• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen it do anything remotely like that tbh. It just popped up in the corner of my screen and was like "download Spotify to listen to podcasts like The Joe Rogan Experience" with a click here button.

I don't like this. :|

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I've been meaning to shut of targeted ads on my TV. I was watching Tenet on HBO through my PS4 the other day and my TV puts an ad across the bottom that says "watch this from other providers." Motherfucker, I'm already watching the movie. The audacity.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I have targeted ads turned off on my stuff, so I constantly get ads for things like that. It just serves you the most popular ads, and Joe Rogan is one of Spotify's biggest things

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Youtube has been giving me ads for Ben Shapiro, Candace Owens, and other lesser alt-right douchebags. I say "stop seeing this ad", nothing. I go out of my way to block their channels, nope, still get ads for those very same channels. It's so utterly annoying, not just that I have to keep seeing them, but because I know millions of others are getting these ads.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I wish smart TVs would just go away, but they're a source of post-purchase profit for the manufacturers, so they won't.

Oct 25, 2017
Youtube has been giving me ads for Ben Shapiro, Candace Owens, and other lesser alt-right douchebags. I say "stop seeing this ad", nothing. I go out of my way to block their channels, nope, still get ads for those very same channels. It's so utterly annoying, not just that I have to keep seeing them, but because I know millions of others are getting these ads.

Just be happy they wasted their money advertising to you.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this was a thing... So you get ads even if you turn it off? Is there a way to not allow the TV to show any ads at all?
...not buy a smart TV? The whole reason you got the TV you have for the price you paid is because baked in to the cost is the fact that they can show you ads. Expect to pay a premium for a TV that doesn't have smart features. You can also disconnect your TV from the internet, but your TV will probably constantly bug you about connecting it

You can also build something like a Pi-hole to block ads on a network-wide basis.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
...not buy a smart TV? The whole reason you got the TV you have for the price you paid is because baked in to the cost is the fact that they can show you ads. Expect to pay a premium for a TV that doesn't have smart features. You can also disconnect your TV from the internet, but your TV will probably constantly bug you about connecting it

You can also build something like a Pi-hole to block ads on a network-wide basis.
I see. Back when I was looking for a 4k screen a couple of years ago, I preferred to buy a large 32 inch monitor and use my laptop/PS4/Chromecast for any streaming and media consumption rather than getting a TV. In my opinion, most TVs at the time were far too large for my small flat.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
TV manufacturers are really invasive about getting data on you to sell. They can even track offline sources like cable boxes by visually fingerprinting what's being displayed on the screen.

The talk when Apple was rolling out the Apple TV app to smart TVs was that certain manufacturers were holding it up because they mandated the ability to mine viewing data and Apple wouldn't allow it.

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Happen to me on my CX. I originally thought it was about it update available. I didn't know they could send you ads. I think this the first one I seen.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
i got this on my Cx just now. i think the Spotify app auto updated and now supports video podcast like the "Joe Rogan Experience"

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Fucking disgusting. I killed the ads on my KS8000 with Alt DNS (https://alternate-dns.com/), which works flawlessly. It's free, and it's literally just typing in the numbers in the DNS setting of the TV. But I'm never going to buy another TV that puts ads in its menus.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
^ thanks for the link! I'm going to try that out. Currently using 1.1.1.1 which does not block ads, but I'll switch.

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Just got the same ad in German on my C8. Even here you're not safe. lol

This was the first time I got an ad, turned off a bunch of stuff in the settings that I overlooked apparently, hope it doesn't happen again.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I hate that my Spotify app puts it front and center every time. I've listened to thousands of hours of music and not a single podcast through Spotify. There's no way to say I'm not interested in it. So I have to see his stupid mug every time I open my app.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I never let my TVs connect to the internet other than to download updates

too intrusive

I use other connected devices

Last edited:

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Show me the fucking receipts. Round the time where smart TVs were coming in, non-smart TVs were mostly cheaper. The price of TVs hasn't reduced with any significance since then. Maybe OLED TVs, but that has nothing to do with smart capabilities.

"A premium for a TV that doesn't have smart features", give me a break, i bought a decent sized, decent quality dumb-TV five years ago that was cheap as heck.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Show me the fucking receipts. Round the time where smart TVs were coming in, non-smart TVs were mostly cheaper. The price of TVs hasn't reduced with any significance since then. Maybe OLED TVs, but that has nothing to do with smart capabilities.

"A premium for a TV that doesn't have smart features", give me a break, i bought a decent sized, decent quality dumb-TV five years ago that was cheap as heck.
When plasma first released I think I know someone who paid 5,000usd for a 55 inch

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Happened yesterday on my C9 as well and I can't recall anything like that happening before. Felt gross.

I immediately switched off all ad options and I will make sure going forward that that's the first thing I do when buying a new TV.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That TV knows all your media habits, so maybe you're just the ideal audience for Joe Rogan, OP.

Oct 25, 2017
I just got it. It was really minimal IMO. I really just block out those top right notifications. Was more a Spotify app ad that mentioned Joe Rogan than an ad for him. But it was just a small text notification that passed so quick it really didn't feel all that invasive. Annoying to get it at all but w/e

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
and by 2011 you could get that for $500 on a dumb plasma (I know because my family got one lol)

Neither of those price points have any meaning without context. You can buy stupidly cheap large screen TVs today and buy stupidly expensive TVs today as well.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Neither of those price points have any meaning without context. You can buy stupidly cheap large screen TVs today and buy stupidly expensive TVs today as well.
the point was that smart TVs didn't bring down price like another poster suggested. the technologies became dirt cheap over time with widespread panel production

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
I just got it. It was really minimal IMO. I really just block out those top right notifications. Was more a Spotify app ad that mentioned Joe Rogan than an ad for him. But it was just a small text notification that passed so quick it really didn't feel all that invasive. Annoying to get it at all but w/e

Yeah, I agree, this was just a notification and as an example Joe was mentioned. You often get an update like this.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Turning off ads on my CX was the first thing I did when I powered it on. Are people actually keeping these options turned on? For what?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was an app that could directly, personally contact Joe Rogan to let him know I wish he could go fuck himself.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
the point was that smart TVs didn't bring down price like another poster suggested. the technologies became dirt cheap over time with widespread panel production

And my point is spouting off two random prices doesn't really prove one way or another that smart TV functionality with ads has or has not impacted the price. You're just spouting off two different price points with no context. I'm not saying it is but neither of your points prove or disprove that because they lack context.

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
And my point is spouting off two random prices doesn't really prove one way or another that smart TV functionality with ads has or has not impacted the price. You're just spouting off two different price points with no context. I'm not saying it is but neither of your points prove or disprove that because they lack context.

I find this to be a pretty meaningless argument. I think what's more salient is that TVs with the best panels come bundled with Smart TV features. You'd be hard pressed to find a television with the panel quality of the LG C9 and CX, HDMI 2.1, and no internet features to speak of.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I find this to be a pretty meaningless argument. I think what's more salient is that TVs with the best panels come bundled with Smart TV features. You'd be hard pressed to find a television with the panel quality of the LG C9 and CX, HDMI 2.1, and no internet features to speak of.

Agreed. It's a moot point because you can't really buy a quality set that doesn't have smart TV functionality these days.