• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022
Screenshot_2023-06-26_at_22.png

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
That's an absolute bargain for Hellblade 2, sequel to a fantastic game, and the people behind DmC which is one of the best hack and slash games ever made.

Eddark

Oct 10, 2022
Hard to read but it seems next to Hellblade, Bleeding Edge it says VR projects.

Considering Microsoft stance regarding VR we can assume those projects are now cancelled

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
damn, riot games for 472, what a steal when you see the rest of the list (granted it was back in 2011).

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Respawn for the price EA got them for was such a steal for EA. Still, it is nice to know the actual number now for Ninja Theory even if it is a bit pixilated haha.

*smh to the rest of the glasses needing thread I saw it fine once I zoomed in.

Last edited:

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I really hope Hellblade 2 is good, because that's an expensive price to pay for... Bleeding Edge
They make these acquisitions thinking about where the studio could be in years to come. It's not just about the IP they currently have.

If Hellblade 2 is a hit, suddenly they have a new premiere franchise and if they make another big new IP after that, they have another. It quickly starts to make sense. Plus, Hellblade is the kind of game they needed at the time.

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
Context matters. Microsoft barely had a first party presence and with Ninja Theory they were buying a small, fairly accomplished studio that punched above their weight. They're not buying IP, they were buying talent and the prospect and vision of creating a very good studio capable of producing high quality, narrative focused games.

Hellblade needs a lot of work in regards to combat and puzzles but I am hopefully the NT will knock it out of the park.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Definitely seems expensive compared to Insomniac but iirc Insomniac didn't really come with any IP whereas Ninja Theory came with Hellblade? Even a small IP like that adds a lot of value.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Seems like a lot given their track record, granted hell blade had a lot of good highs.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
WOW @ the multiple they paid for Bethesda.

And that must include Multiplatform earnings. I bet adjusted they paid even more than that. Wow wow wow.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
insomniacs is like a bargin, good for Sony. There are probably other terms Ted Price included that means more than just $$$ for him I think.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
not sure if the gifs are purely making light of the blurry image or the idea that anyone sane would pay that much for Ninja Theory.
I'll go with both.

I wonder how many of the original owners of the developers on that list look at what they got paid versus what other developers were bought for and go "we was robbed."

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
Definitely seems expensive compared to Insomniac but iirc Insomniac didn't really come with any IP whereas Ninja Theory came with Hellblade? Even a small IP like that adds a lot of value.

They do own Sunset Overdrive IP though they can't release the first game due to Microsoft's involvement. However, if they ever make a sequel, they can do that.
Also, they didn't really any developers for the Ratchet and Clank series since only Insonmniac and more smaller compaies back in the psp days were developing them so having them back allows to be fully commited to the series.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Consolidation aside, given how MS is running their studios with completely hands free approach, as a dev (assuming they have no dislike for Xbox/PC) being acquired by MS looks like a better deal than Sony. You get unlimited time and money to work on your games and also gets paid. Of course situation could change drastically in future...

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot Supercell was bought by $10 billion. Absolutely insane.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
not sure if the gifs are purely making light of the blurry image or the idea that anyone sane would pay that much for Ninja Theory.
I'll go with both.

I wonder how many of the original owners of the developers on that list look at what they got paid versus what other developers were bought for and go "we was robbed."
First one.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this still get thrown around?

I think people assume that Microsoft is just so desperate that they'll basically let any dev get away with what they want but people should know better that this is Microsoft. They announced record revenue and then laid off thousands of workers including a bunch of people from 343. The bill will always come due and if a studio isn't producing the numbers...

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Is that cheap or have acquisition prices gotten so large that it's hard to tell what's a good price

Status
Not open for further replies.