apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Hey there music era!

I've been dabbling with guitar and bass for years, and I recently bought a synth and drum machine as well.

I've decided to try to record some stuff just for the fun of it in my living room, and just bought an audio interface (a Behringer UMC404HD) at auction that should arrive in a few days.

Only problem is that I know absolutely nothing about how to use a DAW. I've downloaded Reaper, since it's fairly cheap and seemingly very robust. I know it's not really a program for beginners, but I can be patient with a steep learning curve.

Are there any good tutorials available on youtube or elsewhere that would be a good way of getting started? It's always hard to know which tutorials are actually any good when getting into something new.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Are there any good tutorials available on youtube or elsewhere that would be a good way of getting started? It's always hard to know which tutorials are actually any good when getting into something new.
I learned how to use Reaper from this channel. Check his playlists then scroll down to the early ones. He covers more of the basics in the old videos

Loading…

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Not sure if anyone is interested, but figured I'd throw it up here!

I've released a master template for live recording in Ableton 10,11 & 12, featuring 110 tracks ready to take to your session and kick start your recording. I put together a quick video showing off the both the Easy mode and Power Mode templates where you can find the link to grab the templates too!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkrx9pGE-tg&feature=youtu.be

Each Instrument or Vocal group has been colour coded and where appropriate, channels have been linked so you can just hit the arm button and start recording multiple tracks at once. The projects contains around 110 tracks, with 10 pre-configured stock return tracks.

For me, taking this project to a recording session, firing it up and having everything there ready to go has been a blessing in time saving!

So if you're an ableton user and record live amps, drums etc have a look!

So, what's included?

Instrument Bus contains:

• Drum Bus with accompanying linked drum channels
  • Bass Bus with accompanying linked bass channels
  • Guitar Bus with 4 sets of linked guitar channels (1 DI / 2 Microphones)
  • Lead Bus with 4 sets of linked guitar channels (1 DI / 2 Microphones)
  • Acoustic Bus with 4 sets of linked guitar channels (1 DI / 2 Microphones)
  • Keys / Synth Bus with 4 sets of linked key channels (2 Microphones)
  • Percussion Bus with 4 channels of Percussion
Vocal Bus contains:

• Lead Vocal Bus with accompanying Lead Vocal and Double channels
  • Harmony Vocal Bus with accompanying Harmony Vocal channels
  • Backing Vocal Bus with accompanying Harmony Vocal channels
  • Gang Vocal Bus with accompanying Harmony Vocal channels
Return Channels:
These channels all contain Ableton stock plugins to kickstart your session, but feel free to replace with your favourite tools.

• Parallel Compression
  • Saturation
  • Drum Verb
  • Snare Verb
  • Guitar Verb
  • Acoustic Verb
  • Keys Verb
  • Vocal Verb
  • ¼ Delay
  • ⅛ Delay

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
110 tracks? Back in my day you could make a whole ass record on 4! You kids these days!
Hahahaha

It's a template that's built around multi mic recordings.

So the drum bus has around 15 channels or so, then I've included 4 sets of rhythm guitars, 3 channels per set. So you capture DI, MIC 1, MIC 2 in one take.

Multiple that up with leads, acoustics, keys, percs then the vocal stacks.

Not saying you need to use all channels here, but it's there and ready to go!