• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

(EDIT: Reupload)

Yes, that's "Good as Hell".

This premieres on Discovery Family in 2020.
Pony Life relocates the ponies to Sugarcube Corner, a local bakery hangout run by Pinkie Pie, which also houses a mysterious cache of magical potions to be broken out when the need arises. The new series will feature all of Friendship Is Magic's beloved ensemble — including Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, and Fluttershy — as well as the same voice actors returning. Befitting the title, Pony Life's stories will reportedly be more "slice of life"-oriented than the adventure-driven Friendship Is Magic.

This gives strong Teen Titans Go vibes, with an unexpected resemblance to those old PONY.MOV fan videos.

For those wondering what I mean by G4.5 in the title, like Transformers, MLP is divided into generations of toys and cartoons. Friendship is Magic was Generation 4. For the generation before, G3, there was a similar moment where the characters got a big redesign but stayed in the same setting with more or less the same cast, which was called G3.5. Given the similarities, I think it's only appropriate to call this G4.5.

We know there is a movie coming in 2021 that will more significantly reset the setting, so the G5 label is better reserved for that.

This is almost definitely just going to hold the fort until G5 proper starts, so it's hard to feel much of anything about it. I'll give it a chance.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Looks cute and fun.

Slice of life stories were always where FiM shined.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Friendship is Magic Go?

Shows that Hasbro knows this version of ponies are way too good and popular to get rid of.

I wonder if they're nervous making new characters and a new series moving forward.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
PinkiePieShake.gif

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

The "Mane 6" characters fans fell in love with in MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC are back with all-new character design inspired by chibi-style animation. The MY LITTLE PONY: PONY LIFE series launches next year with all-new content premiering on Discovery Family and Discovery Family GO and short form content on the MY LITTLE PONY YouTube channel. MY LITTLE PONY: PONY LIFE features the same voice actors who made the Mane 6 famous in MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC.
We hope fans of all ages will enjoy exploring a fun new side of friendship and all the new story magic MY LITTLE PONY: PONY LIFE has to offer as we gear up for the launch of the all new MY LITTLE PONY movie from Paramount on September 24, 2021.
The new MY LITTLE PONY: PONY LIFE show looks at the funny side of friendship. The new center of the world is Sugarcube Corner – just like going to a friend's house after school, this is our ponies' home away from home. Here, Pinkie Pie serves up frosted cupcakes to the best customers in the world— her friends! PONY LIFE episodes feature hilarious, "SLICE OF LIFE" stories that modern kids can relate to. The series is LOADED with magic, including a mysterious source of potions that Pinkie keeps hidden behind the bakery counter and breaks out when the need arises.

Title.jpg

Ponyville_RD_TS_PP.jpg

SCC_Interior.jpg

SCC_Night.jpg

Not too hot on the art style, but it could look better in the show proper.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Wow. I knew they wouldn't let FiM go so easily but this isn't what I was expecting.

Still gonna watch the hell out of it.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
So Friendship is Magic Go?

Shows that Hasbro knows this version of ponies are way too good and popular to get rid of.

I wonder if they're nervous making new characters and a new series moving forward.
From what I understand rumor is the next series is just gonna be the same characters but remixed. Possibly minus apple jack, so your answer is probably not the 5( possibly 6) and some other key characters are effectively transformers now and will be constants while everything else changes

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it's going to have characters other than the Mane 6.

I'd love to see Starlight, Trixie, Luna, Celestia, Maud, Celestia, etc...

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Weird premise; they're all gonna be jammed into Sugarcube Corner in every episode? I guess maybe it'll rely heavily on flashbacks/cutaways.

Art is interesting. Funko will be pleased.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Lauren Faust
@Fyre_flye
Upon seeing this, I can't help but recall early development notes vehemently insisting that Pinkie Pie "should not be a spaz"
6:54 PM · Nov 16, 2019

BUT WAIT

Lauren Faust
@Fyre_flye
Replying to
@rucker_gary
and
@BovineBonita
I was just pointing out the contradiction from the type of direction I got over a decade ago. I *wanted* Pinkie to be crazy.
7:05 PM · Nov 16, 2019

Lauren Faust
@Fyre_flye
Addendum: I'm not criticizing the art, it just made me laugh remembering how I was asked to "tone it down" with Pinkie Pie, and a decade later... this! Maybe I was ahead of my time?
7:15 PM · Nov 16, 2019

That first post made a bunch of people high five each other saying, "See, even Faust disapproves of this!" but it turns out she meant the exact opposite. The early development notes saying not to make Pinkie a spaz were sent to her from higher ups.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
We finally got new trailers and the intro!

Plus character trailers
www.youtube.com

My Little Pony 💖 NEW 💖 Meet Twilight Sparkle in Pony Life | MLP

👀Watch more Pony Life episodes: https://bit.ly/MorePonyLife ❤️ Subscribe to the My Little Pony Channel: http://bit.ly/SubtoMLP 💖 About Twilight Sparkle in Po...
www.youtube.com

My Little Pony 💖 NEW 💖 Meet Rarity in Pony Life | MLP

Watch #PonyLife full episodes on #Discovery Family every Saturday and Sunday at 11:30a ET! 👀Watch more Pony Life episodes: https://bit.ly/MorePonyLife❤️ Sub...
www.youtube.com

My Little Pony 💖 NEW 💖 Meet Rainbow Dash in Pony Life | MLP

👀Watch more Pony Life episodes: https://bit.ly/MorePonyLife ❤️ Subscribe to the My Little Pony Channel: http://bit.ly/SubtoMLP 💖 About Rainbow Dash in Pony L...
www.youtube.com

My Little Pony: Pony Life 💖 NEW 💖 Meet Fluttershy in Pony Life | MLP Pony Life

👀Watch more Pony Life episodes: https://bit.ly/MorePonyLife ❤️ Subscribe to the My Little Pony Channel: http://bit.ly/SubtoMLP 💖 About Fluttershy in Pony Lif...
www.youtube.com

My Little Pony: Pony Life 💖 NEW 💖 Meet Pinkie Pie in Pony Life | MLP Pony Life

👀Watch more Pony Life episodes: https://bit.ly/MorePonyLife ❤️ Subscribe to the My Little Pony Channel: http://bit.ly/SubtoMLP 💖 About Pinkie Pie in Pony Lif...

There is no Applejack trailer.

The Rarity trailer in particular actually makes me pretty hopeful about this. It also seems like one big part of this series is Twilight now having a tablet phone. I wonder if it's something she invented, something she took from the human world, or something that will go unexplained.

TV schedules showed this was actually supposed to start last Saturday, but I assume they delayed it due to it being in bad taste to start a new show during the protests. However, it is listed in Canada as starting on June 21, still, so we'll likely get episodes from Canada before it starts in the US.

1-2. Princess Probz / 3-4. The Best of the Worst
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The first two episodes (15 minutes each) have aired in Canada.

First impressions of the first episode is that it's fun and cute, but it's really really fast paced. Think Johnny Test's pacing, but without whipcracks. Second episode is bad, but it's a Rainbow Dash episode. I'll watch them myself later.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
1-2. Princess Probz / 3-4. The Best of the Worst
Well, it's finally here. There are a lot of things to say about this. I'll start out by saying I thought it was pretty alright, and it grew on me with a second viewing. The first episode felt like the better of the two, but the second wasn't nearly as bad as I heard, and I've seen some people say they even prefer that.

It's weird that this isn't actually 10 minute episodes, but rather 5 minute episodes, each with its own title card, and two-part stories. About the title cards, I think it's neat that they exist. Each Equestria Girls short had its own title card, so I imagine that's what led to this.

They're really chugging down these potions in these episodes, huh? Really gives the impression that Pinkie is a dealer and they're all getting together for casual drug use. It's also odd because I expected the potions to be ways to start plots, but they're pretty incidental instead.

There's more continuity than I expected, with Pinkie participating in the Royal Jelly Juggernaut being brought up in the second story.

It's still too early to note consistent characterization changes, but it looks like Applejack has been recast as the fourth wall breaker. Pinkie doesn't do any of that, to my recollection, but AJ talks to the audience in both stories. Twilight has a bit more of a season one flavor, with her having a "I'm done with this shit" attitude regarding Pinkie in the first story. Rarity has great moments, particularly one I'll post below, but they used the gag of her freaking out and summoning a fainting couch in both episodes. We see very little of Celestia, but she comes off as more capricious than usually shown in FiM. Teen Titans Go made all the characters jerks, and I was concerned that would be the case here, but thankfully Pony Life has avoided that so far. Everyone's legitimately trying to help each other out, and Rainbow even comes off as far less of a jerk in the second story than in most of her FiM focus episodes.

About the writers, confirming what was revealed on Twitter back during the original announcement, they're both women who have worked mostly on Equestria Girls. Credits from FiM Wiki.

First episode was by Katie Chilson, who in MLP worked entirely on shorts before.
FiM writing credits: Teacher of the Month.
EG writing credits: Game Stream, Best in Show: The Victory Lap, Five Stars, FOMO, Camping Must-Haves, Festival Filters, How to Backstage, Festival Looks, Five Lines You Need to Stand In, and Tip Toppings.

Second episode was by Whitney Ralls, who in MLP worked on shorts and one special.
EG writing credits: Best Trends Forever, Happily Ever After Party, The Salty Sails, Outtakes, Find the Magic, The Last Drop, and Sunset's Backstage Pass.

First episode was pretty alright, and had this fantastic moment.

I've seen people bring up the pacing being too fast, but really, FiM was always an oddly slow paced show for the 2010s. Even this is pretty slow paced compared to its contemporaries. Biggest problem with this episode was Fluttershy barely saying anything. There's also unexplained mentions of modern tech, but they haven't really come into play yet.

Second episode had a really really contrived premise, but Rainbow was surprisingly not a jerk in it. If any episode was going to have fart jokes and gross out moments, it was "The Best of the Worst", yet there were none. I suppose that means we won't get any in the rest of the series, so that's good. Also Fluttershy can change her size, unless that's just meant to be a visualization of her meekness vs. assertiveness. Or maybe she had a potion off screen. Dishwater Slog is an inspired name. I like that the ending was Rainbow realizing she doesn't have to play by his rules at all, though really, she shouldn't have in the first place.

Overall, not nearly as, say, fanfic inspiring as normal FiM quite yet, but not a bad series. I found the episodes better on a second viewing.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Well, I'm not in love with what I saw, but it wasn't exactly terrible either. Them ponies be chugging potions like I chug bourbon, which is fun though strange. I don't mind all the sight gags though.

Everything IS a bit too energetic for my tastes. It's like all the characters are on cocaine or something. They talk SUPER fast and things are all flashy and splosiv, and it's just a bit much. The second episode is a bit more toned down, but even then it's more a loose plot for gags than an actual story.

Not terrible though. I might watch a bit further just because I like the colors and animation and designs. it's fairly inoffensive and cute.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
At some point these types of designs are just going to morph into giant heads with tiny legs poking out of them.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The art director, Alex Vetter, answered a bunch of questions on Twitter. She was also the art director for Rainbow Roadtrip.

Notable answers:

Few ppl were asking why the cutie marks of the mane 6 have changed. Well, they are smaller and simpler in #PonyLife because their bums are smaller and the cutie marks just looked super odd so... I made a decision to simplify the design
7:16 AM · Jun 22, 2020

I saw also a lot of questions about muted colours of the mane 6 in #PonyLife The answer to this question is also very simple. The colours are based off a toy - that's why. In the end we compensated their muted tones with vibrant BG's
7:20 AM · Jun 22, 2020

(Following a conversation about an animation mistake, with an apology from the asker for nitpicking)
No problem! I understand :) I think when it comes to pacing and characterisation the more you go into the series, the more balanced it gets because we found a balance also as a team and understood each other better
8:34 AM · Jun 22, 2020

(What pony did you have the most fun working with?)
They say that you shouldn't have your favourite child but I need to say this...its Rarity! She is killing it in PL and the whole team is in love. All the voice actresses had a blast while voicing the characters and you can see that in animation as well
9:05 AM · Jun 22, 2020

AJ is hilarious this season. She is the only one breaking the 4th wall and a bit more aware that they are in the show. All their traits and personalities are a bit different than in G4 and I think its a nice thing. We can see different sides of them
9:16 AM · Jun 22, 2020

(Regarding Ponyville now being surrounded by water)
I just find cliffs and water super romantic and dramatic so that's why I pitched this to Adrian and he simply said: yep. He's a pretty agreeable guy and a pleasure to work with, really
10:06 AM · Jun 22, 2020

I don't think TeenTitans Go was anyone's inspiration to be honest. Our job was to create a show for modern kids to relate to. A slice of life series and this is what we pitched and delivered. When it comes to like mood board for the series our inspiration wasn't modern at all tbh
10:10 AM · Jun 22, 2020

(Asking how they have technology)
No idea. Maybe it runs on magic? The idea of the show is to be more in tune with modern kids and they don't know the world without technology. PL is a show for modern kids to relate to. As for other things. You need to watch the series :)
12:45 PM · Jun 22, 2020

(Have you been working on this for a while?)
For a while, yeah. We started last year but don't ask me for dates. My brain is like a sieve nowadays and I really can't recall :(
12:48 PM · Jun 22, 2020

(Was UPA an inspiration for the backgrounds?)
UPA yes! Mainly, with some anime nods here and there :))
12:51 PM · Jun 22, 2020

It's an alternative universe
2:21 PM · Jun 22, 2020

EDIT:
www.equestriadaily.com

The Art Director For Ponly Life Did a Short Q&A On Twitter Yesterday - Here Are the Responses

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic News, Brony and bronies, my little pony merchandise, pony art, pony music, pony media

EDIT:
(Why is Rainbow's design so different?)
It was hard to get her hair work on such a small body and Adrian had this idea to make her a bit more punk rock so...yeah. the character designers went with that
2:05 AM · Jun 23, 2020

(Thoughts on fan reaction)
It was expected, so me or PL team are not shocked, sad or anything. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions so... we're grand! I think ppl will warm up to the series as the time progresses but this in only my personal opinion
8:19 AM · Jun 23, 2020

(What's with the potions and Fluttershy changing size?)
Potions were in the scripts from the get-go and I think they are there because of the potions toy line. As for Flutter. It's her thing in PL. She can get super big or super tiny at will. PP bursts into confetti, TWI shatters, RR summons her couch, AJ breaks the 4th wall
8:57 AM · Jun 23, 2020

I hope that doesn't literally mean they'll be using those same gags over and over.

(Inspiration for art style)
Mainly UPA style with dash of inspiration from various anime and also PP and her personality. We are using a lot of curves and soft lines to reflect that, some of the trees even imitate her mane. The style really evolved with time and I can't thank enough my concept team for that
9:24 AM · Jun 23, 2020

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Applejack's trailer is here!

And a setting-based trailer

Oh huh, it looks like there might be an origin story after all, from the clip of Pinkie becoming in charge of Sugarcube Corner.

We also have a bunch of clip compilations from later episodes. They have spoilers (seriously, between the Fluttershy and Pinkie videos, we got half of the cat episode this weekend), but they also demonstrate that later episodes seem to move at a much less hectic pace. I suppose the first two stories were outliers.

www.youtube.com

My Little Pony: Pony Life 💖 NEW 💖Pinkie Pie Best Moments | MLP Pony Life

Watch #PonyLife full episodes on #Discovery Family every Saturday and Sunday at 11:30a ET! 👀Watch more Pony Life episodes: https://bit.ly/MorePonyLife❤️ Sub...

The Pinkie one is mostly clips from the first story.

These clips do confirm that the CMC an background ponies exist, though I don't think we have the old reliable ones in the latter case.

3. Cute-pocalypse Meow / 4. How Applejack Got Her Hat Back
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Just going to number episodes by 10 minute chunks since that's what everyone else is doing.

3. Cute-pocalypse Meow / 4. How Applejack Got Her Hat Back
I enjoyed both of these episodes a lot more than the first set. The pacing felt better and I got a better sense of what this show was trying to do. Aside from the below sequence from the first episode, which I really liked, the second episode was stronger. It was just my type of dumb humor and there were some sweet friendship moments with Rarity and Applejack. The sequence of Applejack changing hats was great, and the alt-ponies with normal human names were fun.

I was surprised to see Pinkie's participation in the Royal Jelly Juggernaut still come up as a side story in both episodes.

Spike is now being played by Tabitha St. Germain rather than Cathy Weseluck, which is really weird. I guess that goes to show they're really cutting down on VAs.

Also there were some really nice pieces of background music between these two episodes. What stands out to me are the gym sequence in the first, the clip below, and Applejack's comeback in the second.

Hasbro is actually going hard on YouTube clips for this... but Twitter is all good!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
The hipster ponies in the AJ episode got me laughing pretty hard, partly because they remind me of a friend I know who is like "no everything mainstream is dumb everything I like is not dumb" but he's at least self aware about it :P

Honestly, these are kind of fun

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Cathy Weseluck talks about why she's no longer voicing Spike. She doesn't give details, but she decided the end of FiM was a good point to stop. I suppose she saw that the FiM cast would be called back to voice their characters frequently even after the end of the show and decided she didn't want to commit to that.

5. Bad Thing No. 3 / 6. Pinkie Pie: Hyper-Helper
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
5. Bad Thing No. 3 / 6. Pinkie Pie: Hyper-Helper
These episodes weren't as entertaining as last week's Applejack one, but they were nice and cozy.

Oh my god Tabitha's Gollum voice. In general, they're playing up Tabitha's dramatic voice and Rarity's accent more, which I definitely don't mind. We're starting to see more characterization differences with this episode. Rarity here is clumsy, but with this episode, has canonically gone on more on-screen dates than FiM Rarity. Gummy is more protective of Pinkie here and... actually does stuff. I thought the bandana was oddly incorporated, but it led to fun moments. Plus it is a good look for Rarity. The ending with Rarity dumping Fancy Pants was good.

It was interesting how the second episode actually presented Pinkie as being really responsible and reliable. I was concerned about how the others were presented at first, but they all came together to help her once they knew there was a problem. The Royal Jelly Juggernaut sequence was good. I'm glad they acknowledged Rainbow is sick and really should not be helping, and that bringing in a group would probably break the rules (and it did). Interesting that they're continuing the reality show thing by having Pinkie participate in a spinoff show, now that she lost this one.

Title cards this time:

Notable clips:

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I gotta go back and complete the entire FiM series. Don't know why I stopped watching it halfway.

7. The Trial Less Trotten / Death of a Sales Pony // 8. Big Hoof Walking / The Fluttershy Effect
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
7. The Trial Less Trotten / Death of a Sales Pony // 8. Big Hoof Walking / The Fluttershy Effect
This is the first set of episodes where every five-minute chunk was its own story, yet they also all tied together with the story of the fake troupe, which still hasn't been resolved. I think this storyline is pretty fun; something just tickles me about the fact that the inciting incident is them being rejected for being too old to start a troupe. Applejack being the one to suggest lying and Rainbow being against it is weird, but that just brings back the old "they have the wrong Elements" jokes.

The first story shows us Fluttershy's house, and it's an interesting redesign.
vlcsnap-2020-07-12-12h27m04s079.png

It also showed us Twilight's house, though I didn't realize that until the last story.
vlcsnap-2020-07-12-12h46m01s695.png

Sheesh, Twilight is just living in ruins that don't even have a ceiling. She's got it rough.

The second story was a rough one, I thought. We've seen the girls get so caught up in something that they treat their friends badly before, notably in "Rarity Takes Manehattan", but the tone of this series made it seem more like Fluttershy was a different character altogether. I mean, I thought it made sense given her obsession with Finn-tastic, but others had a hard time connecting her actions to Fluttershy's personality.

Also, uh

Baba Yaga house! And RIP the fifth Pie sibling, I guess.

The cloud gag in the third story got me. In the PonyERA stream, someone brought up FiM teaching a lesson about not believing superstitions, but then Twilight looked up Bighoof and confirmed he is in fact real. I have to say, I wasn't quite sure if Fluttershy changing size was something she was really doing, but no, Fluttershy having to get big to rescue Pinkie shows it's an actual thing.

The fourth story had fun gags, though I feel they didn't explore Dash jumping to the future nearly as much as they could have.

I'd like to highlight the writer of episode 8, Taneka Stotts. I believe she's the first Black writer for MLP G4, and the first Black woman writer at that. She's an Eisner Award-winning comic writer, and has written for Craig of the Creek and Steven Universe. Also, four weeks in, every writer has been a woman. I also tweeted about this.

EDIT:

Confirmed that Pony Life has a writer's room, which is what Lauren Faust wanted for FiM.

Here are the title cards

Also, a Simpsons edit

Nov 3, 2017
I mean, we had a horrorfilm title reference in MLP, but I`d never thought I see a "Death of a Travelling Salesman" titlecard...

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not sold on Fluttershy in this iteration, I guess "The Shy one" is a little harder to sell in the faster pace of the show, but her being the secretly twisted one seems a little too far away from what I personally enjoy about her.

In contrast, the format works in favour of Rarity's more over-dramaticising moments and let's Tabitha go wild which has been fun.

Also, episode being called "Death of a Sales Pony", swear that's the first time the show has actually been allowed to mention death.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
My young children love MLP but I can't stand the association with certain adult male fans. It's so gross.

Nov 3, 2017
My young children love MLP but I can't stand the association with certain adult male fans. It's so gross.

98 % of Bronies are ok even if you meet them. There are some heavy pervs, sure, and on Resetera, some non-Brony will always come in and post something horrible from them if you get an MLP thread to prove they are all disgusting. But the whole "Bronies are all pedos" thing is overblown. Most just like the show.

Also, don't worry, the adult fanbase has dissolved heavily after Gen4 ended.

Though if you want to find a kids show WITHOUT a rabid adult fanbase these days, good luck.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I somehow missed every single bump of this thread until yesterday.

The show is actually pretty good! I like the artwork a lot, and when you accept the weird, dreamlike world the whole thing seems to operate in, it's pretty cute and funny. Some surprisingly sharp writing in there.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I completely missed this. Never watched S9 either. Thats what you get for waiting for stuff to release on Netflix...

Like this artstyle.