• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
In my eyes, there's nothing to deduct. Yesterday, Microsoft flat out said nothing was changing. That's what I'll stick by unless they suddenly backpedal within a 24-hour period (which isn't impossible but, again, Highly HIGHLY unlikely).
Don't even think it says "soon". Straight up just not changing.

None of this says no changes are coming to Xbox Live Gold, that other thread's title is misleading.

Microsoft clarified that its terms of service update didn't relate to changes to Xbox Live Gold, and did so using the present continuous tense which is used to talk about things that are happening in the present.

There was also a quote given to Tom Warren saying that there were no plans to discontinue XLG, but which doesn't rule out it becoming free.

Gold could become free tomorrow without contradicting either of these statements.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What?

The quote literally contains the following:

"There are no changes being made to the experience of the service or Xbox Live Gold," a Microsoft spokesperson has told us.

Edit: beaten.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone calm down, they announced a free multiplayer weekend a couple of weeks ago.

news.xbox.com

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Summer Mode - Xbox Wire

Welcome to Summer Mode (and for those of you not in Summer, enjoy the fun without the heat)! The only thing better than setting aside some time to really dig into gaming, is to get more rewards, more points and more fun with your friends while doing so. For the next 8 weeks, Xbox Game […]

Lol

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
The direct quote is that "There are no changes being made to the experience of the service or Xbox Live Gold." Spin that however you want to.
What?

The quote literally contains the following:

"There are no changes being made to the experience of the service or Xbox Live Gold," a Microsoft spokesperson has told us.

Edit: beaten.

The full quote is:

The update to 'Xbox online service' in the Microsoft Services Agreement refers to the underlying Xbox service that includes features like cross-saves and friend requests. This language update is intended to distinguish that underlying service, and the paid Xbox Live Gold subscription. There are no changes being made to the experience of the service or Xbox Live Gold.

The context is entirely about the TOS update, the no changes are in relation to the TOS update. This statement says the TOS change isn't changing anything relating to Live, that's all.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
The full quote is:

The context is entirely about the TOS update, the no changes are in relation to the TOS update. This statement says the TOS change isn't changing anything relating to Live, that's all.
I mean, did you miss the rest of it?

"This language update is intended to distinguish that underlying service, and the paid Xbox Live Gold subscription. There are no changes being made to the experience of the service or Xbox Live Gold".

How much clearer do they have to be? And never mind that, as many of us suspected, it looks like this is just a weekend thing anyway.

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
People saying free weekend...on Wednesday night? Unless it starts at 12:00 A.M. Thursday I'd say

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I mean, did you miss the rest of it?

"This language update is intended to distinguish that underlying service, and the paid Xbox Live Gold subscription. There are no changes being made to the experience of the service or Xbox Live Gold".

Did I miss the bit that was included in my quote? No, I didn't.

Out of context, that statement can be read as saying that no changes will ever happen, but context is important.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Did I miss the bit that was included in my quote? No, I didn't.

Out of context, that statement can be read as saying that no changes will ever happen, but context is important.
Straight from VGC (Microsoft's reply was to this)...

"On Wednesday VGC reached out to Microsoft for an explanation for the services agreement changes and asked if they indicated the company was planning to discontinue Xbox Live Gold".

Context: LIVE ain't going anywhere.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone calm down, they announced a free multiplayer weekend a couple of weeks ago.

news.xbox.com

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Summer Mode - Xbox Wire

Welcome to Summer Mode (and for those of you not in Summer, enjoy the fun without the heat)! The only thing better than setting aside some time to really dig into gaming, is to get more rewards, more points and more fun with your friends while doing so. For the next 8 weeks, Xbox Game […]
Heh

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Straight from VGC (Microsoft's reply was to this)...

"On Wednesday VGC reached out to Microsoft for an explanation for the services agreement changes and asked if they indicated the company was planning to discontinue Xbox Live Gold".

Context: LIVE ain't going anywhere.

Kind of weird that they decided to answer specifically that it wasn't being discontinued rather than clarifying that there weren't any changes coming at all if that's what they were trying to tell us in the first place, no?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
www.xbox.com

Join Xbox Game Pass: Discover Your Next Favourite Game | Xbox

Join Xbox Game Pass to enjoy access to over 100 games.

Was this posted?

Edit: Source Daniel on XboxEra

BIG GAMING WEEKEND
06/08/20 – 10/08/20

This weekend, everyone plays! Anybody can enjoy free access to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare multiplayer, Borderlands 3, DRAGON BALL FIGHTERZ and Black Desert on their consoles this weekend. Plus, on PC or console, enjoy free access to Gears 5, Subnautica or ARK: Survival Evolved. Your friends don't have Xbox Live Gold? Not a problem, this weekend everyone can play multiplayer and battle it out online. Your friends don't have Xbox Game Pass? This weekend everyone gets a taste of Xbox Game Pass with Monster Hunter World, ARK: Survival Evolved, Gears 5, Elder Scrolls Online, Subnautica and Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker, that are free to play.
We mean it. This weekend, Everyone Plays.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Kind of weird that they decided to answer specifically that it wasn't being discontinued rather than clarifying that there weren't any changes coming at all if that's what they were trying to tell us in the first place, no?
Um, no? Nothing weird at all. They straight up say LIVE isn't going away. Verbatim.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
To clarify, I don't know that Live is going free, or changing to allow f2p games, or not changing at all, I just disagree that the statements we've had rule out any changes at all.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
They should still make F2P games like Fortnite and Apex not require a subscription to play. That's how it works on PS4 and that's how it should work on every console.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
www.xbox.com

Was this posted?

BIG GAMING WEEKEND
06/08/20 – 10/08/20

This weekend, everyone plays! Anybody can enjoy free access to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare multiplayer, Borderlands 3, DRAGON BALL FIGHTERZ and Black Desert on their consoles this weekend. Plus, on PC or console, enjoy free access to Gears 5, Subnautica or ARK: Survival Evolved. Your friends don't have Xbox Live Gold? Not a problem, this weekend everyone can play multiplayer and battle it out online. Your friends don't have Xbox Game Pass? This weekend everyone gets a taste of Xbox Game Pass with Monster Hunter World, ARK: Survival Evolved, Gears 5, Elder Scrolls Online, Subnautica and Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker, that are free to play.

LMAO!

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunate timing sending everyone's hearts aflutter, but you can't just flip a $1bn switch. Well, you can, but you then just flip it back again after a fun weekend.

Doesn't mean the dream isn't dead, just means this isn't it.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
To the people saying MS is shit for introducing online MP: Yes they deserve the criticism for it. While i would say in the OG xbox days, charging for it to set up those services might have been ok, there is no excuse from the 360 days onwards really. However, they should also be praised for being the first of the big 3 that have implemented it to leave the space too.

I think the real reason Gold is still around, is because Sony couldn't beat Microsoft at the online game.

Sony didn't charge for online play during the PS3 days.. but their service wasn't in the same league as Xbox Live. If PS Online was as good as Xbox Live during that time, and worked as seamlessly and easily as Xbox Live, then Microsoft would have been forced to drop the Gold paywall years ago.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
My xbox live gold membership is up on 13th August and my accounts still says that a payment of £49.99 will be taken from my credit card on that date.

OP
OP
Guerrilla

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
www.xbox.com

Was this posted?

BIG GAMING WEEKEND
06/08/20 – 10/08/20

Yep this seems to be it, edited the op

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
lol, ok so it's a free weekend then. (I should really read through a thread before posting).