easy for us to adapt, it's hard for people who don't use articles or use only two.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I was at a German gas station the other day and when I talked to the cashier I said "ein." She said one what? Then I remembered it should be eins and we all had a laugh at my expense. German is a funny language.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Really? I always get funny looks if I pay for something with a debit card in a supermarket in Germany, and my brother who lives there tells me that the shops don't like people doing that, especially if it's a small amount.

Compare to Netherlands (where I live), where they seem to expect and want everyone to pay by card.
Where I'm at, all shops have contactless/nfc terminals for debit cards. So I just swipe it/put it on the terminal and I'm basically done. Faster than taking cash out of my pocket. So I'm definitely faster paying with a card then with money even if its just 1€.

Thats my go-to strategy: "swipe" the card, start packing, while the terminal processes my payment, I'm mostly done with packing.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
That's why checkouts with these dividers at the end are an absolute godsend.

iiJ26Ej.png

They shove all your shopping down one side, then just shift it over for the next customer's shopping to go down the other side, giving you time to pack even though the next customer is already being served.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
That's why checkouts with these dividers at the end are an absolute godsend.

iiJ26Ej.png

They shove all your shopping down one side, then just shift it over for the next customer's shopping to go down the other side, giving you time to pack even though the next customer is already being served.
Those things used to be everywhere when I was a kid, now they seem virtually extinct. Don't really know why, doesn't seem to be a space issue though.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every time I'm at Aldi or Lidl or some shit I'm fearing the end of the cashier line because these people are literally on a mission to throw my groceries down the checkout counter at light speed. Also why is everything labeled "bio"?

Also, I'm American and speak American, but trying to learn German, currently via duolingo and will sign up for a beginners course. Any other recommendations to reach speaking level ASAP?

Will be here for a while, am excited, the bread and beer are great. People stare a lot. What else should I know?

P.S. What the fuck is this Die/Der/Das/Den/Dick shit?

You are fucked.

Also cashiers are just more efficient in our country. We also like to bag our things on our own. Bio products are mostly shit though. Also don't talk to cashiers. Don't be overly friendly if there is no reason to - be normal.

i legitimately needed fucking help from a kindly stranger when i shopped at a japanese supermarket because their bag situation required moving to a different area

man travelling can make you feel like a dumb child

good luck in deutschland

It's the same for big supermarkets like Metro too here in Germany so I was used to it the few times in Japan when I shopped at AEON e.g.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
But do they have articles? Polish for example has all the cases and genders, numbers but in the nouns. Articles don't exist. My gf, who is Polish, got a language shock when she came here lol

In English articles are definite and indefinite (the and a) and that's it. Roman languages have a nice variety of genders and number, and also definite and indefinite. German uses a similar system but with cases. It's more or less easy for us to adapt, it's hard for people who don't use articles or use only two.

Ah yes, no they don't. In my limited Russian, I know of 'that'/'these' and they decline in all manner of ways, but there's no 'the' or 'a'.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The Japanese systems are pretty good, where like Germany they typically won't bag things for you but there are usually many little stands right after the registers so you can just put things into your basket then bag them after.

Anomander

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is this He/She/Him/Her/They/Them shit?
Not even close. Problem with German articles is that they change based on being Nominative, Accusative, Dative or Genitive. For example a fucking Die in nominative case will be a Der in dative and they practically give you zero extra information. plz help.
If we could use Den for all accusative genders, Dem for dative and Des for genitive, life would be much easier.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
"My philological studies have satisfied me that a gifted person ought to learn English (barring spelling and pronouncing) in thirty hours, French in thirty days, and German in thirty years. It seems manifest, then, that the latter tongue ought to be trimmed down and repaired. If it is to remain as it is, it ought to be gently and reverently set aside among the dead languages, for only the dead have time to learn it."

(Mark Twain)

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Every time I'm at Aldi or Lidl or some shit I'm fearing the end of the cashier line because these people are literally on a mission to throw my groceries down the checkout counter at light speed. Also why is everything labeled "bio"?

Also, I'm American and speak American, but trying to learn German, currently via duolingo and will sign up for a beginners course. Any other recommendations to reach speaking level ASAP?

Will be here for a while, am excited, the bread and beer are great. People stare a lot. What else should I know?

First of all, welcome to germany. Hope you have a great time in our country.

Most Aldi / Lidl / Netto have a very short checkout counter so that people have to hurry and more customers can be processed. That is by design, I worked in some markets. Either you start packing while they are still scanning or use a cart and pack outside the store / near the exit.

If you plan to visit berlin send me a pm, living here for the last 8+ years and may be able to direct you to some cool spots.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
If the cashier is too slow they are fined, there is a camera pointed at them and a lightbarrier that is measuring the time between the register being open and closed. You have to be quick and not dawdle about!

If you block the checkout area as a customer then after 5 minutes the police will be called and if you resist then the army will intervene!

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I have never experienced this high luxury. Sometimes you have volunteers doing bag-packing because they're collecting for a charity/event, but it's definitely not a standard thing in any European country I've been to.
The major Australian supermarkets (Coles, Woolworths) are mostly self service checkouts these days, at least in Sydney. They do have manned (staffed?) checkouts, but those are minimal and generally only used by old people and those with enormous amounts of stuff. Aldi is Aldi though, same deal here.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are so fast because they have a quota of articles scanned/minute to reach, or they'll get fired.
It sucks but at least they are not slow like those french cashiers.
I don't believe you can get fired in Germany because you did not hit a scanned item quota.

On topic.
You need to plan ahead on how to put stuff on the rollerband and how to stack that shit for later packing/ temporarily placing in the shopping cart. It's an artform.
Heavy boxy items first other stuff later, but you need to puzzel it in the shopping card in such a way that you can still put the heavy boxy shit first in your actuall bags.

Since a couple guys here commented on bio products.
Bio is fine, buy it if you have the funds (recent studies found out that chicken meat is 98% likely to have traces of hormones and antibiotics, compared to 0% in bio chicken meat in Germany). There are some items where bio is more of a marketing stunt (Tomato's from the Netherland (100% greenhouse, no wasted earth, chemicals and super low about of water used) >> bio tomato's from elsewhere).

If you use Paypack or similar bonus cards be advised that, coupled with your smartphones location data, you are trackable not only when/where you shop but also what you buy. That data is then sold to the same people that buy your Google info etc. At least you are getting compensations for your personal data.

Also do the planet a solid one and buy drinks/water in ideally glass bottles. A lot of other drinks bottles (every carbonated one) are refundable at any store, for your glass stuff there containers everywhere in the city.

Last edited:

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I go to Australian Aldi, but I find that the experience is most easily managed if you go in with one of those gigantic Aldi bags - assuming German Aldi also uses them - and shop until that bag is full.

That way you can put the heaviest items first as ballast, and then fill up the bag as quickly as the cashier can scan them. Since you're only dealing with one gigantic bag, you know where everything will go and be easily able to manage the load.

Shopping for bigger loads, something I haven't done in many years, so, I cannot give help there.
Helping a relative buy a 55in TV there was an experience, however.
Oh man, that reminds me of the time I went to get a pop-up marquee thing for the garden (was ridiculous cheap and we had some friends coming during summer). Anyway, it was so packed that it had basically become a block puzzle, only one actual space in the entire store that anyone could move into. Am actually surprised there was no death.

I have never experienced this high luxury. Sometimes you have volunteers doing bag-packing because they're collecting for a charity/event, but it's definitely not a standard thing in any European country I've been to.

They mean well, and it's for charity but that's when your eggs are going to be at the bottom of the bag.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
What the fuck is this He/She/Him/Her/They/Them shit?
Like others said, what you posted would be "Er/sie/ihm/ihr/sie/ihnen" in German.
The "Die/Der/Das/Den/Dick" you quoted would be "The/The/The/The/Dick" in English. Bit tricky..

Edit:
A nice example:
(I'm gonna keep German word order to make following the translation easier)
"DER Hund, DIE Ratte und DAS Pferd gehen mit DEM Kind in DEN Park"
"THE dog, THE rat and THE horse go with THE child to THE park"

Bonus: "DAS Kind mit DEM Kind und DEN Kindern" = "THE child with THE child and THE children".

Bonus 2:
"Die Frau DEREN Hund ich sehe"
"The woman WHOSE dog I see"
"Der Mann DESSEN Hund ich sehe"
"The man WHOSE dog I see"

Last edited:

Havik

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I sometimes shop at the Aldi in Belgium and the space behind the cashier to place stuff is tiny (seriously, there is room for like 3-4 items). If you have a big cart of groceries it is impossible to keep up.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They do and it's because of social status. When you stare at someone and he flinches and you basically win the staring-game then you establish your status as the alpha lead in the bus or the train. Without knowing this, society would crumble!
And if both stare indefinitely, two alphas have crossed paths? Cursed to meet each other's gazes, forevermore? Slowly, developing a mutual respect and unsaid affection for one another? But unfortunately already married, and so barred from making or adopting alpha inheritors? My goodness, that is heartbreaking.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Sorting my things in advance so I can put them as fast and safely as possible in my bag is one of life's best little pleasures. Durable stuff in front, squishy produce at the end... sheesh I'm swooning already!

(yes I'm German)

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
And if both stare indefinitely, two alphas have crossed paths? Cursed to meet each other's gazes, forevermore? Slowly, developing a mutual respect and unsaid affection for one another? But unfortunately already married, and so barred from making or adopting alpha inheritors? My goodness, that is heartbreaking.
It's actually like when the angels in Dr Who (the creatures that can only move when unobserved) look at each other.
Unless a kind strangers moves at least on of the alphas, or helps them by somehow breaking their line of sight, they'll just stand there indefinitely. Now, unlike angels, Germans can actually die, which means that in worst case scenarios, the stronger alpha just has to bide his time until the weaker one perishes.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Just being effective so everyone has more time.
If you like slow cashiers, go to mediterranean countries.

Mar 29, 2018
American English is listed separately from British English on a lot of stuff
I would consider American acceptable shorthand for that
why dont people get its different? Its not complex. Not only is the morphology totally different for most consonants, the vocabulary is way different than British English.
Here's some fun actual real linguistics (i.e. actual science) for you:

The rule of thumb is that if it's mutually intelligible it's not a separate language. It's an accent or a dialect.

Most people from Britain and most people from America can completely understand one another - this means they are literally speaking the same language. (English). You can take someone who learned English in India and put them with an American and they'll understand each other, by and large. That means they're speaking the same language. Vernacular, slang, etc doesn't count as they're fringe use.

That said, it's not a hard line and there is some contention among linguists. Circumstances where this line blurs. E.g. take a person from deepest rural Alabama and put them with a person from deepest rural Ireland, and yeah, they might not be able to understand one another even if they're both speaking English.

Velocity - dafuq you talking about them having different morphologies? They're morphologies are exactly the bloody same! (In 99.9% of cases.)
How are the weird sex clubs?
Note that in Germany they are not considered weird and, indeed, sex isn't weird. Go to a lot of completely normal average Friday night clubs in Berlin for instance and you'll find sex bits. Think of your local preferred nightclub but with a basement or back room like that. And nobody blinks an eye.

Last edited: