• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should I correct her and tell her to start saying coins instead of money?

• Yes.

Votes: 201 18.1%
  • No.

Votes: 469 42.2%
  • What?

Votes: 441 39.7%

• Total voters

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, kids really are smarter than their parents.

Of course coins in Mario are money. Why do you think they're worth collecting?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Calling the coins in Mario "money" is gamer sacrilege. Appropriate punishment must be given.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Playing Super Mario 3D World right now.

6YEzKgY.jpg

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Nowhere near as bad as adults that still say Sonic collects coins instead of rings, at least coins are a form of money.

Oct 25, 2017
They're coins. Correct your newbie piece of shit daughter once and then wash her mouth out with soap if she keeps calling them money. You gotta nip this in the bud now.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
OP: it's not money, it's coins.

20 Years from now:

Twitter: What one obvious thing did you realise way too late in life?

OP's daughter: I somehow grew up not knowing coins were currency...

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Coins are just a reference to the tokens/medals from arcades. So they are a currency in a round about way. Since arcades are mostly dead or designed around gambling now, Nintendo has just retcon'd them into actual currency.

Now Rings are definitely not a currency. They seem to be some sort of magic item that can protect you from 1 hit regardless of intensity, get absorbed into the body until hit, and can teleport you to magical realms if you collect enough.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
You've heard of the golden rule, haven't you? Whoever has the gold makes the rules?

She gets the gold coins, she can call them whatever she wants

You_f67ef8_2632937.gif

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Money can be exchanged for goods and services. So if you rationalize the exchange of 100 coins for a star or life, she isn't technically wrong, even if its a non SMO game.

Just don't let her try to plug up cuts with dollar bills though. Don't let SM64 and Sunshine give her the wrong message.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
"Honey its not money its coins"
"Shut the fuck up dad"

Is how that would go if your daughter was mean but I'm sure you've raised her quite well and I think calling it money is kinda cute

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I remember one time in the sixth grade my friend tried to argue he was smarter than me because all of the games he played had some form of currency so he learned financial management through games. I then countered his argument by trying to argue that most of the games I played also have some form of currency. He brought up Sonic, to which I replied that in the Sonic Adventure games rings can be used as a form of currency in the Chao Garden. He didn't know how to respond to that other than bewilderment, but ever since then I have wondered if things like coins and rings really count as "money," in platformers, but I'd lean towards yes. Coins are literally used to buy things in practice.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used to play Pixeljunk Monsters with very casual friends and they would call it "the coin game", because sometimes coins would pop out of trees and stuff. I didn't like that.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
How about you don't start mansplaining to your daughter?

- "Get the money, dad!"
- "COINS, sweetie."

giphy.gif

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
"They're coins."
"oh ok dad"

(Two weeks later)

"Dad I'm playing Sonic the Hedgehog and I collected all the coins"

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Not all Coins have monetary value. Most do, but it is exposure. I am sure alot of people here can think of examples of coins that you cannot use in any economy to purchase a product. But in this case, the history of mario games prove that coins have monetary value in the kingdom. The only reason you would correct her is because it should be a habit of using the correct wording when you can. Words may have multiple meanings, and there really is no excuse to be lazy.

EDIT:

This isn't a problem. What is s problem when Sonic rings get called coins.
Even as such.....

gsmarena_004.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Not all Coins have monetary value. But in this case it the history of mario games prove that coins have monetary value in the kingdom. The only reason you would correct her is because it should be a habit of using the correct wording when you can. Words may have multiple meanings, and there really is no excuse to be lazy.
Yeah, though historically "coins" have basically been a defacto medium of currency / exchange. I can't even think of any coins right now that aren't considered money, or something you exchanged for money to use in an arcade setting, etc.