Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
This might be an unpopular opinion, but he sounds like a normal teenager to me

Yeah, most teenagers lose interest in things that they used to enjoy when they were younger. And it can happen fast. He's a teenager now and discovered something a lot of his peers are most likely into as well. When I was 14, I quickly lost interest in toy cars and wanted to get with girls instead.

I wouldn't be worried until it starts affecting his social life, grades, etc.
There are plenty of high functioning addicts. That doesn't mean you can just keep plowing along. The kid is asking for help, it would be very negligent to just handwave it.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I would contact with a professional to get professional advice. I don't think people on Era really know how to address this kind of addiction.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I would contact with a professional to get professional advice. I don't think people on Era really know how to address this kind of addiction.
Not his kid, so it would have to be his parents, which don't seem as alarmed. You can't just send an underaged family member outside of parental care to consult with a mental health professional.

Last edited:

AliceAmber

Don't dream it, be it
Administrator
May 2, 2018
If he has access to Disney+ he might get a kick out of Owl House or Gravity Falls

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I have a 16 year old who was going through this. And he was certainly not Captain of any team or had a big social circle. So I think this is a situation that's universal. With my son, our family has a history of depression and we were going through some things. My kid had 6 months where he didn't even play games. He just sat on his bed watching YT. He just needed time to himself - a sort of Gen A version of alone time.

That said, nephew might be in a situation where he doesn't feel motivated or is burned out. As someone who understands sometimes just wanting to shut down and do the very bare minimum this can be a great coping mechanism for simply REBOOTing.

I would look into therapy as well. There may be things that no amount of prodding or constant demanding answers or even "seaking clues" will ever find. But a stranger with a kind demeanor may be something he needs: a sympathetic ear.

Also: honestly? A lot of kids use their phones the same way we did TV back in the day. It's not any weirder than us watching 4 hours of cartoons on Saturday mornings.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Not his kid, so it would have to be his parents, which dont' seem as alarmed. You can't just send an underaged family member not under your care to consult with a mental health professional.

Yes, I was talking about his parents. No need to involve the kid yet. Maybe the OP can try to convince his parents to make a consultation first to see if the professional thinks there may be a problem there.

Maybe the professional can give some tips of how to address the situation without involving the kid further, see how the situation evolves.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Buddy

I would highly recommend the whole family watches The Social Dilemma on netflix. It gets the point across, really well, that all the big tech companies have an incentive to make social media and phones as addictive as possible, and build multi billion dollar businesses on attention farming.

It also touches on topics like body image, depression, and fomo and so on.

Secondly, I would recommend getting agreement and buy in to put controls on the phone, maybe for those two specific apps at first. Either ban them completely for a couple of weeks or heavily restrict them. It can be done as a trial period even, to see what works.

I was worried about myself getting sucked into YouTube (and being annoyed that I was losing hours when I'd rather have been doing other stuff) plus I was worried about my teenage boys being the same.

Google turns off parental controls at 13, so we mutually installed Block to setup blocks on specific apps and try to enforce a bed time routine. He has the pin to change the setup on my phone and I have it to change the setup on his.

I think it's worked, "ok" in terms of getting to a sensible/mutual understanding of the issue and avoided some of the parent/child arguing.

Changing tack, I haven't read all the comments in here but it sounds like people are already posting "what aboutisms" etc. which is sad to see, and hurts my soul.

Do you really think any one persons "will power" can stand up to hundreds of millions of dollars in psychological research and experiments on tens of millions of users? Nope!

Imho there are *some* parralells to the tobacco industry where they were spending huge money to advertise their products, and make them seem as cool as possible...whilst lobbying hard, denying the harms etc. etc.

If people want to read more, there is quite a lot of science and research out there about depression, attention spans etc, as well as a growing number of countries that are banning and limiting phones in various ways.

There is the who study from a little while ago as a start.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
One day we're going to look at back and realizing the insane damage that social media are doing to people

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
No offense, but my opinion is that it's none of your business. He has parents of his own. My aunts and uncles did a lot of meddling in the parenting of each other's children and it was always unnecessary and only led to resentment. My parents always ended up telling them "we can parent our own child, thanks."

To be fair, all of them are horrible bigots who had no idea how to be parents, but my perspective because of that is to leave the parenting to the parents and just be a fun uncle/aunt.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I want kids someday. I also am a control freak.

Im doing the work now required to understand that at the end of the day, i cant control the person that my son or daughter grows up to be.

Sounds like hes crushing it already. You can lay down a path for your kids, and gently push them towards it, but we gotta let them self-realize too. If they're gonna be a boring ass phone nerd… *shrug*. Just love them.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
My younger nephew (age eight) is like this, obsessed with his tablet and doesn't answer when asked anything when he's on it. My sister is strict about limiting the time they have on them so she's trying to nip it in the bud before it gets as bad as the situation in the OP.

ratprophet

Banned
Jun 24, 2021
My biggest issue with his screentime is the lack of enjoyment of other things he used to love.

He loved reading for example.... since he got into Tik Tok he barely touches a book anymore.

He was into RC Cars. Now it collects dust.

Today he got his phone back and promised to be better.... we'll see how it goes

My advice would be to get him some short story collections. Happy to give some recommendations if you let me know what books he likes. I used to read obsessively as a kid, stopped doing so for a few years, and found it difficult to get back into it at first but short stories really, really helped.

Time

Nov 28, 2023
So my nephew (14) got his mobile phone taken away from him today by his Dad. His mother (my sister) warned him the last weeks/months, his phone use is getting out of hand and he needs to dial it down.

He swipes Tik Tok and YouTube Shorts for hours and is so invested/focused, he doesn't react if talked to. And if he is not watching some braindead tik tok video he plays Brawl Stars.

His mother is very patient with him because he has good grades and has friends/goes outside and is the captain of his sports team (soccer) and very good at it. So she lets him do whatever if his homework and studying is done.

But watching Tik Tok for hours daily can't be good in my opinion. How should this be handled? His way of talking changed in the last months. He curses much more and is generally a little angrier. I think being a teenager has something to do with it but I hear the people talk in the videos and some of it is really bad.

How would you guys handle this? He is a good kid and responds reasonable. He told me he knows it is too much sometimes but can't control himself....

His mom told him he can watch Netflix or something or play on his PlayStation but he prefers his phone....

Today he asked me for series recommendations. He wants to start watching something but the shows I watch are mostly rated 16 or 18. That's a nono from his mother. Any recommendations would be helpful. He has Prime video and Netflix.

As a teacher, and a parent, I would say yes, it is a big problem. There is increasingly evidence that excessive phone use is extremely bad for children and is very detrimental to things like their mental health and attention span. In some of the worst cases students are on their phone in excess of 40 hrs a week!
It is easily fixable though, your sister can use parental controls to restrict the phones screen time and regulate hours of usage. We also have house rules, like no phones out when we are eating or hanging out.

Time

Nov 28, 2023
Buddy

I would highly recommend the whole family watches The Social Dilemma on netflix. It gets the point across, really well, that all the big tech companies have an incentive to make social media and phones as addictive as possible, and build multi billion dollar businesses on attention farming.

It also touches on topics like body image, depression, and fomo and so on.

Secondly, I would recommend getting agreement and buy in to put controls on the phone, maybe for those two specific apps at first. Either ban them completely for a couple of weeks or heavily restrict them. It can be done as a trial period even, to see what works.

I was worried about myself getting sucked into YouTube (and being annoyed that I was losing hours when I'd rather have been doing other stuff) plus I was worried about my teenage boys being the same.

Google turns off parental controls at 13, so we mutually installed Block to setup blocks on specific apps and try to enforce a bed time routine. He has the pin to change the setup on my phone and I have it to change the setup on his.

I think it's worked, "ok" in terms of getting to a sensible/mutual understanding of the issue and avoided some of the parent/child arguing.

Changing tack, I haven't read all the comments in here but it sounds like people are already posting "what aboutisms" etc. which is sad to see, and hurts my soul.

Do you really think any one persons "will power" can stand up to hundreds of millions of dollars in psychological research and experiments on tens of millions of users? Nope!

Imho there are *some* parralells to the tobacco industry where they were spending huge money to advertise their products, and make them seem as cool as possible...whilst lobbying hard, denying the harms etc. etc.

If people want to read more, there is quite a lot of science and research out there about depression, attention spans etc, as well as a growing number of countries that are banning and limiting phones in various ways.

There is the who study from a little while ago as a start.
You can choose to keep the parental controls on with Google. My daughters phone still has controls and she is 14.5!

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
At that age I was on forums for hours a day not too dissimilar to this one. Only difference is I wasn't browsing what the algorithm was feeding me. I was on a PSP hacking forum and a GTA forum.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
Ask about things that actually interest him that he would like to do, art, music, skills. He is still at an age when doing something for 30 minutes a day will make him proficient as a young adult.