• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
On Thursday, an SEC filing revealed new financiers for Musk's takeover plan, which include Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal and Qatar's sovereign wealth fund. Both countries impose harsh censorship to quash dissent: A Qatari law states that spreading "false or malicious news" can land you in prison for five years, while in Saudi Arabia, critics of the government have faced arrest and even murder. Saudi Arabia ranks number 166 out of 180 on the World Press Freedom Index, while Qatar ranks number 119, according to Reporters Without Borders.

Twitter didn't immediately respond to a request for comment on the financing.

Prince Alwaleed wrote on Twitter that the Kingdom Holding Company, an investment firm he controls, would roll over its current $1.9 billion investment in Twitter to join Musk on "this exciting journey." The move comes after Alwaleed spurned Musk's plan in a tweet last month, saying the Tesla CEO's offer didn't come close to the "intrinsic value" of the company. KHC has been a Twitter stakeholder since 2011.

www.buzzfeednews.com

Elon Musk Will Fund His Twitter Deal With Money From Countries That Suppress Free Speech

Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal said he looked forward to joining his “‘new’ friend” Musk on his journey.

The world is literally just a long running unfunny gag

Last edited by a moderator:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
could you link to the article please, i saw this on twitter earlier and wanted to read up on it more

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era is now an official news source.

We have arrived. B-Dubs will you host the talking heads hour?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was so confused when I clicked on the link and it relinked back to this thread.

Edit: Fixed almost at the exact moment I typed this out

I feel like the "free speech" thing went out the window when he started talking about charging to use the platform for certain entities.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Last year, the government arrested seven people for using social media "to spread false news" during its elections. The country also has a history of suppressing free speech. In 2012, a Qatari poet was sentenced to 15 years in jail after reciting a poem critical of the government.
cool cool cool

very cool

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Elon is an enemy of democracy and is looking to dismantle whatever is left.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
FYI he's not new to Twitter:

In December 2011, Al Waleed invested $300 million in Twitter, purchasing secondary shares from insiders. The purchase gave Kingdom Holding a more than 3% share" in the company, which was valued at $8 billion in late summer 2011

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
i'm sure his intentions are good. he probably thinks he's doing the right thing

Some doofus in another thread was actually saying this.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I guess I don't want to shit on everyone's parade but I'm assuming we all read this piece:

Prince Alwaleed wrote on Twitter that the Kingdom Holding Company, an investment firm he controls, would roll over its current $1.9 billion investment in Twitter to join Musk on "this exciting journey."

Why weren't we angry about this previously?

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I don't want to shit on everyone's parade but I'm assuming we all read this piece:

I have to assume everyone already knew this but only chose to get angry because it's a guy posting memes that suck instead of caring about literal murderers

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
you could really use an editor to help with your long thread titles
i'll do it

IlRJTFx.png

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017

What's worse: someone who's incredibly shitty controlling 5% of Twitter, or someone who's just super shitty controlling 100% of Twitter?

Like, maybe they had some influence before, but once the sale goes through Elon will be in full control.

Plus it does highlight the hypocrisy of saying "I'm not buy Twitter because I'm an evil asshole, I'm doing it because I'm pro-free speech" while jumping in bed with anti-free speech, evil assholes.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018

Guess he changed his tune on this

Well that can't be right, surely Libertarian Jesus Daddy would never want to implicate himself to blood money and unjust values like that.

The follow-up on the same tweet thread is fucking hilarious like my man why would you announce your wonderful friendship in a thread calling you out, showing your new friends hypocrisy as well as highlighting your own shitty practices.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Well that can't be right, surely Libertarian Jesus Daddy would never want to implicate himself to blood money and unjust values like that.

The follow-up on the same tweet thread is fucking hilarious like my man why would you announce your wonderful friendship in a thread calling you out, showing your new friends hypocrisy as well as highlighting your own shitty practices.

Yeah I take it as granted that Musk is full of shit but at least he could do the bare minimum and throw the Saudis out on their ass.

Twitter actually had Saudi employees snooping around in the company's personal data to look for dissidents in the past.

Elon is truly combining the worst parts of old Twitter and new Twitter into a single awful company.