• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To make it short, she thinks that my depression is something I can "snap-out" of, and that I'm only "choosing" to be depressed so others will pity me. I recently lost my job, and she is convinced that I lost my job because I "chose" to be sad all of the time, and that me choosing not to stop being depressed is because I'm immature. I don't know how to address this. I have to take medicine to help with suicidal depression and anxiety, but I'm worried that with what she has said she either won't let me get more or will only shame me for it even more.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
People that don't understand mental illness often times think people can snap out of it. I'd send her some online reading about mental illnesses to help educate her a bit more. Another option would be a therapist and see if she will come with you once to talk to them, or even the doc prescribing your meds.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
Tell her to stop faking being your mother then.
tenor.gif

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most people have not concept about what is mental illness and how it affects people

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
. I have to take medicine to help with suicidal depression and anxiety, but I'm worried that with what she has said she either won't let me get more or will only shame me for it even more.

This is unacceptable. If you can ask your doctor for some documentation for her, or better yet, if you can all sit down and he can explain to your parents why it's needed.

She can be a c*** about it, don't let that impact your own health path. People will always be dicks about Mental Illness. But don't let anyone stop you from getting help.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not wanting to create more conflict than there already is.

This basically proves you are more mature then her, so you can stop feeling shame right there. She sounds like an horrible person.

Is she the kind of person who uses power language? google it, if she does, then learn more about it so you can more easily handle it.

Sorry, not good at stuff like this, I am horrible at avoiding conflicts.

Oct 27, 2017

I appreciate your sentiment but at some point people like your mom have to be confronted with the cold, hard truth to "snap out" of their delusion.

And if she really has the nerve to deny you your medicine in some way you should ask her if she doesn't care if you die.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Your step-mom sounds like an irrational fool who shouldn't opine on matters she quite plainly doesn't understand.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Have the confidence to know that you're step mother is wrong in this matter. Also know that you won't convince her, but that's not your issue.. it's likely a reflection of an issue she has.

Worry about yourself - a big part of me getting better in my depression and anxiety has been caring about myself and not worrying about how it fits in with other people like my family and sisters. While we all love each other, there is something in our dysfunction where my family likes me being the identified patient and I got tired of living that role.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
OP - I used to think the same - I would scoff at those who said they were "sad" and "blue" - just snap out of it blah blah blah.

Until I went through my own depression - it was then that I realised how constant and life affecting it could be. Changed my entire perspective on how depression can completely ruin someone for a long long time. I worked through it via a combination of excellent friends and my overall support network, but yeah, fuck being told it's not real. It absolutely is.

Oct 26, 2017
I know you've said you don't know hot address it, but have you considered just having a lengthy conversation with her? Hell it doesn't need to even be a back and forth thing, just have her listen to everything you need to say about depression. If she still doesn't understand then, perhaps it would be time to seek a counselor to help mediate.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to get people to understand. Hopefully you found a better solution than I have. I usually just let people think their bullshit and deal with it.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
In this day and age, sigh.

If possible, talk to her and give her various links with info regarding depression.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

It's not about creating more conflict, it is about surrounding yourself with people who do support you and asserting your boundaries. Your mom is choosing to be toxic. You don't need to totally disown her (you certainly don't need to say the phrase you quoted), just tell her that her words are hurtful and you need some space. Hopefully she will come around. At least to the point where she keeps these garbage opinions to herself.

Your mom's position isn't an uncommon sentiment, sadly.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mental illness is difficult for people to understand if they have never experienced it themselves or treated people who are suffering from it. Your stepmother is being ignorant, and she should strive to have more empathy since it is probably pretty clear that you are suffering...but our society in general is not very empathetic towards mental illness.

Do you rely on her for financial support?

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
People who haven't experienced crippling mental illnesses such as depression and GAD are just not going to be able to understand what a person suffering from them is going through. I had my worst anxiety attack last Friday. 90 mins of terror. My past anxiety attacks usually last minutes. I was on campus, and had help form the counselling center, and the health clinic there. While they were trying to understand what was going with me without any judgment, I could still see how puzzled they looked from the way they looked at me. It was real to me, but they probably thought I was crazy. Those are trained health professionals. Other people are not going to try to understand. My family is also dismissive about my anxiety and they tell me that I should suck it up like everyone else does.

Dec 3, 2017
North Dakota

I'm sorry you're getting a bunch of flippant answers that won't help anything, OP :( Is your father in the picture? If he doesn't share the same opinions as your mother, talking to him about it would be a good idea.

Otherwise, just please make sure your doctor knows that your mother is threatening to get in the way of your ability to keep taking your meds. Your doctor may be able to talk to her and snap her out of it, or at the very least open her eyes to the fact that the medication you're taking is a very real and helpful one.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Nothing's gonna top the first reply

you have my sympathies OP some people are just fucking idiots that believe what they wanna believe and that's that.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you that poster who made a thread about getting rid of your cat because your step-mother wasn't allowing it to come out of your room?

Regardless I'm sorry you've got such a ignorant and unsympathetic step-mom. When you get a job again I would (if I were you) seriously consider moving out even if it is to a room in a shared house.

How could your step-mom stop you from getting medication (surely that is entirely your decision if you are an adult)?

Last edited:

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
My mother has depression and she was ragging on my uncle who was depressed and suicidal.

Anyway, to be more useful: how old are you? You have more options as an adult. Like Uber to the doctor and the pharmacy and whatnot. Telemedicine is the newest shit right now and having your meds sent by mail. I dont know much, I'm just mentioning options.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It's really tragic when people don't understand a loved one's mental illness. My wife is diagnosed bipolar and her sister was as well. The parents never did "get it" and always made the snap out of it comments. We ultimately lost the sister and even that wasn't enough for the the parents to figure it out.

I would like to offer some constructive comments, and the OP should definitely try to get the parent involved in counseling and education, but honestly they may never fully understand.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Have the confidence to know that you're step mother is wrong in this matter. Also know that you won't convince her, but that's not your issue.. it's likely a reflection of an issue she has.

Worry about yourself - a big part of me getting better in my depression and anxiety has been caring about myself and not worrying about how it fits in with other people like my family and sisters. While we all love each other, there is something in our dysfunction where my family likes me being the identified patient and I got tired of living that role.

Cosigned.

As the Identified Patient in my family, it took a long time to realize that no matter what logic or rationale or emotional appeals I presented, they were nevertheless entrenched in the need for me to be sick or wrong, and would actively sabotage or undermine any attempts I made to seek help or improve. Whether they could articulate it or not, the entire toxic family dynamic was clearly reaping benefits from me being unwell, and they were heavily invested in the narrative that I was lazy/stupid/willfully disobedient.

When I started getting better, it gave the lie to their perceptions of me, and made them feel deeply insecure about their own issues and how their unaddressed mental health challenges/lack of support contributed to my former difficulties. It was easier for them to try and put me back in my place than to cultivate the awareness to confront their own problems.

They would literally withhold my medications, refuse to help me get to counseling appointments or sabotage my own efforts to do so, and if they found out that such-and-such thing triggered me to the extent of self-harm or substance abuse (for example, I'm autistic and changes in routine or surprise house guests are very difficult to handle), they'd make a point to do it over and over.

Once my Dad called my counselor demanding to be given transcripts of I was saying in my appointments. He didn't want to know how I was doing -- he wanted to know what I was saying. I think that says a lot about their priorities regarding my wellbeing. Luckily I was over 18 and the counselor refused to divulge any information whatsoever. Apparently he called her a "meddling cunt" and "quack bitch" and other expletives. My next appointment began with her saying, "So, your Dad seems like a real nasty piece of work..."

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that mental health is THE top priority, and I've learned that I can't have people in my personal life who don't, won't, or can't recognize that. If someone would rather see me unemployed, bleeding, drunk, high, or dead than getting help, then they. Gotta. GO. They're a genuine threat to my sanity, and I've put too much hard work into that to compromise it for anyone.

This may or may not be easier said than done in your situation, but if you have the ability to cut people out of your life who don't support your wellbeing, do it and don't look back. We accept the love we think we deserve, and you deserve to be loved in a healthy manner that nurtures your best self to fruition. You do NOT deserve to be belittled, degraded, or undermined in your attempts to recognize and treat your legitimate challenges.

Darknight34

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
It is hard to understand if you haven't been there. I think it's good to strive toward a future where it isn't needed, but that's such a case by case thing. She sounds like she just needs a little push toward some information. I hope she is just hoping for a future where you can be free of your struggle, and it's just manifesting in a bad way.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Mental illness is difficult for others to get their mind around. I know I struggle sometimes with telling someone to suck it up, but I know now that it doesn't work that way when people are faced with actual depression. This is probably why your step mother is saying this, she sees you as not with someone with an illness, but someone who is perhaps taking the easy road.

How long has she been the step mother for? I assume this is a long term relationship and is not someone who has suddenly appeared in your life. Is it possible to have your family in with you during a session with a doctor so the doctor can lay it out to them and help to explain what mental illness is and why you can't just choose to get out of it? It is clear that something has to change though. If she is threatening to take your meds than you need to have some sort of intervention with her.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017

I can relate to so much. Thanks for sharing your story.

While my parents never wiithheld my meds, I have a similar story. I finally put together 6 months of sobriety after a few years of struggling with alcohol abuse, when my dad told me I "have to learn to control (my drinking)" despite me finally getting healthy and happy. I don't need to explain how that's a projection of his problem.

I've also had my mom think my new therapist is a problem. I'm a 35-year-old married man, and my mom believes she still has a role in my mental health (and I believed it for a long time too).

Regardless for the OP, you're getting treatment for your depression the healthy, scientific way. Again, your step mother is wrong - you are right. Keep working towards getting healthy. You should be proud of yourself.