KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/BP6N_JrLUIM

I've been watching some youtube content of some of my favorite comedies from back in the day. Airplane, Naked Gun, you know.
But one of the first comedy movies I ever saw was Hot Shots Part Deux. It came out when I was around 7 and I saw it for the first time maybe a year later? Either way I had it on VHS and I wore that tape out I watched it so many times. Really formative for my sense of humor. I then went on to see Airplane and Naked Gun and all the other movies with Leslie Nielsen and crew. It took a while but I eventually got around to seeing the first Hot Shots.

But really this thread is for Hot Shots Part Deux, the sequel from 1993 starring Charlie Sheen and Lloyd Bridges from the first movie, as well as a large amount of other dramatic and comedic actors from that time, even having an appearance by Rowan Atkinson.

Charlie Sheen is amazing in both Hot Shots. His ability to deliver the absolute stupidest lines and shit completely straight is amazing.

This movie is ridiculous and stupid in a lot ways that tickle my funny-bone. So many good jokes (and a share of ones that aren't). Thread title is a great one, and I found a clip of it!

Gonna try to get my wife to watch it tonight since apparently it's on Hulu. We watched Airplane! last night, which is a movie I have seen well over 2 dozen times. In the mood for this stuff.

Also yes Youtube reaction content is usually shit but seeing people trying to parse these movies for the first time is funny as hell.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"At ease, men"
Ze4oceZ.gif

alba

Oct 27, 2017
MI
Hot Shots & Naked Gun are my two favorite movie "franchises". I absolutely love them and they're basically my entire childhood and just like you shaped my sense of humor. They still hold up and I doubt I'll ever get tired of them, bahaha.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I can't think of any other parody movie where the sequel was actually better. It's a miracle the movie ended up as good as it did.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
the golden age of movie parodies, when they were actually funny movies on their own with just deadpan comedy and infinite visual gags in almost every scene 😂

Airplane, Hotshots, Top Secret, Naked Gun, Fatal Instinct, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Loaded Weapon 1, all just so good!

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Think it's the first Hot Shots but Lloyd Bridges coming down the steps on the air craft carried and eating shit "I slipped on a crab!, who put that crab there?!" is the funniest shit and a line I say anytime I trip or fall. So a line I say almost daily.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favs growing up.

I wonder if it holds up.

So my wife and I have been on a grand tour re-watching classic comedies like this, airplane etc.
IMO This movie holds up surprisingly well! Most of the jokes still land and aren't retroactively problematic aside potentially for certain representation. However considering it is a parody of American action movies ala rambo, that in itself is likely very intentionally done to poke fun at how unrealistic their counterparts actually are. To be honest I'm having trouble writing it as clearly as I'd like but hopefully it makes sense!

Next on the list for us is the naked gun series!

OP
OP
KujoJosuke

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the first Hot Shots is also pretty funny, but Part Deux is just better.

the first movie is more focused on being a Top Gun parody.

It does have that amazing sequence where all the pilot candidates realize they're related in some way when Jon Cryer's character realized his dad shot Cary Elwes's dad and mounted his head on the wall of their house (his plane accident ended up with him getting antlers on his helmet, easy mistake for a hunter to make)

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I miss this kind of dumb kid humor, these days you only see this stuff in cartoons, and even there it's rare

recently the knuckles show reminded me a bit of this kind of humor, but it's still not as good

BTW the french dub for hot shot 2 was amazing too

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
Hot Shots Part Deux is my favourite comedy of all time. I remember my friends and I renting it as kids for one of our birthdays. I think we also rented Robin Hood Men in Tights that time.

I miss the era of good parody movies.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part will always be coating his fists in ice cream toppings at the start.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the first Hot Shots is also pretty funny, but Part Deux is just better.

the first movie is more focused on being a Top Gun parody.

It does have that amazing sequence where all the pilot candidates realize they're related in some way when Jon Cryer's character realized his dad shot Cary Elwes's dad and mounted his head on the wall of their house (his plane accident ended up with him getting antlers on his helmet, easy mistake for a hunter to make)

2b1f6e43-c7af-4caa-b5b3-8f5ebd4216d4_text.gif

Say what you will about Hot Shots vs its sequel, but this gag (in two parts) is still the best one from either movie, and it's from the first:

View: https://youtu.be/3JkBKGttM_U

View: https://youtu.be/ECiut2qgJck

There's even more to it than those two clips, of course. The joke keeps building and building way past the point where you're expecting a punchline, and it's great. :)

This is one of my favorite comedy sequences in a movie. I almost posted it earlier in this thread and I've definitely referenced it on this site before. It's really well done. The mirror bit always got me, "Wendy, I can fly!", the dialog between Dead Meat and his wife as he walks toward the jet. It's all perfect.

OP
OP
KujoJosuke

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
2b1f6e43-c7af-4caa-b5b3-8f5ebd4216d4_text.gif

This is one of my favorite comedy sequences in a movie. I almost posted it earlier in this thread and I've definitely referenced it on this site before. It's really well done. The mirror bit always got me, "Wendy, I can fly!", the dialog between Dead Meat and his wife as he walks toward the jet. It's all perfect.

"I've got the kids stripping asbestos off the pipes right now"

love seeing parents instilling good values in their kids

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm team hot shots 2 > 1 but both are very underrated.

Man, I really miss (GOOD) spoof movies. Shame they just stopped.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've been rewatching all the Mel Brooks movies the past few weeks, and before that I did all the police squad/naked gun films, as well as airplane!.

Like the OP, Hot shots part deux was probably the first real parody comedy I remember seeing. With Robin Hood men in tights (and princess bride) being the other two stand outs.

I tried watching police academy last night and for some reason it didnt hit as well as an adult.

Not another teen movie, I think, is the last truly good 'parody' film before everything went to shit.

I miss this era of parody film, I really hope the new naked gun film turns out.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Yeah it sucks these types of parody movies died out. They were so good. Then they were just ran into the ground and beyond by all those movies after the first couple scary movies.

Hopefully the new Naked Gun movie can bring this genre back, even if it is a one time success.