• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we've been married for 10 years...have gay friends and out of the blue she reveals she thinks that Dumbledore and Jonny Depp knocking boots is a bad influence on kids? WTF!??

I'm just reeling now as a LGBTQ ally. Granted she was born in China but still I'm just mind blown. Help?

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well you need to either determine if it's a sticking point although I know that I found out someone was a bigot that's all that be on my mind talking to them

OP
OP
MrMephistoX

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You fucked up fam

Did you ever talk to her?

Have you tried talking to her about this or are we the first ones you've really dropped into it with?

I tried talking with her ironically at a BJs and she was completely adamant about Dumbledore being a bad influence I was just completely floored...so yes you're the only people I've confided in. She went off on a rant about girls liking boy toys being bad out of the blue too. Like what the actual fuck? I don't know if it's WeChat hivemind or what but I just am floored here. She ironically was the first person to introduce me to gay people too when we were teaching in China too so yeah...mind blown.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Why did you name Dumbledore, Dumbledore, but then went and called Jonny Depp, Jonny Depp? It should either be Dumbledore and Grindelwald, or Jude Law and Jonny Depp!

A lot of people will either jokingly or seriously tell you to get a divorce; you should ignore them and actually talk to your wife then logically move from there.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
You've been married ten years and you're coming here to talk about it? Talk to your goddamn wife before a forum, son.

OP
OP
MrMephistoX

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have a kid who is great already so yeah just dropping the relationship isn't an option...I am literally just caught off guard here.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why did you name Dumbledore, Dumbledore, but then went and called Jonny Depp, Jonny Depp? It should either be Dumbledore and Grindelwald, or Jude Law and Jonny Depp!

A lot of people will either jokingly or seriously tell you to get a divorce; you should ignore them and actually talk to your wife then logically move from there.
She should divorce HIM over this

OP
OP
MrMephistoX

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, how did this not ever come up before?

If you're in an international marriage you pick your battles man...

It's come up before but more in the context of oh friend X we know is cool and gay so yay...but this is the first time it came up in context of a popular film. Also I have no ducking idea how Depp's character's last name is spelled so...

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I mean, talk about it. Tell her people don't turn gay because of gay people in movies, if that's her concern.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
I watched it in the theater in China and the entire audience was visibly and audibly uncomfortable. The government actively pushes back against homosexuality so it's not entirely surprising.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
you sure she wasnt saying it like "showing a toxic gay relationship is a bad influence on kids"

i dont know jack shit about harry potter so idk if that's even how the relationship is even portrayed

Oct 25, 2017
I tried talking with her ironically at a BJs and she was completely adamant about Dumbledore being a bad influence I was just completely floored...so yes you're the only people I've confided in. She went off on a rant about girls liking boy toys being bad out of the blue too. Like what the actual fuck? I don't know if it's WeChat hivemind or what but I just am floored here. She ironically was the first person to introduce me to gay people too when we were teaching in China too so yeah...mind blown.

I'm sure this will come off a little more harsh than I mean it to, but it sounds like you don't really know the person you married as well as you may think.

I think it's time to have a serious talk with her to see if your values actually align in ways you'd want them to, in order to have a successful relationship.

It's never easy when a relationship goes south because you suddenly realize you're two different people and can never hope to meet the expectations of the other and are constantly feeling the looming dread that you will ruin their life.

But you hold on for so long because you feel indebted to them but honestly, the real reason is that you don't want to be alone. So you put distance between the two of you until one day you can't stand yourself or what you've been doing anymore and you lash out on them and end things dramatically and with such cold cruelty you don't recognize yourself and neither do your friends. And then...you keep spiraling out of control until you hit the absolute bottom and it is an inescapable grace you've made for yourself. You'll never escape this hell you've made. You don't even try. You know you deserve it. Because of what you did.

Well, anyway, good luck my man. Hope you guys can work things out and figure out where to go from here.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Like is there something in the movie that shows this or did you just tell the backstory? Because I thought all of that stuff wasn't going to be in the movie.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stand up for what you believe in, talk to your friends and see if you can have a discussion and resolve your problem

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
Johnny Depp knocking boots with anyone is a bad influence dude's gross.

No, but talk to your wife.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Suck a dick in front of her and say "is this a bad influence? We're getting a divorce"

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Designate time for her
Initiate conversation
Voice your concerns
Object to her bigotry
Respond to her arguments
Come to Era for help
Emerge victorious