Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my first thought was UP, they give you the gut punch montage and then a completely forgettable movie.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Femme Fatale by Brian De Palma.

The opening jewel heist is so well done.

Rest of the movie never matches it. But hey, we got that Antonio Banderas gif out of it

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
The Boogeyman.

The first 10 minutes of the movies were fucking amazing and scary as hell. Too bad the rest of the movie was such a borefest I fell asleep during most of it along with my cousin who came with me.

Hoagmaster

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll put my vote in for Scream. Opening on Drew Berrymore settling in to watch a scary movie when she gets a call from an unknown, increasingly threatening voice that eventually asks:

"What's your favorite scary movie?"

I think this is an iconic line/moment in slasher movies now.

The rest of the movie is totally fine and entertaining, but I found it not as engaging as that opening in terms of tension and excitement.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Except for the bit at the very end, I'd say Godzilla '14 fits this bill.

Movie needed way more Bryan Cranston melodrama.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Another Pixar one:

220px-Brave_Poster.jpg

Film was looking very intriguing up to the part where Merida rejects the arranged marraige and lands the triple bullseye in the Archery Contest, destroying the dress she was forced to wear in the process.

And then it becomes Mother Bear.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
The first 2-3 minutes of Fury Road setup a cool ass scenario, wasted on some 2 hr chase scene with grunt acting by Tom Hardy.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll put my vote in for Scream. Opening on Drew Berrymore settling in to watch a scary movie when she gets a call from an unknown, increasingly threatening voice that eventually asks:

"What's your favorite scary movie?"

I think this is an iconic line/moment in slasher movies now.

The rest of the movie is totally fine and entertaining, but I found it not as engaging as that opening in terms of tension and excitement.

Post 60... Post 60?! For real people, this scene is so intense and so amazing, and didn't get a mention until 60?! :(

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
the 2009 reboot / sequel? Friday the 13th. You get a smart, fast paced Jason Voorhees setting traps in the woods and just fucking wrecks an entire group of teens. Then you get an entire movie after that that does the same thing over a long period which much less flash. That opening sets the tone really well for what could have been a great entry in the series and then just kind of loses steam and falls into the (still admittedly enjoyable) tropes of a Friday the 13th film.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Came to say Up, lol. Not that the rest of the movie was bad, I'd argue that it's actually pretty great all the way until Kevin shows and becomes the focus. But yeah, that opening.

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Can't agree with UP, fantastic movie from start to finish. Same with DK and Fury Road LOL.

IT Chapter 1

The movie never gets as violent nor do I feel like any of the kids were in as much peril as I did the kid in the opening scene who
gets his arm torn off.
I thought that scene was going to set the tone for the movie, but it felt pretty safe after that.

I agree with this one, I remember seeing it in the theater and thinking they weren't messing around and although it's a good movie could have went further with that tone. I do wish they would have kept the deleted scene towards the end with Henry Bowers though, definitely would have kept with the vibe of the beginning of the film.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Many horror movies sadly do this. They have a great premise or start great, but fail to take that and make it last a full movie length. Why lot of horror ideas really are better as short stories as they don't really have enough substance for full length feature.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Recency bias, but Endgame. Loved the start and then was bored by the rest.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Doctor Pavel, I'm CIA

He wasn't alone

Uh, you don't get to bring friends

They are not my friends

Don't worry, no charge for them

And why would I want them?

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man

B A N E ?

Aye

Get them onboard, I'll call it in

The flight plan I just filed with the agency lists me, my men, Dr. Pavel here, but only one of you. First one to talk gets to stay on my aircraft. Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel? He didn't fly so good, who wants to try next? Tell me about Bane. Why does he wear the mask? A lot of loyalty for a hired gun

Or perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane

At least you can talk, who are you?

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan. No one cared who I was until I put on the mask

If I pull that off, will you die?

It would be extremely painful

You're a big guy

F O R Y O U

A masterpiece of a scene.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
The Takashi Mittke film Dead or Alive starts with a cool montage and goes to shit soon after. NSFW

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
We watched it years late, but the opening to Super Troopers (2003) was hysterical, then it becomes a fractured, middling sitcom-tier experience.
I don't think the rest of the movie is that that much of a downgrade. But it was definitely the one I had in mind when I clicked into this thread.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
Scream

(And the rest of the film is actually pretty decent, but man that opening scene is amazing)

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Hereafter opens with a truly epic set piece based on the 2008 tsunami.

The rest of the movie is mind numbing garbage.