Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The alt text (i.e. caption or description) for the photo mentions CRT Geom. It's one of many included with the ReShade port of RetroArch shaders.
Yeah - that's the one.
And these are the settings used:
YG2IKcf.png

It's my go-to shader for modern games that I want to add scanlines to - because I think it's a pretty nice approximation of using a PC CRT monitor, and you can easily specify the resolution used in the shader if you want to play a PC game and make it look like it's running on say a 480p display, or match the resolution of modern pixel art games (which may not use the standard 240p).

I use HDR to account for any loss of brightness (Special K - or even AutoHDR/RTX HDR) but there's also a luminance boost setting near the bottom as a last resort.

Last edited:

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
The alt text (i.e. caption or description) for the photo mentions CRT Geom. It's one of many included with the ReShade port of RetroArch shaders.

Yeah - that's the one.
And these are the settings used:
YG2IKcf.png

It's my go-to shader for modern games that I want to add scanlines to - because I think it's a pretty nice approximation of using a PC CRT monitor, and you can easily specify the resolution used in the shader if you want to play a PC game and make it look like it's running on say a 480p display, or match the resolution of modern pixel art games (which may not use the standard 240p).

I use HDR to account for any loss of brightness (Special K - or even AutoHDR/RTX HDR) but there's also a luminance boost setting near the bottom as a last resort.

Thank you both, especially Pargon for sharing your settings! Just waiting for texture pack support before I try out the MM recomp.

P.S.: Didn't even know that alt text for pics was a thing here, haha.

Nov 8, 2017
How much does a crt shader alone help the image at 4k look more natural?

In the abstract, I think detail-textures of some form would also help when rendering purely at high res. In one sense what you want is just some form or noise pattern to help your brain fill in for the lack of detail in the original texture work. Crt filters have a similar effect in its own way I find.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
In that DF video they showed og N64 footage, kind of interesting how how organic the original edges look, I'm not sure what the entire reasoning behind that is, something to do with filtering? perhaps the 3-point filtering?
GN7vliXWkAAmiui

It looks like it''s adding 'detail' here:
GN70-npW4AA2WDP

The way the leaf pattern blends is different too, Is this an anomaly of using a high res or is the filtering different?
leafB.jpg

Xbob42

Nov 13, 2023
This IS a native port, and it has QoL stuff (dpad items, gyro aiming, autosaving) with more on the way (dual analog) while also rendering the graphics correctly unlike the shitty SoH port.
"Shitty SoH port" I know I'm a few days late, but what the fuck is this drive-by slander nonsense? The SoH port is fucking fantastic, the fact that it has what might be best described as "minor nitpicks" meaning it's a "shitty port" is fucking insane to me. Like, really?

"The bomb explosions look slightly off," "this interpolation made years before the project we're currently talking about even existed isn't as good at super high frame rates, mostly just on Epona" yeah bro, some real dire shit.

Look man, this port is excellent, but it also has its problems. For one, the QoL and options are dramatically fewer than SoH. Doesn't even have right stick camera control yet, let alone fun randomizer stuff that really gives these project legs, custom resolutions, etc. They're "planned" but none of us knows what that means or how long it will take.

That said, it's still excellent, these features missing do not make it shitty. It also can randomly experience a huge stutter for no reason, which I would cite as a far bigger issue than a single z-fighting instance on Hyrule Field or Epona's legs looking a little odd at super high framerates viewed from an angle.

No need to shit on one thing to enjoy another.

wutangflan

Aug 15, 2023
In that DF video they showed og N64 footage, kind of interesting how how organic the original edges look, I'm not sure what the entire reasoning behind that is, something to do with filtering? perhaps the 3-point filtering?

The filtering looks ok, its the higer resolution rendering and the effect that has on the anti aliasing, absence of dithering, de-dithering, the divot filter and other VI passes that are missing from the port. IMHO it all looks to clean and sterile, like the virtual console or an HLE plugin does.

RT64 will be much more accurate visually to real hardware than this currently is as they are looking to implement all that stuff, hopefully that trickles down into this as well.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
The filtering looks ok, its the higer resolution rendering and the effect that has on the anti aliasing, absence of dithering, de-dithering, the divot filter and other VI passes that are missing from the port. IMHO it all looks to clean and sterile, like the virtual console or an HLE plugin does.

RT64 will be much more accurate visually to real hardware than this currently is as they are looking to implement all that stuff, hopefully that trickles down into this as well.
I see, thanks for the insight on this! Great to know they are looking to implement these effects as even though I might not want to implement them all certainly some of them would be nice to use with my preferred display output (CRT). Such a cool project.

J Snow

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid question from a dummy but could this potentially be done for Playstation, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, etc? Or is it something specific about N64 and its games that makes it achievable.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Really hope we start seeing PC ports of various games emerge soon. I'd take a stab at it myself but given that it seems like you need to have some coding knowledge I don't think I'd get very far.

wutangflan

Aug 15, 2023
Stupid question from a dummy but could this potentially be done for Playstation, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, etc? Or is it something specific about N64 and its games that makes it achievable.

No there's nothing special about N64 games, a Jak and Daxter II decompilation is all but done done and starting to get PC ports, PS1 Silent Hill is underway too.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Which doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen for other consoles. It would just be a different project with different challenges, which might or might not be possible to overcome.
Well until you get to Wii/360/PS3, I don't think there will be a problem outside of maybe the original Xbox. You just need a few successful decomps to learn from and libraries to get built for GC/PS1/PS2/Dreamcast.

However, decomps and static recomps will need to figure out what they want to do for ingresses into the overlays provided by the operating system on gens from Wii/360/PS3 on which will be a challenge. I think this can also be overcome just the difficulty is much higher and needs a lot of persistence

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
No there's nothing special about N64 games, a Jak and Daxter II decompilation is all but done done and starting to get PC ports, PS1 Silent Hill is underway too.
That has nothing to do with this project. This is static recompilation, NOT decompilation. Static recompilation has not happened for any other 3D capable console so far, only N64. Could it happen with other consoles? Maybe.

wutangflan

Aug 15, 2023
That has nothing to do with this project. This is static recompilation, NOT decompilation. Static recompilation has not happened for any other 3D capable console so far, only N64. Could it happen with other consoles? Maybe.

Ok, I read their question differrently. I have no doubt that if this can be done with N64 then it can be done with other consoles too, just needs the right people.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I know this is currently exclusive to N64 games but thanks to this I have no doubt in my mind that someday in the next 10 years we will finally have Bloodborne on PC thanks to static decompilation hah.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
GN7vliXWkAAmiui

It looks like it''s adding 'detail' here:
GN70-npW4AA2WDP

The way the leaf pattern blends is different too, Is this an anomaly of using a high res or is the filtering different?
leafB.jpg
This is just from using high res instead of original res mainly + not using the poor analytical AA the N64 uses.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
people talking about bloodborne and other non-n64 games eventually getting recompiled in the far (far?) future ... but here I am hoping I can someday play super mario world at 120fps in ultra widescreen, lol

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
people talking about bloodborne and other non-n64 games eventually getting recompiled in the far (far?) future ... but here I am hoping I can someday play super mario world at 120fps in ultra widescreen, lol

You already can with WS project + lossless scaling. Same for all Sonic games.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
The GOAT gets dual analogue 😳

Just need ray tracing now and the playthrough can begin…

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking out loud a bit about what potential this could be from Nintendo's perspective…
Could this open up a better way for them to bring over retro games (N64, SNES, NES… etc) through their Switch Online? Right now, I assume those are pure emulations and therefore, are not recompiled to the targeted system, right? This would just be a fantastic way to be able to play any of their retro games. As well, going a bit further, could Switch Online type subscription also be used as a way to bring their retro games to other platforms such as PC, mobile, other consoles… etc? Maybe through cloud gaming like Nvidia GeForce Now. I imagine that can be a great way to gain a good amount of new revenue stream without significant impact to their consoles because people will still want to but their new games on new consoles. If there is enough revenue to pay for a team to dedicate to this, the possibilities seem endless if Nintendo can see this potential.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This has been so fun to play around with. Just patiently waiting for that RT update to do a full playthrough, oh baby =D

Darío

Oct 27, 2017

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
I was just thinking out loud a bit about what potential this could be from Nintendo's perspective…
Could this open up a better way for them to bring over retro games (N64, SNES, NES… etc) through their Switch Online? Right now, I assume those are pure emulations and therefore, are not recompiled to the targeted system, right? This would just be a fantastic way to be able to play any of their retro games. As well, going a bit further, could Switch Online type subscription also be used as a way to bring their retro games to other platforms such as PC, mobile, other consoles… etc? Maybe through cloud gaming like Nvidia GeForce Now. I imagine that can be a great way to gain a good amount of new revenue stream without significant impact to their consoles because people will still want to but their new games on new consoles. If there is enough revenue to pay for a team to dedicate to this, the possibilities seem endless if Nintendo can see this potential.
I you are talking about Nintendo releasing official enhanced versions of classic games thanks to this tools, they don't really need it. They have the source code of every game they ever developed, so if they wanted they can skip the process of decompile/recompile and just compile the game with another platform in mind (Using another graphics API and so on)

Darío

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else get REALLY bad skipping with VRR on with this?
It probably misbehaves if the target framerate doesn't match what your display allows. External frame limiters are a bit annoying to work with how this port generates the frames, as it generates them for what it thinks it's the refresh rate, not what something else artificially limits it as. Otherwise you end up with a lot of drift that ruins the frame pacing. I recommend comparing what refresh rate is reported in the menu option and what your display is actually doing.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I you are talking about Nintendo releasing official enhanced versions of classic games thanks to this tools, they don't really need it. They have the source code of every game they ever developed, so if they wanted they can skip the process of decompile/recompile and just compile the game with another platform in mind (Using another graphics API and so on)
Right, I meant for retro games which have since lost their source codes (Ahem, Squaresoft of old!)
As well, I feel this Zelda project serves as a pretty good indicator as to the quality of life improvements that fans want to see. Ultimately, if Nintendo see this as an opportunity, I think there is a lot of potential to make this into a NSO cloud gaming platform. Like I said, I see only positives in this from the perspective of a company like Nintendo if they embrace it.