Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
MGeQ4MA.gif

Source: Avengers: Infinity War

Welcome
Hello and welcome to the monthly Movies You've Seen Recently thread. The place to hang out and talk movies with fellow movie lovers!

Pick 3, get 3
Signups are open through April 9th! Sign up and get randomly matched with another poster and pick 3 films that person has never watched, and someone picks 3 films for you. Good opportunity to learn more about our posters and discover films you otherwise might not have! Just respond in the thread and tag Flow you want to join in.

ps We need a better name for this concept, don't be shy if you have an idea.

15 films to see in April
Wondering what movies are worth seeing in cinemas this month? Kevin1025 has got you covered in his 15 Films to See in April thread.

Thread rules
1. Be nice, be civil, use common sense
2. Respect the opinions of other members, no matter how wrong they are
3. Use spoiler tags accordingly
4. Have fun, we're all here because we love movies

DO NOT just post the title of the movie you watched. It isn't conducive to the kind of discussion & communication we want to engender here, because it tells us nothing of you, the movie, the impact of the latter on the former. Post scores, descriptions, essays, poems, gifs, hashtags, whatever provides you the best outlet for personal expression, you unique little digital snowflake. - icarus-daedelus

Want to introduce yourself?
New to the Movie's you've seen recently community? Let us know a bit about yourself:

1. What's your favorite Movie?
2. Who's your favorite director?
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
5. What's your favorite performance in film?

- Post your top 5 new viewings from the previous month!

Useful external links:

Letterboxd
ICheckMovies
IMDb
Rotten Tomatoes
Metacritic

List of Movies you've seen recently members on letterboxd said:

If you want to be added to the list above, shoot me a PM and you'll be added.

Unsure of what to watch? Just ask for recommendations in here. We don't bite!

OP
OP
Divius

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I logged 21 entries for films during March 2018.

TOP 5 NEW VIEWINGS OF MARCH
5. The Gleaners & I
4. The Fugitive
3. Paddington & Paddington 2 (yes, I know I am cheating)
2. Phantom Thread
1. The Last Picture Show

MOST VALUABLE REWATCHES OF MARCH
The Man Who Wasn't There

WORST NEW VIEWINGS OF MARCH
Pitch Perfect 3

Goal for April: Chip away at my backlog. With life getting busier but my love for movies ever growing, stuff gets added to my backlog faster than it gets actually watched.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Top 5 of March
1. The Man from Nowhere
2. I Saw the Devil
3. John Wick 1 + 2
4. Han Gong-ju
5. Thor Ragnarok

More movies watched
6. Ingrid Goes West
7. Baby Driver
8. The Last Jedi
9. mother!

Binged on some quality Korean films last month

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Might as well post this here.

I just watched IT 2017 and what an absolutely disappointing watch. I am having a genuinely hard time getting over how much they butchered Mike Hanlon. They omitted large parts of his rich backstory and handed the rest over to some white kid, essentially reducing him to a token black character. I haven't followed much surrounding the 2017 release, but if I knew how poorly they treated Hanlon I would have avoided the movie. I can't believe I paid for this shit.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thor Ragnarok was an enjoyable flick, but it actually started to bother me that they kept cracking jokes like every 5 minutes (or even more often).

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mind Game
Thank you adult swim for doing subtitled Toonami for April Fools. Got a chance to watch this again after seeing it in a theater months ago but feel asleep while watching it. Finally watched the entire thing (only really needed to see the 2nd half). Movie was totally worth it.

Now for the love of god GKids, give us a Blu-Ray release!

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I only watched 10 films in March, probably because I've been all about catching up on TV shows and that'll continue in April.

TOP 5 NEW WATCHES
1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
2. Coco
3. Annihilation
4. It Comes at Night
5. The Shape of Water

Honorable mention to Tomb Raider, I absolutely loved that movie.
I only rewatched one movie which was Doctor Strange since it hit Netflix in March.
Other movies I watched in March include Veronica, Blended and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle.

In April I'll definitely watch Avengers: Infinity War, but I also expect to check out A Quiet Place and maybe Ready Player One.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg ****1/2 This hit me like a train. Somehow despite knowing the operatic conceit I'd managed to come with near-zero knowledge about the actual plot, about how the film methodically dismantles a perfect movie love as circumstance and time whisk the characters towards a more grounded love. The collision of artifice and reality in the perpetual singing, where even slang-filled conversations and pleasantries exchanged with postal workers are rendered as grand, situates the film in such a peculiar emotional state. By the end the film's reached a sublime measure of saudade, of melancholy colored with sincere contentedness, acceptance of an absence that will always be there but isn't necessarily sad.

Top 5 new watches of March:
1. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
2. The Florida Project
3. Song to Song
4. A Bagful of Fleas
5. A Man Escaped
out of 17 new viewings, 2 rewatches.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
23 films for me. The most so far this year. Bold are first time watches.

The Hard Way
Asura: The City of Madness

Aliens
The Running Man
The Warlords
Clue
Mimic
The Killer
The Outsider

Eraserhead
The Garden of Words
Love on Delivery
Look out Officer!

Kung Fu Hustle
Annihilation
Hard Boiled
Escape from New York
Escape from LA
In this Corner of the World
The Red Turtle
It Comes At Night
Suburbicon

Getting Any?

A solid month. Some good new and rewatches.

First time - The Killer was great, same with both Stephen Chow films and Annihilation. Best rewatch is tough... Hard Boiled, Eraserhead, Kung Fu Hustle, Aliens, Getting Any? Too many!

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 New Watches in March:

1) Thoroughbreds
2) The Death of Stalin
3) Ready Player One
4) The Director and the Jedi (the Last Jedi doc)
5) Wild Strawberries

I didn't watch too, too much last month. But I plan on seeing a lot more now! Hoping to clear out my Netflix list some, along with the mounting pile of digital movies.

Oct 26, 2017
Mediocre March is what I'm calling it. Only saw 7 new movies, including Pitch Perfect 3 last night. 2 rewatches (Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther).

Top 3 new watches:
1. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
2. Coco
3. Only the Brave

Worst of the month was actually The Shape of Water for me. That simply did not click at all.

As for Pitch Perfect 3, as a movie it's a complete mess. But I like the songs and some of the jokes were funny. Shrug.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
March was a very rewatch heavy month for, and pretty sparse due to vacation. The only new viewing for me that was worth a damn was:

Le Cercle Rouge: Melville applies the same icy, distant take on criminal professionalism that made Le Samurai so notable and applies it to a heist picture in the vein of Asphalt Jungle and Rififi. It's a bit too reliant on crazy coincidence --although I suppose that's in line with the buddhist philosophy it gets its title from--but its remains a pleasure to watch men with absolutely nothing worth living for devote their tremendous talents to crime (before things inevitably go south, which neither you nor the characters seem to care all that much about given their aforementioned lack of reasons to stay alive or out of prison).

and the best rewatch was:

The Conversation: "I'm not afraid of death...but I am afraid of murder."

The way Gene Hackman and Coppola portray paranoia as not some cartoonish abstraction of fear but stemming from an identifiable source is what makes the whole thing work. Harry Caul desperately wants to believe his work as a surveillance man is an insular profession that has no direct repercussions due to his involvement, but of course his desperate need to sequester every bit of his life from the outside world belies that fact. And of course the problem with his tactics are that of course just as his work has very real implications for the livelihood of his subjects, it is impossible for him to hide himself away (beautifully depicted in so many ways; just look at his translucent rain coat, the sheets of plastic in his workshop, or even his last name 'Caul').
Sandwiched in between the two Godfathers yet somehow this might be Coppola's most perfect movie.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Huge announcement:

The Criterion Collection is proud to announce that it will be releasing one of the landmarks of independent cinema, downtown icon Jim Jarmusch's epic ode to everything Stranger Than Paradise, in the form the filmmaker originally intended.

While working on Criterion's upcoming release of Dead Man, Jarmusch revealed that his breakthrough film had originally been conceived as a 3D experience. "When we originally filmed the movie," he said, "we tried duct-taping two Bolex cameras together, but at the time we just weren't able to combine the two images correctly for 3D . . . until now!"

Criterion's Jon Mulvaney says that by any measure this will be one of the company's proudest achievements. "Here at Criterion, we've always been committed to presenting each film as its maker would want it seen, fully restored, in the correct aspect ratio, and so on, but this isn't just a matter of a few dirt and scratch fixes or an alternate shot here and there. This is a chance to make a filmmaker's dream come true."

When it was released in 1984, Stranger Than Paradiseset the standard for immersive indie experiences, but few knew that they had only seen half the film. The secondary camera reels, long thought lost, were discovered in Jarmusch's basement in stunning mint condition. Scanned in 4K, the reels were composited using state-of-the-art 3D-Lineator® MARK IV™ software to create the ultra-real impression that Jarmusch always hoped for. You can practically smell the sidewalks of the East Village and the shores of Lake Erie! Look for STP3D at select theaters later this year.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Le Cercle Rouge: Melville applies the same icy, distant take on criminal professionalism that made Le Samurai so notable and applies it to a heist picture in the vein of Asphalt Jungle and Rififi. It's a bit too reliant on crazy coincidence --although I suppose that's in line with the buddhist philosophy it gets its title from--but its remains a pleasure to watch men with absolutely nothing worth living for devote their tremendous talents to crime (before things inevitably go south, which neither you nor the characters seem to care all that much about given their aforementioned lack of reasons to stay alive or out of prison).

and the best rewatch was:

The Conversation: "I'm not afraid of death...but I am afraid of murder."

The way Gene Hackman and Coppola portray paranoia as not some cartoonish abstraction of fear but stemming from an identifiable source is what makes the whole thing work. Harry Caul desperately wants to believe his work as a surveillance man is an insular profession that has no direct repercussions due to his involvement, but of course his desperate need to sequester every bit of his life from the outside world belies that fact. And of course the problem with his tactics are that of course just as his work has very real implications for the livelihood of his subjects, it is impossible for him to hide himself away (beautifully depicted in so many ways; just look at his translucent rain coat, the sheets of plastic in his workshop, or even his last name 'Caul').
Sandwiched in between the two Godfathers yet somehow this might be Coppola's most perfect movie.
These sound awesome. I'll check them out. Speaking of Melville, have you seen Les Enfants Terribles?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 March (New)
1) I Am A Hero
2) Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
3) Cold Hell
4) A Taxi Driver
5) Evolution

Top 5 March (Rewatches)
1) Blade Runner 2049
2) The Void
3) For A Few Dollars More
4) Dog Soldiers
5) Inception

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg ****1/2 This hit me like a train. Somehow despite knowing the operatic conceit I'd managed to come with near-zero knowledge about the actual plot, about how the film methodically dismantles a perfect movie love as circumstance and time whisk the characters towards a more grounded love. The collision of artifice and reality in the perpetual singing, where even slang-filled conversations and pleasantries exchanged with postal workers are rendered as grand, situates the film in such a peculiar emotional state. By the end the film's reached a sublime measure of saudade, of melancholy colored with sincere contentedness, acceptance of an absence that will always be there but isn't necessarily sad.

Top 5 new watches of March:
1. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
2. The Florida Project
3. Song to Song
4. A Bagful of Fleas
5. A Man Escaped
out of 17 new viewings, 2 rewatches.

A wonderful movie. If you were interested in the character of Cassard, check out Lola. Les Demoiselles de Rochefort is a similar movie-musical, but not nearly as coherent or good.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Top, uh, 4 of March. Yeah, I didn't watch movies much last month.

1. The Breadwinner
2. For Your Eyes Only
3. Moon
4. Donnie Darko

Anyway, happy Easter everyone!

Monty Python's Life of Brian: The movie sucks! They mention the name of God several times, it's blasphemy! The jokes are dull, none of the characters are interesting, they're clearly reusing actors from The Holy Grail, and I don't get what anyone sees in Bright Side of Life.

April Fools!

This movie isn't as good as Holy Grail, but it's still worth a watch. I was expecting Brian's life to be a mundane parallel of Jesus, but the whole Messiah plotline doesn't happen until after halfway through the movie. In fact, you only really see Jesus at the beginning when he's delivering The Sermon on the Mount. It does feature some of the most famous comedy scenes (notably Biggus Dickus). Bright Side of Life is a memorable, cheery song and it's a shame I can't whistle.

Roberto Duran

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 new watches for March for me:
1. Deep Red
2. Night of the Living Dead
3. The Witch
4. Sweet Smell of Success
5. The Babadook

Top 5 rewatches for me:
1. Vertigo
2. Alien
3. Aliens
4. The Terminator
5. Collateral

I got one more left for Pick 3, so I should be done very soon and be good for the next Pick 3.

Flow, please add me on the next Pick 3.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Top, uh, 4 of March. Yeah, I didn't watch movies much last month.

1. The Breadwinner
2. For Your Eyes Only
3. Moon
4. Donnie Darko

Anyway, happy Easter everyone!

Monty Python's Life of Brian: The movie sucks! They mention the name of God several times, it's blasphemy! The jokes are dull, none of the characters are interesting, they're clearly reusing actors from The Holy Grail, and I don't get what anyone sees in Bright Side of Life.

April Fools!

This movie isn't as good as Holy Grail, but it's still worth a watch. I was expecting Brian's life to be a mundane parallel of Jesus, but the whole Messiah plotline doesn't happen until after halfway through the movie. In fact, you only really see Jesus at the beginning when he's delivering The Sermon on the Mount. It does feature some of the most famous comedy scenes (notably Biggus Dickus). Bright Side of Life is a memorable, cheery song and it's a shame I can't whistle.

That was an incredibly cruel April Fools joke. I was sad for a moment there.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
This was a bad month for me, didn't watch that many good movies.

Top 3 new watches:
- Annihilation
- Molly's Game
- An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power

Worst 3 new watches:
- Downsizing
- Bokeh
- Novitiate

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
Top 5 New:

1. Through a Glass Darkly
2. Thoroughbreds
3. Dogtooth
4. Hour of the Wolf
5. 24 Hour Party People

Top 5 Rewatch:

1. Vertigo
2. Persona
3. The Killing
4. There Will Be Blood
5. No Country for Old Men

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I am happy to announce that I can finally start watching films again. First 3 months have been very limited due to real life events so yay. Anybody else from FL going to the FL film festival?

Also Akira Kurosawa got to be the worst director from 1940-1980. 7 samurai was 3 hours of bs. Last samurai is the superior samurai epic

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
The Girl With All The Gifts

Solid zombieflick with an interesting twist. Enjoyable while it lasts, but nothing memorable to really seperate it from the rest.

Der Hauptman

Pretty harrowing German war-movie, about a soldier finding an officier uniform and taking on his identity at the end of the second world war. Surreal, absurd and terrifying, it shows how authority can make good people do terrible things, and that the layer society we all have is razor thin.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might as well post this here.

I just watched IT 2017 and what an absolutely disappointing watch. I am having a genuinely hard time getting over how much they butchered Mike Hanlon. They omitted large parts of his rich backstory and handed the rest over to some white kid, essentially reducing him to a token black character. I haven't followed much surrounding the 2017 release, but if I knew how poorly they treated Hanlon I would have avoided the movie. I can't believe I paid for this shit.
Now go back and watch the original and be surprised how much was missing from the original.

I love IT 2017, can't wait until part 2 next year and Castle Rock later this year

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched Blade Runner 2049 and it made me appreciate it even more. In particular, I liked Wallace a lot more as an antagonist; what makes him so effective is that his presence and impact is felt far beyond the scenes he's actually in

I Am a Hero
★★★★
The pantheon of decent to excellent zombie movies in the 2010s is kind of thin, but I'd count I Am A Hero among them as a pretty great one. The humor didn't always land with me and the middle of the movie felt both rushed and kind of dull, but the zombies and effects were unique and inventive, Hideo was a fun protagonist, and in particular, its opening chaos and the final act were two awesome very memorable sequences of zombie movie action. I might actually rank the opening up there with the Dawn of the Dead remake and World War Z as one of best depictions of early outbreak mayhem.

For a Few Dollars More (rewatch)
★★★★★
In my memory, The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly has been "The Western" since I first saw it. And no doubt it's a classic for myriad reasons: the great characters, the juxtaposition and themes revolving with the Civil War, the many great scenes and dialogue, the score and cinematography, etc.

But upon watching For A Few Dollars More again, I came to appreciate it a lot more. For one, Van Cleef imbuing the same snake-eyed intensity that made Angel Eyes a memorable villain into his role as protagonist and rival bounty hunter in Dollars. He's just as compelling and entertaining as Eastwood's Manco, if not more so due to his personal story in this movie.

It's a leaner movie too. Good, Bad, Ugly is this sprawling epic, while Dollars focuses its tale on a quest for revenge and the relationship between its protagonists. Tuco and Blondie's relationship is great and hilarious, but the plotline of Mortimer and Manco crossing paths, staking each other out, and finally teaming up is just as thrilling.

All in all, with its tighter pacing, more intimate narrative, Van Cleef as a protagonist just as great as The Man With No Name, For A Few Dollars More can stand alongside Good, Bad, Ugly and other classic Westerns.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that Downsizing is out on video and people will finally see it and start talking about how ridiculous it is.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
That is too bad, I have this on my watchlist because I heard it was an interesting watch. Care to expand? (or did you already talk about this and did I miss it?)
The movie really explores an interesting theme, I just thought it was too predictable and even exaggerated sometimes. The acting was very hit or miss, which threw me off a little bit. In the end I was a little bit confused as to what the movie was trying to portray, the changes in the Catholic Church in the 60's seen through the eyes of the women in a convent or the struggles of life in a convent and devoting yourself to god. Or maybe it was both and I missed the point..

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
A wonderful movie. If you were interested in the character of Cassard, check out Lola. Les Demoiselles de Rochefort is a similar movie-musical, but not nearly as coherent or good.
Filmstruck has a bunch so I was planning on going backwards, Bay of Angels then Lola, followed by Rochefort and probably Donkey Skin (since I've heard it's nuts). Might track down a dvd of Model Shop too since I remember seeing excerpts in Los Angeles Plays Itself.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Now go back and watch the original and be surprised how much was missing from the original.

I've already watched it and while it wasn't my cup of tea, at the very least they treated the characters with an ounce of dignity. They could essentially have left out Mike in the 2017 version, it would have been a better choice than turning him into a fucking token black character. What a disgrace.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I am happy to announce that I can finally start watching films again. First 3 months have been very limited due to real life events so yay. Anybody else from FL going to the FL film festival?

Also Akira Kurosawa got to be the worst director from 1940-1980. 7 samurai was 3 hours of bs. Last samurai is the superior samurai epic

Finally, some truth bombs in here. The dude was always a hack whose films piggybacked off the coattails of superior American ones. I mean, Seven Samurai? More like The Magnificent Seven. Hell, just the other day I saw this flick he made called Yojimbo and I'm fairly certain it's just a ripoff of an old Eastwood movie. I assume that Kurosawa was intimidated by our American bravado and way of filmmaking.

As for the rest of his work? Hard Pass.

Last edited:

Weasel

Oct 25, 2017
My top 5 new viewings of March:
  1. Apocalypse Now (Why didn't I get to this one sooner?)
  2. Call Me By Your Name
  3. Coco
  4. The Thin Red Line
  5. The Wrestler

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Ready Player One: It's a testatment to Spielberg's talent that he can still manage to elevate some of setpieces in this movie above it's dumbass premise, and knows how to use the camera far better than whatever nameless hack should have made this, but even he can't stop this movie from being largely embarrassing. I wish I could say this was an April Fools review, but unfortunately the movie is rather bad.

Officially calling out whoever said this was better than Tintin in the last thread. Check yourself.

lol wut you mean. Filmera is still live and popping.

He's talking about the Bodysnatched "movies you've seen recently" thread, not the site

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Molly's Game

I was surprised how much I liked it. Enjoyed it.

Oct 28, 2017
Top 5 New Viewings for March
1. The Florida Project
2. North by Northwest
3. Judgment at Nuremberg
4. Prisoners
5. I, Tonya

Trash Fire - Honestly, I was bored by this, and was completely checked out as the credits rolled. Name describes the movie. 3/10

Unducks

Nov 4, 2017
I watched Chungking Express last night and I have to admit that, aside from Andy Lau talking to objects in his apartment, the movie just didn't hit for me. I liked In the Mood for Love but didn't love it, so maybe Wong Kar Wai just isn't for me, or maybe there's something I'm not seeing.

Loving Filmstruck, though. I did a trial not intending at all to continue past the free period, but my watch list just keeps growing.

This is a great reminder to watch Lola. His song in Cherbourg was by far my favorite (and one that I keep coming back to) and I've been meaning to wander backward on that filmography.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Ready Player One: It's a testatment to Spielberg's talent that he can still manage to elevate some of setpieces in this movie above it's dumbass premise, and knows how to use the camera far better than whatever nameless hack should have made this, but even he can't stop this movie from being largely embarrassing. I wish I could say this was an April Fools review, but unfortunately the movie is rather bad.

Officially calling out whoever said this was better than Tintin in the last thread. Check yourself.

He's talking about the Bodysnatched "movies you've seen recently" thread, not the site

I liked RPO more than Tintin, though enjoyed both.

The chase scene in RPO is better than the one in Tintin.

Paddington is delightful.

The second one is even better :)

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I liked RPO more than Tintin, though enjoyed both.

The chase scene in RPO is better than the one in Tintin.

The chase is the best part of Read Player One, but it's definitely not better than the one in Tintin which manages to be more clever and clear with its constant reframing as it follows each one of the many different characters involved and allows for action and comedic beats specific to their character in the midst of the spectacle.

The RPO Chase is viscerally executed and is fun for sure but it's also a lot messier and in the end what does it really convey beyond teaching you about coins being sucked up? Like many things in the movie it felt like a showcase for the references first and foremost.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA

ah my bad.

Filmstruck has a bunch so I was planning on going backwards, Bay of Angels then Lola, followed by Rochefort and probably Donkey Skin (since I've heard it's nuts). Might track down a dvd of Model Shop too since I remember seeing excerpts in Los Angeles Plays Itself.
Young girls of rochefort>umbrellas>lola>bay of angels>.

lola is his best non musical though.