Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog Weissman

Banned
Sep 12, 2020
This person is in his mid-20s and got married a few weeks ago. This wedding was a super-spreader event and he and several of my colleagues who attended all got COVID—all unvaccinated of course. The rest "recovered" but this one guy is probably not going to make it through the night. On one hand I feel like an ogre and on the other hand I'm just tired of this shit. There's no reason this mother fucker had to leave behind a widow and grieving family. I do feel sorry for them.

But I'm just tired and angry. Motherfuckers are dying and people keep coming into the office claiming "Allergies." Some of us have existing health conditions that make getting sick particularly dangerous.

This *isn't* a matter of not having sick leave or not being able to work from home. There's no reason for these people to be coming into the office.

Sorry for the scatterbrained post. I guess tl;dr: get vaccinated or go to hell.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
I feel sorry for them insomuch that I am a human being and they are a human being and dying sucks, especially in that manner.

But yeah, they had their chance and fucked up. Sucks to suck.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
We're 2 years in to this and continuing because of people like him. I wouldnt give a shit if it was my own family member. You chose this hill to die on, dont look for pity when it happens.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if he dies, maybe his other unvaccinated friends and family will think twice and get it. Maybe some good will come of it.

As much as I would love everyone vaccinated I don't think forcing anyone to do anything will work. They need to come to the conclusion on their own. If that means they die before then, or one of their friends or family die to reach that conclusion, so be it. Yeah, it sounds crass.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Yeah I don't wish death upon people, but they know the risks and decided to put their lives in danger. Fucked up they are also putting a others lives in danger, but can't help stupid.

OP
OP
Dog Weissman

Dog Weissman

Banned
Sep 12, 2020
Well, if he dies, maybe his other unvaccinated friends and family will think twice and get it. Maybe some good will come of it.

As much as I would love everyone vaccinated I don't think forcing anyone to do anything will work. They need to come to the conclusion on their own. If that means they die before then, or one of their friends or family die to reach that conclusion, so be it. Yeah, it sounds crass.

As many people who maybe decide to get it will be a drop in the bucket compared to how many people he and my other co-workers have infected. But I see your point.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone dying is a tragedy, even if they're sort of shitty.

COVID protocol has been added to the conveniently compartmentalized world of identity politics to join abortion, gun control, climate change, and health care.

It's a shame that people get swept up in this branding, period.

It's like devotion to a sports team or media franchise. Happens without people knowing it.

I can't really say with honesty that catharsis should be a guilt free reaction to this.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a new resident physician in the ICU, it is deeply saddening for me to see the course these patients take until they finally pass, everywhere from losing your senses to constant proning to intubation to being put on medical paralysis so that we can prone you WHILE intubated. And 90% of our ICU are people who didn't want the vaccine. Because it's like…you could've prevented this easily.

The goals of care talks with their families permanently crush a bit of my soul every time.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
If you were close, then feel free to grieve and feel for him and his family. If not, just the same sad statistic we keep seeing replay over and over again.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
We're nearing the start of year 3 of this pandemic... It's getting harder and harder to care for these kinds of people. I have definitely become far more jaded... Everyone wants a return to normal, but so many would rather skip the hard parts and it costs everyone so much.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Understandable. When someone willingly signs up for the Darwin Awards, and they win, it is extremely difficult to empathize with that person.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like he doesn't hold his or other people's lives in high regard. I think treating him the same is understandable and a direct result of his actions, even if it's not particularly pleasant or admirable.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Mourn his death as he's somebody who has a personal connection to you (he's just a coworker but it's still an interpersonal relationship), but the expectation of feeling that something tragic happened just isn't there. This was completely & utterly avoidable and the option of not dying has been available at every single pharmacy for months. People in poorer countries who don't have access to vaccines would gladly take the opportunities that he passed on.

Jan 3, 2018
If that's his attitude towards COVID, it's crazy that he hadn't caught it until now. Also OP do you know what is making his case so severe at his age?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Nah, you're definitely in the right. Like you said these people are effecting, hurting and selfishly killing others with their spread because they don't get vaccinated.

It's cold but I'd see as the guy didn't care about possibly killing you or any of his other co-workers, so why should you care about his health.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I've been full IvanDrago.gif for nearly a year now.

If you want to die from COVID, be my fucking guest, just stay the fuck away from everyone else who doesn't.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to lose sleep over it but I would never make light of it as that's at best tacky.

It's life and death and that's heavy but these things are pretty much avoidable and inaction and/or actions have consequences.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone dying is a tragedy, even if they're sort of shitty.

No offense but this is such an empty sentiment that people just kind of parrot because it sounds nice.

There are plenty of people who just perpetuate the suffering of other people and the world is demonstrably better with then gone. And then there's people like the OP's coworker who just do this shit to themselves despite being fully capable of comprehending the consequences, because they don't give a fuck.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Has the widow asked for everyone's prayers yet instead of imploring all of their dumb fuck friends and families to get vaccinated immediately?

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
I wonder if I'll feel differently for someone I know well, but so far I feel nothing for those who volunteer for death or extended illness, other than hope it'll serve as a lesson to others (so far, unlikely)

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
They kill enough people from spreading it, it's only fair when it takes them out too.

OP
OP
Dog Weissman

Dog Weissman

Banned
Sep 12, 2020
Is he just unvaxxed or unapologetically anti-vax in his daily life?

I don't know. I think it's more this:

And then there's people who just do this shit to themselves being fully capable of comprehending the consequences and not giving a fuck

One of my other colleagues who got COVID and was sick for several weeks wishes he'd gotten the vaccine. He wasn't anti-vax as far as I know, just felt indifferent and didn't give a shit. These are relatively young people who think they're invincible. That'd be all well and fine if these people weren't shedding virus to others as well.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I think it's more this:

One of my other colleagues who got COVID and was sick for several weeks wishes he'd gotten the vaccine. He wasn't anti-vax as far as I know, just felt indifferent and didn't give a shit. These are relatively young people who think they're invincible. That'd be all well and fine if these people weren't shedding virus to others as well.

Yeah, they should know better as 20-something's and yeah they are inconsiderate as hell about your health and others.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
There def is a sentiment less of anti-vaxx and just apathetic as hell to it and don't bother going out of sheer laziness and or just thinking they are invincible

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing he deserves at this point is a $1 plastic plaque for a Herman Cain award.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It took an incredible effort to develop these fucking miracle vaccines in the amount of time they were created in the middle of a global pandemic, and for them to be made readily available (at least in the United States) to anyone who wants one. For there to be people to see that and are like "nah I'm good", its hard to feel any pity.

Its like someone who insists on riding a motorcycle without a helmet and then splatters their brains all over a curb. My reaction would be:

nicolas-cage-cage.gif

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, don't feel bad. Just think that ever unvaccinated person who dies raises the percentage of people alive who are vaccinated.
At this point, if you are in America and over the age of 5, it is YOUR CHOICE to not get vaccinated. We are well past the point where it's been widely avalible

Oct 27, 2017
As many people who maybe decide to get it will be a drop in the bucket compared to how many people he and my other co-workers have infected. But I see your point.
Wait he's not vaccinated and still held a wedding? I would be surprised if that's not illegal but I guess wedding vendors can't be arsed to check too thoroughly.

There's no obligation for you to feel bad here. If he took a risk like that and ends up dying, it's all on him and anyone else that was supporting his decision to have that event while not vaccinated.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Don't feel like you're bad for not feeling grief. He made his choices regarding not getting vaccinated and holding a crowded event, and unfortunately his choices put himself and other people at risk. I don't think it's wrong that you can't muster up more than an "oh well," having constant sympathy for people who are so flagrantly reckless is exhausting.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I've run out of patience with people who still refuse to get vaccinated.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
reading the thread title I was gonna come in here and tell you to not be an asshole.
Then read the body of the OP and understand.

I get uncomfortable with almost celebratory hermancainaward shit, but I wouldn't blame you for being apathetic

so young. whelp

Jul 18, 2020
Every action we take in life has a consequence. It's always tragic when someone so young dies for whatever reason, but like I said, it's the consequence of being inconsequent. Don't feel bad for not giving a shit, it is what it is.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
No offense but this is such an empty sentiment that people just kind of parrot because it sounds nice.

There are plenty of people who just perpetuate the suffering of other people and the world is demonstrably better with then gone. And then there's people like the OP's coworker who just do this shit to themselves despite being fully capable of comprehending the consequences, because they don't give a fuck.
Thank you.

If you're saying "thoughts and prayers" and feel sad the day Mitch McConnell dies, you're willfully ignoring all the people he has harmed and no doubt let die in his poor state of Kentucky due to no healthcare.

It's like some people have a list of what makes somebody a good person, and being sad at any death let's them check a mark on that list even though if they gave it any thought whatsoever, they'd realize it's an empty platitude and no different than the empty thougthts and prayers Republicans throw out after gun violence. "I act like I care because I'm expected to".

Anyway, I understand OP. The guy had a super spreader event and it's only fortunate he's the only one that is going to die from it. He reaped what he sowed. He decided not getting a free shot was a gamble worth taking so he could own the libs, and, he lost.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Maybe his situation will prompt others in his circle to get vaxxed? If not, they, too, can compete for the next Darwin Award. Hard to feel sorry for anti-vax people at this point.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
this late in the game yeah dude was asking for it.

people really feel themselves with that sanctity of human lives shit tho. we should feel positive things when a shitter bites the dust

Status
Not open for further replies.