Zero-Crescent

Oct 28, 2017
Cry Wilderness is such a weird movie. It's like it doesn't know if it wants to be just a regular, hokey family camping movie or a fantasy flick.
It also feels like a sequel to a movie that was never made. The way the kid just casually drops the story of "Yeah, last summer I totally met Bigfoot and we shared Coca-Colas and listened to music and Bigfoot has magic powers" at the start of the movie. I'm like, why aren't we watching THAT movie!?

But this movie has some bright spots, like Jim, who exhibits three emotions during the entire movie: 1) Deathly serious 2) Grinning and giggling 3) Trying not to corpse on camera.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Night of the Blood Beast is one of my favorite Mike episodes from the Comedy Central era. I also really dig the odd "parrot alien" creature in the movie because it seriously reminds me of a Chozo from Metroid.
I remember the movie by itself being one of the worst ones out of the movies they've showcased.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd love to see Jonah return and would be okay with losing Patton and Felicia if it were necessary for keeping him, as much as I like Patton's voice and loved Kinga. Aesthetically speaking she was one of my favorite Mads but Jonah really needs a proper sendoff and I'm willing to sacrifice his previous Mads for it. Would also like to see it be lower budget again and to not push so many celebrity cameos. Honestly if they did drastically tone down the visual upgrades and cameos in the Netflix series they could probably have afforded the core cast for more seasons. Either way Netflix pretty much kills anything interesting these days in favor of cashing out on six seasons of stuff like Big Mouth so who knows.

I'm still ready to move on if we really can't get anything else with Jonah. Nothing wrong with Emily getting her own shot at episodes too on another platform if we even get more seasons at this point, haven't seen the live shows at all sadly but I think she has potential but at the same time I really do think they should at least try to get some more out of Jonah. The fact he came back for this marathon definitely tells me he would probably still be up for it
I know kinda gets in the way of "the premise," but I'd be happy with Jonah, Emily, and two bots--or Jonah, Emily and one bot if needed. It just feels like a shame to let Jonah go when it feels like his era was just clicking.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
I think Jonah and the new crew wpuld have gotten better with another season. Season 12 did a pretty good job of slowing down the pace and have them talk less over the movie.

Emily, from this amyways, might do alright, so hope she has a chance on some platform. Will agree with Mega Synthia just not being that funny. She just doesnt seem funny at all. Didnt realize she was actually any part of the series, even thiugh she shows up in the Pluto TV commercials for the channel, thought she was just a really bad fan cosplay of Pearl (maybe what the were going for, but it doesnt work)

Still prefer MST3K over Rifftrax, even if Rifftrax does have some good episodes as well. I just really appreciate the silhouettes, especially when they use them to comedic effect, and skits breaking up the movie and giving a chance to make fun of it.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
I wonder if any of the people who worked on or starred in Cry Wilderness know about its MST3K presence. Wish we could get more "Where Are They Nows?" on weird movies like this.

It also feels like a sequel to a movie that was never made. The way the kid just casually drops the story of "Yeah, last summer I totally met Bigfoot and we shared Coca-Colas and listened to music and Bigfoot has magic powers" at the start of the movie. I'm like, why aren't we watching THAT movie!?

But this movie has some bright spots, like Jim, who exhibits three emotions during the entire movie: 1) Deathly serious 2) Grinning and giggling 3) Trying not to corpse on camera.

That's... that explains so much about this movie. I could see this being completely true, it'd explain a lot. This movie itself is so obscure that it's completely possible there's just an unknown precursor or sequel out there lost in a hoard of direct to video movies and nobody knows. If that's true I wonder if there exists like a single soul who has seen both movies who wasn't directly involved in both of them.

I know kinda gets in the way of "the premise," but I'd be happy with Jonah, Emily, and two bots--or Jonah, Emily and one bot if needed. It just feels like a shame to let Jonah go when it feels like his era was just clicking.

Yeah that second season was really getting good and made me so eager for a third one. I think Mac and Me is one of my all time favs from the franchise but it's probably just bias since that's one of my favorite bad movies of all time due to how much I love the movie its ripping off. Using two humans at once would be a pretty neat way of shaking up the formula, I think there'd be room for four characters onscreen. I'm sure a lot of fans would probably be a bit upset but if it's something the crew would want to do then I'd still watch it and probably enjoy it. Could be a fun way of passing off the torch in a more gradual way than they've done before. The series is in such a weird limbo, seeing Jonah still pop up in this marathon makes me feel like anything is possible.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
To me, the worst part of the Netflix seasons is how Baron and Hampton didn't do anything outside of recording dialog. I think it's better for whoever is voicing the bots to also do the puppeteering. They can add more character and subtlely to the characters doing them themselves. I also hated how they weren't actually in the theater doing their lines with Jonah. Going back to the older seasons, there was quite a bit of interaction between Joel/Mike and the bots in the theater. They can react to each other and there's just better chemistry between everyone when they're all together.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
Wow wasn't expecting them to jump into the actual MST3K set like that with new content. This feels like a blatant stealth "pilot" to introduce her to non-live show people. Wasn't that the Netflix set/background?

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Wow wasn't expecting them to jump into the actual MST3K set like that with new content. This feels like a blatant stealth "pilot" to introduce her to non-live show people. Wasn't that the Netflix set/background?
Was a nice surprise and an ok introduction. Wish the short wss better, something like 'What to do on a Date.'

Last edited:

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I wonder if any of the people who worked on or starred in Cry Wilderness know about its MST3K presence. Wish we could get more "Where Are They Nows?" on weird movies like this.

That's... that explains so much about this movie. I could see this being completely true, it'd explain a lot. This movie itself is so obscure that it's completely possible there's just an unknown precursor or sequel out there lost in a hoard of direct to video movies and nobody knows. If that's true I wonder if there exists like a single soul who has seen both movies who wasn't directly involved in both of them.

Yeah that second season was really getting good and made me so eager for a third one. I think Mac and Me is one of my all time favs from the franchise but it's probably just bias since that's one of my favorite bad movies of all time due to how much I love the movie its ripping off. Using two humans at once would be a pretty neat way of shaking up the formula, I think there'd be room for four characters onscreen. I'm sure a lot of fans would probably be a bit upset but if it's something the crew would want to do then I'd still watch it and probably enjoy it. Could be a fun way of passing off the torch in a more gradual way than they've done before. The series is in such a weird limbo, seeing Jonah still pop up in this marathon makes me feel like anything is possible.

Regarding Mac and Me: I think I've quoted the "PRETTY NIIIIIIIICE" part so fucking much.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
Regarding Mac and Me: I think I've quoted the "PRETTY NIIIIIIIICE" part so fucking much.

That part was iconic. I've essentially turned it into one of my catchphrases, it's so good. Killed me when Crow (or at least I remember it being him) randomly brought it back in another episode.

oh boo, I missed the Emily short, and it's not archived either

Damn, normally MST3K fans are pretty good about archiving that stuff. Hopefully it pops up somewhere within the next few days or they upload it officially.