• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Special counsel Robert Mueller's office is disputing a BuzzFeed report that President Donald Trump directed his then-personal attorney Michael Cohen to lie to Congress about the proposed Moscow Trump Tower project.
"BuzzFeed's description of specific statements to the Special Counsel's Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen's Congressional testimony are not accurate," said special counsel spokesman Peter Carr in a statement.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/18/politics/mueller-statement-buzzfeed/index.html

Nooooo, what are you doing Mueller

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I mean . Only buzzfeed reported it. No other news org could corroborate it and now mueller office has done what it rarely does. It said hold on, be careful, don't believe the narrative from Buzzfeed, wait for the investigation to end.

This is why corroboration is always needed

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
Why would the White House repeatedly decline to deny this though?

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this is a denial because the Mueller team is working on pulling together/confirming a bunch of different crimes and releasing the report all at once.

Either this was part of it, or Buzzfeed News got some bad sources and the Mueller team doesn't want it hanging out there and potentially affecting people believing the Mueller report,

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Whether Buzzfeed's story was true or not, I get the impression Mueller's office is trying to put out the fires caused by this. It's likely bringing them extra unwanted attention during a crucial period of their investigation.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
If anybody has learned anything over the past two solid years, it's to wait 24 hours after a bombshell breaks before you start getting fitted for your impeachment tuxedo.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Whether Buzzfeed's story was true or not, I get the impression Mueller's office is trying to put out the fires caused by this. It's likely bringing them extra unwanted attention during a crucial period of their investigation.
That's my hope. Maybe they want to blindside Trump and others with a giant barrage of charges so it's harder for Trump and others to control the narrative.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid fucks....

Does Buzzfeed not realize this kind of shit hurts the investigation? I hope that hack of a reporter has his career finished off.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
I think it's a very well written letter. It doesn't say it isn't true. It says the characterization is not accurate. I think there is a distinction that gives them some leeway to hide their hand.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, this seems like a very out of character step for the Mueller team to make. Interesting development.

The wording of this makes it even more interesting.. hmm...

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the best reaction is to wait and see. The only thing Trump and co. do more than commit crimes is lie, so if it's not this it will likely be something else.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh boy. Someone should update the OP with the Buzzfeed response.

Wonder what the truth really is

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Why the fuck would anyone trust or cite buzzfeed? What the hell is wrong with the media where I go to cnn.com today and their massive headline mentions buzzfeed? Literally why? How many times does the media need to learn their lesson? They are not and never have been a legitimate source.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see exactly what the issue is soon enough, I'm sure. It seems odd since Cohen himself seemingly corroborated the core of Buzzfeed's report himself in his tweets, so it's likely that there is some nuance to what they got wrong

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck would anyone trust or trust buzzfeed? What the hell is wrong with the media where I go to cnn.com today and their massive headline mentions buzzfeed? Literally why? How many times does the media need to learn their lesson? They are not and never have been a legitimate source.

Because Buzzfeed News's reporting is generally accurate? Like, you understand their News branch is separate from the Which Disney Princess Are You branch right?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wish people would stop with the hot takes and claiming the Mueller team is calling the story false. Their statement only says they dispute some details, they never say they dispute the actual story.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I wish people would stop with the hot takes and claiming the Mueller team is calling the story false. Their statement only says they dispute some details, they never say they dispute the actual story.

I would argue that the characterization is pretty much the entire story

Jan 15, 2019
The relative silence from so many places, and the specific wording of the special counsel's statement has me more confused than anything. It would have been much easier to say "Buzzfeed's story is false" but they opted for a more wordy and specific phrasing. I think it's probably best not to think about it much until more details come forward, but until those details come it's safe to say this story won't be the "we got him!" story we thought it was.

kittenbreath

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, we're back at the same place we were yesterday: we aren't going to know what Mueller knows until Mueller decides to tell us.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Seems like Muellers statement only says some details are wrong, not the overarching report. If it were totally wrong they would say so. The reason why they felt the need to dispute some details may be apparent later.

groganos

Jan 12, 2018
Ohhhhiiiiyyyoooo
This is a weird situation the wording of the special counsel was kind of vague like the characterization wasn't accurate .... I dunno wait it out I assume and buzzfeed not giving up I see