• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
This subject is so uniquely personal for everyone, I love and hate getting out of the movie theater totally wrecked, i cant think of anything more that the movie I saw for days.

Off the top of my head I could say:

The Tree of life: totally unprepared for this, I dont even believe in god, but damn it hit me like a truck, the visuals, the music, the characters, the photography, the monologues, what a fine piece of art.
Arrival: Amazing the way Amy Adams plays his character, such calmness, it exudes so much love for his child knowing how is going to end, mixed with amazing score it stuck with me for weeks.
The End of Evangelion: A classic at this point, but just like many here I watched it the first time when I was really young, and I couldn't believe what I was watching, since that day no mater what it will always be a top 10 movie for me.

and on another lighter tone or worst tone i could say:

Martys: this movie, this movieeeee, nobody is prepared for this, from beginning to end it tore me apart piece by piece, at the end i didn't think they got more to trow at me but nooo, they finish my soul with a freaking gunshot to the head.
20th Century Women: Maaan what a pleasant movie, there is love put in this from beginning to end, it left me floating in good feelings, with the right amount of introspection.

That what i can think of now.

Last edited:

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List are two films that always greatly affect my mood upon watching.

They're such well made movies but I always feel a sense of guilt by being "entertained" by the atrocities of that time period.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
Most recently? Arrival.

The ending was a gut punch.
Yeah, that really sucked.

My all-time is probably going to be Forrest Gump. He beat all the odds and everyone's expectations but still got gut-checked by life at the end. He had tremendous success and tremendous failure. I nearly wore out our VHS tape watching, rewinding and then re-watching that movie.

Last edited:

Juminha

Oct 29, 2017
large_bwVhmPpydv8P7mWfrmL3XVw0MV5.jpg

Till this day, i can't watch it again...

Ochse_Revolver-Poster.jpg

The "ego rules", loved it!

Lurker

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
46ba97938ec978d3ab370dd23ceae5e8.jpg

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring
Best coming-of-age film I've ever watched.

Anomalisa-xlarge.jpg

Anomalisa
I love how it portrayed the mundaneness of life.

Jojo Leir

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1200x630bb.jpg

I was very young when I say this for the first time. It was the first movie I had ever watched that didn't have a happy ending. The futility of the whole journey left a deep impression on me; I can't say I liked it, but I couldn't stop thinking about it for a while, either.

It also introduced me to Louis Armstrong: fantastic musician and harbinger of the apocalypse.

This scene from Jason Goes to Hell fucked me up as a kid:

Oct 27, 2017
enter the void, and pretty much everything else directed by Gaspar Noe - creative genius

big fan of Robin Williams, every film he was in really made me feel something, especially Good Will Hunting and Dead Poet's Society

Macs

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Interstellar and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button touched very deep strings inside me, I can barely hold tears in some scenes.

Paskowitz

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Se7en... maaan... whooof... eeehhh. This scene had me squirming. And then the gut punch of the ending. First time I saw it, I felt like crap for a couple days.

Seven-David-Fincher1-810x376.jpg

I mean... damn...

The man in question is played by Leland Orser. To prepare for this role, he stayed up all night before filming in order to appear as distressed as possible. The only problem was that there was a change of schedule and filming was moved to the next day. So he spent another lonely night without slumber, smoking and drinking coffee.

On the day of filming, one part of which takes place in an interrogation room, he developed another technique: between takes, he forced himself to breathe quickly in order to hyperventilate for the scene.

"I did over 40 takes of the interrogation scene. And I passed out during one of them, because of the emotional intensity in the scene.

Morgan Freeman was an incredible acting partner, and he quietly directed me to find some point in the scene where I would look him in the eyes, and ultimately that became the high point of the scene, when I found his eyes."

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I still think about Blade Runner 2049, and I haven't seen it since it came out.
The image of K lying down on the steps still fucks me up.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boys Don't Cry fucked me up for a good solid day. I was just profoundly sad

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really hard-hitting drama's for me but rather directors going all-out with their ceative filmmaking skills like Evil Dead II or Gremlins 2. Films like for example, Raiders of the Lost Ark really resonate with me on a creative level and that's what sticks by me. I could watch any of those movies any day and still be impressed by the sheer craftsmanship behind it all. That's not saying profound movies don't do anything for me, but ultimately they just don't stick with me like those other movies do. Maybe I look for different things in films.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Requiem for a dream - first time I saw it was when I was 17, I remember feeling so fucking numb, that ending left me fucking floored.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Arrival - It was an absolutely joy, everything about it invoked a sense of melancholy in me, JĂłhann JĂłhannsson's score was awe inspiring, you can never go wrong with On the Nature of Daylight. The ending and Amy Adam's performance were a treat.
Black swan - It was a very unsettling movie for me, the way the story progressed and concluded was something I cherished.
The Pianist - What can be said about this movie that has been said a million times before.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
The Tree of Life and It's Such a Beautiful Day.

It'll never cease to amaze me that these two films had pretty much the exact same effect on me, despite being about as different as two films can be. TToL is naturalistic, semi-religious, uplifting, obsessed with beauty and love; ISaBD is a stick-figure animation film that is heavily postmodern, primarily narrated, 'stuck' in the mundane, highly abrasive, and filled with regret and the kind of slow madness that takes people's lives decades before they die.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Requiem for a dream - first time I saw it was when I was 17, I remember feeling so fucking numb, that ending left me fucking floored.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Black swan - It was a very unsettling movie for me, the way the story progressed and concluded was something I cherished.

Aronofsky fan, huh? You might like to check out mother! by the same director, if you haven't yet. Very strong film.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Aronofsky fan, huh? You might like to check out mother! by the same director, if you haven't yet. Very strong film.
I am a fan of him indeed, I have loved all his releases except The fountain and Noah. I've been meaning to check out mother!, but the way some people and some critics talk about it, it sounds like it is a pretentious bore like the fountain

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
I am a fan of him indeed, I have loved all his releases except The fountain and Noah. I've been meaning to check out mother!, but the way some people and some critics talk about it, it sounds like it is a pretentious bore like the fountain
There's plenty of reason to find it pretentious, but I can tell you that it certainly isn't a bore ;-)

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
This past weekend, I saw Call Me By Your Name for the second time. I first saw it in December of last year and the movie hit me like a truck. It was everything I imagined it would be, and more.

I laughed. I cried. I actually felt something. And somehow, seeing it again was just as wonderful.

This movie speaks to me on so many levels and - judging by critic and audience reception - a lot of people have felt the same way.

I've seen a lot of movies. A lot of movies. And I can say with confidence, that Call Me By Your Name is a masterpiece.

So, Era, tell me about a film that moved you in ways you won't ever forget?
The feeling of uneasy almost panic when Elio and Oliver decide to fullfill their lust from private to unkown rural village setting, I almost begged to the movie to not end in some awful homophobic hate crime in the making. Always had the "120 days of sodom" filmaker killing in my psiche when I see some 70/80's Italian movie pushing with Italy "morals" of the time. Maybe i'm just ignorant.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I basically did not believe in the concept of Human Rights until I saw District 9. Can't really blame myself though, I was young and religious.

But that movie was a turning point for me, it intiated by journey from a religious extremist to a hardcore liberal.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big Fish. I turned into a sobbing mess at the end. If only it wasn't in front of a hundred strangers.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Vanilla Sky.

Surprisingly, it actually has more of an impact of me the more distant I am from my initial viewing of it. There are a lot of themes about lost/unrequited love, self-sabotage, and acceptance.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
The Basketball Diaries, Let the Right One In, The Road, Boyhood, Perks of Being a Wallflower (Book hits harder), Stand By Me, Fanny and Alexander, Contact

HPSauce

Jan 10, 2018
U.K.
Your Name shook me to the core. From the half way point onwards I was an emotional wreck to the point where I was actually shouting at my tv by the conclusion. Anybody that has yet to see this film has a responsibility to themselves to do so. It's absolutely incredible.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a very emotional and empathetic person, there's way to fucking many. But recently, The Shape of Water. Having a deaf mother, somethings really hit me

In particular the scene where she breaks down and expresses how she feels like an incomplete person

The dance and song sequence and the moment leading up to it. Straining her voice before it transitions into if she were "normal" broke my heart.

As someone who surrounds himself with outcast people, who is one himself, things about people having a hard time with society, what it means to "belong" tend to resonate with me quite a bit. The shape of water is a lovely film and I'm tearing up thinking about the spoilers I posted lol

Oct 27, 2017
The Big lebowski.

I'm just on a personal level, a really enormous fan. The Big Lebowski, especially the early scenes, was truly a source of inspiration

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Marley and Me fucked me up. I went home and cuddled my senior dog weeping for like 6 hours.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Many films do, but Big Fish gets my mention in this thread for reducing me to tears every time I watch that final scene.

Also, since Big Fish was already mentioned, an extra shout-out to this beauty of a film:

life-is-beautiful.jpg

The ending broke me the first time I watched this as a kid.

banefirelord

Dec 18, 2017
I've found myself sobbing at the end of three movies: Toy Story 3, La La Land, and Source Code. Toy Story's pretty self explanatory. La La Land was one of the more perfect bittersweet stickings-of-landings I've ever seen. I have no idea what the fuck was up with Source Code.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
"A Silent Voice" made me cry like a child for 10-20 minutes after it ended. I saw it at a cinema full of people, they were also crying.

Oct 28, 2017
Rarely do I go a day without making some bizarre allusion between my life and Good Will Hunting. It's the film that never stops giving, and I often put it on for background noise while I'm cleaning, cooking, etc. Good Will Hunting truly centers me, idk why.