• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/5ieXgMmjPJo?si=_oMPdA-77c6W909h

A really cool YouTube series I stumbled upon when it recommended me a recent video of his about the horrible dungeon crawler Spectral Tower...

Simillar to NESWorks by Jeremy Parish, this guy embarked on a journey to catalog every Famicom game during its initial run---1983 through 1994---AND with the caveat to do one a day which, as far as I can tell, he kept up with. The series is actually complete and thus there's a catalog of 1000-some videos to go through about 5 minutes or so each on average about every Famicom game, some well known, some obscure, some good, some trash.

The guy actually seems to own all the actual games and plays them himself when applicable---he lacks some of the peripherals like R.O.B. (or Robot) while explaining how to play for those who want to give the game a shot as well as cheat codes, tips, and other miscellaneous facts such as bringing up rarity on occasion for those looking to collect Famicom carts themselves.

His presentation style is very dry and straight to the point which helps the videos work as an easy watch, and I can watch quite a bit in a row while relaxing after work...I'm only up to Episode 111 though so I still have a long way to go! There's also a really nostalgic look and sound to his videos that kind of put you in the mindset of the NES days that makes me very comfortable...this dude is fucking blessed to have such an interesting hobby.

Note he does not cover the Famicom Disk System since that's a different system, BUT this year he's started to catalog the Disk System games so there's so much content on the way.

It's interesting going down memory lane for a system that's mostly foreign but also familiar...I started gaming in 95 or so so I did own a NES and a few games, but it wasn't a big system for me sort of a novelty I'd break out on occasion when I was bored of the Genesis or SNES. A lot of the early games are all familiar to me, but then it starts getting into all the quirky Japanese games that I wouldn't know exist and that's what I'm looking forward to. And all the weird licensed trash that might introduce me to a new old-school manga or anime.

But man...I guess it was different back then because the first few years of the Famicom just feel really lame, it's weird thinking Super Mario didn't pop up till two years into the life when for me I couldn't imagine caring about the NES without that series. Incidentally by the guy's count Super Mario is the 64th Famicom title, though as there's other games that released that day I imagine I can't say that's any official count but it's a neat coincidence.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Man, I appreciate the shoutout, but have we as a society already forgotten about Chrontendo??

That said, RndStranger deserves 20 times the views he currently gets. Criminally overlooked.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I appreciate the shoutout, but have we as a society already forgotten about Chrontendo??

That said, RndStranger deserves 20 times the views he currently gets. Criminally overlooked.
I didn't realize you were a member on here! I still check your series out every few years to catch up...but I forget what point I was at lol.

Oh yeah I've heard about Chrontendo but for some reason the lengthy video put me off compared to bite-sized videos.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Also vouching for Famidaily, found it around the middle of last year and it was a huge hook to me. Even got me to collect a bunch of FC/SFC stuff myself and now PCE thanks to how the guy put up a handy video that noted where he usually got his imports from. Been hoping it'd take off for a while now as it's my favorite of the chrongaming shows and almost anything this guy covers is worth watching due to the whole "universal" feel of all his videos.

I also vouch for chrontendo but they update pretty rarely and as one who's a bigger fan of Chronsega/Chronturbo (due to those systems not being covered as much in chronological order) those series get even longer waits lol, but they're worth it when they drop.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On episode 157 and he teased what was his worst Famicom game...like Episode 538.

Very excited to see what that is...apparently due to controversial stuff outside the game he says.

(Also um the uh Hitler game that's popped up twice so far with no comment)

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Made it to 200...about 1/5ths there.

I always wonder where the music for his intro and outro was from...turns out from a (poor) Famicom composing game.

Also I'm not sure when he started it but he has little messages that pop up at the end of the episode. I usually skipped to the next video so I probably missed a lot of these.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of the channel, thank you OP. This will be something to binge watch over time just before bed.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's CRAZY how many games post Super Mario Bros. literally hid invisible items in levels required to best the game.

Like every fucking platformer he talks about this in 1986 and 87 lol.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for bringing this to my attention OP. I love digging into this era of Japanese retro games, especially the obscure stuff.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for bringing this to my attention OP. I love digging into this era of Japanese retro games, especially the obscure stuff.
Get ready for Japanese comedians cashing in on a quick game about themselves

(Or in one case a talent agency going behind the backs of the comedians and using their likeness without paying them)

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Up to 256, or the 8-bit anniversary.

Esper Boukentai. Kind of feels like a weird blend of Doki Doki Panic and Earthbound and came out before both of them...

Anyway you always worry if these gaming YouTuber are gonna have weird opinions (not about games) but RndStranger seems pretty chill and left leaning which is nice. Wasn't afraid to mention a game about the Manhattan PD might be a bit tasteless in today's atmosphere.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I've also been going through Famidaily this past month, having reached 1988 now. He tends to go harsh on PC-to-Famicom ports (ex. Daiva, Woody Poko) which aren't the best representations of those games, but otherwise there's a good amount of summary and commentary all around.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised by the costs of some of the games...but in a positive way.

Like sometimes he talks about a game being a bit expensive and I'm thinking he's talking about like 100$ or so but it turns out to be 25$ or so.

Could I be a Famicom collector?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I love collection channels/vids like this. As someone who foolishly likes playing through entire series of games (though I focus on games series, not entire console libraries), I can sympathise with how much of a mammoth task this no doubt was! Now I'm off to check the channel out!

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I'm surprised by the costs of some of the games...but in a positive way.

Like sometimes he talks about a game being a bit expensive and I'm thinking he's talking about like 100$ or so but it turns out to be 25$ or so.

Could I be a Famicom collector?
In most cases, the cheap prices are just for carts. Popular games got larger print runs, but the boxes got junked more than the carts, so there's a lot of loose copy supply even decades since. CIB games' prices tend to adhere closer to the highly inflated examples seen elsewhere.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I knew about kusoge but apparently Japan has a separate name, Kusode, specially for shitty Data East games.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
This looks awesome, thanks alot! I really love Chrontendo, but need to check out this to supplement it.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's fun seeing how the host gets more comfortable as a speaker as the series goes on---from kind of quiet and a little awkward to a pretty fun host.

Also he's apparently pretty skilled at action games like Mega Man and Contra.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tecmo Desert Fox game where they were going to send players who beat the game a signed certificate of congratulations...by Adolph Hitler. :0

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We never had the Disk System in the US and most of those games came out on carts but it's crazy there's like...Episode 64 or so is the last Nintendo developed title and then its not until Episode 370 Nintendo releases another cart for the Famicom.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crazy I've hit Mario Brothers 3 with still 700+ episodes to go.

Even the host agrees it feels like the Famicom Climax.