EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
I'm currently trying to catch up with MHA, but I was wondering if the show is still as popular as it used to be in the first seasons. It seems like no one's talking about it anymore.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm currently trying to catch up with MHA, but I was wondering if the show is still as popular as it used to be in the first seasons. It seems like no one's talking about it anymore.
It's "old news" among the internet anime community, but objectively speaking it's still one of the most popular manga/anime around.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Hm. I totally expected New Order to get absorbed mid-arc for the quintessential villain power up, but this was way better. Even if viewed as a plot device, it checks many boxes simultaneously and clearly a lot of effort was put into the design.

Grew to love the character immediately, so I felt that in the gut. Bravo. Very well done.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of a bit character who clearly had no chance to finish the job she was handled decently well. I was expecting her to get washed while accomplishing actual nothing, but using her as the means to power down Shigaraki from how absolutely absurd and unbeatable he was written to be in the last arc is a decent impact. Losing a great number of his quirks or whatever it was they said now makes it seem a bit more believable that non-Deku people from 1A could actually survive for more than 1.1 seconds if they're in a fight with him.

I did realize watching this one just how little I care for the All For One/One For All shadow realm stuff. Does not feel like the story needed all that stuff. Deku getting the extra quirks is cool and makes sense for the protagonist, but all the stuff about old wielders and connections between the powers and AFO absorbing Shigaraki is just blah I don't care. And it's probably going to be a primary way this gets solved so that's a damper.

Last edited:

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, what a rake to start the season with. This has to be one of the fastest Worfings I've ever seen. I know American characters in anime exist only to job, but c'mon. You introduce this character as the world's strongest hero and she just dies instantly in her first fight. That doesn't make Shigaraki look strong; it makes Star & Stripe look like a joke.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I'm anime only for MHA and lemme say that.... I love MHA and will always have a soft spot for it. Early MHA was crazy good. The problem is.... when the writing is really good, it's super good. And when the writing is really bad, its REALLY bad. The whole Todoroki and his family dynamic was really good and engrossing. Shigaraki? LOL Nope. He has no charisma or screen presence at all. Same for AFO. Horrible design and he's not even a likable villain.

And then there's the whole class thing. Too many characters that I just don't care about. This ain't Naruto where I had multiple favorite characters outside of Naruto and (young) Sasuke. MHA keeps insisting that everyone in the class deserves spotlight and shine when they don't. I don't hate those characters. I do like them but I just don't care for them.

So Deku's "my friends are my power!" thing gets annoying and grating at times when the camera shows the guy who talks to animals or the Tail guy or the guy who has a tape quirk or the guy who looks like Kakashi or etc. Like right now for example! The preview is showcasing the girl who turns invisible. Do I really care about her? No at all but I am somewhat curious to see what angle the episode is gonna do. Like, this ain't like Bleach where I was actually itching to find out more about characters. Same for Demon Slayer. I actually wanna know more about Slayer's characters backstories. MHA and all these students? I don't hate them but I don't really care for them.

Oct 25, 2017
It's more that people just wanted her to survive since she was just introduced, she could have lost her quirk but stopped the decay but I guess there was no room for her in the story

Yeah you could have wrote this in a way where she doesn't die but I have zero idea what you do with this character narratively from here

Rustyspider13

Shinra Employee
Nov 16, 2023
I'm a sucker for heroic sacrifices so Cassie's fate hit for me. I think we all knew that the moment she and Shigaraki started fighting that there was no way they were both walking away. And Shigaraki has plot armor... so yeah. I liked the fact that Cassie got one over on AFO using her smarts when early on she was being doubted for not having the mental strength to utilize her quirk fully. Narratively, her death gives a decent explanation as to why other countries of the world are fine with Japan descending into anarchy. Also, the Admiral Akbar reference made me chuckle.

EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
I'm anime only for MHA and lemme say that.... I love MHA and will always have a soft spot for it. Early MHA was crazy good. The problem is.... when the writing is really good, it's super good. And when the writing is really bad, its REALLY bad. The whole Todoroki and his family dynamic was really good and engrossing. Shigaraki? LOL Nope. He has no charisma or screen presence at all. Same for AFO. Horrible design and he's not even a likable villain.

And then there's the whole class thing. Too many characters that I just don't care about. This ain't Naruto where I had multiple favorite characters outside of Naruto and (young) Sasuke. MHA keeps insisting that everyone in the class deserves spotlight and shine when they don't. I don't hate those characters. I do like them but I just don't care for them.

So Deku's "my friends are my power!" thing gets annoying and grating at times when the camera shows the guy who talks to animals or the Tail guy or the guy who has a tape quirk or the guy who looks like Kakashi or etc. Like right now for example! The preview is showcasing the girl who turns invisible. Do I really care about her? No at all but I am somewhat curious to see what angle the episode is gonna do. Like, this ain't like Bleach where I was actually itching to find out more about characters. Same for Demon Slayer. I actually wanna know more about Slayer's characters backstories. MHA and all these students? I don't hate them but I don't really care for them.
I completely agree, especially about the side characters.

crazy_man185

Dec 12, 2023
I actually wanted to learn more about side characters like Koda and Tooru. The former cause I am a animal lover and I wanted to see more about mutant discrimination from a non-animal quirk user. The latter cause of the interesting implications of an always on invisible power and how that effect thier every day life.

That and my bias of having more to work with my fanfiction writing. ;p

Like I get not being able to include them with all the fights but I feel like the Prime time to expand on most if the side characters would have been in the down time between arcs with school stuff.

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Episode is out

This one was also controversial during the manga but that's mainly due to the fact that manga readers were speculating who the traitor could be for years and when it ended up being a minor character and the reluctant traitor trope, most ended up being disappointed, Horikoshi did ended up saying in a interview that the traitor plotline was never meant to be a long mystery, it was going to be revealed during the camp arc but it got pushed back when the arc was cut short due to not ranking well with Japanese readers

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Episode is out

This one was also controversial during the manga but that's mainly due to the fact that manga readers were speculating who the traitor could be for years and when it ended up being a minor character and the reluctant traitor trope, most ended up being disappointed, Horikoshi did ended up saying in a interview that the traitor plotline was never meant to be a long mystery, it was going to be revealed during the camp arc but it got pushed back when the arc was cut short due to not ranking well with Japanese readers
Do you mean the camp with the pussycats? That's crazy to leave the traitor reveal for another couple hundred chapters. Also, I have no idea why that camp would rank low with readers, it seems to check all boxes for a decent MHA arc.

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Do you mean the camp with the pussycats? That's crazy to leave the traitor reveal for another couple hundred chapters. Also, I have no idea why that camp would rank low with readers, it seems to check all boxes for a decent MHA arc.
Yep that arc, it was just the ToC rankings but since Horikoshi already had 2 series immediately cancelled I can see why he had a quick reaction

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Oh it was just ToC? Isn't that shit mainly just the magazine choosing who to promote?
Yeah but a lot of series( mostly new ones) get cancelled specifically because of ranking low on it, MHA at that time was big enough that it would be safe even if it had a few chapters at the bottom but Horikoshi's last 2 series were cancelled because of low ToC ranking so he would have a immediate reaction to seeing the rankings go down early on the series

Last edited:

Rustyspider13

Shinra Employee
Nov 16, 2023
I had forgotten about the traitor plotline completely lol. So, it came as a surprise to me. Especially the fact they faked me out with it looking like Hagakure at first. Heroes using Aoyama's connection to AFO to spring a trap is a good way to kickstart the fight in the week extension that they have. I'm glad the story is moving at a good pace.
I hope nobody betrays Class 1-A
This was a straight-up spoiler huh? I saw this at the beginning of the thread and it stood in the back of my mind. I was still surprised because I thought it'd be Hagakure, but this was an uncool thing to do.

crazy_man185

Dec 12, 2023
I had forgotten about the traitor plotline completely lol. So, it came as a surprise to me. Especially the fact they faked me out with it looking like Hagakure at first. Heroes using Aoyama's connection to AFO to spring a trap is a good way to kickstart the fight in the week extension that they have. I'm glad the story is moving at a good pace.

This was a straight-up spoiler huh? I saw this at the beginning of the thread and it stood in the back of my mind. I was still surprised because I thought it'd be Hagakure, but this was an uncool thing to do.

That was a shitty thing to do yeah...

Yeah back in the manga I had a big feeling that it was a fake out with Hagakure (her bit was the cliffhanger for the chapter) considering it was since she has had almost zero screen time. It would cheapen the plot line if so. While forever ago, at least Aoyama had set-up.

Last edited:

Rustyspider13

Shinra Employee
Nov 16, 2023
That was a shitty thing to do yeah...

Yeah back in the manga I had a big feeling that it was a fake out with Hagakure (her bit was the cliffhanger for the chapter) considering it was since she has had almost zero screen time. It would cheapen the plot line if so. While forever ago, at least Aoyama had set-up.
I liked that they showed Aoyama's motivations too. It makes sense that rich parents would do anything to give their child a happy future. It again shows just how dire the situation is for the quirkless in society.

crazy_man185

Dec 12, 2023
It's an interesting plot point. Basically what the humans in X-men universe feared would eventually happen. Sadly not really looked at in depth in this series but interesting nonetheless.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Man they are really doing a great job with how the show looks so far. Really strong art especially in the scene within the woods. I was worried they might cut corners, because this is an area where there's a lot of sitting around and yapping, but they did very well imo. Lets keep it up!

Dec 17, 2022
So far this season isn't doing it for me (I know, it's too early to judge).

From S&S wipe as a jobber after an introduction, to this silly woods exposition of the traitor.

Someone compared it to Titan? At least that show was a slow burn and kind of a shock, given the traitor's actions and earlier goalsā€¦ this just seems like a goofy "Lets speak out in the woods and not a confined and secured spaceā€¦ for the sake of plot developement! Oops, people heard us" silly ass scene trying to tug at heart strings.

What is even going on here?
Edit: Finished the episode. Mehā€¦ I suppose the only response is "It's shonen, what else do you expect?"

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Would've been upset if it was the invisible girl because it would have been entirely unearned. Laser boy is better as there were at least some small indications. Surprised to learn it was planned from the beginning though.