DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode and adaptation, loved it way more than the manga version. Black Whip looks fantastic animated.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
New super powers out of nowhere completely unrelated to what he initially had is a bit disappointing. Also wanted to see more Phantom Thief in action.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Great episode.

A lot of people weren't pleased about the multiple Quirk reveal when it was revealed in the manga, but without saying anything more, people are generally positive towards it nowadays. It's been handled pretty well imo.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
episode 9:
i still hate the 4th fight even with anime animation, sorry
episode 10:
seeing deku cry is emotional. Ochako and Shinso are the best
also monoma speech is great, it is funny because it explains many of the bases of the plot

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
If you go back to the first teaser poster for this season you can see the black whip behind Deku

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you go back to the first teaser poster for this season you can see the black whip behind Deku
"New Power Is Awaking"

4RrjbNJ.png

A whole year in advance

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Great episode between the major OfA revelation, the Monoma scene with Shinso, and the Ochacho flaskback

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The One for All reveal is so fucking ridiculous for this arc I have no idea how to process it. Was NOT ready for that. Really, it's perfect that you're gonna drop a bomb like that in the middle of this slow paced arc (nothing wrong with slow paced arcs either, even if people tend to hate them).

Edit: deleted, will ask in the main thread

OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Interesting that mostly everyone seems to be immediately on board with this new revelation about the nature of OfA. It broke the fandom in half when it happened in the manga, at least that's what it felt like. I gotta admit I didn't like the idea at first but I've warmed up to it. It helps that this new quirk is basically Spider-Man's webs

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that mostly everyone seems to be immediately on board with this new revelation about the nature of OfA. It broke the fandom in half when it happened in the manga, at least that's what it felt like. I gotta admit I didn't like the idea at first but I've warmed up to it. It helps that this new quirk is basically Spider-Man's webs

I'm excited that the greatest superpower to ever exist is more than super strength and the will of the people. Now he's Mega Man

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much most of the Anime Onlys I've seen were hyped about the 6 quirks revelation which is a pleasant surprise compared to how Manga readers reacted

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It helps that it was dealt with quickly instead of feeling like it dragged like in the manga.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that manga readers disliked the multi quirk reveal, I love the idea
It was more split than universally disliked. I'd say it was generally positively received over time though, once people saw how it was executed.

The anime reaction seems pretty positive though which is neat to see

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I think one reason that Anime onlies are reacting better is that BONES did a good job of animating how destructive and out of control Black Whip was when it first manifested compared to the manga, makes it really feel like Deku is out of his depth with this new Quirk.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The One for All reveal is so fucking ridiculous for this arc I have no idea how to process it. Was NOT ready for that. Really, it's perfect that you're gonna drop a bomb like that in the middle of this slow paced arc (nothing wrong with slow paced arcs either, even if people tend to hate them).

Edit: deleted, will ask in the main thread
I said earlier in a spoiler tag I'm pretty sure this arc exists purely so this didn't happen in an actual villain fight because then it would seem like more of a convenient power up lmao

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They really a really good job showing deku's pain, that made ochako helping him be more impactful

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that manga readers disliked the multi quirk reveal, I love the idea

My issue is that it was poorly telegraphed, Deku is conveniently the first OfA user to ever do this, and finally that it felt like an overreaction for the original issue of OfA being a very boring powerset. Thought he'd get an additional quirk or enhancement at best given the scene on his bedroom from earlier, not six additional quirks lol

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Oh right, I've seen people call him that but luckily I've never seen Avatar so that didn't mean anything to me lol

I highly recommend it and I'm not western animation guy. Takes a while to get used to but once it does, it clicks and the animations are solid. I watched it last summer + Korra thanks to Netflix.

Oct 25, 2017
There's something visceral about seeing someone getting punched into oblivion. Deku has that power but since he didn't know how to utilize OFA, he busted up his arms. It makes sense that he'll be able to tap into the quirks of his predecessors because all of them had a quirk of their own plus OFA. OFA is mad OP now. He has OFA plus 7 more quirks and we don't know if Deku has a quirk of his own yet. I still remember his mom taking him that shady ass doctor.

So Deku has all these quirks that are amplified by OFA and he still has speed and his brain to utilize. He's gonna be a hero that's gonna attack villains from all angles like Spiderman.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My issue is that it was poorly telegraphed, Deku is conveniently the first OfA user to ever do this, and finally that it felt like an overreaction for the original issue of OfA being a very boring powerset. Thought he'd get an additional quirk or enhancement at best given the scene on his bedroom from earlier, not six additional quirks lol

The execution could have been better, but I honest thought it was going to happen from the start

Punching really hard vs a guy with endless quirks is boring indeed

And the fact that OFA was closely related with endless quirk man

The only thing I didn't see coming was that it would be from previous OFA users. I figured it would be closer to Rouge's steal

I'm excited that the greatest superpower to ever exist is more than super strength and the will of the people. Now he's Mega Man

I actually think the author is a mega man fan iirc

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand Black Whip. So Deku is the Avatar? So One for All's users all had different quirks? I thought One for All was the same for everyone.

OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I don't really understand Black Whip. So Deku is the Avatar? So One for All's users all had different quirks? I thought One for All was the same for everyone.
Only Deku and All Might were quirkless iirc. So all the other previous wielders had their own quirks when they got OfA. Deku is accessing the original quirk of previous holders

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Oh for some reason I thought One for All was reserved for people who were Quirkless. This shit sounds broken.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh for some reason I thought One for All was reserved for people who were Quirkless. This shit sounds broken.
All Might was actually looking to give it to someone at UA before he met Deku. We learned that Mirio was the prime candidate in the last couple seasons and he has a quirk.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought One for All recipients were quirkless. I guess that's just a Deku and All Might thing. Or some kinda retcon from mangaka. Ehhhh. Deku gonna be OP as fuck. I guess something will come up to depower his ass like how his body has been supposedly all messed up forever now.

And what's the deal with society in this universe. There's like no generational difference between the One For All users.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I thought One for All recipients were quirkless. I guess that's just a Deku and All Might thing. Or some kinda retcon from mangaka. Ehhhh. Deku gonna be OP as fuck. I guess something will come up to depower his ass like how his body has been supposedly all messed up forever now.

And what's the deal with society in this universe. There's like no generational difference between the One For All users.

I mean, most of them died pretty young. Presumably the generation gap isn't actually that big.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
All Might was actually looking to give it to someone at UA before he met Deku. We learned that Mirio was the prime candidate in the last couple seasons and he has a quirk.
Oh right. I remember that confusing me too. For some reason I thought it would replace his current quirk.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Oh right. I remember that confusing me too. For some reason I thought it would replace his current quirk.
Its relation to AfO and its ability to stack quirks is probably related too.

Also I kinda get the Avatar comparisons, but Deku isn't letting Banjo take over his body or anything. Though it would be hilarious to see a body-snatched Deku interact with his friends. Banjo would probably try and kill Bakugou

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

After his fight with Overhaul I was thinking "Yeah, All Might should've given it to this dude"

He probably would've been able to phase through reality.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want to say the first wielder(AfO's little brother) was quirkless as well

So the first, All Might and Deku were quirkless but the other 6 had quirks

Ohhh this is good too

All for One's brother had a quirk initially. He could pass it on to anyone he wanted. That's it, no other abilities. All for One gave him the power stockpiling ability, thinking he was quirkless. Those two merged into One for All.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
If there's one thing I kinda wish the anime emphasized more it's that black whip can come from anywhere on Deku. In the manga we can see it has effects in the area around his eyes implying it can shoot from anywhere.