darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I rewatched all of the first 4 seasons in the last 2 weeks cause its been a while. Overhaul arc was honestly better than I remembered although Gentle was still the best part of S4.

The provisional license arc was so fucking bad though. God that was rough to get through again. If you told me it was a filler arc I would have believed you.

OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I rewatched all of the first 4 seasons in the last 2 weeks cause its been a while. Overhaul arc was honestly better than I remembered although Gentle was still the best part of S4.

The provisional license arc was so fucking bad though. God that was rough to get through again. If you told me it was a filler arc I would have believed you.
That reminds me of the one guy who was convinced the culture festival was filler. That was one of the best parts of last season

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I only really appreciated the culture festival arc in hindsight. Getting through it was annoying though.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind it. It was a lukewarm e1. Also, I don't remember the invisibility girl fighting in the previous seasons so it was nice seeing her do something.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Big meh - not a great start. Has the be the worst filler/recap episode yet. Also dissapointed with the opening and ending - barely any animation.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I swear, they think the people that watch this show are brain dead, lmao. Every single time there's a new season you spend a decent amount of the first episode having shit like quirks being explained to you like it's fucking quantum physics or something.

Trigger

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Very underwhelming start. I don't know who in the fan base really needed a reminder of what each of the students can do. Jujustu Kaisen spoiled me on being a pretty fast paced show with good animation. It's going to be a struggle if this is an indication of what to expect for the season.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Very underwhelming start. I don't know who in the fan base really needed a reminder of what each of the students can do. Jujustu Kaisen spoiled me on being a pretty fast paced show with good animation. It's going to be a struggle if this is an indication of what to expect for the season.

I mean there aren't 5 seasons of JJK.

Its a recap ep for folks who have heard of the show but haven't watched any of it. They shouldn't have sold it as the first episode in the new season.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

Its a recap ep for folks who have heard of the show but haven't watched any of it. They shouldn't have sold it as the first episode in the new season.

I saw last week they were going to call it episode 0 cause if this but I guess no streaming site actually used that label.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Can we please not have manga readers coming in here and saying stuff like "Wow can't wait for the next arc" "The next arc is going to be great!" or "X character is really going to be a big part of the next arc" The last one was annoying because before it even happened I expected Jiro to have a large role to play in the final eps of last season

Trigger

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA

Hopefully there won't be five seasons of JJK. But I agree, if it was listed as a recap I wouldn't have expected too much.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this is a hot take or something, but My Hero OPs are so fucking bland. They make it hard to be excited about anything. OP3 is still king.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I swear, they think the people that watch this show are brain dead, lmao. Every single time there's a new season you spend a decent amount of the first episode having shit like quirks being explained to you like it's fucking quantum physics or something.

Remember this is a show aimed at kids. There's a reason they always have those eyepatches with the character's name and their quirk. This isn't much different than Pokemon explaining it's rules for the 1000th time

OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Can we please not have manga readers coming in here and saying stuff like "Wow can't wait for the next arc" "The next arc is going to be great!" or "X character is really going to be a big part of the next arc" The last one was annoying because before it even happened I expected Jiro to have a large role to play in the final eps of last season
Yes, its even in the OP.

DO NOT HINT AT THINGS TO COME.

Just let the anime onlies experience things as it happens like we did. I've already seen some people hinting at things and let's just...not

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty disappointing OP, I doubt anything's ever going to measure up with Odd Future again in this show, but Polaris was still a really great one.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Yes, its even in the OP.

DO NOT HINT AT THINGS TO COME.

Just let the anime onlies experience things as it happens like we did. I've already seen some people hinting at things and let's just...not

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I saw so many "hints" at things to come. Even when someone posted a thread for one of the trailers, people were jumping in to
:
To say about how this current arc, the 1A vs 1B isn't very good and they can't wait for the one after this. I like to think no one is doing this maliciously, but saying that just tells me to not expect any plot twists or surprises in this arc because it's boring and straightforward, but to look forward to the next one. Which not only ruins any suspense I might have for the current story but makes me anticipate something that may not live up to the hype, especially when a character name is mentioned. I might just dip from this thread until the season is over. Even then, people will jump in to talk about what they expect in Season 6

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry but what a waste of an episode it felt like. 5 Seasons in I don't think we need to be introduced to these heroes every single season like this. I'm excited to see where the actual plot is heading though.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but what a waste of an episode it felt like. 5 Seasons in I don't think we need to be introduced to these heroes every single season like this. I'm excited to see where the actual plot is heading though.
It's a series for children that airs during a children's timeslot. The introductions every episode and filler/recap episode at the start of the season is solely for the kids. The intros for the cast every episode is removed from the bluray releases.

OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Yeah, I can't remember the last time I saw so many "hints" at things to come. Even when someone posted a thread for one of the trailers, people were jumping in to
:
To say about how this current arc, the 1A vs 1B isn't very good and they can't wait for the one after this. I like to think no one is doing this maliciously, but saying that just tells me to not expect any plot twists or surprises in this arc because it's boring and straightforward, but to look forward to the next one. Which not only ruins any suspense I might have for the current story but makes me anticipate something that may not live up to the hype, especially when a character name is mentioned. I might just dip from this thread until the season is over. Even then, people will jump in to talk about what they expect in Season 6
A lot of it is people's opinions but since they already read the manga it can feel like they are telling you what to expect. Very possible you could feel the opposite about stuff they did

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Damn even for a recap episode, you can tell they upped the animation budget. Character models and animation look phenomenal compared to last season (which was already pretty dang good...at times).

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Damn even for a recap episode, you can tell they upped the animation budget. Character models and animation look phenomenal compared to last season (which was already pretty dang good...at times).
Yep, also it have even some sakuga moments like Nejire's attack and Ojiro's hits
For some reason animators love Ojiro

edit:
The singer of the ending did live in instagram

Last edited:

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
It's a series for children that airs during a children's timeslot. The introductions every episode and filler/recap episode at the start of the season is solely for the kids. The intros for the cast every episode is removed from the bluray releases.
I often forget the show is for kids with how bloody and violent it can get. As well as the shitty fan service.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MHA fanservice is below or at the same level of many of the shounen jump contemporaries I would say, I think only Jujutsu of the big ones really has almost to no fanservice

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you knew this episode was going to be a recap and watched it anyway and feel like complaining about it, then feel free to put on your clown hat. Its the same shit every season.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So many cool easter eggs in the ending
unknown.png

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I guess every season and movie has to start with "80% of the population has quirks" and info cards for all of 1-A. They could have at least included the teachers and Big Three.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Really weird to see people call this a recap episode, when the only recap is a bit of the previous episode's fight.

Episode was decent. It was nice to see the upperclassmen help out the class during their training, and there was some decent animation for a chill starter episode.

Also, yeah, for those who want to skip this episode, you should at least watch the post-credits scene, since that's 100% canon.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching and the Ojiro part of the fight was really well done, you can feel someone at Bones is a big fan of him

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
What a boring first episode. It definitely felt like a big waste of time. Thanks for showing me all those characters and their abilities that I know about 5 seasons in. I guess I should kinda expect as much given the audience, but meh.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I guess every season and movie has to start with "80% of the population has quirks" and info cards for all of 1-A. They could have at least included the teachers and Big Three.
This is the part I'm most baffled about. They had two of the big three using abilities and everyone being all "THE BIG THREE?!?!"... and nothing.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018

The biggest issue I have with this series is that I find all the school/exam focused arcs to be a complete snoozefest. The school focused arcs just feel like they have no stakes and I dont find most of the characters interesting enough to carry the show without some villain battles. As a result I find half of every season of this show to be painfully boring.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Man, I hope this will be better than the last season, which I found extremely boring.

I think the only thing that wasn't awful in some way last season was the last two episodes. Everything else was either marred by terrible animation, was godawful school project stuff or was the Gentle Criminal filler-tier arc.

I caught the most recent MHA movie and it almost serves as a potential ending for the series if people want to see it as such and check out of the anime, since it basically captures the series' moral message in its totality. I imagine something identical might happen later on in the anime because it's too perfect to leave in the limbo zone of the semi-canon movies.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
People who hate the Gentle arc are just wrong.

(It's better in the manga bar the actual musical performance)

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Gentle was great. He's legitimately my favorite villain in the series so far. I'm baffled by the hate honestly. I really enjoyed the school festival arc because the stakes were low, I really don't care for shows where everything is always escalating.

The provisional license arc I hated because it just introduces dozens of characters in the most cursory way possible and they simply just haven't shown up since then and I wonder if they ever do, thats why it felt like filler honestly.

OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Gentle was great. He's legitimately my favorite villain in the series so far. I'm baffled by the hate honestly. I really enjoyed the school festival arc because the stakes were low, I really don't care for shows where everything is always escalating.

The provisional license arc I hated because it just introduces dozens of characters in the most cursory way possible and they simply just haven't shown up since then and I wonder if they ever do, thats why it felt like filler honestly.
Gentle was a great "villain" if you could even really call him that. Culture Festival was so good because it was about saving the soul of a little girl and not hero society or whatever. After the Overhaul arc we needed something with lower stakes

Provisional license arc is probably the worst arc in the series. It's not bad, just really bland

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Gentle arc is one of those rare filler arcs that aren't really filler that 90% of the people etiher hate or gives no fuck about (like Davy Bak in One Piece and Greed Island in Hunter x Hunter. Although they always bring some relevant shit to the overall story, the way they are structured is really unconventional)

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gentle arc is one of those rare filler arcs that aren't really filler that 90% of the people etiher hate or gives no fuck about (like Davy Bak in One Piece and Greed Island in Hunter x Hunter. Although they always bring some relevant shit to the overall story, the way they are structured is really unconventional)
Eh, I'd say the School Festival is generally pretty well received, at least in the manga. Maybe in the anime space it's more mixed, though the reddit threads at the time seemed generally positive and I saw a lot of sentiment that it was refreshing after the yakuza arc.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017

This was the inspiration for the OT title
719imUv54zL._RI_.jpg
Gentle was great if this was the actual tone.

But our protagonist inherited, at minimum, one of the best two abilities in the universe. So it just came off weird.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
except many love this arc

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Finished the episode. I actually really love the opening song and the ending song. It was nice to see the crew again but yikes! Some of the scenes had their faces look really weird and off at times. The ending part of the episode was the best. What the hell is Hawks doing!?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the episode. I actually really love the opening song and the ending song. It was nice to see the crew again but yikes! Some of the scenes had their faces look really weird and off at times. The ending part of the episode was the best. What the hell is Hawks doing!?
finally someone that watched the ending
it is such a cliffhanger

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Am I wrong... Did Dabi look way less detailed than he used to?