• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I feel so sorry for him. He's heavily at risk of homelessness, disabled, a back injury sufferer, and a sweet, genuine person. Too sick to work, too much in pain to keep a mellow temperament around his doctors that ignore his pain, too poor to fight for his needs, and he's just forgotten in society. In fact, he's staying with a friend to stay off the street right now. We broke up for specific reasons, but I have always had a tenderness for his situation. Life just sucks sometimes.

His back pain mixed with him trying to quit alcohol became so intense that one month ago, when a close friend of his died, he became so distressed he started looking for prescription pills to calm the pain. He started getting them off the street, and the dealers laced his supply with increasing amounts of fentanyl. He told me the other day that a few weeks ago, he OD on fentanyl in the street and a couple of his friends happened to come by him, and since they're very aware drug users, one of them happened to have narcan in his backpack, and they used it to save my ex's life on the street. He went and stayed with his sister (who is a meth addict) for a couple of weeks, and he lost like 20 lbs, vomited profusely daily, and felt like he was dying as he was recovering from OD/withdrawal/addiction. He says he's too scared to go back to pills like that again, but he convinced me to do a couple of things.

He says local injection clinics in Seattle (look up if there are any in your area) offer free fentanyl testing kits and narcan for anyone, not just users. I'm going to get some narcan and fentanyl test strips. I don't even use drugs, but just like it's useful to carry an Epipen with you, I want to have this stuff available in my home, because you just never know if someone you invite over had drugs before they came by, and what they're on, and it might be too late if they OD in your presence (like what was depicted in Dopesick with the guy who OD'd at the outdoor party) and the paramedics can't arrive in time.

So all of this to say PSA:
- Narcan can save a life
- If you can, get some free Narcan and keep it in your first aid supply at home. You never know if someone in your home may need it.
- Please please stay away from prescription and street opioids. The supply out there is not safe.
- RIP/my condolences to those killed/affected by opioids and fentanyl (in remembrance of the Dopesick documentary others are talking about)

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I'm sorry to hear that, friend. I hope things get better for your friend.

In big metro areas, local governments and public health organizations tend to offer free Narcan and training. I second OP's suggestion to get it and get the training if you can. You never know when you can save a life.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What is this "free" Narcan of which you speak...?

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
One of my old high school friends started just buying fentanyl by the gram and measuring it out himself instead of playing the guessing game. Seems stupid to me either way, but it's their life

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Nevermind - apparently availability depends on pharmacy chain? Seems like a tangled mess

Last edited:

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
What is this "free" Narcan of which you speak...?

As I mentioned, many organizations will give out free Narcan to help the community. For example, the largest hospital system and medical school gives out Narcan and training through its Nursing School here.

According to Google only a few states have OTC Narcan:

I don't live in any of those states and can get it from various local public health organizations. Check your local area.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry you had to go through that. My ex is an addict who is on the fast lane to a fentanyl overdose and there is nothing left that I can do.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
We're starting to see fentanyl dosed weed causing people to OD. Not even the most basic drug is safe from this garbage.

edit: My oldest friend is going through her boyfriend's withdrawals and she can't take much more of it, she has fully resigned herself to the fact that he will eventually kill himself with it.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My father in law died of a fentanyl overdose.
He was a wonderful person with three great kids and ran an autobody shop for almost 30 years.
But he had a bad depression problem that he was never willing to properly face and turned to street drugs and alchohol to help him cope despite us doing our best to help him.

I try not to think about it too much because it makes me upset but Its really tough to see someone you (and money other people) genuinely looked up too and respected stumble and fall so far that drugs take their life. Once they kind of get on that path its an extremely long and tough road that hurts everyone around them and it's extremely difficult to steer course.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
While I support your general point and am very happy to hear that your ex survived the od, this is not true:
because you just never know if someone you invite over had drugs before they came by, and what they're on
I am not friends with anyone who takes any illegal drugs and if someone comes here, he has not consumed any drugs other than nicotine beforehand (with the exception of my father who can come even if he drank a beer before, but he is the only one and can only come even if he had a beer because we are living in the same house). I will not tolerate intoxicated people around my children and neither will my wife.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
We're starting to see fentanyl dosed weed causing people to OD. Not even the most basic drug is safe from this garbage.

edit: My oldest friend is going through her boyfriend's withdrawals and she can't take much more of it, she has fully resigned herself to the fact that he will eventually kill himself with it.
If youre talking about that viral article from last week, there was actually no evidence of fentanyl laced weed. Just kids testing positive for opiates and saying the only drug they consumed was weed. People aren't lacing weed with fentanyl, it doesnt even make sense, that would make the weed cost them more/lose them money.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I'm glad to hear your ex survived as it may have been a totally different outcome had someone not found him.

I overdosed when I was a heroin addict, it's a horrible experience to go through. I carry Narcan in my truck just in case I ever come across someone who has OD'd because it really is a life saver.

I hope your ex can find the help he needs. For me personally , it was Jesus who freed me from drug bondage.

May 31, 2021
While I support your general point and am very happy to hear that your ex survived the od, this is not true:

I am not friends with anyone who takes any illegal drugs and if someone comes here, he has not consumed any drugs other than nicotine beforehand (with the exception of my father who can come even if he drank a beer before, but he is the only one and can only come even if he had a beer because we are living in the same house). I will not tolerate intoxicated people around my children and neither will my wife.
With that attitude do you think anyone would tell you?
Most people who take drugs, don't go round telling everyone they met!

Bobby Peru

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
It honestly frightens me how much fentanyl is being produced globally and is generally unaccounted for. Just accidental exposure to trace amounts can kill you and there are enough quantities out there to take out entire populations.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think its controversial to not want to be around hardcore drug users. But okay.

I do like how you suddenly imply I think drug users are "filthy." Nice.
I mean, it's not like there are designated "hard-drug use parties." I haven't been to any particularly hardcore parties nor do I personally partake, but it's the kind of thing that just happens sometimes. It's pretty damn prevalent.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I don't think its controversial to not want to be around hardcore drug users. But okay.

I do like how you suddenly imply I think drug users are "filthy." Nice.
I'm not sure what else I am to imply with you being so dismissive over this. The fact of the matter is that your typical drug user isn't a meth head from a television show or someone who is living in absolute squalor. Lots and lots of people use drugs. As the poster directly above you stated, most of them aren't going to just run around telling people. And they're certainly not going to tell someone who seems to have a pretty judgmental tone.

The advice to have and know how to use narcan posted in that tweet is very good. I very likely would never need to know how to use it, but it could save a life, and I'm very interested in keeping it around for that reason. I just don't think you should be so fucking dismissive over the idea just because you don't think that you have friends and family who are drug users and might be impacted by this.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ mate, I'm so sorry for what you're going through the last few weeks.

Also the amount of fentanyl laced drugs is just .. really, really increased lately, throughout the pandemic. For anybody who is a regular drug user or friends/associates/partners with one, take OPs advice about narcan. It's a life saver. A friend of mine's brother tragically died, almost certainly an OD, after he had been largely clean for 3 years... just a few weeks ago. It was out of nowhere. The toxicology report takes time to get back, but there's just a strong likelihood he had started quietly using again, and bought something that was more dangerous than something he was used to.

I mean that's nice, but why would I be at parties with fentanyl users? Or any hard drug users for that matter?

None of my friends in my regular social circle are heroin or regular cocaine users, but I know some use other drugs. Not so much anymore, we're all kinda older and having kids and stuff, but they'll still have some friends, friends of friends, who use adderal or xanax at parties, maybe use cocaine occassionally, and sometimes other pills. And a growing number of non-opioid drugs, like drugs you wouldn't associate with opioids at all, are being laced with fentanyl because it's very cheap, everywhere, and a cheap way to make a cheap pill more potent in different ways.

I'm too fucking old to be at banger parties where people are using drugs more than smoking pot and drinking, but occassionally I'll be at like my brother in laws watching hockey and I'll walk into another room and some kid is taking a bump of cocaine, and honestly it's more and more likely that drugs I would have never associated with something like fentanyl are now at least in the same realm of risk of getting mixed.

There was a poster here a couple weeks back to posted about how they recreationally use xanax, and how they had a severe reaction because the xanax ended up being laced with fent. It's an exceptionally risky time.

Last edited:

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
With that attitude do you think anyone would tell you?
Most people who take drugs, don't go round telling everyone they met!
I have not always had children. Moreover, if someone disrespects the general rule that you do not show up where my children live intoxicated he should not expect me to let him in.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

You have a pretty warped view on drugs and drug users.

Not all drugs and/or users show signs of intoxication of any kind. And even if they do, you may not know what to lookout for.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I want to really chime in on the 'hard drugs' part of this, this is showing up in street procured Xanax and Adderall and other "safe" drugs and teens and young adults are sourcing these off-prescription from the streets to disastrous consequences. It's not just "hard drugs" like meth and heroin or party-hard drugs like cocaine.

I do think it's weird to hand out Narcan like a party favor at a private social gathering but if it saves a life, that's OK?

I think the economics behind Fentanyl are just too extreme to just not have some kind of targeted policy response, the number of ODs is only going to keep rising because it's so cheap to cut into basically everything. It's also not just something that's imported in, the economics behind it are so strong that people domestically will make it even if you curb imports. We just had a sentencing of 15 and 20 years in my county yesterday for a giant fentanyl production operation here in western WA.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I want to really chime in on the 'hard drugs' part of this, this is showing up in street procured Xanax and Adderall and other "safe" drugs and teens and young adults are sourcing these off-prescription from the streets to disastrous consequences. It's not just "hard drugs" like meth and heroin or party-hard drugs like cocaine.

I do think it's weird to hand out Narcan like a party favor at a private social gathering but if it saves a life, that's OK?

I think the economics behind Fentanyl are just too extreme to just not have some kind of targeted policy response, the number of ODs is only going to keep rising because it's so cheap to cut into basically everything. It's also not just something that's imported in, the economics behind it are so strong that people domestically will make it even if you curb imports. We just had a sentencing of 15 and 20 years in my county yesterday for a giant fentanyl production operation here in western WA.
How on earth is Xanax a safe or non-hard drug? To my best knowledge benzos are among the drugs with the most intense withdrawal syndroms.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

Yeah , I wouldn't let anyone like that in my household either

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I mean that's nice, but why would I be at parties with fentanyl users? Or any hard drug users for that matter?
The issue with Fentanyl is that it is being put in things without people knowing it or asking for it. The supply chain is polluted so it is killing people who are maybe only looking for Oxys or something that they got hooked on due to injuries or other chronic conditions.

I have not always had children. Moreover, if someone disrespects the general rule that you do not show up where my children live intoxicated he should not expect me to let him in.
Heavy users do not always show signs of being intoxicated. I have friends that are on very high doses of pain meds because their body has built such a high tolerance and even with that they act almost normal because that is normal for them.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
This is freaking me out. How do I know if someone is ODing from fentanyl?

Quick CDC two-page PDF

How on earth is Xanax a safe or non-hard drug? To my best knowledge benzos are among the drugs with the most intense withdrawal syndroms.

I guess if you had to list "heroin, cocaine, meth, xanax' and ask someone who doesn't know much about them which of them is different, people are going to point to the FDA approved drug. Didn't want to imply it was safe, only the perception of safety from people who don't know much about it.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Prescription drugs are considered different to a lot of people when compared to illegal ones even if they are just as dangerous. For example Fentanyl is a very powerful useful drug and was given to my mother when she was in hospice however it is so dangerous that even a small amount in someone unknowingly can be lethal.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Quick CDC two-page PDF

I guess if you had to list "heroin, cocaine, meth, xanax' and ask someone who doesn't know much about them which of them is different, people are going to point to the FDA approved drug. Didn't want to imply it was safe, only the perception of safety from people who don't know much about it.
But this is a thread on fentanyl, which is, as far as I know, stronger than heroin, yet legal in many countries.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
As an addict, who thankfully has put that part of his life behind him (for now, never let your guard down), I was taking all kinds of shit. Mainly Oxy but also plenty of other pain killers and some heroin as well. One of my best friends (we'll call him John) was doing the same thing as I. The difference between us is that he wore his problems on his sleeve while I was hiding in plain sight. I would be the guy that you'd come up to at the party to talk about your concerns with about John while having no idea that I was just as high as he was.

I remember when I was getting out of it, fentanyl was just becoming well known. That shit is scary, especially since people are cutting other drugs with something so potent.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
lol if you've ever been to a music festival you've probably bumped into a couple dozen people on coke or Oxy or ketamine or something without you knowing. When I was doing house shows there was a period where a few folks started bringing white shit around and we had to put a stop to it. Tons of people casually do these drugs at parties, especially college age kids, really ignorant to claim otherwise

Last edited:

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
What if someone you care for disregards that rule because they genuinely enjoy your company and care for your kids? You better drug test everyone just to make sure no good people that are struggling with substance abuse issues are spreading their addiction to your kids. /s

Have some empathy dude. I understand you want your kids to be safe but you are painting everyone that does drugs as some form of lesser being that doesn't deserve to be in your presence. It is totally fine to not want people being fucking wasted at your home.

I'm not saying you need to be friends with someone that does drugs if that makes you uncomfortable. But I would just ask that you have a little bit more tact when talking about substance abuse. Use your parental instincts to keep bad people away from your family. No need to act like everyone that takes drugs is immediately a threat to you or your kids.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Jesus sorry to hear

not that we should be ranking drugs but it's tough to find anything more dangerous than Fentanyl

it's also the drug that kills people not even taking Fent due to cross contamination

only takes 2 specs of that stuff to kill you

May 31, 2021
I think you are missing the point. You have a very puritan attitude to drugs. It is possible /likely that you have aquaintances who take drugs without telling you. Yes it would be weird to turn up at your door stop high, but not impossible.
I certainly did this when I was an addict, and my friends would still have no idea.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry he's going through this. The search to free yourself from chronic pain can be a dangerous path to walk.

And a hug for you since you've been having a hell of a year, based on your threads.

*hug*

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
It's telling that the person on my ignore list (among other rhetoric) are the one(s) who are sounding like they're painting drug users with a broad moral brush.

Just a reminder that I'm a cannabis addict, did not ASK for cannabis addiction, and just spent the last month going through hellish withdrawals to quit the habit. So any implication that all drug users are all bad people not fit to be around families or children: lol fuck the fuck off and get out.

Anyone saying "I don't know why I would have a drug user in my home" -- the point is you may never know who is on or not on drugs in your presence. Life is hard and people turn to things to get relief when their distress tolerance and coping skills are not up to par to dealing with the circumstances. And they don't always tell you their secrets. That's not a moral failing, that's a reality of life. And due to stress + genetic + environmental predisposition, addiction happens. Literally just got done talking to my addiction psychiatrist about this, about relapse during drug addiction, etc. It was nice hearing from an MD PhD that drug abusers are not morally bad people, they are SICK and need HEALTHCARE. That's why Narcan is an objectively *GOOD* thing to have around you: to save a life.

I'm sorry he's going through this. The search to free yourself from chronic pain can be a dangerous path to walk.

And a hug for you since you've been having a hell of a year, based on your threads.

*hug*

To everyone offering kindness and support: thank you so much.

I turned to cannabis to help with anxiety stemming from the pandemic, isolation during a difficult PhD program, my dad dying of Parkinson's, my disabled mom getting more chronically ill while I'm at school, and now my stepdad just got diagnosed with aggressive Parkinson's...it's just a bit much the last couple of years. It's no wonder I turned to a drug, but it ballooned out of control for me (like many addicts) and unlike many others, I'm fortunate to have had success weaning myself off of it.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm sorry to hear, but thanks for the advice. I was curious and looked uphow you can get Naloxone in the UK and came across these links.

So can get them from pharmacies, GPs and without need for a prescription. I'll keep that in mind.

It's telling that the person on my ignore list (among other rhetoric) are the one(s) who are sounding like they're painting drug users with a broad moral brush.

Just a reminder that I'm a cannabis addict, did not ASK for cannabis addiction, and just spent the last month going through hellish withdrawals to quit the habit. So any implication that all drug users are all bad people not fit to be around families or children: lol fuck the fuck off and get out.

Anyone saying "I don't know why I would have a drug user in my home" -- the point is you may never know who is on or not on drugs in your presence. Life is hard and people turn to things to get relief when their distress tolerance and coping skills are not up to par to dealing with the circumstances. And they don't always tell you their secrets. That's not a moral failing, that's a reality of life. And due to stress + genetic + environmental predisposition, addiction happens. Literally just got done talking to my addiction psychiatrist about this, about relapse during drug addiction, etc. It was nice hearing from an MD PhD that drug abusers are not morally bad people, they are SICK and need HEALTHCARE. That's why Narcan is an objectively *GOOD* thing to have around you: to save a life.

I turned to cannabis to help with anxiety stemming from the pandemic, isolation during a difficult PhD program, my dad dying of Parkinson's, my disabled mom getting more chronically ill while I'm at school, and now my stepdad just got diagnosed with aggressive Parkinson's...it's just a bit much the last couple of years. It's no wonder I turned to a drug, but it ballooned out of control for me (like many addicts) and unlike many others, I'm fortunate to have had success weaning myself off of it.

The other person also doing the whole moral grandstanding and going on about why he would be at a party with drug users is also on my ignore list. Just incredibly naive and unempathic responses from both of them.

Oct 27, 2017
Statistically speaking, you know someone that might be using or abusing opioids. If nothing else, you'll certainly be at an event with someone who does such a thing at some point. It's not like everybody who is using opiates is doing so in dark crevices of our society, many people first got addicted to opiates when they were being given out by bad doctors for things like car accidents and surgeries or chronic pain.

Many people keep it in a functional state of abuse, still going to work and holding regular family lives, while also managing a growing addiction or problem under the surface. The point is, you'll never know and you have no idea if someone in your circle already might be struggling with some thing.

There's a weird stereotype that drug users are all the dregs of society or something, and just looking at the sheer numbers of the opioid epidemic, that's absolutely impossible to continue to hold that position.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

I'm sorry to hear that, friend.

I lost my dad this year to colon cancer, my grandma last year to heart related reasons, and a close friend to suicide last month. I was tentatively diagnosed as Bipolar II, which may be Borderline Personality Disorder, during the pandemic, started law school, and figured out moving all while trying to get my father to finally seek care. These last few years have been really hard so I completely empathize with you.

People like to think of addicts as people with character flaws. The reality is anyone can have one bad day and go down the path of addiction. I'm not immune to addiction, no one is. We need to have compassion for those with substance abuse issues.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Another reason "why would I be at a party with fentanyl users" is clown shoes is that people aren't really just doing fentanyl.

This is a lethal dose:
8g0ahkrbiaj31.jpg

Nobody except maybe actual hardcore heroin users are carrying that around to do on its own. The people making or moving bulk product that folks usually buy cut those drugs with fentanyl in order to stretch out their supply and get bigger profits. So you could have someone who rarely or never does any drugs OD after indulging in someone's party shit a single time.

Those kinds of comments are square af and I have to question how much of a realistic view of the world anyone who sincerely says that has. A lawyer is in here literally assuming if you've done cocaine - a rich man in a suit drug - then you are doing it in the open, presenting like a drug addict, and can be easily pointed out. I bet that dude's been in a courtroom with other lawyers who were jacked up on it. Hell, the lawyer I needed a few years ago got recommended to me by people who sold him coke.

Just moronic