• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is about Microsoft's plans for Xbox Live Gold. It isn't about meta commentary about the Era community or signal boosting shitty Twitter replies.

Let's get back on topic please.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I honesty think that era is pretty well balanced. There is some digging from both sides but 9 times out of 10 it's not malicious imo.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
I was always very skeptical given profitability issues within the xbox division outside of Live. I mean those are some FAT margins they'd be giving up right after they spent 18 years conditioning their userbase to accept it.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
is there any data on player numbers for eg fortnite showing whether the Xbox:PS4 split is in line with marketshare? PS4 allows F2P games without PS+ so if that affected users you may expect to see a disproportionate number of players on PS4

If the data exists it's not publicly available.

That said, while it might provide some indication, there will be other factors involved in the above case that also might skew the data... case in point:

I'm not sure casuals know much about it though. And the same goes for PS4 owners, I have a friend that thought he needed plus to play Warzone, because he was used to pay it for regular MP

———————

It's like you are ignoring that the very graph you have posted shows that a whopping 16% of quarterly revenue comes just from subscriptions (of which the vast majority will be from PS+). Let's assume that translates directly to Xbox's numbers as well; they would have to be confident that removing XBLG would result in a roughly 1.4x increase in add-on revenue. Do you seriously think a 40% increase is remotely plausible? And do you think a bean counting company would believe it to be plausible. Come on this is just wishful thinking.

This.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
But the Xbox ecosystem isn't in a bubble.

If THAT one is free, but PS+ isn't, that's going to shift the numbers to their console and increase the game purchases, IAPs, number of players, etc.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else notice that the Playstation trailer for Temtem has a disclaimer saying PS+ will be required for online play while the Xbox trailer has no such disclaimer? Probably means nothing but maybe...

Xbox -

Playstation -

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Anyone else notice that the Playstation trailer for Temtem has a disclaimer saying PS+ will be required for online play while the Xbox trailer has no such disclaimer? Probably means nothing but maybe...

Xbox -

Playstation -

I imagine someone made a mistake and forgot about it but they are always spot on with those disclosures.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Xbox -

Playstation -

It says footage captured from PC on the xbox trailer. They probably just sent over the PC trailer to xbox and they added the xbox logo cards.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
Wonder if that edit was timed for an originally planned hardware show that was supposed to be today...

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But if its gamepass description then that means they might be rolling gold into gamepass which is 100$/year and a price increase ?
Who knows really. The Gold purchase options are still up, and it wasnt related to my Ultimate sub as I was still able to see it after being signed out.

If its rolled into GP, could be they're transitioning everyone onto that service at no extra cost using their conversation matrix

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Who knows really. The Gold purchase options are still up, and it wasnt related to my Ultimate sub as I was still able to see it after being signed out.

If its rolled into GP, could be they're transitioning everyone onto that service at no extra cost using their conversation matrix
Can u get yearly gamepass ? Maybe u will be able to do 1 month or 3 months gold but if u want yearly then gamepass is ur only choice

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I dont remember who said it, but i think someone earlier speculated in that Xbox Live Gold (XLG) will be baked into GamePass, but will also be available in a 1 and 3 months package (XLG that is). This means that people can still get XLG and get the current offers if they dont want to pay more for what GamePass has to offer. I think this makes sense.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
No plans to change, and yet

b2c.png

So best case scenario playing online got a price increase giving GamePass more value and if sony wants they could advertise as the cheapest place to play online or double down and increase theirs too.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
queue, our mistake comments ina few hours after pages of hype.

just do it ms, drop gold and make this start to next Gen really interesting.

How do you get "drop gold and make next gen interesting" from an image showing them appearing to roll it into a GamePass subscription thus majorly increasing the price.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Has someone read the text? It says "as well as Forza Horizon 4 and Crackdown 3 the day they release".

Seems like some really old screen. Perhaps one of the First instances of Gamepass?

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still thinking it's a soft price hike. Expect those 1 year cards to disappear by next holiday.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Has someone read the text? It says "as well as Forza Horizon 4 and Crackdown 3 the day they release".

Seems like some really old screen. Perhaps one of the First instances of Gamepass?
I saw the mention the text, and the text is likely old indeed, but the screen is probably new. If i go the swedish Xbox site now, it says the same text, just in swedish of course:

"Få tillgång till över 100 Xbox One- och Xbox 360-spel på Xbox One till en låg månadskostnad. Spela nya spel som Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3 och Forza Horizon 4 samma dag som de släpps..."

https://www.microsoft.com/sv-se/p/xbox-live-gold/cfq7ttc0k5dj?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab (not really need to translate it all, but you can see that games like Crackdown 3 and Forza Horizon 4 are mentioned).

The same site in the US does not have this text however (maybe updated?):

Buy Xbox Game Pass Core — Xbox Game Pass Core 1 Month | Xbox

Enjoy online console multiplayer with Game Pass Core, plus a select catalog of high-quality games and member deals. With Game Pass Core, you can quickly find people you want to play with – whether it’s friends, family, or the greater Xbox community. After any promotional period, subscription...

But it could perhaps all just be a mistake.

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
Increasing Xbox Live price to make Game Pass look a better choice? Bad idea for those that just want a cheaper console (One S or Series S) or the most powerful one (Xbox Series X) to play some games. I only expect F2P games not requiring Live Gold.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes, there can be smoke, without a fire
But, can there be fire, without the smoke

#deepshit #hateforum #hatetake

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
My brother converted to Game Pass Ultimate back when the $1 conversions were first being offered. His sub expired a few days ago, but he was able to renew his Gold with a 3-month sub without it automatically converting to GP Ultimate. I'm wondering if maybe they got rid of 12-month subs temporarily, just until they can allow GP Ultimate subscribers to revert to Gold without automatically converting to 4 months of GP Ultimate (or whatever it would have converted to).

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
My brother converted to Game Pass Ultimate back when the $1 conversions were first being offered. His sub expired a few days ago, but he was able to renew his Gold with a 3-month sub without it automatically converting to GP Ultimate. I'm wondering if maybe they got rid of 12-month subs temporarily, just until they can allow GP Ultimate subscribers to revert to Gold without automatically converting to 4 months of GP Ultimate (or whatever it would have converted to).
to revert back to gold all you have to do is let your gamepass ultimate expire. any gold added while a GPU sub is active will convert at a 1/3 time rate. once GPU lapses you can add whatever gold time you want and it won't automatically convert to gamepass. removing the 12 month option just makes it more expensive if you want to buy a year of gold.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
to revert back to gold all you have to do is let your gamepass ultimate expire. any gold added while a GPU sub is active will convert at a 1/3 time rate. once GPU lapses you can add whatever gold time you want and it won't automatically convert to gamepass. removing the 12 month option just makes it more expensive if you want to buy a year of gold.
The conversion isn't 1/3 across the board. It's based off the monetary value of Gold/Gamepass to Gamepass Ultimate. So 1 month of Gold = 20days or 2/3 (10/15), while 1 year is 4 months, 1/3 (60/180)