KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't we be getting a trailer for that soon?

If Paramount hasn't got a trailer for Sonic 3 good to go alongside IF, either Sega's making them hold off until Sonic's Anniversary in June, or the films getting pushed into 2025.

The success of Mario and Spider-Verse has to send a message, I hope. Animation is (relatively) cheap, and in this modern era with budgets ballooning out of control, everyone stands to benefit. Maybe instead of greenlighting the next stupidly expensive Indiana Jones, an X-Men 97 movie can get a spot on the release calendar. Honestly kinda amazing that Disney hasn't tried "animated Marvel" at the theatres yet.

Y'all forgot about Big Hero 6 already?

cece0021460537.563019ddeae56.jpg

Grossed just a bit under what Across the Spiderverse did in 10 years ago money.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Barry Jenkins, Lin-Manuel Miranda, James Laxton, Nicholas Britell, Pharrell Williams, Hans Zimmer, Mads Mikkelsen, Seth Rogen, Thandiwe Newton, Donald Glover, Beyoncé, Billy Eichner...

Rarely have so many talented people gathered on a project so fundamentally uninteresting. Basically everyone involved except the writer (Jeff Nathanson of PotC: Dead Men Tell No Tales and Speed 2 fame) is great.
That seems to be the go-to strategy for CG movies, especially middle-of-the-role ones.

Throw in as many big names as possible to throw in the trailer and hope their collective talent can make up for any of the movie's downsides.

Sadly, having seen the Lion King remake, I just don't think it'll work for me. But at least this is something new and not just a straight remake that's worse in every way.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Will laugh if it turns out that Scar is the real royalty and Mufasa usurps the throne.

Seems that way. Casting says he is a prince who accepts Mufasa into his family as a brother.

Now I feel bad for Scar. OG movie will never be the same again. Scar was done dirty his whole life. Imagine a life where he didn't need the Hyena.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The success of Mario and Spider-Verse has to send a message, I hope. Animation is (relatively) cheap, and in this modern era with budgets ballooning out of control, everyone stands to benefit. Maybe instead of greenlighting the next stupidly expensive Indiana Jones, an X-Men 97 movie can get a spot on the release calendar. Honestly kinda amazing that Disney hasn't tried "animated Marvel" at the theatres yet.

Part of the reason for that IMO is what internal animation studio/animation department would be available and willing for Disney to get such a film produced?

WDAS does at least have one animated Marvel adaptation to their record (Big Hero 6), but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the folklore and literature they've usually busied themselves with (or the original stories they've produced internally).
WDAS' Vancouver spinoff studio has the mission statement of making supplementary work for the main studio, which --whether as films or series-- are being made for streaming instead of the theater. While their Moana series has been reformulated into a theatrical movie sequel, I think that is being done as an emergency directive by Iger and company (box office flops of 2023, post-COVID underperformance of original works, WGA/SAG strikes leaving Disney's 2024 schedule barren) and shouldn't be taken as a signal of a change in direction.
Pixar has always focused on developing original stories (and followups based on those stories), instead of adaptations of outside works.
Blue Sky....well, we know what happened there.
DisneyToon Studios...same story as above.
Disney Television Animation / Marvel Animation are strictly regulated to television work. Moreover, the former has essentially been disbarred from theatrical releases since the underperformance of 2004's Teacher's Pet (film adaptation of the show); and Marvel Studios actually opted to produce the What If...? Disney+ series (which is an animated series) in-house themselves, instead of getting Marvel Animation to handle it.
20th Century Animation...same as above. The Bob's Burgers Movie I'm all too sure would had been a straight-to-Hulu/Disney+ release if Disney wasn't contractually obligated to release in theaters from the Fox buyout, and you could tell Disney had no meaningful desire to support it as a theatrical release anyway.

With all that established, I actually think animated Marvel features is an area where Disney could had leveraged their current relationship with Sony (regarding Spider-Man film rights) to their advantage, in light of SPA's Spider-Verse films. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some creatives within SPA who have some great ideas for, say, an animated Hulk or Iron Man movie or whatever; and would jump at the chance to produce it if Disney/Sony's partnership ever provided such an opportunity.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the reason for that IMO is what internal animation studio/animation department would be available and willing for Disney to get such a film produced?

WDAS does at least have one animated Marvel adaptation to their record (Big Hero 6), but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the folklore and literature they've usually busied themselves with (or the original stories they've produced internally).
WDAS' Vancouver spinoff studio has the mission statement of making supplementary work for the main studio, which --whether as films or series-- are being made for streaming instead of the theater. While their Moana series has been reformulated into a theatrical movie sequel, I think that is being done as an emergency directive by Iger and company (box office flops of 2023, post-COVID underperformance of original works, WGA/SAG strikes leaving Disney's 2024 schedule barren) and shouldn't be taken as a signal of a change in direction.
Pixar has always focused on developing original stories (and followups based on those stories), instead of adaptations of outside works.
Blue Sky....well, we know what happened there.
DisneyToon Studios...same story as above.
Disney Television Animation / Marvel Animation are strictly regulated to television work. Moreover, the former has essentially been disbarred from theatrical releases since the underperformance of 2004's Teacher's Pet film adaptation); and Marvel Studios actually opted to produce the What If...? Disney+ series (which is animated) in-house themselves, instead of getting Marvel Animation to handle it.
20th Century Animation...same as above. The Bob's Burgers Movie I'm all too sure would had been a straight-to-Hulu/Disney+ release if Disney wasn't contractually obligated to release in theaters from the Fox buyout, and you could tell Disney had no meaningful desire to support it as a theatrical release anyway.

With all that established, I actually think animated Marvel features is an area where Disney could had leveraged their current relationship with Sony (regarding Spider-Man film rights) to their advantage in this regard, in light of SPA's Spider-Verse films. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some creatives within SPA who have some great ideas for, say, an animated Hulk or Iron Man movie or whatever; and would jump at the chance to produce it if Disney/Sony's partnership ever provided such an opportunity.

Well what are they doing for X-Men 97? It's internal and external right? From what I can see it's Marvel Studios Animation with assistance from Studio Mir and Tiger Animation. What's stopping them from doing a movie in collaboration with those studios?

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
OK, I'm in for the Lin-Manuel Miranda songs.

Im out for this reason 😆 I've had enough with the cheesy raps. Scuttlebutt was my limit lol

Also I notice the newer movies changing the lore of the lion king. Mufasa and Scar aren't brothers now apparently.

When mufasa dies in the old version he said "Brother! Help me!" In the New version in the last film was just "help me!" with an emotionless face. Way less impactful.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Well what are they doing for X-Men 97? It's internal and external right? From what I can see it's Marvel Studios Animation with assistance from Studio Mir and Tiger Animation. What's stopping them from doing a movie in collaboration with those studios?

Truthfully, nothing's actually prohibiting Disney from making an animated Marvel feature; not in terms of actual limitations like resources, legalese, or pure physical barriers. Iger and such could certainly order an interior studio or department like WDAS to make an animated Avengers film; or collaborate with an outside animation studio like Mir, Titmouse, DNEG, etc. to get the same exact job done; if they really wanted. The success of films like the aforementioned Big Hero 6 and The Lego Batman Movie (looking across the isle to DC--who while slim on theatrical films, has cultivated a huge library of DTV features) would had certainly made animated Marvel films an idea worth looking into, even before the landmark success of Into the Spider-Verse.

Disney all but certainly could do it; I just suspect the reality is that nobody at Disney in a position of power or clout that can get an animated Marvel film made, is all that invested in the idea. My previous post is really just me examining prologue/past history and their studio/department directives, and thus drawing my conclusions from those results. It admittedly was heavily focused on the works that have been made by their interior studios, but I also can't say there are much --if any-- examples of Disney producing/releasing animated films made outside their own ecosystem as of late either.

There are only four animated movies theatrically-released by Disney, that they didn't (co-)produce internally [WDAS/Pixar/DisneyToon] from the last ten years. The Bob's Burgers Movie (2022), Ron's Gone Wrong (2021), Spies in Disguise (2019), and Strange Magic (2015). All four films are contractual-obligation releases (holdovers that other studios had either completed, or started production on, before they were bought out by the Mouse), and all of those were commercial flops. (Well, we don't actually know if Ron earned under budget, but they never disclosed the budget for that film --which was a COVID-era release-- and Locksmith later jumped ship to Warner Bros. for future film distribution, so...)

Last edited:

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
If Paramount hasn't got a trailer for Sonic 3 good to go alongside IF, either Sega's making them hold off until Sonic's Anniversary in June, or the films getting pushed into 2025.

Y'all forgot about Big Hero 6 already?

cece0021460537.563019ddeae56.jpg

Grossed just a bit under what Across the Spiderverse did in 10 years ago money.
Wow I've never seen this poster, love it

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
This is the kind of movie that almost makes you wanna give up on the medium altogether. Seriously, do we need this? Or are we just getting it because the first one made a billion so now we have to watch as Disney finds ways to be even more dull than the first movie/.

All this pomp and circumstance over fucking Mufasa. Like we're supposed to be interested in seeing this guy's origin at all

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm

baldur%27s-gate-baldur%27s-gate-3.gif

How will Mufasa SCREW Taka out of his royal title?

Buy a ticket for Mufasa, The Lion King, to find out
Actually I thought there was no way this movie could do anything for me, but thinking about it there is one way this movie could interest me, and that's by making Mufasa a Machiavellian jackass

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
So is there is going to be a twist where Mufasa was lost to the tribe near birth and then happens to reintegrate and discover his lineage?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
This looks like ass ngl. It has like the same beats as The Lion King based on the footage lol. Like if you muted it and didn't say the name of the title you'd think it was The Lion King straight up.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Where is scar in all this? Is he the prince? If so wth happened in between

Well this looks more interesting than the first lion king live action at least but honestly that's not really a high bar.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where is scar in all this? Is he the prince? If so wth happened in between

Well this looks more interesting than the first lion king live action at least but honestly that's not really a high bar.

I guess it's spoilers some people haven't tagged in this thread, but I'll hide it just in case. Taka was the name Scar had before he got his Scar.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
"The father/leader figure in original entry who represented stability and legacy to contrast against our hero who initially felt unworthy of that call... actually also wasn't always that super experienced person we know!"

It is the most obvious, most boring way to expand on a story ever, yet also the most reached-for one when economic forces demand that needless expansion.

Obi-Wan wasn't always the level-headed wiseman we know from the original trilogy! Originally he was much more headstrong like Luke, but he had his own level-headed wiseman mentor in Qui-Gon! Geralt's mentor Vesemir was once also a grizzled sex-pest who didn't have all the answers and wasn't seeking students!

You're basically just telling the same story all over again, rather than creating a new story.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't really care for the first. Animated version was much better. Also don't care for the adopted brother retcon. I'll just wait to watch it at home eventually.

Also I know chances are slim but I'm really hoping Sonic 3 somehow outperforms this.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Taka gets screwed by Mufasa.

Unlikely in a children's film.

badumtss-sad.gif

Seriously though. The Lion King is one of my favorite movies all time. It came out months after my father died and the movie is a major memory in my life. I wish this was animated.

I'll probably take the kids to see it anyway. I'm not going to skip it, and hope it's at least better than the last one.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
The issue for me is that the stories are so predictable. What are the odds that mufasa will want to become king? ZERO. I'd bet that they're gonna start talking about him becoming the king and he's gonna be like i dont want to be king bla bla bla but then ends up doing it anyway because he is convinced that him being the king is best for everyone. Can we have one dude for once that is smart enough to see that himself? Can mufasa be like hmmmm maybe i should just try to become king and improve the lifes of everyone. Mufasa doesnt need to be jesus.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to wait for the actual trailer. That teaser told me nothing and gave me nothing to be excited about

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Is Lin Manuel Miranda literally the only guy who can write songs for these types of movies? There has to be someone else.

How is it that different than when Alan Menken did The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Enchanted and Tangled? For a time, Alan Menken was their go to person to handle music.

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
How is it that different than when Alan Menken did The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Enchanted and Tangled? For a time, Alan Menken was their go to person to handle music.
Hell, Miranda isn't even as prolific for them as he's being propped up to be. He did Moana, Encanto, Mary Poppins Returns, and like 2 songs for Little Mermaid. That's it. Hasn't even done as much as the Lopezes.

Jul 17, 2019
Haven't we had enough? Seriously, we have the original film, which still holds up to this day, the sequel to said film, which is one of the few good Disney sequels, and The Lion Guard, which was also of high quality. We could've ended on such a good note, but then we got a soulless live action remake, and now we're getting a prequel to it which looks to be actively retconning stuff. Seriously, I'd prefer Disney be done with The Lion King forever after The Lion Guard than keep it going like this. If they keep this up this series will end up being a husk of its former self. Actually, no, not even that. Rather it will end up as a corpse rotting in the sun for all eternity since no one bothered to dispose of it because they felt it still had value.

Oct 27, 2017