The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
12 & 16 is definitely fine for the kids to sit by themselves. I flew alone with my sisters at age 10 or so, (10+14+16). But ... guy clearly wants a break from his wife and kids. TOtally fine that the wife wants a break from the kids too.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. That is some Larry David-ass logic from that husband lol

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of the sort of relationship a person gets into after ditching their caring partner to see what else is out there because you are bored.

Here is your end result. Best of luck.

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
Nah, this is a NTA.

Let the kids stew in economy. They'll be fine. They'd probably be glad to be rid of sitting next to a parent and they're getting a free trip anyway. Parents either need to take turns or husband pays an extra first-class ticket for the wife.
I hadn't considered that the kids might enjoy being away from the parents. Either way he's a super douche on that I agree, lol

Oct 25, 2017
"lol she just wants to abandon the kids"

So fucking what? Let her have a break too. What is this passive aggressive shaming lol

The dad is an asshole, but wants a break. Wanting a break is okay. Mom wants one too. The kids would be fine in coach alone also. If they can afford it, fine, but they need to get over leaving their kids alone in coach. They're not exactly going MIA leaving their kids unattended in a big city or something for a month, it's a fucking plane everyone is sealed into for <12 hours. they'll be fine.

Fuck these Paris flying rich people anyway.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the relationship. I would personally have my wife on first class. Is about priorities. I love my life and wouldn't risk it for a plane ride.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I know a guy who thinks it's weird that my partner and I share interests and hobbies and like to do almost everything together. He barely does anything with his wife and kids and spends most of his free time in his own space playing games with the door shut. I could see him doing this.

2e8156c6-aaf0-4350-8392-8b85779d8fa7_text.gif

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The Economy Plus thing is irrelevant. a) The kids don't need it. b) It would make zero difference as the kids would still be on their own, and they are old enough for that anyway.

If they've decided as a family that they aren't willing to take the expense of two first class tickets, the husband and wife should be sharing that time in first class.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Oh get out of here 12 & 16 are fine by themselves in coach. You almost have to admire the gall. lol

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a savage lol.

I personally couldn't do that to a spouse. But, if I were the kids age I wouldn't mind sitting coach by myself. either.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This guy has to be crazy. Like, I have to think he did the calculus and came to the conclusion that the awkwardness, resentment, etc is worth it.

Oct 30, 2017
Here's what my sperm contributed. Have fun.

Yeah, husband's a selfish dick. Either both parents should ride first class and let the kids babysit themselves in coach or he needs to nut up and help her handle them if they can't possibly be left alone.

Maebashi

Mar 27, 2022
Dad might be forking out for everyones tickets, and he wants to treat himself with an upgrade.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad my dad left when he did, at least we had a happy life at home without him instead of dealing with bs like this

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
They both sound miserable, but he's an asshole. International first class tickets are 3-4 times the cost of business class, why not put the whole family there? 3 Coach + 1 First Class = 4 Business Class roughly in price. The kids wouldn't even have to be in the same row.

rac

Oct 25, 2017
everyone in here like the kids will be fine alone....

then get them two first class tickets and the adults can sit in economy

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
This. Should be either both of them in first class or none of them tbh
I'd be okay with taking turns as well. Kind of weird, but not crazy. However, one spouse always flying first class while the other gets saddled with coach and doesn't like it? 100% douche territory.

It is perfectly normal for parents to treat themselves or give themselves preferentially treatment on luxuries. Do you expect parents to buy their kids nicer cars than they themselves drive? How do you feel about parents having a master bedroom with ensuite bath but forcing their kids to have smaller rooms and share a hallway bathroom? Going out to a fancy restaurant for date night and leaving the kids with a sitter?

Last edited:

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
This has got to be one of those invented questions for this type of column? Like dad who was marrying his daughter's bridesmaid, and daughter not knowing what to do about being invited to their wedding.

It's so painfully obvious that in any kind of normal human relationship, in a situation like this husband and wife would at least be taking turns in the first class seat during the flight - it's got to be fake.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
If it's gotten to this point in the relationship that there's such a communication breakdown of needs (more space needed) then this was not a successful monogamous relationship and it's time for both to go separate ways.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
This has got to be one of those invented questions for this type of column? Like dad who was marrying his daughter's bridesmaid, and daughter not knowing what to do about being invited to their wedding.

It's so painfully obvious that in any kind of normal human relationship, in a situation like this husband and wife would at least be taking turns in the first class seat during the flight - it's got to be fake.
In a world where Steven Crowder exists, this scenario seems entirely believable to me. Though, even Crowder got his ass divorced, so perhaps it's only a matter of time for this couple.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Husband is paying to get away from the wife and kids. He's a prick… simple as that

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
That is not fair at all. Why does she even have to ask? Marriage means everything is 50/50, including first class seats!

rac

Oct 25, 2017
It is perfectly normal for parents to treat themselves or give themselves preferentially treatment on luxuries. Do you expect parents to buy their kids nicer cars than they themselves drive? How do you feel about parents having a master bedroom with ensuite bath but forcing their kids to have smaller rooms and share a hallway bathroom? Going out to a fancy restaurant for date night and leaving the kids with a sitter?

if their father is constantly on first class trips while the whole family has to deal in economy id think the kids would be more stressed than this dope

they should get treated to something good instead

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I know a guy who thinks it's weird that my partner and I share interests and hobbies and like to do almost everything together. He barely does anything with his wife and kids and spends most of his free time in his own space playing games with the door shut. I could see him doing this.

2e8156c6-aaf0-4350-8392-8b85779d8fa7_text.gif

My parents and my wife's parents question us all the time because my wife and I have the same hobbies and do stuff together.

Really fuckin weird trying to push us as the weird ones.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
My friend does this but he's morbidly obese and it's more convenient for him . I don't blame him one bit.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
if their father is constantly on first class trips while the whole family has to deal in economy id think the kids would be more stressed than this dope

they should get treated to something good instead
I think the kids deserve first class over the father because he is a jackass, however I am not sure why you think the mother deserves to be stuck in economy. I took your post to mean you take issue with parents flying first class while the kids fly in economy.
My friend does this but he's morbidly obese and it's more convenient for him . I don't blame him one bit.
That could be a reasonable motive, but I still think it's important to have buy in from their spouse.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, kids will be fine. They'd probably appreciate being away from mom and dad, and have no used for the drink specials.

Luixfern

Oct 27, 2017
Can they not rotate? one sits in first class for half the flight then switch? Husband is a dick... and yet, gotta respect the strong pimp hand.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I could upgrade me and my partner and leave kids behind. Kids don't care just make sure they have gadgets.

Leaving your partner with the kids so you can get alone time upgraded is fucking shitty lol.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
the fact this is real is funny to me. also the fact they got an ethicist to weigh in is even funnier…it should be like one of those "voices" articles from the onion. just ask random New Yorkers on the street what they think of this guy LOL

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
This is the strangest thing for me to read because all this really reads out to me is that they have some much deeper marriage issues that they need counseling for if you can't even sit next to each on a flight like an actual family.

It's like the wife and kids are accessories in this kind of relationship.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It's dick move but I can understand why the husband does that(and by understand, I'm not saying that I agree with it).