• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
Stealth streaming thread I guess.

I signed up to Game Pass today just to try out cloud gaming. I live in regional Australia with pretty average internet and I was expecting to get a 'your internet is too slow' and be locked out of trying it altogether. To my surprise it worked. Not only does it work but there is no lag. I can't believe it to be honest. Now my picture quality isn't amazing and is noticeably worse but considering the positives I'm not even disappointed.

Yesterday I was playing Halo Infinite mp at what feels like sub 30 fps and now I'm streaming it at 60 fps. I deleted the local version to try the streaming version and it is night and day better. Then I tried Forza 5 at 60 fps. Destiny 2 at 60 fps. Sea of Thieves at 60 fps.

Yeah...just had to tell someone.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
So Ive been looking for an answer on this, can I stream any xcloud game on a one s/x ? Even series S/X exclusive games? Or do you just get a bump for crossgen games.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fortunate enough to have the next-gen consoles and good internet so I don't need streaming, but I always wondered if it's already at a point where the input lag is so low that you can actually play comfortably? I used to have a shitty TV with a ~40ms input lag and it was constant suffering. Last time I checked videos testing xcloud, Stadia etc the input lag was in the 80s, so I'd rather just not play at all with that.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Its less impressive than turning old phones, notebooks and tablets into Series Xes, but i get your point xD
Enjoy, its perfect to be able to use something like this and not be forced to upgrade to a new systems until availability becomes better.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
So Ive been looking for an answer on this, can I stream any xcloud game on a one s/x ? Even series S/X exclusive games? Or do you just get a bump for crossgen games.

Only supported games (part of the game pass catalog). Ah, I didn't read the question properly: yeah every game in xcloud should work in any device that runs xcloud. You could play The Medium in a One S of course.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
It's a yes with caveats.

Right now you can stream xCloud games including Series X|S exclusives, but there's at least one game missing, Flight Simulator. This will become available early next year so it's a matter of time rather than not at all.

For cross-gen games the version being streamed should be the enhanced Series S version so you'll get better frame rates and graphics in a lot of games.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
It's a yes with caveats.

Right now you can stream xCloud games including Series X|S exclusives, but there's at least one game missing, Flight Simulator. This will become available early next year so it's a matter of time rather than not at all.

For cross-gen games the version being streamed should be the enhanced Series S version so you'll get better frame rates and graphics in a lot of games.

Yeah but Flight Simulator isn't available in xbox cloud for anyone in any device, that's the point. Every xcloud game should be accesible from any device right now.

I tried the cloud yesterday in my Series X, which is connected to the router by cable, sitting just besides it, and the input lag was not good in a 60 fps first person game for me. I'l have to check the original game out in the console and see how it compares but while playable it was awkward for me (and it wasn't even a shooting game). Image quality wasn't the same but that was expected, and that may become better if they ever support 4k with hdr.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah but Flight Simulator isn't available in xbox cloud for anyone in any device, that's the point. Every xcloud game should be accesible from any device right now.

I tried the cloud yesterday in my Series X, which is connected to the router by cable, sitting just besides it, and the input lag was not good in a 60 fps first person game for me. I'l have to check the original game out in the console and see how it compares but while playable it was awkward for me (and it wasn't even a shooting game). Image quality wasn't the same but that was expected, and that may become better if they ever support 4k with hdr.
Fair play, I called it out because it got raised in the other topic as a notable game that was missing and we were informed it's coming, just not right now.

I also tried the cloud on my Series X which is wired, the input lag wasn't noticeable at all. I legitimately forgot I was playing streamed games at times. Image quality definitely takes a hit but I'm damn impressed so far tbh.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe MS has stolen Sony's lunch on this. This isn't meant to be a console war stirring post, I'm just really disappointed that Sony is so slow with any progress on PS Now.

It's definitely a great feature for Xbox. If your internet connection is good enough, you can probably play some games in higher quality via streaming than it would run natively on a One S.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
I'm obviously really old because I'm in exactly the same position as the OP and it's honestly marvellous.

I sometimes come on here and feel like you're all like "that's not quite the right flavour of magic I would like to taste though so it's AWFUL AND I HATE ITAND IT'S LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE" but just stop for a minute. It's fucking magic.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have Series S. Last night I determined to update my VCR Xbox One and to try the cloud gaming.
And I continued to play The Medium on my VCR Xbox via Cloud.
Good experience.
Will always still prefer natively play, but more options is always better.
My Series S has only 30GB left and I have so many GP games I want to try and play. This solved my issue to some extents.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
Tried out GTA San Andreas yesterday through the cloud and I am shocked how smooth it was. Things seem to have gotten a lot better. It felt like it was running natively

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I gave it a whirl last night from a Series X and a 40mb connection. I was pretty impressed.
It's a great feature for "demoing" a game pass title before downloading it. Or playing the cloud version whilst waiting for the native version to download.

It's not perfect on my connection, and I'd be very interested in seeing how it performs when I'm in the office on a 1gb connection. But it's still a fantastic feature.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Only supported games (part of the game pass catalog). Ah, I didn't read the question properly: yeah every game in xcloud should work in any device that runs xcloud. You could play The Medium in a One S of course.

It's a yes with caveats.

Stream any cloud based game pass title which uses a next gen version

Nice, thats tempting.. I've been looking at either a second hand Xbox series S or One and I don't reaaaallly care about the highest image quality, just want to play some forza and the Rare games. Series S is still a bit too much for my use case.

Oct 27, 2017
Did something similar last night. I streamed PS5 games to PS4 for a friend to try and it was kinda sureal.

Pretty interesting tech.
I can't believe MS has stolen Sony's lunch on this. This isn't meant to be a console war stirring post, I'm just really disappointed that Sony is so slow with any progress on PS Now.

It's definitely a great feature for Xbox. If your internet connection is good enough, you can probably play some games in higher quality via streaming than it would run natively on a One S.
How would you do this with the current stock issues?

PS5 on PS Now would need PS5 server blades.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
I'm obviously really old because I'm in exactly the same position as the OP and it's honestly marvellous.

I sometimes come on here and feel like you're all like "that's not quite the right flavour of magic I would like to taste though so it's AWFUL AND I HATE ITAND IT'S LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE" but just stop for a minute. It's fucking magic.
You all East Coast? WA over her and it's terrible. I got 70mbps down only 5mbps up, the image quality is so pixelated it's nauseating and the input lag is borderline unplayable. Back 4 Blood was the game I tried, would much prefer a local 30fps.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Nice, thats tempting.. I've been looking at either a second hand Xbox series S or One and I don't reaaaallly care about the highest image quality, just want to play some forza and the Rare games. Series S is still a bit too much for my use case.
Just bear in mind that input latency may be affected by factors outside of your control, like your ISP, your location to the MS datacenter, and the quality of your networking equipment (if forced to use the ISPs).

It's been brilliant for me but I'm on a high speed connection and built my internal network myself, removing the ISPs router from the equation. I live in the countryside so I'm nowhere close to a MS datacenter but I'm clearly close enough to get decent responsiveness. Your milage may vary and if you go with a last-gen console it's got limited life going forward outside of xCloud. If you can, try to borrow one first and give it a go

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I have subscribed to gamepass now too and I am basically fine with this instead of buying Xbox hardware and finding space for it. I can play on my phone and laptop with minimal lag, all for one pretty low price per month. If you have a good internet connection and are willing to accept a few caveats its almost a no brainer to play this way, especially if you have other people in your household hogging the tv.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice way to save space too I'd imagine. Games like Wasteland 3 don't require pin point input, would be the ideal candidate for streaming without sacrificing HDD space.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

Now i wish i didn't sell my XBOX One last year SMH.

Keep in mind that you don't NEED a console for this; this is available also in pc and Android/iOS or anything that can run Edge browser I guess, maybe Chrome too. Android TVs also run it via he mobile app (sideloaded) I think. Probably not the same result but similar, to me it ran very similar to my phone at 5 ghz wifi in terms of image quality and input lag, at the very least.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I recall MS talking about releasing xcloud apps for TVs, whatever happened with that? Also some kind of xcloud USB stick you plug into your tv, IIRC. I would like to use xcloud on my tv but I haven't really figured out an easy solution for how to do it since I don't own an Xbox (I only use Gamepass on PC).

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Flight Simulator is trickier as it's a cloud based game already. So playing it via the cloud would mean a streaming game that also streams most of its data from elsewhere. I'm surprised it's coming to xcloud at all.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I recall MS talking about releasing xcloud apps for TVs, whatever happened with that? Also some kind of xcloud USB stick you plug into your tv, IIRC. I would like to use xcloud on my tv but I haven't really figured out an easy solution for how to do it since I don't own an Xbox (I only use Gamepass on PC).

It was rumoured, apps, stick like device but considering the service is still in beta, I don't think they are ready to go that big just yet. Baby steps.

Oct 26, 2017
I tried the streaming out on my PC last night with Forza, it worked fairly well. Certainly responsive enough to play, though I did feel a little bit of latency, and the visuals were obviously not as good as if it were being rendered locally (Colours a bit muted, some artifacting, but nothing major). I'm going to try some other titles soon. I was very impressed at how simple the process was (Although my first attempt did crash on startup, but the second one resumed exactly where I was)

This is definitely something I can see myself using in the future, and it would be great if more game supported it. Much easier to just test out a game to see if I want to play it via streaming rather than having to wait for the download.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
I tried on my Xbox Series X just for curiosity and men , its amazing. I could try some gamepass game before download . No lag ...and my internet is average.

Im impressed by this tech and how easy is to get into.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
Played a bit of Gears 2 sure there is latency but it's still low enough for me to nail active reloads. That instantly was a good sign.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I hope this will work directly from my TV at some point soon then I won't mind my xbox wandering off when someone else decides they want to use it. Not having to have 100GB+ games installed when there's only 36xGB total is also a bonus.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Stealth streaming thread I guess.

I signed up to Game Pass today just to try out cloud gaming. I live in regional Australia with pretty average internet and I was expecting to get a 'your internet is too slow' and be locked out of trying it altogether. To my surprise it worked. Not only does it work but there is no lag. I can't believe it to be honest. Now my picture quality isn't amazing and is noticeably worse but considering the positives I'm not even disappointed.

Yesterday I was playing Halo Infinite mp at what feels like sub 30 fps and now I'm streaming it at 60 fps. I deleted the local version to try the streaming version and it is night and day better. Then I tried Forza 5 at 60 fps. Destiny 2 at 60 fps. Sea of Thieves at 60 fps.

Yeah...just had to tell someone.

Glad to hear it works for you. You can look forward to XCloud getting even better in the future. Stadia and GFN have shown that the image quality and latency can improve a lot for XCloud.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to get network stats while playing? I upgraded to GP Ultimate recently and cloud streaming to my XSX was poor. I'm on 100mbs fibre and have an Azure region in my city. I should be at most 10ms ping away.

And yet all the games I streamed felt I was playing a YouTube video. Blurred image with compression artifacts and a juddering frame rate. Games were playable but not in a way I'd ever give up local gaming for.

Apr 21, 2018
I signed up to Game Pass today just to try out cloud gaming...pretty average internet...there is no lag.

Mandatory fiber for the cloud is a myth:
There are others factors like stability, server location.

You have a better experience with stable average internet near a MSFT server than an unstable fiber far from servers...

That's why players should test several cloud services and not give up after one bad experience also depending on the server location.

T-800
Next step for you, try GFN, Stadia to increase your choice. (you can play them on your xbox one via Edge)

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When you say regional, how regional OP? Because if you say something like an East coast side town that's three hours in land I will laugh. I'm in literally remote rural Queensland, and our internet is horridly shit. It is to the point where most people rely on the Telstra tower, which itself needs upgrading because grey nomads make it crawl.

I'd love to give xCloud a try, but considering Sky Muster is Liberal farts in a bottle labelled "rural NBN" and Starlink is taking its time to get here, I have no real faith it would work.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
When you say regional, how regional OP? Because if you say something like an East coast side town that's three hours in land I will laugh. I'm in literally remote rural Queensland, and our internet is horridly shit. It is to the point where most people rely on the Telstra tower, which itself needs upgrading because grey nomads make it crawl.

I'd love to give xCloud a try, but considering Sky Muster is Liberal farts in a bottle labelled "rural NBN" and Starlink is taking its time to get here, I have no real faith it would work.
I'm in Byron with a crappy 50mb connection and the nearest data centre would be... Sydney? Maybe Brizzy? And look it's by no means flawless but it's pretty amazing compared to what I thought we'd get.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I don't consider myself a resolution or graphics snob, he says with an XSX on an LGCX, but the knock to the graphics is really noticeable to me. Artifacting is just everywhere. Streamed Arkham Knight, trying to skip cutscenes but lag on pressing B. Streamed another game, it froze/crashed. So I've tried PSNow and Stadia and now Xcloud, the hit to how it looks mars my amazement that it controls even reasonably at all. Also Old Gang Rise Up. Barreling towards 46 as I type this. I have fast internet so still installing locally is worth it for me.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I tested it out on some iOS devices (I have very fast internet) when it came out and I thought it was pretty unplayable tbh. Not even talking multiplayer games and all that jazz. There was just too much input lag and it was a bit hiccupy at times and struggled to maintain overall consistency.

This was back when they first opened it up to everyone so it was months ago, I wonder if things have gotten better. Wish I could try again for another dollar.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Since all of this is foreign to me living in Wisconsin, I feel like I just read a blurb out of a Nicholas Eames book. Telstras, and grey nomads, and Sky Musters and all.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
From my experience trying out every single streaming solution, the speed of your Internet is rarely the factor in getting lag/compression artifacts/a bad experience.

Very modest speeds are required to stream games. Don't forget that we've had game streaming for over ten years (OnLive!) and Internet speeds were WOEFUL back then.

More often than not it's your network setup in your house. How far from the router you are/what router you're using/other devices on the same channel etc. I have pretty decent down/up speed in my house and the performance of Xbox streaming/PS Now/Stadia etc wildly varies depending on which device I'm using and where in the house I am.

My Xbox plugged in to my router is flawless. My Xbox across the house plugged in to my mesh box is very poor. PS Now streamed to my PS5 is very poor. If I plug my PS5 in to the router it feels almost native. Speed is always the same. It's not the internet speed.