Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Intrigued. Guess we may have another John and Jane and get to breakdown their relationship and issues.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see this actually working out if this is true.

I do at least expect Glover and Erskine to make a cameo appearance.

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
I don't know...the chemistry between the leads is the whole appeal. So you're rolling the dice when you try to do this as an anthology. We'll see. Just a wee bit disappointing.

Glover and Erskine are both incredibly busy. I get it. It's not a cheap or easy show to film. Lots of locale jumping, they both have families. It's probably just not worth it for both of them long term.

Oct 29, 2017
Now you are almost forced to keep replacing them every new season if you do it once.

But casting a new set of Smiths every season is such a bold decision it verges on mismanagement.

The chemistry on the first season is perfect, so achieving that again and then throwing that away to start anew is an uphill battle.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Can certainly tell like half the replies in here haven't actually watched the show or grasp the concept of the organization that hires the Smiths, lol

Dec 31, 2017
This was a great show, but these 2 kind of made it. Interested to see how they go forward with different Smiths.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If they're alive I can still see Donald and Maya cameo-ing at the end of something.
But I imagine they're very busy for a tv show rn

OP
OP
DinkyDev

DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
Had the thread title tweaked as currently there is no confirmation they are returning, rather than they are definitely not returning.

Quadrophenic

Oct 28, 2017
The concept for the show absolutely could work with a different couple and explore different dynamics/challenges within relationships.

As long as the chemistry between the leads is right, I don't have a problem with this at all.

thillygooth

AVALANCHE
Jan 5, 2023
Sigh.

I"ll watch it but I'm not super jazzed about this direction. Unless it takes place in a new city, with different Smiths and it doesn't flat out confirm their deaths. I'd be fine with that, because then I can imagine them moving on to have kids and live happily ever after, with the potential for cameo appearances from them in later seasons.

EDIT: Okay, the original thread title was super misleading lol.

Mr Bungle

Dec 11, 2017
Feels like a super high-risk situation if this is true. They could easily go low-risk and milk the combination for a few more seasons.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I don't see why this wouldn't work with two new "Smiths" so long as they have chemistry.

Hopefully I will walk onto the active set of Mr and Mrs Smith season 2 accidentally just like I did season 1! 😂 (And unknowingly photograph the stars, too!)

www.resetera.com

Mr. & Mrs. Smith Season 1 | Official Trailer | Prime Video | Feb 2 | Donald Glover, Maya Erskine Entertainment - Video/Streaming

I happened to be staying in Manhattan in the meat packing district the day one of the final scenes for this was being shot. My wife and I were staying at The Standard and we walked out of the hotel and started walking down the block. Everyone was standing still and then everyone started walking...

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
LOVED that first season. Does not compute that Glover and Erskine wouldn't return given how they ended it. But maybe they are in it in the first ep of the season, wrap up their storyline, and introduce some sort of new element, new couple with some new dynamics and that's the concept of the show now. Each season is a couple being spies while dealing with relationship stuff. It's such a great launchpad for stories. But it even now, feels like it could get long in the tooth now that the novelty is kinda over. It would all depend on whether any given couple is interesting.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Their chemistry carried the show. Don't know if they can replicate that with a new pairing. We'll see I guess.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a super high-risk situation if this is true. They could easily go low-risk and milk the combination for a few more seasons.

nGMrD.gif

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Mixed feelings

Like yeah their stories are wrapped up but the alot of the strength of the season was the chemistry between glover and erskine

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
If they're going in this direction, then I at least hope Jane survived and will appear at some point in the second season to further a "who is the company and how do we take them down" plot..

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well that was a rollercoaster of emotions.

I just don't see the appeal of retreading the same story beat with this premise. Especially when we already got a glimpse of another dynamic in the first season.

Not sure if I stick around for season 2, Glover and Erskine were near perfect for this.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you renew it but not get the actors first??

This:

Hollywood Reporter says Amazon had to quickly make a decision on whether they'd do another season to determine which category they'd submit S1 under at the Emmys. Probably haven't nailed the contracts down yet with Donald and Maya. Childish Gambino tour is starting in August and going until February 2025, so Donald will be busy for a bit

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
That's so strange unless the limited series category is stacked this year and they didn't think they would win.
They're not the only ones.

variety.com

Will FX Move ‘Shogun’ to Drama Series, Upending Several Major Emmy Races?

Is FX's "Shogun" moving to the Emmys drama series categories, from the limited or anthology races?

This year, the limited series category has become fiercely competitive, sparking widespread anxiety among network strategists about optimal show placement. The Emmy nominations announced in July will likely narrow the field to only five, unlike drama and comedy series, which will have eight nominees each. "Shōgun's" new direction could significantly shake up drama and limited categories, with vacating spots for individual acting and technical achievements.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
In the end, nothing will be in the limited series category and like the Daily Wire will win an Emmy for their shitty Bluey ripoff

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
They kind of wrote them into a corner by the end of the first season so I'm not too surprised about new leads. Glover's busy and Erskine is pregnant again so it would be a while before we'd get another season with them anyway if they were to come back.

Phoebe Waller Bridge has the opportunity to do the funniest thing.
She already has a deal with them and without Donald around there shouldn't be any creative issues now.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It should have been a one and done since the first season told a complete story but the premise is already setup for a semi-anthology series with another couple exploring other types of relationships.

Finding a new leads to match Donald Glover and Maya Erskine will be tough but I think it's better than following those two as they're on the run from the company. Unravelling what the company actually is would be a mistake so that doesn't leave much room beyond having them get eliminated like Smith couple in the first scene anyway..

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Tough sell without Donald and Maya. Pretty big gamble but I guess something is better than nothing.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
They kind of wrote them into a corner by the end of the first season so I'm not too surprised about new leads. Glover's busy and Erskine is pregnant again so it would be a while before we'd get another season with them anyway if they were to come back.

She already has a deal with them and without Donald around there shouldn't be any creative issues now.
She's doing Tomb Raider next

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Could be interesting if they cycle around 2-3 different couples each season, with Donald and Maya returning in season 3-4? And they could appear in each other's seasons as cameos.

This is what I'm thinking
after killing the Smith assasins from season 1 they are now employed as Smith hunters and season 2 will end with them killing (or teaming up with) the new couple

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep mentioning Bond? He's the same character played by different actors.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I always appreciate it when a series goes the anthology route because it's risky but can pay off massively. However, I'm going to be honest, the only reason why I watched the show was because of Glover.