Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I love the animated Mulan and just watched it again like a month ago but this movie looks so bad.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like your average live action Disney film. Soulless. The only good live action remake remains The Jungle Book.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Should have been directed by Zhang Yimou and go full chinese language at this point. He proved with Shadow that he's still got it.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be a hard pass. Maybe would've seen at the theatre for the spectacle. At home for a high price, no thanks

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chris Stuckmann reaffirmed my stance of not supporting the Disney live action remakes. This is a stance I've had since Maleficent and my case has only strengthened since.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Agreed. The original felt like an amalgamation of several one off episodes that didn't connect well, while the movie has a clear throughline and structure to it.

Makes me wish the live action remakes would focus more on admirable animated efforts that didn't quite come together as strongly as they could have, instead of rehashing the greats.

Well, at least Mulan seems like a slightly different approach tonally than Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King.

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
Hollywood hypocrisy at its best. You have a leading actress publicly supported police brutality in Hong Kong and I can't believe still nothing was said and done from the Disney side. I guess money is more important than whatever moral you have.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood hypocrisy at its best. You have a leading actress publicly supported police brutality in Hong Kong and I can't believe still nothing was said and done from the Disney side. I guess money is more important than whatever moral you have.
Oh Disney did something. They made her say "this is a complicated matter and I want to focus on the movie" once they started doing american interviews.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, pretty sad that this doesn't get the outrage that it deserves. You even barely read about it here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can't believe most of that 40% user score actually watched it yet.

After a quick gander, it looks like there's definitely bots and review bombs going on:

IZ4hJzZ.png

Ooops, you copy and pasted the canned response twice there, "Izzie".

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the movie was decent, tons if cliches. Maybe I'm just getting too old for movies like these :p

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
I heard mostly negative about this movie, not like IT SUPER bad but just an adaptation that lacks the joy.

And though one GIF should not represent whole movie, this is still hilarious and bad

Oct 25, 2017
It was the main reason Disney was considering dropping it on D+ before Covid was a remote thought.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw it... holy shit this movie is bad. The pacing is terrible, there's so many awful cliches, they don't draw on anything from the original other than the name. Many of the great moments in the animated version are redone in awful ways.... and
The whole "you have strong chi" thing ruins her character growth because apparently she was born with super warrior powers and none of her work throughout the movie matters

Jul 9, 2019
User Banned (2 Months): Sinophobia; conflating Chinese values with the CCP
Smells like shitty propaganda to appease the CCP. Yeah, sure, follow your dreams, but remember to honor your family and nation.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I take anyone famous from China supporting the government with a grain of salt because there is a pretty good chance their family back home night have a literal gun to their head if they say something bad.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeeah.. Just watched it with my wife last night and its pretty mediocre. Visually its great but the story kind of hollow. The characters are just not interesting and too sterile for a tale about breaking the tradition.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
seems pandemic/VOD was a boon, i couldn't imagine anybody caring about it as much otherwise

all my co-workers are scrambling so their kids can watch this on D+, i can't imagine they'd be blowing however much $ hauling them to the theaters day 1 for Mulan of all things

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
seems pandemic/VOD was a boon, i couldn't imagine anybody caring about it as much otherwise

all my co-workers are scrambling so their kids can watch this on D+, i can't imagine they'd be blowing however much $ hauling them to the theaters day 1 for Mulan of all things

I have several posts on my feed about people watching Mulan, granted most people on My FB have families and kids

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I keep doubting that this was ever destined for theatres. It's real cheap looking.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I take anyone famous from China supporting the government with a grain of salt because there is a pretty good chance their family back home night have a literal gun to their head if they say something bad.
I don't think anyone expected her to be on the side of freedom for HK, but she didn't need to say anything. Fuck her and her shitty views.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Just finished this. I actually... really liked it? There is a lot of wonky editing and green screen work,
but the witch was a GREAT addition to the story.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
The worse thing about this movie was that it looked cheap.

Fight choreography seems to be inspired by taken 3

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
Here is the thing, she did not get the gun pointed to her head to release that statement. Just like LBJ, they can both choose to shut up about it. Yet they both choose to speak foolishly because of the money they can earn from the Chinese market.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unless his voice became incredibly gruff over the years, they did my man Jet Li dirty by dubbing him. I wonder why. Seems kinda disrespectful since his English is fine.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
The script was really terrible, one thing that really stood out to me was that characters' strongly held opinions changed instantly throughout for little to no reason. The visuals were overall pretty good but it also felt like sometimes they just thought throwing every color onto the screen would trick people into thinking it had a striking aesthetic and strong visual identity when it really doesn't.

People are mentioning it felt cheap, and I agree. The movie never achieved any real sense of scale and weight to the conflict.

I also liked some of the action choreography and didn't mind the movie overall as a way to spend two hours with family but yeah this is a pretty bad movie in a lot of ways.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
this is interesting, never seen such a stark divide between reviewers and audience
most times its split
but critics seem to like it a but but all i have seen from audience reactions is utter distaste

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well this is going into the bin along with other live action Disney movies. Yet another meh and forgettable experience. I have an issue constantly comparing these to the cartoon and ultimately wish I'm watching the animated version instead during my viewing. Wish I could put aside my bias but I love the OGs too much.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this was pretty boring and not very good. Felt very Disney channel movie at times.

Aladdin remains their best live action attempt

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And another dud to add along to Lion King.

What a mess of a movie.

Imagine making a live action film that feels far less believable and viable than an animated film with a dragon.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I heard mostly negative about this movie, not like IT SUPER bad but just an adaptation that lacks the joy.

And though one GIF should not represent whole movie, this is still hilarious and bad

I've seen that going around on twitter, and in context with the movie, everything leading up to that makes that last shot make sense.

The movie was fine. It was beautiful, and was a good intro to Wuxia for mainstream. I liked it.