Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can a Xenoblade thread exist without the stupid titty rabbit being posted at some point?
it's kind of a tragedy (or ironic a la Palaptine?) that the titty rabbit is being posted as exhibit A for xenoblade 2 problematicity when it exists because they gave free reign to a female artist

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
i mean part of is that they had different artists design every rare blade so some of them are very gatcha-y and some of them less so

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Xenoblade 1 definitely had fanservice but it didn't dominate the game in the way 2's does. Like between a shonen anime with fanservice here or there or maybe with certain characters vs a harem, ecchi anime - Xenoblade 2 leans much closer to the former side of the spectrum than 1 does. I don't think it should be controversial to say 2 aims towards the waifu crowd more when the game literally adopts the waifu collection model of gacha games.

Like it's fine if it doesn't bother you but it just seems willfully ignorant to pretend like there isn't a clear difference in how the games handle fanservice anime tropes. I'm tired of people gaslighting this retroactive take on Xenoblade 1 to make it seem like absolutely nothing changed in tone between the games. I can understand XC2 fans being annoyed that people can't just look past the designs and talk about the story or characters but that's really the dev's fault for making such a prominently detrimental element to their game if they wanted people to look past it, right?
one may be less but i wouldn't say two started the whole male gaze thing i mean, not after x and they way they introduce goetia

and so many of the xeno's outfits are as bad as the blades in two outside of dahlia, so one may have not been as bad but x is very much similar and as or almost as bad

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually wonder how many people who have posted that blade as evidence realize this.
to be clear I'm not using that to imply it's an ok design because a woman made it as it's still possible for a woman to be sexist and all (the entire fucking Rance series is entirely made by women), I'm just wondering over the sheer oddity of the situation
The devs told her "design whatever you want as a character" and she deliberately came up with that and they just okeyed it
Wait a female artist made that? 😂
yes, the same artist that made the little girl with the polar bear/rabbit

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
to be clear I'm not using that to imply it's an ok design because a woman made it as it's still possible for a woman to be sexist and all (the entire fucking Rance series is entirely made by women), I'm just wondering over the sheer oddity of the situation
The devs told her "design whatever you want as a character" and she deliberately came up with that and they just okeyed it
I know you are not. It is just when designs like that come up, lots of people assume it was from a man. I am not okay with Dahlia's design either to be honest.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If that's what the artist likes then that's what she likes. Idc. It's just a little too much for Xenoblade.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I hated most of XC2 designs anyway, even the non-sexist ones, but I'm still happy to see these two characters in Smash.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
The ride hasn't ended for almost 4 years
38a.jpg

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the "bottoms of feet" comment it was a detail that Goodsmile put a lot of focus on. I remember people joking about it when the figure was announced.

D3T9T6R.png

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'd imagine Xenoblade 3 will be done more in house and Takahashi won't let everyone be so free with their designs.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the celebration/salt of Sakurai declaring Pyra his favorite has been great.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yo the Pyra/Mythra color swap look so good in this. The added bits between the 2 with the stocking and what not really add a lot.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It's one of the reasons I like the 1-7 Torna 8-10 play order. Makes the decision a lot more complicated.

unless you play torna, then well you will feel bad picking pyra
I mean, I picked Mythra because "that's her original personality" but I regretted it because the decision is meant to be who REX would pick and the game doesn't really set up Rex to pick Mythra over Pyra. Torna wouldn't factor into his decision.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean, I picked Mythra because "that's her original personality" but I regretted it because the decision is meant to be who REX would pick and the game doesn't really set up Rex to pick Mythra over Pyra. Torna wouldn't factor into his decision.

Did it actually change anything??

Rex gets both his waifus in the end, so I felt the question was moot by the final cutscene...

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the entire fucking Rance series is entirely made by women

I know Alicesoft has at least some female staff but I find this incredibly hard to believe though I have no actual knowledge on the subject. Are TADA or Orion women?

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Did it actually change anything??

Rex gets both his waifus in the end, so I felt the question was moot by the final cutscene...
Yes

It changes which one he refers to them as in cutscenes and other dialogue and the ending changes based on which one you pick. The camera focuses on Pyra or Mythra as the final shot.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes

It changes which one he refers to them as in cutscenes and other dialogue and the ending changes based on which one you pick. The camera focuses on Pyra or Mythra as the final shot.

Eh. Okay so nothing too major. I like the little Lost in Translation moment though.

Last edited:

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
it's kind of a tragedy (or ironic a la Palaptine?) that the titty rabbit is being posted as exhibit A for xenoblade 2 problematicity when it exists because they gave free reign to a female artist
Please don't use "female artist" to justify that excessively pandering design. The woman who designed it was not stupid and knewthe game's target audience, thus the egregious design of the titty bunny.

Nov 17, 2017
Honestly, Dahlia gets picked on too much. You'd think she was the only bad Blade design in the game but there's no shortage of examples to choose from. One of my favorite Blades was Newt. I couldn't have her in the party if someone was watching me play the game.

one may be less but i wouldn't say two started the whole male gaze thing i mean, not after x and they way they introduce goetia

and so many of the xeno's outfits are as bad as the blades in two outside of dahlia, so one may have not been as bad but x is very much similar and as or almost as bad

Yes, X also has fanservice and there are some character that embody it more than others - I haven't denied this. That clip is absolutely male gaze but compared to the many cutscenes in which Pyra, Mythra, Poppi, Brighid, etc. are framed in the male gaze throughout the entire game, including the Blade awakening scenes, it's not really comparable. How many times is Pyra's ass in the center of the frame?

Fanservice in Xenoblade 1 and X tend to just exist in the character designs and sometimes in the camera work as you showed but 2 likes to call attention to it and play with it. Sharla may have big boobs but the game never felt the need to have Sharla sleepwalk into Reyn's tent and rub her boobs against him. Xenoblade X may have some bad outfits for female xenos but it never felt the need to have a scene where the female characters get in a hot tub and comment on each others bodies. It doesn't have a gameplay system adopting from popular waifu collecting mobile games. Tatsu is an annoying potato but at least he doesn't have a maid fetish. I look at Tora and feel he'd probably get some sick pleasure from being eaten by a cute girl. Anti-Tatsu if I ever saw one - ironically Tora is Tatsu's rival in X. Hmmm...

Again, I'm not denying that the first two Xenoblade games had fanservice - I just don't understand why people are pretending like they can't see the shift in how fanservice was handled in 2 and how it kicked it up several notches. I mean, there has to be an explanation for why the reaction to 2's designs has been so explosive in comparison to 1 and X. And I'm not just talking about negative responses to the fanservice but positive ones too. Do you think people are just making stuff up?

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Please don't use "female artist" to justify that excessively pandering design. The woman who designed it was not stupid and knewthe game's target audience, thus the egregious design of the titty bunny.
Tho who does it pander to*? I don't know or see anyone really liking it design wise

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
200w.gif

Well I learned something today.
I know Alicesoft has at least some female staff but I find this incredibly hard to believe though I have no actual knowledge on the subject. Are TADA or Orion women?
I went back to check, the lead writer of the first 7 games and defined the character is a woman called Tori. Now I guess the entire saff being women is hyperbole, but you get the idea.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Okay, but isn't that poster's point less "it was a woman" and more "it was a woman who was given freedom to make the design however she wanted to and still choose to do it like this". Is the artist wrong for enjoying this sort of design? Is it really pandering if she actually likes it?

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, but isn't that poster's point less "it was a woman" and more "it was a woman who was given freedom to make the design however she wanted to and still choose to do it like this". Is the artist wrong for enjoying this sort of design? Is it really pandering if she actually likes it?
A lot of women can be sexist and the artist liking it does not make the design less sexist or pandering to people who enjoy the overtly exaggerated non-physics obeying titty designs.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I went back to check, the lead writer of the first 7 games and defined the character is a woman called Tori. Now I guess the entire saff being women is hyperbole, but you get the idea.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Everything I remember reading attributes the original concepts of the characters and story to TADA. And checking VNDB Tori was only the scenario writer on 6-7.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that is in fact a very detailed shoe thing, but I'm still not convinced that comment was not Sakurai being euphemistic.
The bottoms of feet are often pretty hard to get a close look at in video games, but they're still something the Smash team has to get right.

His double insistence on preferring Pyra for combat was way weirder lol

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I swear if Nintendo someday decides to greenlit a spin-off of the most popular character from Xc2, and they use online discussion as the basis for the popularity, the game will be Dahlia's Adventures: Defying Gravity.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
A lot of women can be sexist and the artist liking it does not make the design less sexist or pandering to people who enjoy the overtly exaggerated non-physics obeying titty designs.
I have to partially disagree. Sexualized designs are NOT inherently bad without context, and the problem of it is related to how these sorts of choices stop designs that don't conform to that sort of pandering from being more prevalent. It's all about there not being enough variety and representation on media because of corporate interests. If this artist and others were given this sort of freedom to make their designs more frequently and the result was less sexualized designs becoming more frequent then I would be all for it. If anything, more developers should allow more diverse creators choose to make their art however they want, even if some of the results were still pandering.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
As an anecdote, my adolescent daughter loves characters with big boobs. When she's playing a game with a character creator, she'll slide the bust up to max.

I was weirded out by this at first. My wife said it's a girl thing to like boobs but they grow out of it as society tells them that boobs are for the enjoyment of men and not women, or at least that was her experience growing up. Maybe the bunny blade artist really did just like boobs.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I actually wonder how many people who have posted that blade as evidence realize this.
Wait a female artist made that? 😂
Yes, very few folks know about this.

The artist is Risa Ebata.

macross.fandom.com

Risa Ebata

Risa Ebata (江端 里沙, Ebata Risa) is a Japanese female animator, original painter, and illustrator who works for Satelight. She used to go under the alias, Komusume, Ehime Mikan, and Ahime Mikan. She also used the nickname Sai Tamako, however she has since adopted the name Risa Ebata in 2007. After...

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is worse at fanservice, but generally better at making characters have actual agency and purpose. And not get thrown to the back of the story.

Sharla's entire character trope is all about a dude and then she kind of moves onto another dude. Melia gets her entire story thrown to the side. And most of Fiora just revolves around Shulk. It's why I end up enjoying XBC2 characters more. They actually get to do things in cutscenes too unlike XBC1 where every cutscene revolves around Shulk.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is worse at fanservice, but generally better at making characters have actual agency and purpose. And not get thrown to the back of the story.

Sharla's entire character trope is all about a dude and then she kind of moves onto another dude. Melia gets her entire story thrown to the side. And most of Fiora just revolves around Shulk. It's why I end up enjoying XBC2 characters more. They actually get to do things in cutscenes too unlike XBC1 where every cutscene revolves around Shulk.
this is so true
for example Pyra, Mythra and Poppi get a lot of moments for themselves and their relation that cap it of to a solid gut punch
or dare I say a below belt