Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think it's terribly important that the Phoenix only be representative of the royal lineage. It's used pretty much ubiquitously across fantasy and even fucking Harry Potter uses it.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Walter Chaw's review is a depressing read:
www.filmfreakcentral.net

Mulan (2020)

½*/**** starring Yifei Liu, Donnie Yen, Jason Scott Lee, Jet Li screenplay by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver and Lauren Hynek & Elizabeth Martin directed by Niki Caro by Walter Chaw You can become an expe...

When I watch things like Niki Caro's Mulan, I see in it the way white Americans see me: accented, mystical, bound, some would say hobbled, by notions of honour, drowned in centuries of arcane history and hipster appropriations of ancient concepts like "chi," for instance, kung fu for another. I am seen, if I am seen, by white Americans as this collection of half-formed impressions and the vague notion of ineffable otherness. Mulan confirms that I am not like you and never will be, and the pain of it makes it difficult for me to watch. When the father (the great 馬泰) of Mulan (刘亦菲) screams at her over dinner one night that it is his duty this and family honour that, I felt the pity you feel for the backwards Chinee, dear friends, and also shame and trauma for that--and for how my father saved that look of disappointment for me when he realized I was rejecting family in favour of the country to which he and my mother had come hoping for a better life for me. What is it to gain the world for your son only to lose him to it?

If you are taking notes, take down the part about how condescending it is to have someone not of your culture lecture you about the failures of your culture without perhaps fully understanding the completeness of the multifoliate failures of your culture. It gets pretty muddy pretty quickly, doesn't it? It's not a minefield so much as sitting on a powder keg and, Bonnie Tyler-like, giving off sparks. While it's wonderful to see these Chinese--and Chinese-American (hello, Jason Scott Lee!)--stars in a major Disney production, it's less wonderful to hear them speaking English and doing lines that are not entirely unlike the lyrics to that ugly Arab ditty that opens both versions of Aladdin. Forcing these guys to do this story in English feels cognitively, perceptually wrong to me. I don't want to say "repugnant," but, yeah, repugnant.

What I'm saying is that everything about this Mulan is ironic accidentally. Whatever its intentions, its execution and the circumstances of its creation are in opposition to them. It's a feminist tract that enforces male notions of value; a call to arms that fights for the wrong side of our current history; and a proud statement of national identity that celebrates the Nation of Disney as opposed to China. It's majestically painful as a representation of how white people view Asians and, yes, it would be different had an Asian person been allowed to direct the film. The solution is not now and never was for white people to hire consultants to understand Asianness better--it is to place Asians in positions of real decision-making and creative power.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
??? What western twist? They just tried to copy the Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon or Shadow (2018) style and failed

I'm just repeating (poorly) what the behind the scenes video said. It was really strange.

I found the video and they say a "Western context".

https://twitter.com/chococow280/status/1302119770775412737?s=21

To me it sounds like they were definitely inspired by other wuxia films, but they wanted to push a Western sensibility onto it which...yeah, failed lol

They make it seem like the stunt coordinator was doing something revolutionary "making a new language" as though nobody ever brought Chinese action film stunt techniques into western action films before.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Just watched this and what the hell? I'm ethnic Chinese so I'm pretty well versed in Chinese history, fable and this Mulan is like what westerners 'think' what a Chinese wuxia movie is supposed to be. The 'chinese'-ness in this movie is only in appearance.....the 'spirit' is totally wrong.

It reminds me of 'the last emperor', it's a great movie artistically but it's so 'un-chinese' that it almost made me fume when I'm watching it.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I don't think it's terribly important that the Phoenix only be representative of the royal lineage. It's used pretty much ubiquitously across fantasy and even fucking Harry Potter uses it.
A western phoenix (which is rooted in Greek mythology) is not a Chinese fenghuang just like a western dragon is different from a Chinese long. They symbolize different things and are used differently within mythology, and conflating their symbolism is, frankly speaking, western appropriation and disregard for other cultures.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I wonder why there seems to be a disconnect between critics and audiences on this one.

With something like Star Wars I get because it has such a long-lived and entrenched fanbase.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched this last night. I actually really enjoyed it. Though I was hoping to hear Eddie Murphy at some point and was somewhat disappointed at that!

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out how this reviewed well with critics.
I honestly think part of the critic's general sympathy towards Disney product is in a lot of ways thanks to the narrative the studio is able to create before the film is even out. They have a woman director, they (in surface at least) are respecting chinese culture, the casting fits the part, and the moral of the story is a universally nice one and relevant enough for everyone in critic circles to rally behind. There are seemingly no faux pas in the lead up to the movie's release, it's seen has a positive force in the world and thus reviewed with perhaps more leniancy than another movie would. In a way, the safe choices made in pre production influence the scores more than the movie itself. The movie just has to be generally fine enough to then have positive reviews. And no, I don't think the HK protest story is a negative one when it comes to critics, I'd even argue popular hate amongst keyboard warrior sometimes lead the critics to be in defensive mode, to push back against those types and go in the movie's favor. Like how a lot of critics of the new Ghostbuster movie had the same positive narrative of "sorry losers the movie is actually fine".

An example of the contrary would be Joker. This is an example of a movie with a messy lead up, with a director critics generally don't like, and with the message being seen generally as negative and not something to rally behind. And so, despite the movie being fine enough, the pendulum swings the other way, into negative critics teritory. (To be clear I'm not for Joker and against Disney, I hated that movie)

So what Disney is especially good at is create positive narrative behind their films before they're out, and this positivity carries it to a good enough score with critics despite maybe some wonky quality with the product itself.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please not peddle conspiracy theories about critics being influenced/payed off?

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can we please not peddle conspiracy theories about critics being influenced/payed off?

Lol it was a poor post on my end. I used to review Disney films so...I never got paid but I can say I was afforded opportunities by the studio that I wouldn't have without Disney's money and influence. And I wasn't even a big-time reviewer or anything. I can't imagine what kind of deals Disney has with various press outlets, but I will say that I don't think every review is honest and unbiased. There is already a bias when you want to maintain a good relationship with a studio.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just repeating (poorly) what the behind the scenes video said. It was really strange.

I found the video and they say a "Western context".

https://twitter.com/chococow280/status/1302119770775412737?s=21

To me it sounds like they were definitely inspired by other wuxia films, but they wanted to push a Western sensibility onto it which...yeah, failed lol

They make it seem like the stunt coordinator was doing something revolutionary "making a new language" as though nobody ever brought Chinese action film stunt techniques into western action films before.
Oh that doomed to fail, because if I understand correctly wuxia style fighting involves long weeks even months of preparation even wit Actors who spent years of training in Chinese opera. Hollywood system allows months of preparation only if it involves Environment effects.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Idk, even though the editing is all over the place and it feels rushed, I think it is actually the best Disney remake so far. Not that it had a high bar to clear to begin with. But I like China and cultures from east Asia in general so I'm kinda biased. I'd give it 5 or 6 out of 10.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I wonder why there seems to be a disconnect between critics and audiences on this one.

With something like Star Wars I get because it has such a long-lived and entrenched fanbase.

The original has a very vocal fanbase when it comes to the songs - every thread about this remake has had people complaining about the lack of them. Not as long-lived as Star Wars, but there's a definite section of the fanbase which was never going to like this once Disney made the choice to not have musical numbers.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
This movie was really bad...It blows my mind that with the budged they had it feels cheaper than Croching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2, and that one is a cheap Netflix production. Everything about this movie is bad, the worst offender being the way it's edited. There are a couple of scenes where Mulan literally teleports around, the fights are boring and lifeless, the acting is bad, the script is awful. Also the original's epilogue is really good, in this one even that didn't feel right.

This era of Disney's live action classic is truly the worst, can't explain why.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
This movie was really bad...It blows my mind that with the budged they had it feels cheaper than Croching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2, and that one is a cheap Netflix production. Everything about this movie is bad, the worst offender being the way it's edited. There are a couple of scenes where Mulan literally teleports around, the fights are boring and lifeless, the acting is bad, the script is awful. Also the original's epilogue is really good, in this one even that didn't feel right.

This era of Disney's live action classic is truly the worst, can't explain why.

Wasn't the epilogue of the original just basically "Disney Prince comes to whisk the Disney Princess away"? I always felt it was jarring that a film about how a woman can be as good as a man ends in such a traditional way, so to me the new ending is way better.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Wasn't the epilogue of the original just basically "Disney Prince comes to whisk the Disney Princess away"? I always felt it was jarring that a film about how a woman can be as good as a man ends in such a traditional way, so to me the new ending is way better.

Well I meant the events in the Royal Palace with the emperor giving her the medal of honor and all of China bowing down to her. Even the meeting with her father when she gives him the sword and the medal and he throws them away was more impactful. The prince scene is kinda subtle though, nothing happens he just comes there and they chat while one of the old women asks him "wanna stay forever?" so yeah I don't see it as the classic Disney prince that gets the princess

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched it with the missus and kid last night and we all loved it, it's a surprisingly good remake!

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
A western phoenix (which is rooted in Greek mythology) is not a Chinese fenghuang just like a western dragon is different from a Chinese long. They symbolize different things and are used differently within mythology, and conflating their symbolism is, frankly speaking, western appropriation and disregard for other cultures.
I see your point. Having read up on the fenghuang, it would seem it represents multiple things including the marriage of Yin and Yang, husband and wife, and divine power given to the Empress. I guess my thoughts on that are that Mushu wasn't exactly a 1 for 1 copy paste of the chinese dragon either, unless we are counting it as a symbol of good luck, which the Phoenix also is. I'm just happy to see more asian representation at all. Yeah I do think the production team should ideally have been Chinese, but big screen representation on this level is so rare for Asian-Americans that I can't bring myself to hate it. It isn't literally yellowface for one. I guess that's how low the bar is.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
First of all, I appreciate that Disney tries to do something different with the plot akin to The Jungle Book as opposed to Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. It would at least have given the film the chance to stand out.

Unfortunately, this ain't it chief.

As someone who was excited to finally see wuxia style fight scenes from Hollywood, this was a confusing mix of rapid cuts and poor choreography. There's one scene where you have to wonder how Mulan got to where she was so quickly and avoided everything else to save someone. It's pretty damning that the cartoon you're copying is easier to follow.

The acting isn't anything to write home about and it's compounded by a dour script that seems too afraid to lighten up too much like the cartoon.

It seemed like they were going somewhere with giving the villain more layers, but that's brushed completely aside in the end.

Killing of the redemptive villain is getting tiring at this. It was even avoidable at this point. Couldn't she have just joined up with Mulan in a team up? At least Cricket survived thank God. And... does the phoenix work so that only Mulan see it?

It's overall theme isn't muddled and it does do things different either some sort of cleverness. This saves it from being compared to Lion King. But it pales in comparison to the movie, where it's biggest moments simply blow it out of the water. It's unique, but its mediocrity adds it to the list of unnecessary takes of a Disney classic. 5.5/10

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
This is dumb but you can tell right away Mulan is a girl when she enters the camp, they don't even try and hide it. :/

Vakuf

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know my boy Jason Scott lee was in this. I enjoyed the film🤷‍♂️

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it and it's not very good, it's theme are not subtle and action scenes are choppy and the pacing is rough. I will say that some of the scenes are beauiful and when the movie is trying for a more serious tone it works.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My wife and kids loved it. It is their favorite disney live action remake by a huge margin.

I thiught it was fine. I'm not really super into it though.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
anyone knows if there is going to be a chinese language spoken version of this movie?
i just think it's gonna feel weird watching this in english

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
anyone knows if there is going to be a chinese language spoken version of this movie?
i just think it's gonna feel weird watching this in english

same...a chinese like me watching a movie about a chinese fable set in a chinese settings starring chinese actors speaking english is just..............wrong.

The last time i felt this 'wrong' in a movie is when i was watching the original english dub version of 'the last emperor'.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
To date, the only decent one of these have been Cinderella. Mulan didn't change that. Movie never developed its script past the outline stage.

I'd put it better than Lion King and BATB, but not as good as JB or Cinderella.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked it reviewed as well as it has. My wife and I just got done watching it with my family and we both thought it was horrible. Completely inferior to the animated version in all elements it takes from it, and the new content isn't well done at all. Felt like the movie tripped over its intended themes constantly.

Also, I wasn't sure who directed the movie but I am absolutely not surprised at all to learn the director, screenwriters, and producers were all white.

Her CHIIIIIIIIIIIII

orientalist trash 🗑️

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Even if the audio is in Cantonese, I don't think it will sound as good as a movie like Parasite, since the Chinese accent of all the actors is all over the country. It will be even more jarring when Mulan, and her family speaking like 3-4 different China accent lmao.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Watched and it was pretty bad .... Entirely unforgettable, bland characters and felt completely soulless.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at the hateful reaction (in which I detect some distinct tripping over one another). As far as Disney remakes go, I found it one of their better efforts. Very well shot and avoided that ugly digital sheen others like Dumbo and Maleficent have had. Some mixed pacing and effects work (unfortunately including the climax), and some dodgy exposition/theme work in the script, but while the cartoon is certainly better it's a solid film. Compared to tripe like their BATB or Dumbo remakes I enjoyed it solidly. Perhaps it helps that I've only seen the cartoon once and years ago.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disney is lucky that has Kevin Feige doing their Marvel movies because the rest are really bad

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I see your point. Having read up on the fenghuang, it would seem it represents multiple things including the marriage of Yin and Yang, husband and wife, and divine power given to the Empress. I guess my thoughts on that are that Mushu wasn't exactly a 1 for 1 copy paste of the chinese dragon either, unless we are counting it as a symbol of good luck, which the Phoenix also is. I'm just happy to see more asian representation at all. Yeah I do think the production team should ideally have been Chinese, but big screen representation on this level is so rare for Asian-Americans that I can't bring myself to hate it. It isn't literally yellowface for one. I guess that's how low the bar is.
It's definitely a very low bar, which is unfortunate. You would think after Black Panther that the bar for using other ethnic cultures as the base for your movie would be higher.

It's nice to see that a lot of Asians online agree as well. There's some decent backlash. Probably not enough to matter though.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it. I grew up watching ancient Chinese era movies, and this was an attempt at an imitation at best. So many scenes were so awkward like the tea scene with the match maker. It felt like the people involved in the production really wanted to make a game of throne movie instead down to the night's watch attire. The climax fight was so weak. Besides the main heroine, I enjoyed the rest of the casting at least.