Alvaro

Feb 13, 2019
$5 is my limit for digital movies. Not really interested in this movie, so no big loss.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's the breakeven point for Mulan?

Disney reported having 60+million subs.

So if half of them buy Mulan for $30, it could get them $900+million in revenue.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about this the less sense it makes to me. Why don't Disney just hold all their big movies until cinemas open back up. It's not like the movies have an expiry date on them.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's a long-term rental. You can't call it a purchase if it's only active while you're a subscriber.

So if half of them buy Mulan for $30, it could get them $900+million in revenue.
Tracking for the film never topped $200m in the US. Given that they won't have to share revenue, anything over say $120m from this will be more than they would have likely made from the box office in the US. Pretty amazing really.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about this the less sense it makes to me. Why don't Disney just hold all their big movies until cinemas open back up. It's not like the movies have an expiry date on them.

Because any company needs a decent cash-flow. And currently Disney has most of their income sources on hold or heavily reduced.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they will do it with Widow too. It sucks because Black Widow finally got a solo movie after a decade that deserves the big screen, but I can't picture them holding out another year.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nicer if this went into movies anywhere. I liked what they did with Trolls 2, but my kids got confused when they couldn't watch it again a few days later. Not sure I will be up for a rental anytime soon, and hate the idea of being tied to a subscription service... but then we probably would have spent the money in a theater.

The thing is, this is better than what they did with Trolls 2 for that situation. This is like a 6 month rental with unlimited access for just $10 more than what you paid for Trolls 2.

Don't tell me it's a purchase if I gotta stay subscribed to keep it. It's a rental.

Disney isn't calling this a purchase. The thread title really needs to be changed.

this is going to just be part of D+ a few months after release anyway so why would i pay for such a limited purchase?

To gain access to it for 6 months before it hits Disney+ normally. It's the same reason you pay to watch a movie in a theater when you also pay for a streaming service that it will end up on. You could wait to watch it on that streaming service eventually or you could pay to watch it now on top of what you pay for your streaming service.

I think under normal conditions, it's 2.5 times the budget. I think Mulan has a budget of $200 million, so $500 million is probably the break even point once you account for marketing and other factors. The marketing dollars probably aren't as high given the situation so I wonder what the real break even point is for Mulan.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Stuff like this makes me think of cancelling my subscription. It does not bode well for future content :(. I really hope this flops now, so that it doesn't become the norm!

Pay + Pay per month.... smh.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
The thing is, this is better than what they did with Trolls 2 for that situation. This is like a 6 month rental with unlimited access for just $10 more than what you paid for Trolls 2.

Totally agree, for some reason there are mental blocks that cause me to immediately react negatively to some of these announcements. I will probably come around, just wish it wasn't tied to D+ (even though I will probably have the service for years).

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City

Because movies need time as "the new interesting thing" during their releases to make money, and movie studios have years of planning and scheduling going on to maintain a consistent schedule. Pushing back movies screws up the entire schedule for releasing movies that they have planned and it costs studios money to either reschedule film production, releases, marketing, etc, etc, etc.

It is a far more complicated process than just "release it later no big deal".

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I just requested the title to be changed to be more clear. It's not a traditional rental like Trolls World Tour that only lasted 48 hour but you still need to be a Disney+ subscriber to continue watching it until the film is presumably played on the service for everyone.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I just requested the title to be changed to be more clear. It's not a traditional rental like Trolls World Tour that only lasted 48 hour but you still need to be a Disney+ subscriber to continue watching it until the film is presumably played on the service for everyone.

Much more accurate. I feel like there were MORE negative comments when people found that out, versus just being a one-time rental for unassumingly 48 hrs or whatever.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait it out until it appears in the service normally Which will probably be under 6 months from release

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I need to pay 5€ (or more) per month to access a movie I paid 30€ for? Wtf is this? Look at Apple or Amazon, its not that hard.

It's not a purchase. It's more like early access/extended rental.

Much more accurate. I feel like there were MORE negative comments when people found that out, versus just being a one-time rental for unassumingly 48 hrs or whatever.

I dunno, it's still not totally accurate. I really think we should be calling this early access because the thread title implies you won't get it on Disney+ without paying.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's not a purchase. It's more like early access/extended rental.

I dunno, it's still not totally accurate. I really think we should be calling this early access because the thread title implies you won't get it on Disney+ without paying.

that's a given because all news films end up under the Disney+ subscription. also I think we ran out of characters in the title because it cut off the end lmao

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
that's a given because all news films end up under the Disney+ subscription. also I think we ran out of characters in the title because it cut off the end lmao

Given how hard it is for people to grasp this, I'm not so sure it's a given. =)

It can certainly be shortened. Just say (UPDATE: the fee provides early access to the film) or something like that.

Oct 25, 2017
1. Disney needs cash flow asap
2. Disney already spent like 90% of the marketing budget with zero return on it and would need to spend the money again for the new release
3. No telling when it could open back up, and if it did who says theaters do even 50% of their previous numbers
4. Disney was already unsure of this movie and had discussions about doing this long before covid shut theaters down. Disney had 2 major concerns
- that the movie was far too different from the animated one for Western audiences
- general sentiment against China was on the rise including the actress comments about the HK protests

This was a hard choice being thought about for nearly a year that just kept getting thrown onto,

Black Widow will be an infinitely harder decision.
If Mulan works very well and Covid isn't looking to be completely gone by Summer 2021 from a November standpoint, they'll probably do it again and push Widow as a Thanksgiving or Christmas family viewing event at home.

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
1. Disney needs cash flow asap
2. Disney already spent like 90% of the marketing budget with zero return on it and would need to spend the money again for the new release
3. No telling when it could open back up, and if it did who says theaters do even 50% of their previous numbers
4. Disney was already unsure of this movie and had discussions about doing this long before covid shut theaters down. Disney had 2 major concerns
- that the movie was far too different from the animated one for Western audiences
- general sentiment against China was on the rise including the actress comments about the HK protests
Yeah it's not like they can just stop for two years.

Good chance too if it got released later it'd get lost in the shuffle amidst other movies that they're presumably still working on.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
This is fucking stupid. If you're going to charge $30.00 then they may as well put it up for sale on all streaming storefronts just like all those other movies that couldn't get into theaters. This sets a shitty precedent for a service that's already starved for content.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think under normal conditions, it's 2.5 times the budget. I think Mulan has a budget of $200 million, so $500 million is probably the break even point once you account for marketing and other factors. The marketing dollars probably aren't as high given the situation so I wonder what the real break even point is for Mulan.
That requirement is also due to revenue sharing with theaters (around 45% goes to the theater). I imagine since they'll just tack this on as an "add-on" to your subscription fee, they can probably get around Apple, Amazon, etc. taking a cut of the proceeds, but even if they do, they'll be taking less than theaters would. Given the relatively tepid box office tracking for this all the way up until around the original release (it was expected to do $175-200m), Disney will undoubtedly come out ahead on the US take from Mulan with this strategy.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
so you pay $30 but you lose access if your disney+ sub ends...seems silly to me.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
Hmm, seems about what I would spend if I were to watch it at the cinema, and I wouldn't get to 'own it' either.

Sure, my TV is a bit smaller than the cinema screen but you know, global pandemic.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
so you pay $30 but you lose access if your disney+ sub ends...seems silly to me.
It's like seeing it in theaters but also paying a monthly fee to rewatch it anytime for free. How good the deal is depends on how many people are splitting the rental fee and I guess whether it's good enough that you'd want to rewatch it

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
$30 to have access to it as long as you keep subbing to D+? Yeah no, fuck that.

It's really crazy that they include that stipulation. There should be two sections of the app-streaming and purchased movies. If you have a subscription you can watch streaming content. The other section has movies you can watch if they've been purchased regardless of your sub.

And actually now that I'm thinking about this -maybe the reason they are doing it this way is to get around some App Store loophole with Apple that conflicts with the iTunes Store.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they aren't gauging the success of this for Black Widow's chances because I really don't want to support the Mulan movie.

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
20waxo.jpg

Another case of getting fucked as a customer.

People will pirating the shit out of this day 1 in the best quality available and can keep it forever.

Paying customers are literally renting it for 30 dollar +

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
This is fucking stupid. If you're going to charge $30.00 then they may as well put it up for sale on all streaming storefronts just like all those other movies that couldn't get into theaters. This sets a shitty precedent for a service that's already starved for content.
the whole point is disney will take pretty much every cent of that 30 bucks+sub, which is insane. it is shitty, but if this succeeds, i bet Tenet will only be on HBO Max so WB can maximize profits

i wonder if they do have to pay theatres something though to break out of the contract, it's playing in theatres supposedly in September, but i doubt AMC and them were fine with them debuting on VOD without some compensation

Oct 27, 2017
If I need to buy it for early access digitally, I'd rather do it through vudu so that I own it, not have it be unavailable if unsubscribe.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Someone asked about New Mutants, I don't think they can release it digital first unless they do so on HBO Max.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
doesn't seem like a bad deal to me, $30 lets you watch it soon. Eventually it will be on Disney plus for the normal fee, you are just paying to jump ahead.

I spend way more then $30 to see a movie in the theater and I can only watch it one time.

Mulan isn't a movie I would get but the concept is fine with me.