DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For example, The Terminator can be classified as a horror, slasher movie even though most people would just describe it as sci-fi or action.

dIiNBQV.png

Similarly, RoboCop is technically a cyberpunk movie but most people don't realize it, because it's a rare example of a cyberpunk story that's told from the point of view of the cops instead of the point of view of normal citizens.

O7aWM1M.jpg

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not even sure what genre Donnie darko falls into normally, but jesus does it have some really heavy horror like elements to it with Frank

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I recently posted that I thought Alien and Terminator were horror movies, and thats why I hate the sequels to both. Its all action after that.

A Scanner Darkly is clearly a soft cyberpunk movie, but its also a pretty good crime procedural.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Escape from NY is considered "action", but there is very small scale action that takes up about 5% of the movie. It's hard to classify what genre it really is.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a political thriller /s

For a serious answer, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids is another secret horror movie.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Terminator *is* a horror movie.

I never even contemplated that such a concept was unusual or controversial.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
The majority of the events in The Shining seem to take place between Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years, and it's a movie about spending time with family and features lots of snow and sweaters. I thus consider it a Christmas movie.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Home Alone is a horror movie—adult fears like leaving a kid behind on a family trip, dealing with burglars in your own home, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
A revolutionary new technology is introduced to a society. The characters struggle and change to adapt their lives to the new technological paradigm.

Singing in the Rain is Hard Science Fiction.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Terminator *is* a horror movie.

I never even contemplated that such a concept was unusual or controversial.

It feel like Terminator 2 was so successful as an action movie that it knocked the zeitgeist completely away from the horror aspects of the first.

Back then, Terminator 1 FELT different than 2.

It's so obviously cyberpunk that I have a hard time believing most people don't notice it.

Re: Robocop, as a child when I watched it, there were always faint semblances of what I now understand as body horror. But also, the presentation, a certain feel to Robocop's cybernetic/UI manifestations, gives it a feel that feels futuristic and dystopian (ASIDE from the actual economy portrayed in the movie) but doesn't "feel cyberpunk" since it deviates away from the body-modifications-flying-car-level technological advances that people often associate with the genre.

So to me, Robocop gives off this balanced feel across genres that I can't put my finger on, and also not replicated much in other movies.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Die Hard is a Christmas movie.
No it isn't. It only started because the film was G-rated and released during the Christmas season. Eventually "Your Uncle on Facebook" jokes started to emerge and it snowballed like some weird conspiracy theory to even where 20th Century Fox said it was "the greatest Christmas story ever!"

It's not a Christmas movie. Never was. Just set during Christmas.

Die Hard being a Christmas movie is literally fake news and I am still surprised people fall for it and legit 100% defend that position. People who do probably believe other weird conspiracy theories too. Avoid them at all costs.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
No it isn't. It only started because the film was G-rated and released during the Christmas season. Eventually "Your Uncle on Facebook" jokes started to emerge and it snowballed like some weird conspiracy theory to even where 20th Century Fox said it was "the greatest Christmas story ever!"

Die Hard being a Christmas movie is literally fake news and I am still surprised people fall for it and legit 100% defend that position. People who do probably believe other weird conspiracy theories too. Avoid them at all costs.

Someone's not getting any yippee ki yay in their stocking.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Who hurt you

It totally is a Christmas movie

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Escape from NY is considered "action", but there is very small scale action that takes up about 5% of the movie. It's hard to classify what genre it really is.
Escape from NY is closer to a western than an action movie, honestly.

Sounds like there is a story here.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I'll always argue In Bruge is the best Christmas film

Edit: Also people argue against my belief that The Lighthouse is a black comedy

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I recently watched the original Terminator, and yeah, it's definitely more of an 80's slasher film a la Halloween and movies like that (definitely much moreso than every other Terminator film that came after). It just happens to have sci-fi elements as part of its story and lore.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Escape from NY is closer to a western than an action movie, honestly.

Sounds like there is a story here.
The only story is a bunch of people made the equivelent of 80s social jokes on a different IRL Facebook platform about the movie being rated G and during the holiday season so it was mocked as a Christmas movie. Now a bunch have heard these memes so many times their brains actually believe it. Basically it was believing lies on the Internet before the Internet.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
A revolutionary new technology is introduced to a society. The characters struggle and change to adapt their lives to the new technological paradigm.

Singing in the Rain is Hard Science Fiction.

Science fiction requires that the technology in question is, well... fictional, though.

I recently posted that I thought Alien and Terminator were horror movies, and thats why I hate the sequels to both. Its all action after that.

"Many people don't associate" Alien with the horror genre? :)

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the recent MCU films, except Blank Panther, have so many jokes you could call them comedies.

Last edited:

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Technically MCU movies are Science Fiction movies but I think everyone associates them with their own genre of superhero movie.

Ghostbusters is more Sci-Fi Horror than Comedy.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Another: The Snowman from 2017

Movie's so bafflingly inept it could work as a ZAZ-style parody with a few small tweaks.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm not even sure what genre Donnie darko falls into normally, but jesus does it have some really heavy horror like elements to it with Frank

youtu.be

(Donnie Darko Soundtrack) Manipulated Living

(Donnie Darko Soundtrack) Manipulated Living

This song ...blah. Creeps me oooout

Wedding Crashers is a rom-com.

It's, I guess, a more male-marketed rom-com haha

giphy.gif

I'm gonna go ahead and say an easy one. This movie is as much sci-fi as it is comedy. It certainly likes to inject it as much as possible.