• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xzeon

User was permanently banned at own request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Xzeon. Glad you could join us.

Hey Rho.

Yeah imma chill in here for now. I'm not too keen on public forums.

PONE RANKING:
1. The beautiful, intelligent, spectacular Princess of Friendship and our Hearts, Twilight Sparkle
2. Tempest, Dash, DJ Pon3, Glim Glams
3. Who cares I like them all
4. Applejack

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
As long as your show does a new OT each season, it goes in EtcetEra to begin with. If show does just 1 thread for the entire life of the show, then it stays in Hangouts.

MtG releases can be treated as a "new" season.

We're good to go for season OTs!

Guessing we could continue the Community/OT system, but do we want to do anything to change it up? Is there a real desire for a separate thread that those who aren't caught up can go into? And I doubt mods here will care either way about us discussing fanfics in a season OT, so that isn't a reason to split discussion.

Of course, we can talk about this all again when the season actually starts.

Also, given that this isn't a season thread, I'm actually kind of digging the simple style of the current OP. I don't think I'll add much more to it.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
My Little Pony? Really? Isn't that, like, for little girls?

Wait, everyone else here isn't a little girl?

Feel like there's an Amir0x joke in here somewhere

A lot of people seem to tolerate Timber because he's with SciTwi and not PonyTwi, and didn't think he would actually show up again. I suspect hatred toward him will rise with the new online series, since the relationship is actually continuing.

Yeah, unicorn courtship is really dangerous. The notable ones can kill you with magic if you upset them, and even when it's going well, you have to be careful hugging them.
Man it was weird seeing the movie and thinking that they did a pretty good job with him, only to find people thought he was almost as bad as Flash. That being said I feel like people are going to just automatically hate any character whose primary character trait is that they're a love interest. I feel like they could make him a pretty interesting and fun character but if the only times he's going to appear in the EQG series is in the context of being SciTwi's boyfriend then that's all people will see him as. They need to try to have him develop relationships with the full Mane 7, not just SciTwi.

Bro Starlight created a spell to recreate her childhood to bond with a friend. Can you imagine what she'd do for her husband?

@ threads: I'd prefer most of the discussion to be in as few threads as possible. Of course I watch everything as it airs and don't have any need for a separate thread. Thing is we have a discord now which may be able to fill the role of one of the previous threads that we had. For example we could post a lot more community stuff there as it comes out rather then combining it into all the posts Sigma does. We could use that channel for the people not caught up to keep in touch and have most of the serious current discussion happen here. Just my 2 cents though.

Last edited:

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Question: will the movie be referenced or acknowledged in season 8? I honestly will be really upset if the events in the movie have no impact on the show.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Question: will the movie be referenced or acknowledged in season 8? I honestly will be really upset if the events in the movie have no impact on the show.

Apparently there's a new Hippogrif character being added in. Aside from that no info yet. Season 7 hasn't even finished airing yet although there is some info about the opener and finale. Neither have to do with the movie though

I would personally like to see Klugetown again though. Also there's some other big stuff from season 7 that needs follow up. Season 8 has a lot of things I really hope end up appearing in it.

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently there's a new Hippogrif character being added in. Aside from that no info yet. Season 7 hasn't even finished airing yet although there is some info about the opener and finale. Neither have to do with the movie though

I would personally like to see Klugetown again though. Also there's some other big stuff from season 7 that needs follow up. Season 8 has a lot of things I really hope end up appearing in it.

Ok. I just really hope the movie isn't ignored. They introduced some really amazing new characters that I really don't want to be a one off.

Yeah S7 finale also introduced a lot of new stuff as well. I'm sure S8 will have that.

I'm just afraid the movies gonna exist in a bubble.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/10/paris-hilton-using-freaky-cadance-and.html?m=1
Ok. I just really hope the movie isn't ignored. They introduced some really amazing new characters that I really don't want to be a one off.

Yeah S7 finale also introduced a lot of new stuff as well. I'm sure S8 will have that.

I'm just afraid the movies gonna exist in a bubble.

For what it's worth I feel like season 7 did a pretty good job at developing stuff that was set up in season 6. You never can be sure but if season 7 is any indication then we should be in good shape. Trouble with the movie is that all of the new characters have decently known voice actors which might make getting them back more difficult.

Edit: Apparently this is a thing:

unnamed.jpg

Don't know how linking works here's a URL: https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/10/paris-hilton-using-freaky-cadance-and.html?m=1

Oct 25, 2017
Mane6:
1. Rarity
2. The Princess
3. Applejack
4. Rainbow Dash
5. Fluttershy
6. Pinkie Pie

Every character:
1. Rarity
2. Maud Pie
3. Twilight
4. Daring Do (pre-Daring Done?)
5. Chrysalis
6. Cheese Sandwich

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/10/paris-hilton-using-freaky-cadance-and.html?m=1

For what it's worth I feel like season 7 did a pretty good job at developing stuff that was set up in season 6. You never can be sure but if season 7 is any indication then we should be in good shape. Trouble with the movie is that all of the new characters have decently known voice actors which might make getting them back more difficult.

Edit: Apparently this is a thing:

unnamed.jpg

Don't know how linking works here's a URL: https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/10/paris-hilton-using-freaky-cadance-and.html?m=1

Hmmm ok then.

Anyway, the movie VAs can be replaced with sound alikes. Since it was only for the 1 movie I don't think its a big deal if they just get new people that sound similar.

I forgot about Maud. I really like her too.

There's too many characters to remember, I forgot about Sonambula too.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Linking with Rich Text is a bit weird, but you can click the page icon to switch to BB Code and use the normal URL tags.

Also, Fat4all for above image.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Celestia is best horse, everyone knows that.

Mane 6.

1. Rainbow Dash
2. Fluttershy
3. Rarity
4. Applejack
5. Pinkie Pie
6. Twilight Sparkle

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Mane6:
1. Rarity
2. The Princess
3. Applejack
4. Rainbow Dash
5. Fluttershy
6. Pinkie Pie

Every character:
1. Rarity
2. Maud Pie
3. Twilight
4. Daring Do (pre-Daring Done?)
5. Chrysalis
6. Cheese Sandwich

So a character that is essentially Pinkie voiced by Weird Al would be 3rd in the Mane 6 but Pinkie is in last? How does that work?

Oct 25, 2017
So I was able to archive the Season 7 OT. If you are interested, click here, download the folder, and run the files with your browser for the individual pages.

So a character that is essentially Pinkie voiced by Weird Al would be 3rd in the Mane 6 but Pinkie is in last? How does that work?

Exactly. Basically Pinkie voiced by Weird Al, great songs, two party ponies learning something from each other, best episode. Pinkie's a little too often unfunny or written weird, but Cheese brought the heat for 22 perfect minutes.

Last edited:

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
It's remarkable that that whole episode manages to pull off being a downright obsessive Weird Al tribute without it overshadowing the actual plot.

I can't overstate just what a pitch perfect pastiche of his polka medleys The Goof Off is. It does everything right with no involvement from the man himself outside of his performance. Absolutely incredible songwriting on Daniel Ingram's part.

Formless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Antonio, Texas
My wife really loves the show, so I'll watch it with her sometimes.

The show is better than I expected. A good show to watch in short bursts.

Favorite episode I've seen was when they were mocking the Avengers and Fluttershy was Hulk. It was hilarious. Then there was another episode where they mocked The Big Lewboski. Didn't expect to see that in this show.

Oct 25, 2017
It's remarkable that that whole episode manages to pull off being a downright obsessive Weird Al tribute without it overshadowing the actual plot.

I can't overstate just what a pitch perfect pastiche of his polka medleys The Goof Off is. It does everything right with no involvement from the man himself outside of his performance. Absolutely incredible songwriting on Daniel Ingram's part.
This person gets it.

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I love Appleblooms sister! Yeah the orange one with a hat. The farm one. Yeah Big Macs sister is great.

Favorite episode I've seen was when they were mocking the Avengers and Fluttershy was Hulk. It was hilarious. Then there was another episode where they mocked The Big Lewboski. Didn't expect to see that in this show.

Oh yeah I forgot about the super hero ep. Its a good one. Yeah you can see The Dude pony in the background a lot.

If I remember correctly there was a Big Lebowski reference on Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends. I think maybe Faust really likes that movie lol.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, one thing I really like about guest stars in MLP is how they strike such a balance between showcasing the guest, and having them work in the world and not overshadow the other characters. Even if you knew nothing about Weird Al, he still worked perfectly as a Pinkie rival, the gag of him doing a polka cover of "Smile" still makes sense, etc. Though I haven't looked into it, I hear that the backstory for Cheese in "Cheese Confesses" even has some connections to Al's own childhood. Discord is more than a Q parody, Coloratura is her own character, Quibble fits into the world well despite his meta commentary, and you'd hardly tell they got guest stars for Pear Butter and Grand Pear. They got William Shatner to give a dramatic performance instead of a comedic one, for crying out loud!

That first episode would be "Power Ponies", which I think is a lot of fun too. The Big Lebowski ponies appear in the background a lot, but they only spoke in "Slice of Life", which is what you might be thinking of. Shows connected with Lauren Faust really like making references to that movie.

so umm this is awkward but....

...what happens to Belle Eve now >.>

Alas, poor Belle. Some in the chat suggested turning her into glue, but she did nothing wrong! She represents the ideal of NeoGAF, not its owner!

For those unfamiliar, Belle Eve by JohnJoseco.
thumb.jpeg

She's the old mascot of PonyGAF, and while she hasn't seen much use in recent years, she's still loved.

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alas, poor Belle. Some in the chat suggested turning her into glue, but she did nothing wrong! She represents the ideal of NeoGAF, not its owner!

For those unfamiliar, Belle Eve by JohnJoseco.
thumb.jpeg

She's the old mascot of PonyGAF, and while she hasn't seen much use in recent years, she's still loved.

AINT NO ONE TURNING BELLE EVE INTO GLUE.

Slap a Resetera arrow on her butt and dye the orange into purple. That's my advice.

I still love u Belle.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I was pushing on Discord for us to adopt Rarity as our mascot instead seeing how she matches the ResetEra color scheme and all... but you guys are sure awfully attached to poor abandoned Belle. I suppose Rarity "could" give her mane a fashionable purple makeover. Cutie mark appropriation seems downright cruel, though.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
So I was able to archive the Season 7 OT. If you are interested, click here, download the folder, and run the files with your browser for the individual pages.

Just tried it out, and wow, it really works! Images and everything. Great job!

I was pushing on Discord for us to adopt Rarity as our mascot instead seeing how she matches the ResetEra color scheme and all... but you guys are sure awfully attached to poor abandoned Belle. I suppose Rarity "could" give her mane a fashionable purple makeover. Cutie mark appropriation seems downright cruel, though.

Belle has a connection to games, so we can just say she switched to an equally valid alternate color scheme. Or she went back to her own character creator and redid her colors and cutie mark.

Huh, that doesn't look half bad.

Anyway, with little time before the next episode, it's time to get things back on track. Let's talk "Uncommon Bond".
Distracted Stallionfriend by jhayarr23
MLPWallpaperDistractedStalliontfriendbyjhayarr231508622045571.png

We discussed this a fair bit in the chat, but not in a way convenient to actually look back on.

I'll repost my thoughts on the episode, or rather the version I posted on Round Stable that's edited from my NeoGAF post. Spoiler blocks so you don't get bored reading the same thing.
Uncommon Bond
More proof that Sunburst doesn't exist: he didn't get off the train, and instead suddenly poofed into existence. [Referring to a joke I made before that Sunburst doesn't actually exist, and Starlight just thinks she does, unknowingly using magic to make others acknowledge him only when she's around]

Holy shit that part where Twilight gets excited about the game and knocks over the board. Twilight's interactions with Sunburst were pretty fun, and she has much better chemistry with him than her canon love interests. When Sunburst was talking about Twilight to Starlight, I was half expecting him to ask if Twilight was single.

I was expecting Sunburst to interact with the Main Six, so when they went to the apple farm, I was pretty surprised to see Trixie just bumming there. That must have been an intentional fake out. Sunburst had great scenes with Trixie too, including the above GIF. [A GIF of Trixie looking at cards was posted above]

Bringing back the Mirror Pool was pretty random; they didn't even use it for anything. [I now know about Boulder's use of it] Maud's scenes were less interesting, aside from Sunburst being confused about when she was joking.

I read a post about Starlight's magic being OP here, and yeah, her spell was pretty far out, but we don't know the actual extent of it. It seems like it was very specific for those circumstances, and required that paper as a medium. Still, it's always fun when she goes crazy with her magic.

The ending was alright. Nice to see Sunburst being used for slapstick in canon, though Twilight is more alright with her home being wrecked than I expected. Also, those books are huge.

To match up what we saw at the end of Legends of Magic #6, Sunburst must have unpacked Starswirl's book from the barrel without reading it then lost track of it. Which... isn't that unlikely.

Overall, this was a nice episode for the scenes of Sunburst getting along with the other mares, but I thought the resolution was a bit weak.

Late followup post will hopefully come tomorrow.

And in the news, behind the scenes video for the Flurry Heart Scrapbook video series, and wow, they really put a lot more effort into these than I expected. I mean, I always found them impressive looking, but I never put much thought into their creation.

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh that ep
ok so that ep. I felt Sun n Star didn't have a damn thing in common. N instead of trying to unaturaly force the 1 thing they used to have in common, the ep should have been about reconnecting with people n finding out NEW things about each other. I don't feel like Sun n Stars friendship was made any better. In fact this ep just showed there's still nothing really there

Hey that's really cool! Thanks.

Should Glim Glam be added? Do u feel its a Mane 7 now?

Last edited:

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez I'm gone for just a bit and all of the sudden there's a ton of new posts.

@ Pinkie Pride: I've never been a big fan of this one. The story is hard to take seriously for me because the conflict could have instantly been solved if any of the Mane 6 or Cheese Sandwich pointed out that they could work on the party together. There's some justifactions for it but it's hard to take it seriously when the answer is that obvious and yet despite everyone being there none of them point it out until the very end. As such the Pinkie emotional stuff feels a bit melodramatic. Also Cheese Sandwitch is a really boring character for me. He is literally just Pinkie voiced by Weird Al. The bit where he was inspired by Pinkie was by far my favorite part of the episode but as a whole he's just uninteresting. The episode is a lot better then MMC but it's pretty far behind the other two musicals which I think are easily among the best the series has to offer.

@ Guest Actors: Cheese Sandwich is probably my least favorite appearance if only because I don't like the character he plays. Most of the others work well though. I still don't remember who plays Coloratura although she does a fantastic job. I didn't even know that Quibble Pants was a guest VA the first time watching it, and the fact that he's actually a massive nerd IRL makes the character really fitting. Felicia Day gives off a very strong performance, and I'm surprised Forester hasn't pointed out that both the "Villains" from the MST3K reboot have done guest voice acting for the show. What we was not very good though. His voice is really weak IMO and the character could have been voiced by literally anyone and been the exact same

Want to briefly touch on the movie and say that with one obvious exception they did a fantastic job with all the new characters. All of them give extremely strong performances and aren't playing characters that either sound exactly like how they normally talk or could have been voiced by pretty much anyone. The one obvious exception being Sia who sounds exactly like how she does IRL and is treated like a big deal despite getting 0 characterization and little screen time.

@ Uncommon Bomd: Ill copy pasta my post on it from before:
This is the third episode now for season newcomer Kevin Lappin who cowrote it with series veteran Josh Haber. His previous works include Honest Apple, a flawed if funny episode, and To Change a Changeling, an episode that had some decent ideas and jokes behind it but had problems when it came to portraying some of the characters and making them sympathetic. In some ways I feel like this episode repeats a lot of the flaws that Lappin's previous works have had, something that apparently wasn't fixed with Haber's help. The episode had some great scenes, but I feel like a lot of the supporting elements held the episode back quite a bit.

Right off the bat I feel like the biggest problem with the episode was Sunburst himself. Up until near the end of the episode he is entirely oblivious to how his actions are negatively impacting Starlight and even after he identifies them drifting apart he doesn't apologize for ignoring her for most of the episode. The scenes he has with Twilight are the worst in the episode for me because not only did I not really find them all that funny, but it shows both him and Twilight not noticing how unenthused Starlight was about them. Twilight is her teacher and it would have been nicer if she identified there was a problem earlier. Twilight overall has a lot of potential as a mentor for Starlight that I feel really hasn't been tapped into yet as she rarely feels like a strong supporting figure for her. She was definitely better here then she has been in the past but for once it would be nice if she identified that Starlight was having a problem BEFORE it got out of control.

Aside from Sunburst being insensitive and Twilight being inobservant the rest of the characters were handled decently. Seeing Trixie's slopily done tricks was one of the high points for me although it feels a bit out of character that her entire character is based around stage magic and she would be so bad at it. Maud once again makes a very strong appearance despite barely being in the episode. And Starlight wasn't at her best but the aging spell that she did was really cool and one of my favorites from the series. The scenes with Trixie and Maud in them definitely carried the episode for me.

The other big problem with the episode was how it handled its conflict and resolution. When Starlight tries to recreate them playing the board game as kids Sunburst gets frustrated that Starlight is just trying to relive being kids rather then doing anything that he would currently enjoy. Which makes it seem like the issue is that Starlight is living in the past and that's causing problems because Sunburst has moved on. (Similar to Forever Filly) But Starlight does suggest them doing other things such as when they go to the mirror pool, and Sunburst is still not engaging with her. If that was the angle they were going for it wasn't executed well. Additionally the solution of "just make everything bigger" to make it more "adult" just seems silly. Perhaps instead of playing bigger Dragon Pit they could played Ogres and Oogliettes or some other more advanced game.

The presentation is largely satisfactory, with a lot of farily creative and fun expressions by Starlight in particular. The scene where she casts the spell was particularly memorable. The voice acting didn't really stick out which in this case means that they're doing their job well. As a whole the episode had some definite bright spots but the unlikability of Sunburst for me and the clumsy plot hold it back quite a bit.

Xzeon is also right on the money for me. Sunburst shows zero interest in Starlight up until his friendship with her is in jeopardy. The two actually have like no chemistry on-screen because none of them seem to share any interests besides magic and the ending doesn't address any of the problems. Sunburst comes off as very unlikable to me and that puts a serious damper on the episode for me.

@ Banner stuff: at this point I feel like Starlight should be in whatever banner we end up using. She's essentially the main character of the show at this point.

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't make the art, just the logo.

Oh ok. I like it. Thank u.

I want all the movie characters to be in S8 so bad. If they just ignore Tempest I'm gonna cry.

Hmmmm, Glim Glam the MC?

Hmmmmm. Well. Wow huh. I've seen all of S7 n yeah she's prolly tied with Twi for like screen time/plot importance stuff. I feel comfortable going Mane 7 at this point.

I do wanna complain about the movie a bit

where the hell was Starlight n Discord? 2 of THE most powerful magic users just MIA? plus S7 spoilers complicates things even further...

I didn't see Sylvees huge S7 review. I agree with a lot of it. And yes I absolutely love the world building and lore expansion. Call backs, meta humor, love all that too. MLPs world feels MASSIVE and so is its very rich timeline. Its cast is also constantly growing as well.

Seeing the evolution of this show go from S1 Sailor Moon knock off to S7 n the movie overflowing with robust originality and personality and lore has been mind blowing.

Last edited:

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I do wanna complain about the movie a bit.

where the hell was Starlight n Discord? 2 of THE most powerful magic users just MIA? plus S7 spoilers complicates things even further...
Technically, they're both referenced in the film. Pinkie makes a draconequus balloon that matches Discord's silhouette and Starlight is shown marvelling at Trixie's fireworks magic skills both in the opening musical number and during the closing credits.

The one mental approach I take with the film that allows me to rationalize both their absence and the clear character development regression on display - most notably from Fluttershy (who spends most of the movie cowering in fright) and Princess Twilight (who is so uncertain about her role as the princess of friendship that she thinks stealing from the hippogriffs is a perfectly fine idea) - but also on display from folks like Spike whose predominant characterization seems to be that he still has a crush on Rarity - is to slot it into Season 4's continuity. So it predates the ponies even meeting Starlight (we'll just ignore her one fan service scene), they haven't struck alliances with the dragons/changelings/yaks/ponies of legend and Discord's character reformation arc is still in flux when it comes to truly understanding friendship (he doesn't fully reform until after helping Tirek in the finale).

So yeah, slot the movie into Season 4's timeline and a lot of those other what-the-hell plot decisions cease to be problems.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
New theory: The Starlight in the movie is actually from the future and doesn't help at all since she doesn't want to alter the timeline.

I plan on doing some sort of "season in review" post after I get back home. It is going to be really expansive so I'm probably going to split it up into more then one post so it's less daunting to read and because it in its entirety would probably pass the post character limit. (Speaking of which what is the limit here?)

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Could slide Starlight in on the left side. Would make it symmetrical going Unicorn on the outside, Earth in the middle, Pegasi inside and then Alicorn in the center. Someone would have to make the art for it though.

Of course the symmetry would get ruined when Starlight becomes an Alocorn too

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Could slide Starlight in on the left side. Would make it symmetrical going Unicorn on the outside, Earth in the middle, Pegasi inside and then Alicorn in the center. Someone would have to make the art for it though.

Of course the symmetry would get ruined when Starlight becomes an Alocorn too
Trixie it is, then!

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Technically, they're both referenced in the film. Pinkie makes a draconequus balloon that matches Discord's silhouette and Starlight is shown marvelling at Trixie's fireworks magic skills both in the opening musical number and during the closing credits.

The one mental approach I take with the film that allows me to rationalize both their absence and the clear character development regression on display - most notably from Fluttershy (who spends most of the movie cowering in fright) and Princess Twilight (who is so uncertain about her role as the princess of friendship that she thinks stealing from the hippogriffs is a perfectly fine idea) - but also on display from folks like Spike whose predominant characterization seems to be that he still has a crush on Rarity - is to slot it into Season 4's continuity. So it predates the ponies even meeting Starlight (we'll just ignore her one fan service scene), they haven't struck alliances with the dragons/changelings/yaks/ponies of legend and Discord's character reformation arc is still in flux when it comes to truly understanding friendship (he doesn't fully reform until after helping Tirek in the finale).

So yeah, slot the movie into Season 4's timeline and a lot of those other what-the-hell plot decisions cease to be problems.

That would make sense, cuz S4 is prolly around when they started making the movie, I heard it took 5 years to make. But... Then where have the movie characters been for 3 seasons... Try to factor in Equestria Girls n I think its time to just throw the timeline out the window. Or Hasbro can release Equestria Historia n confirm the 3 split timelines...

Like that logo.

And if anyone gets a 7th spot, it should be Spike.

Ok. I agree. We add Spike and Starlight. Mane 8.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I'm being fashionably late here, but you see... I was making this avatar. Couldn't decide if I wanted a pony or something Fire Emblem related. So I split the difference and drew the elder pega-pony princess (if Sumia is Lucina's mother.)

Anyway, for pony rankings, I'm not entirely sure. But if I had to reason my way out it, it'll go like this.

1. Rarity
I may not like her character the best, but she is immesely entertaining. When Rarity is in focus, you know you're in for a fun time.

2. Twilight Sparkle
She's smart, awkward and compassionate. That's a great combination, and having the Princess of Friendship be socially awkward is just a wonderful twist.

3. Fluttershy
While the plot of Fluttershy learns to be brave is way overplayed, she's still adorable. And adorable counts for a lot.

4. Pinkie Pie
Pinkie is either awesome or obnoxious. when Pinkie is at full pinkie, she's fun, but when she misfires, she's annoying.

5. Rainbow Dash
After she became a Wonderbolt... well, her drive towards an impossible dream was a bit part of what made her fun. She did that now.

6. Applejack
It's not that I don't like Applejack, she just really needs something to do. She started pretty much at her endpoint, character wise. She didn't learn anything, because she never needed to.

If Spike counts, put him in before Fluttershy. I am not sure on Starlight yet. She wouldn't reach Applejack level, though I do like that Starlight has a tendency to slip back into villain-mode when she's pressured. That's fun, they have an evil friend.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, what's the percentage of people that have seen the finale here vs the ones that haven't? I know that me, Forester, and Xzeom have seen it, and Trig and Sigma haven't.

Also the Hasbro YouTube channel has been uploading EQG shorts every Friday for a while now. Usually it's been ones that we've already seen but today's was new. I haven't seen it yet but you can find it on EQD. I still can't figure this shit out on mobile so here's the YT link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Yd-FUNs7s

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Just curious, what's the percentage of people that have seen the finale here vs the ones that haven't? I know that me, Forester, and Xzeom have seen it, and Trig and Sigma haven't.
I watched it as soon as it leaked. I'll refrain from providing specific impressions that would necessitate spoiler tags but I did enjoy it quite a bit. Felt it still struggled with some of the pacing challenges that have plagued recent finales of wrapping up everything in a very narrow window of time right at the end. Think it may have helped to stretch it to 3 episodes vs. 2 given the ground they covered... there were a lot of characters being juggled that would have benefited from some more in-depth development. I'll also disagree with Forester in that I'd consider this finale to have no business being the plot of the movie given the audience the film was aimed towards... BUT it was easily more enjoyable than the film for established fans of the show.

Okay, I'll make one somewhat spoilerific observation...
I felt this 2-parter did the best job to date of incorporating Starlight Glimmer in with the rest of the cast while still making her feel like a vital character. It didn't feel like the Mane 6 + 1 as has been the case in recent episodes. It felt like the Mane 7.

Alright, I'll make one more comment... it would have been nice if it wasn't so predictable. Especially that first episode. And I haven't read any of the comics with the back stories for these Legends and it was still plain as day to see where the plot was heading. But it's a kid's show so I won't begrudge it too much for that.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
About the movie, I view it sort of like the first Power Rangers movie, where something similar happens between the show and movie, but the movie isn't in continuity. It does seem like season 8 will follow up on some aspects, but Celestia will have the same old throne room, probably.

'm being fashionably late here, but you see... I was making this avatar. Couldn't decide if I wanted a pony or something Fire Emblem related.
I wasn't aware you drew until you posted this in the chat. It looks great, now that it's properly cropped. Fur color is unexpected, but it works.

So I split the difference and drew the elder pega-pony princess (if Sumia is Lucina's mother.)
My man

3. Fluttershy
While the plot of Fluttershy learns to be brave is way overplayed, she's still adorable. And adorable counts for a lot.
They seem to have completely dropped that sort of story after season 5, which is good. I really liked how this was shown in "Fame and Misfortune", with her needing a moment to collect herself after an angry mob confronts her, but being able to chew them out after that.

The younger is probably my favorite FE:A character, to be honest.
You mean Sumia's daughter? Yeah, she was pretty fun.

EDIT: Another Summertime Short?! What is with this release schedule?

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
About the movie, I view it sort of like the first Power Rangers movie, where something similar happens between the show and movie, but the movie isn't in continuity. It does seem like season 8 will follow up on some aspects, but Celestia will have the same old throne room, probably.

:(

Tempest...

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
She'll live on in fan fiction and fan art. That's still a better situation than Belle Eve has at the moment.

Thought Emily Blunt did a great job voicing her... but then I've enjoyed her voice work in both The Simpsons and The Wind Rises as well. A good number of celebrities aren't able to effectively translate their acting ability into a strictly voice acting showcase... but Emily doesn't struggle with this at all.

Xzeon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She'll live on in fan fiction and fan art. That's still a better situation than Belle Eve has at the moment.

Thought Emily Blunt did a great job voicing her... but then I've enjoyed her voice work in both The Simpsons and The Wind Rises as well. A good number of celebrities aren't able to effectively translate their acting ability into a strictly voice acting showcase... but Emily doesn't struggle with this at all.

Look, if we can force background ponies into being actual sorta characters with their own toys WE CAN SAVE TEMPEST.

I also liked cat guy, id like to see him again.