• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
GgRP8sG.gif

Source: Incredibles 2 (teaser)

Welcome
Hello and welcome to the monthly Movies You've Seen Recently thread. The place to hang out and talk movies with fellow movie lovers!

Pick 3, get 3
Signups are open through June 9th! Sign up and get randomly matched with another poster and pick 3 films that person has never watched, as they pick 3 films for you. Good opportunity to discover films you otherwise might not have. Just respond in the thread and tag Divius you want to join in.

ps We need a better name for this concept, don't be shy if you have an idea.

15 films to see in June
Wondering what new movies are worth seeing this month? Flow has got you covered in his 15 Films to See in June thread.

Thread rules
1. Be nice, be civil, use common sense
2. Respect the opinions of other members, no matter how wrong they are
3. Use spoiler tags accordingly
4. Have fun, we're all here because we love movies

DO NOT just post the title of the movie you watched. It isn't conducive to the kind of discussion & communication we want to engender here, because it tells us nothing of you, the movie, the impact of the latter on the former. Post scores, descriptions, essays, poems, gifs, hashtags, whatever provides you the best outlet for personal expression, you unique little digital snowflake. - icarus-daedelus

Want to introduce yourself?
New to the Movie's you've seen recently community? Let us know a bit about yourself:

1. What's your favorite Movie?
2. Who's your favorite director?
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
5. What's your favorite performance in film?

- Post your top 5 new viewings from the previous month!

Useful external links:

Letterboxd
ICheckMovies
IMDb
Rotten Tomatoes
Metacritic

List of Movies you've seen recently members on letterboxd said:

If you want to be added to the list above, shoot me a PM and you'll be added.

Unsure of what to watch? Just ask for recommendations in here. We don't bite!

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Top New Watches
1. A Quiet Place
2. Deadpool 2
3. Solo: A Star Wars Story
4. Tully

Top Rewatches
1. Black Panther
2. Deadpool
3. Ant-Man

Watched Deadpool 1 three times, and Deadpool 2 two times in May.

Have you seen Hostiles? Highly recommended!

Sweet Country is the best recent Western film, check it out when you get the chance.
Haven't seen any of these, but may look into them, thanks.

Last edited:

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I watched Meet Joe Black recently.

I really liked it. It was a bit glacial at points and Brad Pitt's patois accent made me cringe a great deal, but it was very enjoyable.

Plus, Emmanuel Lubezki's cinematography is never a bad thing.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reposting my previous review in hopes of getting of an answer to the question I asked in it

Disobedience
Since it was from the director of A Fantastic Woman, I had to see this. It did not disappoint. I had three takeaways:

1. Is there a cultural/traditional reason why Rachel's character had to wear a wig out in public?

2. I actually like that the pivotal love scene wasn't too gratuitous. No real nudity (since that was taken care of earlier in the movie) and the love felt passionate. The saliva part was easily the best part of the entire scene

3. Maybe it's not really a problem in other independent theaters, but holy fuck can you get better sound-proof walls or something to block loud sounds from outside the theater room? I don't want to hear another movie from a different room while I'm trying to watch something. There was a quiet scene with the two leads and I could hear the trailer for Mamma Mia 2 being played in the theater room next to us. FUCKING MAMMA MIA 2! I DON'T WANNA HEAR THAT SHIT! Can you imagine if I heard that piece of shit during the love making scene. I would have been fucking pissed. And goddamn, can middle-aged/old couples please shut the fuck up!? Fucks sake, you don't mention every little detail from time to time. Just keep your fucking mouths shut and discuss whatever the fuck you want to talk about after the goddamn movie!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Top New Watches of May
1) Stand By Me
2) The Fugitive
3) Revenge
4) You Were Never Really Here
5) Rocky

Top Rewatches of May
1) The Matrix
2) Pitch Black
3) Predators
4) Hellboy 2

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi Flow

Just signing up for the 3 movies thingy. Are there any rules regarding the movies picked apart from being movies the other poster never saw?

I also suggest the name 3 by 3, shamelessly stolen from a movie podcast, in case someone thinks it's actually better lol

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Best new viewings:
1. First Reformed
2. Ride the High Country
3. Chimes at Midnight
4. Rocky
5. The Death of Stalin

Best rewatch:
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
23 new watches last month.

Top five:

1) Lean on Pete
2) The Tale
3) Certified Copy
4) Kill List
5) The Neon Demon

I plan on watching an absurd amount of movies this month!

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Another slow month for me, top 3 new watches:

1 - A Quiet Place
2 - Game Night
3 - Solo: A Star Wars Story

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Darn, missed a chance for tickets to Hereditary for two sold out screenings but that's good news that people are hyped about it. Just gotta wait for a couple of weeks. Gonna see First Reformed tomorrow, nice to see a comeback for Paul Schrader.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Darn, missed a chance for tickets to Hereditary for two sold out screenings but that's good news that people are hyped about it. Just gotta wait for a couple of weeks. Gonna see First Reformed tomorrow, nice to see a comeback for Paul Schrader.
yea Fancy also missed out on the advance showing. but is not a long wait for A24 to bless us with greatness.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Top New Watches
1. Avengers Infinity War
2. Deadpool 2
3. Solo: A Star Wars Story
4. The Red Turtle

Top Rewatches
1. Face Off - It's so borderline dumb, I forgot how dumb it is. And I loved every minute of it.
2. Thor Ragnarok - as I was making my way through MCU I had to give this one another look. Loved it then, love it now.
3. Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle - Help I've seen this movie four times now and still want to see it again.
4. The Incredibles - Getting ready for the sequel to one of my favs.
5. Eye in the Sky - I still like the movie but I seemed to like it less upon a rewatch.

Side note: Saw a good chunk of Incredibles 2, just parts at a screening of it celebrating animation etc... it's gonna be good, guys. Like, really, really good. Seeing the full thing next week.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
Thoroughbreds: 7/10. Pretty funny but mostly just fun. Anya baby I don't care that you have a weird lizard face I will love you always just take my calls. Added this as #10 on my secret best of 2017 list that no one has seen. It bumped off 2049 which continues to piss me off the more I think about it.
Howards End: 8/10. How many people were in love with Emma Thompson in the early 90s.
A Quiet Place: 5/10. Seriously with the white board though? A pretty mediocre genre exercise.
Diary of a Mad Housewife: 7/10. A very good and I think underseen dark comedy. Carrie Snodgress was fantastic, not really sure why she never made it big (other than that name).

Oct 27, 2017
Top 5 for May:

1. Tampopo
2. Post Tenebras Lux
3. First Reformed
4. Castle in the Sky
5. You Were Never Really Here

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
Top 5 new
You Were Never Really Here
The Tale
Silent Running
Revenge
Death of Stalin

Top rewatches
Murder on the Orient Express
Coco
Logan

Oct 26, 2017
Just got back from Solo. There are some obvious bits along the way but damn if that wasn't fun. I guffawed--might be the only time I would ever use this term for the laugh that came out of me--at one particular point. Lots of fist pumping at the iconic stuff I was hoping to see.

I know the SW fan base goes crazy with their "no one asked for this" but honestly I was happy to have it.

4/5 will get on 4K

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from Solo. There are some obvious bits along the way but damn if that wasn't fun. I guffawed--might be the only time I would ever use this term for the laugh that came out of me--at one particular point. Lots of fist pumping at the iconic stuff I was hoping to see.

I know the SW fan base goes crazy with their "no one asked for this" but honestly I was happy to have it.

4/5 will get on 4K
The film would benefit massively from losing the bits like the origin of Hans's surname, because everything else is pretty much on point.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liquid Sky
I'm shocked. It took no longer than five minutes into the movie for me to completely lose interest in seeing this. I think that might be a record. It didn't take me long to fall asleep. Even the latter part of the movie where the main character keeps fucking people which ends up killing them wasn't enough to keep me engaged. Sorry lady, but your "killer cunt" did not leave me satisfied. Guess I'll live to see another day :p

And the ending was pretty dumb too. Complete waste of my time

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Saw six movies in May which is probably one of my worst months in years. Hoping to turn things around by finally watching some of the Bill Morrison on filmstruck before it expires.

1) Seven Samurai
2) The Vanishing
3) The 40 Year Old Virgin
(big gap in quality)
4) A Quiet Place
5) Twilight
6) Always Shine

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I watched Wonderstruck last night. References to Lillian Gish, The Jazz Singer, Silent films, German Expressionism, and the metacommentary of the diorama at the end to the filmmaking process were just awesome touches. The story was a bit trite, but it was very well done. Overall, if you are a film fan, you should check it out.

WastemanLoso

Apr 16, 2018
D.C
It's June & Ready Player One is still the blockbuster of the year, by far. Film deserved way more at the Box office.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Bummed about Under the Silver Lake getting pushed to December.

With the caveat that new watches were slim last month - Top 5 of May:
1. The Virgin Spring
2. The Death of Stalin
3. The Director and the Jedi
4. Solo: A Star Wars Story
5. Deadpool 2

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I rewatched Predators for the first time since 2010. I have to say I enjoyed it a lot more than I remember the first time, probably because we didn't get anything decent Predator related since then and the upcoming movie looks like total garbage. Two things I didn't like in Predators - no original Predator roar and overused OST from the original movie.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost in the Shell: This film was a lot more talky than I imagined it to be. It reminded me a lot of Sans Soleil with it's discussions of memory, identity, shots of a modern cityscape, synthesized sounds and images but that may be simply because Sans Soleil is still fresh in my mind. I love that 5 minute scene where the film takes a break to just examine the city and its inhabitants, where Mokoto traveling down the river looks up to the rows of office buildings and finds herself looking back. The city reminded me a lot of my visit to Hong Kong, and it was interesting to find out that it actually served as the inspiration instead of Tokyo here (there's just something about Hong Kong). More than it's exploration of mind/body dualism and transhumanism - which is well done, the film's lasting memory for me will be it's incredible mood, owed to its music and visuals. The visuals are actually quite graphic in some scenes, more than I was expecting. The human body and flesh is treated in a disposable manner, fitting I suppose for this hyper-cybernetic world. Yet the opening credits scene where we see Mokoto being assembled in her new machine vessel and when she goes diving, are depicted with a sense of sanctity. It's also interesting to see how much of an influence this film has had on other media. Deus Ex, The Matrix and even something as recent as Altered Carbon (which feels like an extremely basic and uninteresting rip off this). On to SAC! Though I hear it lacks the deep melancholic mood of the film.

Weasel

Oct 25, 2017
My top 5 new viewings from May:
  1. The Aviator
  2. The Fighter
  3. Good Night, and Good Luck
  4. The Fugitive
  5. Broken Flowers

Top 5 repeat viewings of May:
1. Atonement (2007)
2. Pride & Prejudice (2005)
3. Paddington 2 (2017)
4. Juno (2007)
5. Hanna (2011)

Top 5 new viewings of May:
1. Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939)
2. BPM (Beats Per Minute) (2017)
3. The Fortune Cookie (1966)
4. The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996)
5. Norma Rae (1979)

Isle of Dogs (2018): Charming upper-mid-tier Wes Anderson. I like this more than his previous animated film, as the central relationships feel better-developed, and I always felt there was a bit of a tonal clash between Anderson's approach to Fantastic Mr. Fox and Roald Dahl's underlying source material, whereas here he's just doing his own thing. There's a whole debate going on about the movie's use of Japanese culture. For my two cents, I don't think there's anything terribly egregious here, but the use of language in the movie (i.e., that the dogs speak English while all the Japanese characters speak unsubtitled Japanese, except occasionally they are, and then there are some other translation gimmicks and a single Western character who does speak English) feels a bit like Anderson started with a defensible gimmick (dramatizing the linguistic gulf between animals and humans) and then kept having to write around it for narrative coherence in ways that undermined the viability of it, to the point where he might have been better off just using subtitles.

Cripplegate

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I have finally attempted to "get with it" and made a letterboxd account:
https://letterboxd.com/cripplegate/

Divius add me to the master list, s'il vous plaît

Top 5 for May

1. Deadpool 2 (2018)
2. The Red Wolf (1995)
3. Scarlet Droppings (1991)
4. A Passage to Wetness (1990)
5. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Bottom 5 for May
1. Mom and Dad (2017)
2. Justice League (2017)
3. Protégé (2007)
4. Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
5. The Enigmatic Case (1980)

First viewing for June:

Black Kite (2017) (6.5/10) - An interesting and enjoyable if not altogether forceful or impactful movie experience. The framing device helps establish a broader historical context but is also a bit of a crutch, and the secondary character in these scenes doesn't really work for me. His characterization is loose enough that he can basically turn on a dime, and suddenly be willing to throw down his own life to save the protagonist, which all just seems unnecessarily heavy-handed to push a dramatic narrative of martyrdom. Other dramatic beats throughout the story similarly fail to hit as hard as they should, particularly when a young Arian tries to confess that he has lied about his grades to his father, as they are too heavily telegraphed and obvious in setup. The confession scene does work for me conceptually, however, in the way it shows the dramatic and sudden arrival of violence, turning Kabul upside down in an instant; though it also suffers in execution, as the varying quality of source footage is jarring and also leads to some awkward staging and cutting.

Now, on to the praise. It is an admirable film in the way it stages such a clear, focused, and simple act of rebellion, highlighting the absurdity of fundamentalism by juxtaposing it with the innocence and naivety of a young girl. Neither the girl nor the Taliban are rational agents in this narrative, but there's a huge gulf between the way they approach the world. The girl does not understand the danger and scope of her desires, pushing her family headfirst into trouble, but the Taliban are killing people for flying kites. She approaches the world with curiosity and wonder, and they attempt to pervert it until it is no longer recognizable. Hmm, I wonder which is on the right side of history? (As Carl famously said to Meatwad: It's definitely one or the other.)

The film is also admirable in its resourcefulness. It was filmed in Afghanistan amidst turmoil after the election of Ashraf Ghani (one of the actresses was even injured in a terrorist attack during the shoot), with a skeleton crew and nonprofessional actors. After returning to Canada, and lacking all the footage he had hoped to capture, director Tarique Qayum used stock footage serendipitously discovered from a film archive hidden from the Taliban and animation sequences created by an animator he met in Vancouver to complete the film. The result is an independent film that moves through the recent history of modern Afghanistan with astonishing found footage flashbacks, animated sequences of magic realism, and clear-eyed scenes of domestic family drama shot on location in Kabul. It's a film that explores the dynamism and opportunity of the film medium to share its story by any means necessary, and it's a story worth hearing (seeing?), a rarely seen perspective in our corner of cinema from a wildly misunderstood part of the world.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going with the Flow.

Solo was the most fun I had seeing a Star Wars movie since the '97 rerelease.

First Reformed feels like the most important film of 2018. Paul Schrader's operating at the peak of his abilities.

Bummed about Under the Silver Lake getting pushed to December.

Damn, I can't wait for this.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Apocalypse Now: Nobody uses dissolves anymore. If more filmmakers revisited Apocalypse Now more often, we'd have dissolves out the ass. Coppola and editor Walter Murch achieve a perfect layering of imagery here, compounding the effects of montage in ways Eisenstein could only dream of. It relates not just the passage of time and place in the journey up the river, but eventually a complete dissolution of either concept. And it doesn't stop there either. A dissolution of sanity. A dissolution of the soul. It's all there in the chemical process of superimposing images to create, or destroy, contexts. That's what the film is all about really, Willard creating a context for himself and the madness around him, and then destroying it.

It's no mistake the film ends with a dissolve, placing Willard, the burning jungle, and the ancient stone idol all in the same frame atop one another; they cease being separate concepts and conjoin to create a new entity. You can leave the jungle but the jungle can't leave you (maaan).

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Top 5 of May:

1. The Best Years Of Our Lives
2. Tootsie
3. Deadpool 2
4. Solo: A Star Wars Story
5. Octopussy

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Solo

Went to see this for a disabled friend's birthday party, and enjoyed it more than I had expected. I wasn't going to bother with it, but it was better than anticipated.

The movie started off poorly and was very cheesy at the start, but as I got used to it and it went along it got better. The twists weren't very grand or unique and some of the acting wasn't great, either, but it was decent. I did go in with low expectations so that helped.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ghost in the Shell: This film was a lot more talky than I imagined it to be. It reminded me a lot of Sans Soleil with it's discussions of memory, identity, shots of a modern cityscape, synthesized sounds and images but that may be simply because Sans Soleil is still fresh in my mind. I love that 5 minute scene where the film takes a break to just examine the city and its inhabitants, where Mokoto traveling down the river looks up to the rows of office buildings and finds herself looking back. The city reminded me a lot of my visit to Hong Kong, and it was interesting to find out that it actually served as the inspiration instead of Tokyo here (there's just something about Hong Kong). More than it's exploration of mind/body dualism and transhumanism - which is well done, the film's lasting memory for me will be it's incredible mood, owed to its music and visuals. The visuals are actually quite graphic in some scenes, more than I was expecting. The human body and flesh is treated in a disposable manner, fitting I suppose for this hyper-cybernetic world. Yet the opening credits scene where we see Mokoto being assembled in her new machine vessel and when she goes diving, are depicted with a sense of sanctity. It's also interesting to see how much of an influence this film has had on other media. Deus Ex, The Matrix and even something as recent as Altered Carbon (which feels like an extremely basic and uninteresting rip off this). On to SAC! Though I hear it lacks the deep melancholic mood of the film.
I will occasionally watch the Ghost City and Nightstalker scenes. I have to imagine there is some Michael Mann influence, especially for the Nightstalker scene which reminds of his moody LA.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I will occasionally watch the Ghost City and Nightstalker scenes. I have to imagine there is some Michael Mann influence, especially for the Nightstalker scene which reminds of his moody LA.

Oh yeah absolutely. That first scene reminded me of Heat a lot, especially the music. Both films were released in the same year though right? The second scene though (maybe the best scene in the film) felt a lot like Sans Soleil.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific Rim: Rugrats

Del Toro is sorely missed. It's not terrible, but it is forgettable. It feels like one of those sequels made for the sake of having a sequel, not because anyone had any great ideas. As everyone noted from the trailers, the weight and size of the Jaegers and Kaiju are gone, and the action goes full anime. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and some of the antics are pretty entertaining, but it would be better served in a different giant mecha movie that isn't a sequel to Pacific Rim. The first film was fantastical, of course, but it felt like fantastic things like giant robots and monsters in a real world, as opposed to a wholly cartoon world. It feels jarring that the style set up for the first is out the window in this one.

The plot, and characters? Where? Writing and acting was hardly Pacific Rim's strongest suit, but it was all pretty intentionally cheesy and earnest, like an old mecha show. This one feels unintentionally so. There's far too many characters and subplots, in a film much shorter than the first. Most of them were lucky to get more than two lines each, I think. The original had a fair few, but kept the focus on Mako, Raleigh and Pentecost, and the two scientists. This one has a whole pile of young recruits, only one of whom has a bare minimum of character, the Chinese corporation suits, Boyega and his fellow soldiers like Clint Eastwood's son (who inherited his looks and none of his charisma whatsoever) and Sexy Latina in a Black Tanktop, who I don't believe had a single conversation with any character in the entire runtime; I'm still not even certain she was actually in the film, I may have mistaken an extra for a character. It's like you got small snippets of various storylines that are happening in some other movies. It means you don't care about any of the new characters, and the very few that return are wasted (Mako is barely in it, making her strong leading role in the first film pointless in this one, and Charlie Day is not exactly the right person to play the role he played in this entry).

For all its flaws, I vividly remember key moments of Pacific Rim, having not seen it since the cinema. I'll never forget that big showdown in the city harbour, or the Kaiju being cleaved in two by a giant robot sword, or the Mako flashback (incidentally given a rote, perfunctory copy in the sequel). Uprising, I don't think I'll remember by tomorrow morning.

Oh and don't think I didn't notice those bits you cribbed from Evangelion, filmmakers.

Last edited:

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Watched Dark Crimes last night. Thought it was pretty good overall. I like moody dark crime movies, and this fits that bill. Not the best movie ever made, but definitely worth watching I would say.

I saw it had low scores but decided I was going to watch it regardless as I was really intrigued by the trailer and I also have always felt Carey is underrated for his dramatic roles. But after watching it I was actually dumbfounded once I saw the low scores it had on both RT and iTunes. Then I read some of the comments. Apparently the film was getting scored 1's across the board on iTunes since Jim Carey is considered an enemy of the right. It absolutely made sense once I figured out that was going on, but damn I did not realize people were so petty. It is not surprising, just I guess I never paid attention the other times it has happened. Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent, especially a political one, but I just thought it was so incredibly weak that the reason I could see it scored low had nothing whatsoever to do with the movie itself.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. As I said it is not the best movie every made, but I was entertained, thought the story was interesting enough, and I enjoyed the cinematography and just overall mood it conveyed. It is a darker movie, no doubt about it.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I only watched one new film last month, I thought I did better to.

I'm super bummed about Under the Silver Lake being delayed, but even more bummed that it is because of the reception it got. I hope that Mitchell is able to salvage the project, if not I guess I'll see it as a Netflix original someday.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I just watched The Change-Up and it was a rewatch. Something I hadn't seen for years that was on TV today.

I like Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds a lot, and enjoyed the movie, but it's far from the best movie ever made. Some of the choices the characters make are absurd, but the plot is very unrealistic as well. It's got some funny moments and performances, and is entertaining, especially at midnight.