• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Deku is a beast. How can anyone dislike him as a MC. He was great in this episode as a coordinator and squad captain even when he couldn't use his own limbs to assist.
Amomg the cast hes pretty boring. Other characters would have made more interesting main characters. Theres a reason that at the poll closest to where were at in the anime, Baks soundly beat Midoriya in jpn and out of jpn populariry polls. HeroAca could have been amazing with Baks as lead. And imagine if hed have also got All Mights quirk! Best.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Amomg the cast hes pretty boring. Other characters would have made more interesting main characters. Theres a reason that at the poll closest to where were at in the anime, Baks soundly beat Midoriya in jpn and out of jpn populariry polls. HeroAca could have been amazing with Baks as lead. And imagine if hed have also got All Mights quirk! Best.
How would the main character being more powerful make the story better.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on him being boring, disagree on Bakugo being a better lead since that would get tiring real quick. (though he is a better character)

Last edited:

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how Bakugou and Kirishima are more interesting than Deku, but to each their own.

I guess Deku doesn't set off the Yaoi Goggles enough

xJasL5a.gif

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Invisible girl should be the protagonist. Then the story can be told from the perspective of a character that's entirely irrelevant. Would be groundbreaking.

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really like Bakugo as a character. He would not work as a main character unless this was a very different story.

Also, I like Deku. He's just so earnest. Also, at least he's not fucking yelling all the time like some other shonen MCs

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Bakugo dies.

And shipping is useless without anything tangible to base it on. Call me when we get some legit LGBT representation in the main cast, not just tertiary side characters or subtext that is never realized.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I really, really like Bakugo as a character. He would not work as a main character unless this was a very different story.

Also, I like Deku. He's just so earnest. Also, at least he's not fucking yelling all the time like some other shonen MCs
Yeah, MC screaming gets very grating after you've been through a few shonen shows. I wish I could find that video with the screaming compilation of the Black Clover MC, and it was only from the first episode iirc.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Bakugo dies.

And shipping is useless without anything tangible to base it on. Call me when we get some legit LGBT representation in the main cast, not just tertiary side characters or subtext that is never realized.

Would be really great to see a series with a LGBT romance as a part of the story but not the focus. Will never happen though given the commercial viability of it I think... at least not for now

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
He'd likely stay more similar to the original Sheldon-style character Horikoshi envisioned for him. But DTL is suggesting current Bakugou as a better MC than Deku.
He would still be grating to the author so probably in between a belligerent asshole with a polite facade but will learn the true meaning of being a hero

And Kirishima may be female

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Calling Deku boring is... I don't know how to explain, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Deku beats Bakugo in a lot of polls too, even Todoroki beats him

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Would be really great to see a series with a LGBT romance as a part of the story but not the focus. Will never happen though given the commercial viability of it I think... at least not for now
Or series with LGBT representation in all sorts of forms, as the focus, and otherwise! And I'm not talking yaoi/BL stuff that's not actually made with gay individuals in mind.

It's only impossible until someone makes it possible.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Calling Deku boring is... I don't know how to explain, it just doesn't make sense to me.

He's obviously a likable protagonist to plenty of people, but I'm not seeing how it's a controversial thing to call him boring.

It's not even an inherently bad thing. Todoroki is also "boring", yet at the same time he's a vastly more interesting character.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
There's more and more serious LGBT works being published these days at least. I've got my eye on My Brother's Husband and really enjoyed My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness (though perhaps more of a depression manga)

The day when a shonen hero or heroine will have a straight up LGBT romance arc though is probably still a ways off.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I can understand it, I just can't understand having that opinion and watching the show anyway. Deku, and more specifically his relationship with bakugo and All-Might, take up so much of the show.

Oct 25, 2017
There's more and more serious LGBT works being published these days at least. I've got my eye on My Brother's Husband and really enjoyed My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness (though perhaps more of a depression manga)

The day when a shonen hero or heroine will have a straight up LGBT romance arc though is probably still a ways off.

Yeah, I don't see it happening anytime soon which sucks. Hunter x Hunter is hard baiting though. I think Togashi actually had a gay character in YYH

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Someone will have the guts to go for it and then more will follow.

My Brother's Husband is already doing great things.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
And I don't count yuri-tease stuff like Queen's Blade or Valkyrie Drive, both of which are pretty much aimed at the ecchi market. I'm talking a mainstream work with broad cross-appeal.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of shonen stories there are plenty of decent LGBT characters in manga in the past few years, I feel. But yeah, we're far off from that happening in shows like this. Togashi is indeed an exception and a lot of people see Gon and Killua as in a queer relationship.

Horikoshi, make KiriBaku happen.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Yeah, MC screaming gets very grating after you've been through a few shonen shows. I wish I could find that video with the screaming compilation of the Black Clover MC, and it was only from the first episode iirc.

The main character from Black Clover recently had a character change a few episodes ago that is resulting in him screaming less and behaving more calmly in tense situations.

Also just want to point out that Dub Black Clover's MC has been generally less scream-y from the beginning. The dub made a good selection of voice actors for BC, which is not what I can say for MHA as some characters voices simply don't fit.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't a Jump manga I think Kiribaku could happen
The main character from Black Clover recently had a character change a few episodes ago that is resulting in him screaming less and behaving more calmly in tense situations.

Also just want to point out that Dub Black Clover's MC has been generally less scream-y from the beginning. The dub made a good selection of voice actors for BC, which is not what I can say for MHA as some characters voices simply don't fit.
Outside some side characters I think most voices are fine

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Those two are good steps in one way (it's not really super drawn attention to in Tiger's case and just kind of is how he is) and bad in others (the depiction of both as still incredibly muscly feminised huge male shapes basically)

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Was referring to Gon and Killua when I said baiting. Although if any writer was just going to make his main characters gay it would probably be Togashi. Guess we'll see where it goes (Who am I kidding, it's never going to end)

I don't consider them bait. They just have a really strong friendship, to the point where if it actually did turn into a romance down the line, it would be totally believable and not unearned at all.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Also have we talked about the fact that both Magne and Tiger are officially transgender?
I think Tiger is amazing. I don't know enough about Magne yet to have a strong opinion.

Are either going to be super important characters moving forward though? I don't read the manga but I don't foresee that.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't consider them bait. They just have a really strong friendship, to the point where if it actually did turn into a romance down the line, it would be totally believable and not unearned at all.

This.

I think Tiger is amazing. I don't know enough about Magne yet to have a strong opinion.

Are either going to be super important characters moving forward though? I don't read the manga but I don't foresee that.

You'll have to read and find out ;D

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Also wanted to point out that Deku is first and foremost a strategist. He is a Shikamaru/Batman esque character. Not sure how that's boring, as strategy in shonen is always the most exciting thing to me. Maybe others here just want cool explosions and punching but I appreciate the thought that goes into these combat situations.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perfect, thanks! Somehow I expected the number to be higher, a lot has happened so far!
Feel free to post impressions in the manga thread as you read it.
Can't you guys have this conversations when the arc ends?
This is something that has annoyed me with this arc. I skimmed over the DTL thing so this isn't about that but I disliked how there were people in the general anime thread who as soon as the arc started were like "omg the villains are invading again, it's the same shit this show is so bad" when you don't even have to wait too long to see how this arc is different. I just dislike people trying to get to the conclusion of an opinion before the matter they're discussing itself concludes.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also wanted to point out that Deku is first and foremost a strategist. He is a Shikamaru/Batman esque character. Not sure how that's boring, as strategy in shonen is always the most exciting thing to me. Maybe others here just want cool explosions and punching but I appreciate the thought that goes into these combat situations.

Nah, it's just his personality. As for the quirks, lol, there's several characters with quirks that would be much more fascinating to see how they'd work if said characters got to actually be the main protagonist. With that being said, Shikamaru's a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

That's the thing about Deku though. He covers the strategist part with his analyzing and quick thinking AND the cool explosions and punching with his glass cannon quirk. He's the best of both worlds really, which makes it really baffling to me when he's called boring.