• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Crossposting from the general thread, more info from the famitsu interview, didn't get everything because it's very long but it has the most important stuff I think:
so... there are controllable party members then, just not full control. This sounds like the Pawn system from DD.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
I sort of wondered if this was the direction they were taking it. Just felt like they were way too powerful on the battlefield and could easily wipe the floor with ground forces. Why wouldn't they just use the dominant every time? Well, if their power could quite literally destroy the world, that would be one reason never to use it.

Consider how Yoshi-P defines them, as nuclear weapons or weapons of mass destruction, that definition inmediately gives you the idea that the nations don't make them fight because that may very well mean the destrucion of all nations or, at the very least, a political shitshow of epic proportions.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
AI party members is completely fine. KH is the same way and is one of the GOATs in terms of a satisfying battle system.

Also interesting to hear that we'll be following Clive into his 30s. Not surprising after XIV tho tbh. Oldest FF protag?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi-P says Dengeki some characters may be playable but for small portions of the story. He also says that his friends will be replaced int he course of the story and also have important conversations.

He also says that '"bonds between people" is the theme he wants to deliver through the story (DeepL translation though)

Yeah, they're gonna do it all. Holy hell.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
of all people to assume the worst in, assuming the worst in Suzuki and Yoshi P LOL
Friend, I love Final Fantasy XIV. I play it mostly every day, it's gotten me through some tough times, it's gotten tears out of me consistently, it gives me so much joy to play and revisit.

The people behind the game are not magically infallible. They've stumbled and made decisions that are questionable (subjective, of course, but everything is) If we don't like the things they show and the things they say, and are not 100% on board with everything (due to a multitude of reasons such as company culture, knowledge about previous works, etc.), it's perfectly valid to assume negatives.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic. I want to see the battle system in action with AI party members. The implementation of the AI could make or break the battle system. AI in RPGs varies wildly in effectiveness. The open zone is great however.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Friend, I love Final Fantasy XIV. I play it mostly every day, it's gotten me through some tough times, it's gotten tears out of me consistently, it gives me so much joy to play and revisit.

The people behind the game are not magically infallible. They've stumbled and made decisions that are questionable (subjective, of course, but everything is) If we don't like the things they show and the things they say, and are not 100% on board with everything (due to a multitude of reasons such as company culture, knowledge about previous works, etc.), it's perfectly valid to assume negatives.
read the assumption the original post made. "I'm expecting QTE in those moments." That's OK to say, but me saying that my expectations are different based on the people working on the game is worth this post lol?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I have like 0 expectations for the game. Not keen to do DMC combat for 50 - 100 hours either as opposed to 10-15 in actual DMC game.

Will wait for reviews and see I guess. Still, kind of disappointed so far. I am looking toward FFVIIR Episode 2 instead :(.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
AI party members is completely fine. KH is the same way and is one of the GOATs in terms of a satisfying battle system.

Also interesting to hear that we'll be following Clive into his 30s. Not surprising after XIV tho tbh. Oldest FF protag?

Probably the oldest though
Noctis is 30 by the end of the game

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
so... there are controllable party members then, just not full control. This sounds like the Pawn system from DD.
He implied in another interview that the dog will be (partially) controllable so I guess you'll have pets that always stay with you, each has its own function and you capture them etc. While human characters will come and go and won't be controllable outside of specific situations.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts is a direct counter-example to this, no? And Yoshida specifically says in one of these interviews the KH team was very helpful in providing advice on action combat?

I'll be honest, until we get a playable demo, I'm going to remain intensely skeptical that the combat won't feel like every other AAA action RPG out there.

So just like turn-based rpgs?

Turn based RPGs don't ask the player to consistently be "on" and never make a single mistake for 15 straight minutes. Like fuck, devs, you realize people's HANDS get tired the older they get, right?

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
He implied in another interview that the dog will be controllable so I guess you'll have pets that always stay with you, each has its own function and you capture them etc. While human characters will come and go and won't be controllable outside of specific situations.
The thing about the pets is an interesting idea, but is that just your assumption? From what I read, the dog is just one member of your permanent party that is like that, not that necessarily every member of your party will be a pet.

The idea you came up with sounds awesome though lol

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Our interview is live here too:
press-start.com.au

Final Fantasy XVI Interview: The Legendary Naoki Yoshida Speaks About Final Fantasy XVI's World, Combat And Fearsome Eikons

Final Fantasy XVI Interview: The Legendary Naoki Yoshida Speaks About Final Fantasy XVI's World, Combat And Fearsome Eikons

Breakout pieces:
press-start.com.au

Final Fantasy XVI Will Let Players Respec Their Unlocked Skills At Any Time

Final Fantasy XVI Will Let Players Respec Their Unlocked Skills At Any Time

press-start.com.au

You Won't Be Summoning Final Fantasy XVI's Eikons, You'll Be Transforming Into Them

You Won't Be Summoning Final Fantasy XVI's Eikons, You'll Be Transforming Into Them

press-start.com.au

Yoshi-P Came Up With Final Fantasy XVI's Big Eikon Battles After Fighting Crowds At Tokyo Game Show

Yoshi-P Came Up With Final Fantasy XVI's Big Eikon Battles After Fighting Crowds At Tokyo Game Show

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
That WaPo interview reveals some crazy tidbits.

"The Kingdom Hearts team at Square Enix has been especially helpful in contributing to those real-time combat and boss battles," Yoshida said. "It can be said that the battles in 'FFXVI' are in some ways a culmination of the company's past experiences."

"Fighting won't be a solo experience, contrary to how it appears in the trailer. The main character, Clive, will be accompanied by several AI-controlled party members who will banter and connect throughout the game, similar to past Final Fantasy games. Yoshida also teases that there will be a "faithful buddy" that Clive can give specific commands to during the combat, despite the majority of player control focusing on Clive."
Better be my man / most powerful FF character Donald Duck.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I'll be honest, until we get a playable demo, I'm going to remain intensely skeptical that the combat won't feel like every other AAA action RPG out there.

Turn based RPGs don't ask the player to consistently be "on" and never make a single mistake for 15 straight minutes. Like fuck, devs, you realize people's HANDS get tired the older they get, right?

The ATB system doesnt let you sit not doing anything for minutes at a time either, you have to be on.

You complaining about having to pay attention and use your hands sounds just like Tabata justifying just holding the button to attack in XV lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I Bet they will have difficulty options?

Most action RPGs have "normal mode" where enemies take a billion hits to kill and then an "easy mode" where the game plays itself. Tales of Arise's Easy Mode is exactly the same as normal mode, only enemies have slightly less max HP.

None of them actually have good difficulty balancing.

PhillyPaw

Banned
Apr 11, 2021

Can you share some examples of fights that's taken you 15 minutes?

AIan

Oct 20, 2019

There will be a story mode that makes it easier (a range of accessories will equip with varying effects that ease the gameplay and can be activated/turned off whenever)

game.watch.impress.co.jp

「ファイナルファンタジーXVI」吉田直樹プロデューサーインタビュー 振り切る代わりに超濃厚な体験を。吉田組がフルパワーで作るワンコンセプトの「FF」

スクウェア・エニックスから2023年夏に発売予定のプレイステーション 5「ファイナルファンタジーXVI」(以下、「FFXVI」)。先日公開された第二弾トレーラーでは「召喚獣大戦」というワードも飛び出し、大きな話題を呼んだ。

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Antagonistic behavior towards another member
Guys don't feed the obvious troll lol.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The thing about the pets is an interesting idea, but is that just your assumption? From what I read, the dog is just one member of your permanent party that is like that, not that necessarily every member of your party will be a pet.

The idea you came up with sounds awesome though lol
Yeah it's my assumption, but the fact that there's this specific system and he talks about it in addition to the story related companions makes me think that something like this is a bit likely. I could be wrong of course, but would be cool to be able to capture a mob and it helps you in battle.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Yep this is sounding DMC as hell.

I'm loving all of it

giphy.gif

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
figured Yoshi P basically confirming a DD Pawn-like system would make bigger ripples in this thread. is it cuz it was the last post on the page before this lol?

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
figured Yoshi P basically confirming a DD Pawn-like system would make bigger ripples in this thread. is it cuz it was the last post on the page before this lol?
I don't think it's an actual pawn system since the WaPo article mentions there being only one specific buddy that was mentioned in that fashion and there being only one would fit with the concept art we've seen of the game.

(Specifically the concept art that always showed Clive with a small dragon next to him in various locales. Presumably that is the buddy in question.)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Can you share some examples of fights that's taken you 15 minutes?

In FFVII Remake: Hell House, the Arsenal, Ghoul, most of the summon VR battles
In Tales of Arise: literally every main storyline boss up to the end of the third kingdom where I quit the game.

At least one Scarlet Nexus boss also lingered that long before I got sick of that game and deleted it, as well. The whole "boss has super armor and a billion HP and can kill you super quickly" trope is alarmingly common in modern action RPGs. Only Yakuza (well, Judgment now, I guess) and KH don't fall victim to it.

Did he really confirm something that specific, or are people just interpreting interviews in different ways?

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I don't think it's an actual pawn system since the WaPo article mentions there being only one specific buddy that was mentioned in that fashion and there being only one would fit with the concept art we've seen of the game.

(Specifically the concept art that always showed Clive with a small dragon next to him in various locales. Presumably that is the buddy in question.)
but the small companion in the wapo article is a wolf

Also he specifically says buddies as in plural, not just one companion. multiple.

Did he really confirm something that specific, or are people just interpreting interviews in different ways?

he confirmed mostly-permanent party members beyond the ones that exist for narrative purposes that you can deliver manual commands to such as "heal yourself" or "focus this enemy." It being the Pawn system is my own interpretation.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'll post this here as well, on 4 open zones, side activities and crafting (translated by DeepL):

This is not an open world, but there are about four fields of its own. There are also side activities such as taking tickets for mob hunts from a bulletin board in a safe house, searching the field for powerful enemies to defeat, and playing side quests scattered throughout the field. In addition, there is a simple crafting concept that allows you to make your own weapons, so you can play while mashing them up or just run straight to the ending.

GoGo Nabrai

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2022
Most action RPGs have "normal mode" where enemies take a billion hits to kill and then an "easy mode" where the game plays itself. Tales of Arise's Easy Mode is exactly the same as normal mode, only enemies have slightly less max HP.

None of them actually have good difficulty balancing.
It didn't matter what difficulty you played on. Arise's enemies were incredibly spongy.

Can't wait to spam Bahamut fang or whatever elaborately animated sword swipe attack that looked like they were wailing on that creoul whose hp didn't do anything in the trailer.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
he confirmed mostly-permanent party members beyond the ones that exist for narrative purposes that you can deliver manual commands to such as "heal yourself" or "focus this enemy." It being the Pawn system is my own interpretation.

I would expect it to be something more like Carbuncle rather than full human party members who are with you the whole game.

PhillyPaw

Banned
Apr 11, 2021
Guys don't feed the obvious troll lol.

I can't help myself anymore.

In FFVII Remake: Hell House, the Arsenal, Ghoul, most of the summon VR battles
In Tales of Arise: literally every main storyline boss up to the end of the third kingdom where I quit the game.

At least one Scarlet Nexus boss also lingered that long before I got sick of that game and deleted it, as well. The whole "boss has super armor and a billion HP and can kill you super quickly" trope is alarmingly common in modern action RPGs.

If those fights in ff7 took you 15 minutes, you wasn't playing it right.

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I would expect it to be something more like Carbuncle rather than full human party members who are with you the whole game.
does them being fully human or not matter? im not talking about narrative party members, those are separate. this is just a somewhat controllable party independent of that.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Yoshida: AI-controlled companions do exist, although they are replaced depending on the storyline. In addition, there are characters we call "buddies," who accompany you in almost all battles. You can give your "buddy" manual instructions such as heal yourself or attack a specific enemy. Of course, you can also leave everything to the AI and concentrate on your own operations."

I'm assuming this is where the interpretation is coming from

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
It didn't matter what difficulty you played on. Arise's enemies were incredibly spongy.

Can't wait to spam Bahamut fang or whatever elaborately animated sword swipe attack that looked like they were wailing on that creoul whose hp didn't do anything in the trailer.
You two are hilarious. The people working on this combat are Dragon's Dogma/DMC/KH devs. You literally can't even find something in there creds to whine about so you use one specific fight from 7R and a complete separate companies game

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I worry the Eikon fights will be the type of encounters that give you temporary control over a character you have no familiarity with, intending to make you feel powerful, but end up taking you out of the moment as you fumble through new controls or mash through what amount to a playable cutscene. Like the late game fights in MGS4 for example.

Huge fan of XIV though so hoping I'm wrong.
I'd imagine Phoenix will be that.

Yoshida's interview with famitsu says when they released the first trailer, they were considering PS4 release as well.
Oh? What stopped them?

Sure doesn't sound like this would come from a company ready to sell to the highest bidder. "Oh hey you want to make an action game? Sure, yeah, fuck it go ahead."
This probably will cement party-member fans who are feeling like what they want really is being taken out to the pasture by the young.

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
Maybe it's just me, but these interviews did much more for me in terms of hyping the game up than the 2 trailers ever did. The 2 trailers didn't really do much for me but I like what I have been reading here.

No, definitely not just you. I mean, the trailers were hype and I'm a huge XIV fan but man... I already caught my first FF Tactics inspiration in FFXVI!

FV1A_sjWQAAcfx8

Totally reminds me of:
final-fantasy-tactics-the-war-of-the-lions.fandom.com

Goug Machine City

A mining town where mechanical weapons are crafted using techniques passed down from antiquity. —Description They say the ruins of a lost civilization lie buried beneath the streets of Goug, the Goug Machine City. Relics from the age of Saint Ajora, when airships numerous beyond counting filled...

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Endwalker has a buddy system where characters walk around with you in cities and zones. I bet it is like that but evolved and they are in combat. Incredibly excited as hell.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When Hughie walks in on Butcher shooting up V:

This is hype as hell

Not just one time skip:
I'll post this here as well, on 4 open zones, side activities and crafting (translated by DeepL):
god this game is going to rule so hard.

What is the pawn system of DD?

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
the whole "eikon vs eikon fights will all be stylistically different thing" is giving big Nier energy lol. Especially the part about it turning into a shooter.