• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Boy?

• Deku

Votes: 250 41.7%
  • All Might

Votes: 179 29.9%
  • Bakugou

Votes: 65 10.9%
  • Kirishima

Votes: 46 7.7%
  • Other (Type in comments)

Votes: 59 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I guess that scene in the S3 preview where Aoyama is staring at Deku while everyone else is looking forward makes more sense. I wonder if they are making him just a stalker or the actual traitor. The blurb at the end would make me think the later but that is not reliable of course.
Weekly reminder that Deku sucks at narration.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think regardless of him being a traitor or not, Aoyama is being set up for something big. I'm hoping it's something interesting.

Also why are we still spoiler tagging? Chapter is out.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just in case some one doesn't realize that it's already out or something since is rely new
We are in the new page, I doubt people will reach this page without noticing.
I think regardless of him being a traitor or not, Aoyama is being set up for something big. I'm hoping it's something interesting.

Also why are we still spoiler tagging? Chapter is out.
I think he discovers the real traitor.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
My only non-traitor theory regarding Aoyama and why he would be stalking Deku is that the "Quirkless Aoyama" theory is true and he somehow discovered Deku was quirkless, causing some weird obsession and him and he is either jealous of him or wanting to get a little to close to him to know how he got a quirk. Just an idea.

Or maybe he's just super gay for Deku and this story is about to go in a completely unexpected direction to advance the Deku/Ochako plot line.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
My only non-traitor theory regarding Aoyama and why he would be stalking Deku is that the "Quirkless Aoyama" theory is true and he somehow discovered Deku was quirkless, causing some weird obsession and him and he is either jealous of him or wanting to get a little to close to him to know how he got a quirk. Just an idea.

Or maybe he's just super gay for Deku and this story is about to go in a completely unexpected direction to advance the Deku/Ochako plot line.
While I'm not 100% on the gay thing yet how would he find out about him being quirkless

I'm not saying it's impossible it's very likely that's what is going on but how would he find out

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the million theories that are going to be made next week be irrelevant with chapter 168

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm not 100% on the gay thing yet how would he find out about him being quirkless

I'm not saying it's impossible it's very likely that's what is going on but how would he find out

650.gif

I have no explanation, maybe he's been stalking for a while and saw the Deku vs Bakugo fight which I think they explained the situation to Bakugo there right?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Chapter was good. Nice to see Endeavor own up to his faults and pledge to be better. The talk with All Might and seeing Shoto's behavior surely helped a lot.
Aoyama being the traitor is still weird to me. First of all I don't care as much as I would have if Kaminari turned out to be the traitor since I don't care for Aoyama as a character and I don't care for his quirk. And it is weird that he'd suddenly start behaving in such a suspicious manner when he has seemingly been pretty stealthy up until now.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter was good. Nice to see Endeavor own up to his faults and pledge to be better. The talk with All Might and seeing Shoto's behavior surely helped a lot.
Aoyama being the traitor is still weird to me. First of all I don't care as much as I would have if Kaminari turned out to be the traitor since I don't care for Aoyama as a character and I don't care for his quirk. And it is weird that he'd suddenly start behaving in such a suspicious manner when he has seemingly been pretty stealthy up until now.
so what you're saying is that's a misdirection with Aoyama

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Did the public care that Nighteye died? Have they even been told?

More Deku cover up stories.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see this chapter animated, the part where Aoyama puts cheese in Deku's mouth is so out of the blue that I can't stop thinking(look a pun) about it.
Did the public care that Nighteye died? Have they even been told?

More Deku cover up stories.
Nighteye doesn't look like the most popular guy.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
These last two chapters fucking wrecked me, holy shit.

Endeavor. Wants. To. Make. Shoto. Proud. (๑ಥ﹏ಥ)ﻭ

R.I.P me. Feel free to attend my funeral, y'all.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
So when Mirio goes back to work he will be working for Centipede. I'm sure he can teach him a lot.
Nighteye doesn't look like the most popular guy.
I didn't get the impression that he was well-known.
I just feel like there are factors that should have made Deku's role more public knowledge. It it just kind of odd since they made sure that his role with Stain was covered up, but this time he was an official member of the raid so it shouldn't be an issue. Though I suppose it is unclear forthcoming the hero association is with information.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait until we get the montage of how he has been watching Deku throughout the series
PLhYqIM.jpg

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So when Mirio goes back to work he will be working for Centipede. I'm sure he can teach him a lot.

I just feel like there are factors that should have made Deku's role more public knowledge. It it just kind of odd since they made sure that his role with Stain was covered up, but this time he was an official member of the raid so it shouldn't be an issue. Though I suppose it is unclear forthcoming the hero association is with information.
But the manga already established that there were almost no witness, so while it is known that the mission happenned, very few people know what deku did.

Caldorosso

Jan 15, 2018
That man makes his move. IDK guys, sould pretty traitorious to me.

Also, Endeavor's not such a bad guy. Color me impressed.

Cow Pow

Oct 25, 2017
Endeavor's been a horrendous piece of shit for decades and it'll take more than a "I've been a tool" to make up for it. He's abused all of his children to various degrees and drove his wife to a psychotic breakdown, then just shoved her in a permanent care ward that he never visits.

One thing that i think was sort of glossed over, both in canon and analysis, is that he executes criminals. He vaporized a Nomu's head, just because he could, in a fight he was clearly winning to that point.

It's important to remember that Nomu's are victims and killing them when it isnt nessicary is pretty vile, too.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First of all I don't care as much as I would have if Kaminari turned out to be the traitor since I don't care for Aoyama as a character and I don't care for his quirk.

That reminds me, I don't care about Kaminari either.

Endeavor's been a horrendous piece of shit for decades and it'll take more than a "I've been a tool" to make up for it. He's abused all of his children to various degrees and drove his wife to a psychotic breakdown, then just shoved her in a permanent care ward that he never visits.

One thing that i think was sort of glossed over, both in canon and analysis, is that he executes criminals. He vaporized a Nomu's head, just because he could, in a fight he was clearly winning to that point.

It's important to remember that Nomu's are victims and killing them when it isnt nessicary is pretty vile, too.

Yea, but like... It begins.

Caldorosso

Jan 15, 2018

I thought so to, then I read this;
Endeavor: Not (Entirely) What He Seems
https://www.reddit.com/r/BokuNoHeroAcademia/comments/7kqmt4/endeavor_not_entirely_what_he_seems/

It's complicated.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao

Yeah I wish the public knew of Deku's work in this operation. Dude was clutch and he's only 15.

Can't wait until we get the montage of how he has been watching Deku throughout the series
PLhYqIM.jpg
Oh shit!

He's not gonna change overnight and it's the same with our view of him, but at least give him a chance to set himself on a better path.

That reminds me, I don't care about Kaminari either.

I don't care about him as a character either but at least his quirk is cool and the idea that he was pretending to be weak would've made for an interesting shake-up in the power balance of the students.

Cow Pow

Oct 25, 2017
I thought so to, then I read this;
Endeavor: Not (Entirely) What He Seems
https://www.reddit.com/r/BokuNoHeroAcademia/comments/7kqmt4/endeavor_not_entirely_what_he_seems/

It's complicated.
I skimmed this because I'm at work, but there are some pretty bad assumptions in here about how child abuse works and how people cope with it. Im going to edit and go a bit further to say that the person writing this didnt actually do any research into abuse as it seems to be based off a lot of assumptions about what abuse looks like and how people react.

And a lot of wild assumptions based on... not a lot. Like, "Endeavor was cheering on All Might against All for One!" First of all, the panel he uses as evidence is AfO taunting Endeavor. Also, so what? Endeavor isn't going to cheer on the villain firing kamehamehas at a city just because hes fighting a rival he doesnt like.

Last edited:

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
I skimmed this because I'm at work, but there are some pretty bad assumptions in here about how child abuse works and how people cope with it. Im going to edit and go a bit further to say that the person writing this didnt actually do any research into abuse as it seems to be based off a lot of assumptions about what abuse looks like and how people react.

And a lot of wild assumptions based on... not a lot. Like, "Endeavor was cheering on All Might against All for One!" First of all, the panel he uses as evidence is AfO taunting Endeavor. Also, so what? Endeavor isn't going to cheer on the villain firing kamehamehas at a city just because hes fighting a rival he doesnt like.
We discussed that theory some pages back. I'm open to the idea of Endeavor possibly redeeming himself, but he need to work very hard for it, trying to erase his past transgressions as some big scope plan does not sit well with me.
If you ask me the most interesting way this end is with Endeavor genuinely becoming a better person, but his family never completely forgiving him

Cow Pow

Oct 25, 2017
We discussed that theory some pages back. I'm open to the idea of Endeavor possibly redeeming himself, but he need to work very hard for it, trying to erase his past transgressions as some big scope plan does not sit well with me.
If you ask me the most interesting way this end is with Endeavor genuinely becoming a better person, but his family never completely forgiving him
This i agree with. I prefer Endeavor as "i was a selfish asshole and I did great harm to my family and i need to make up for it even if i never truely can" than "i had a secret plan all along!"

Not only is the latter bad writing and makes Endeavor a much flatter character, it is extremely close to justifying and pardoning his abuse.

I also like a theory that hinges on Endeavor being not as bad as the story presents and relies on extreme nitpicking and 4th dimensional chess basically ignores the possible hints of Dabi's origins, unless i missed it once my eyes started glazing over from the newspaper-clippings-covering-the-walls conspiracy theorizing :V

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I'm of the mind that it's just a red herring, the Aoyama thing. He could actually be the traitor, but my gut says this is just another thing that's going to turn out to be not what we expected.

Especially since I just re-read the training camp arc (and half-way through Kamino arc) today and I find it hard to imagine the kid who was so terrified of the villains and helped save Tokoyami to be the traitor. Throw in his moment during the license exam arc as well, and I just really can't imagine it happening. Unless... He's been helping them out without really knowing the consequences of his actions, e.g. he doesn't realize he's communicating with villains, they tricked him into thinking they're fans and he's just blinded by his vanity, etc.

Although, the final line referring to Aoyama as "that man" does imply something... pretty big. Ehh?
Dont worry, I am pretty sure the top 3 is me, you and Caliph.
*clears throat* It's actually you, me, and Caliph. Just saying. Not like I'm keeping count or anything.
No reaction to Momo schooling deku at calculus?
First of all, I appreciate you expecting a reaction from me regarding Momo. Second, well, it's not a surprise to see student #1 beat student #4. Cute scene, though, and I was happy to simply see Momo again after so long. And Momo was very cute as usual.

I didn't see Bakugo's grin when I read it the first two times, but damn, that is hilarious. I also find it really... amusing, and in a genuine way, that Mineta spoke to Deku afterwards. Deku's actually one of the students he speaks with the most, and I'm assuming it's a result of them ending up together during the USJ attack, and simple admiration for Deku's power. I like it.
He's abused all of his children to various degrees
We don't actually know that... And just to be clear, I'm not trying to excuse him at all. It's just that we literally do not know how he treated any of his other kids. Fuyumi seems to be perfectly fine. The other two are nowhere to be seen except the red-head's probably Dabi.

I feel shitty about this, especially considering that Shoto's my favorite character, but I've been hoping for Endeavor to redeem himself since maybe the Stain arc in the anime. Yes, he is an absolute piece of shit for what he did to his family, how he just craves power, but he hasn't been terrible at all to Shoto since the sports festival arc, and I'm a sucker for redemption stories and fluffy parent-child moments, I guess? He should never be forgiven for those. He can, however, do his best to become a better person, and that's what's clearly going to happen. He's going to try to be one, anyway.

I'm looking at it now like he's Kratos. Greek era Kratos is Endeavor prior to... the Stain arc, maybe. Now he's on his way to becoming Norse era Kratos. Still very rough around the edges, but definitely trying.
Just saw All Might was announced for One's Justice. And apparently all his moves are "ultimate-class".
Got a link? It's not on the website yet, and I don't see anything on their Twitter either.

Cow Pow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm of the mind that it's just a red herring, the Aoyama thing. He could actually be the traitor, but my gut says this is just another thing that's going to turn out to be not what we expected.

Especially since I just re-read the training camp arc (and half-way through Kamino arc) today and I find it hard to imagine the kid who was so terrified of the villains and helped save Tokoyami to be the traitor. Throw in his moment during the license exam arc as well, and I just really can't imagine it happening. Unless... He's been helping them out without really knowing the consequences of his actions, e.g. he doesn't realize he's communicating with villains, they tricked him into thinking they're fans and he's just blinded by his vanity, etc.

Although, the final line referring to Aoyama as "that man" does imply something... pretty big. Ehh?

*clears throat* It's actually you, me, and Caliph. Just saying. Not like I'm keeping count or anything.

First of all, I appreciate you expecting a reaction from me regarding Momo. Second, well, it's not a surprise to see student #1 beat student #4. Cute scene, though, and I was happy to simply see Momo again after so long. And Momo was very cute as usual.

I didn't see Bakugo's grin when I read it the first two times, but damn, that is hilarious. I also find it really... amusing, and in a genuine way, that Mineta spoke to Deku afterwards. Deku's actually one of the students he speaks with the most, and I'm assuming it's a result of them ending up together during the USJ attack, and simple admiration for Deku's power. I like it.

We don't actually know that... And just to be clear, I'm not trying to excuse him at all. It's just that we literally do not know how he treated any of his other kids. Fuyumi seems to be perfectly fine. The other two are nowhere to be seen except the red-head's probably Dabi.

I feel shitty about this, especially considering that Shoto's my favorite character, but I've been hoping for Endeavor to redeem himself since maybe the Stain arc in the anime. Yes, he is an absolute piece of shit for what he did to his family, how he just craves power, but he hasn't been terrible at all to Shoto since the sports festival arc, and I'm a sucker for redemption stories and fluffy parent-child moments, I guess? He should never be forgiven for those. He can, however, do his best to become a better person, and that's what's clearly going to happen. He's going to try to be one, anyway.

I'm looking at it now like he's Kratos. Greek era Kratos is Endeavor prior to... the Stain arc, maybe. Now he's on his way to becoming Norse era Kratos. Still very rough around the edges, but definitely trying.

Got a link? It's not on the website yet, and I don't see anything on their Twitter either.
Neglect is a type of abuse and it is made very clear he basically ignored his other kids.

Fuyumi being put together in the, what, 4 lines shes had means little. One, shes only had a few lines to begin with. Two, shes basically had to take the role of a mother figure for Shouto since their mother was hospitalized. She could just as easily be compartmentalizing or just not letting Shouto see it. She's an adult, and he's her baby brother, who suffered under Endeavor in a different way than she did.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Btw, first time we see Eri without the bandages
5D2ZvVg.png

Chisaki deserved worse.

Caldorosso

Jan 15, 2018
If anything Endeavor's been presented from Todoroki's perspective exclusively. Not implying Endeavor's a saint or anything, but he's not a one-dimensional child beater like initially assumed (Todo's older sister for example). If anything he's been too hard on the golden child. There's an interesting little artistic choice in Todoroki's mom too, you almost never see her eyes.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Overhaul. Worst villain of 2017 from what I read.

And I like how the traitor may have finally shown himself, and we're all like, "Oh god, please don't be him"

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Saw a reddit comment suggest that Aoyama might be Toga... Cue the collective eye-rolls and "Here we go again." Said comment suggested that his strange behavior can be likened to "Camie's" strange behavior (which was mentioned in the arc, and her abduction was mentioned in this chapter) and, wait for it...

He was drinking blood.

Then there's the whole stalking Deku thing, of course. I don't wanna think about the possibility of Toga being in disguise again, plus there shouldn't be any reason why she would have access to Aoyama's blood to transform into him in the first place. But... ehh, worth considering, I guess. Not paying it much mind, though.

He just has a crush on him. Gotta be.

If he does turn out to be the traitor, though... I'd be relieved that I can now stop being suspicious and wary of Kaminari because I do like the guy quite a lot if I ignore the theory. I also don't want it to be Hagakure because she's adorable and it would be too predictable and cliche (I think?) to make the traitor be the invisible girl.
Can't post the One's Justice news cause it's a magazine scan
Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

Saw it. He doesn't look great. Oh boy.
Neglect is a type of abuse and it is made very clear he basically ignored his other kids.

Fuyumi being put together in the, what, 4 lines shes had means little. One, shes only had a few lines to begin with. Two, shes basically had to take the role of a mother figure for Shouto since their mother was hospitalized. She could just as easily be compartmentalizing or just not letting Shouto see it. She's an adult, and he's her baby brother, who suffered under Endeavor in a different way than she did.
Oh, okay, you're right. Fair points. Thought about the neglect but wasn't sure if it was considered abuse per se. Noted.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Ayoama got a cute little back story and proved his worth to the team. I strongly doubt he's the traitor.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ayoama got a cute little back story and proved his worth to the team. I strongly doubt he's the traitor.
I mean, this is the point I was making earlier; if he is the traitor, he's probably not doing it because "lol evil rulez heroez drulez" or because he's some kind of psychopath, which is why I think that the people talking about him needing a battle upgrade are also missing the mark; if he's really the traitor, he'll be an antagonist, but not a villain, and he'll have a pretty understandable reason for doing it, too.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't want anyone (in class A, anyway) to be the traitor. I like the theories, for Kaminari and Hagakure, but I also like the characters, so it's hard. Ugh. It's gotta be somebody in the class, though. 20 seats. Shinso's gotta sit somewhere, right?

---

I know everyone's hyped for season 3, but rereading the training camp arc just makes me so much more excited. It's gonna be such a great season. For the nth time now, I cannot wait to see Dabi in action!

Also, yeah, I can confirm that I am no longer as resilient to crying as I used to be. Several times throughout the day I almost choked up and stuff because of some heavy emotional scene. Like the scene of Iida confronting Deku in the following arc. MHA making me comfortable with my vulnerabilities. Blessed series is blessed.

Season 3's gonna make a mess out of me.
Ah, I see you are enjoying my factual statement. I am glad to have made your day a little brighter.

Really, NSESN was asking for it by bringing up Momo. So, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
...We still trash tho
Oh yeah, we definitely still trash.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt Aoyama is the traitor. I think it's a misdirection and he just has a crush on Deku or something. There's been compelling evidence to the traitor being Hagakure for a while now:

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/954012070994939905
Just so you know, in case you didn't, you can embed tweets. It's the media (looks like a... film roll?) button between the image button and the insert (plus symbol) button.

I don't know the difference between that theory and the one I know of, but here's the one I watched:

Status
Not open for further replies.